LinkedIn

Updated December 12, 2014
4.5

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner
Jeff Weiner

Pros
  • This is a company that preaches and practices good work-life balance (in 64 reviews)

• Great perks, free food, nice offices, opportunities to travel to different locations (in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be improved Middle management needs more training (in 36 reviews)

• Onboarding seems tough since the company is growing; it's easy for new folks to get lost in the mix (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Unite Recruiting Coordination does not adhere to LinkedIn values

Current Employee - Unite Recruiting Coordinator in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Unite Recruiting Coordinator in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

LinkedIn as a whole is very impressive. People are inspired when they hear Jeff Weiner speak because: 1.) his ideas are very forward thinking, 2.) he tells stories about times when he has failed and what learned from them and 3.) he takes the time to acknowledge teams for their hard work. Contractors are able to attend company all hands meetings. This transparency is very encouraging. Free, delicious meals are a great perk.

Cons

Unfortunately Unite Recruiting Coordination does not adhere to LinkedIn's values. LinkedIn as a whole encourages transparency and clear communication on all fronts. These two qualities do not exist within this team. Often times upper level management does not tell the team about recruiting goals or expectations for the upcoming quarter. Also, Unite recruiting coordinators are not able to see their metrics in order to improve from week to week. Lack of feedback and clear communication between Unite recruiting coordinators and management does not help lift team morale.

Be as transparent as possible so you can lead your team to success. Acknowledge certain team members who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in order to lift team morale and inspire people to rethink how they can best contribute to the team.

Web Development Intern

Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Felt like a part of my team
    Work was right up my alley
    Great work-life balance and strong sense of culture
    Great cafeteria, high-quality snacks aplenty, beautiful campus, gym, gorgeous running trail
    Right next to Google HQ, so you know the area is top-notch

Cons

Company could be more unified (different teams have different ideas for adding contacts, for example)
    The LinkedIn Site is behind par compared to other top website companies

I was an intern and I had a perfect internship, except I was not accepted to return full-time. The problem is that I left the company wondering why I did not get the job, and the decision was a surprise to me. I just feel that management should make it very clear why and how they made their decisions, and that it should never be a big surprise as to whatever they decide on.

INcredible summer internship!!!!

Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Even as an intern you get to work on parts of the product that millions of people will see.
    The internship program is amazing. We were taken on all sorts of fun trips, including a trip to DisneyLand.
    The company culture is amazing, too. Higher-ups were always willing to take time out of their day to talk to me, even though I was an intern. Everyone who works there is phenomenally talented, and willing to help you learn and hone in on your skills.
    There's free and delicious breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. There's also a free gym, which you'll definitely want to take advantage of after eating all that yummy food.

Cons

Legitimately the only con I can think of is the fact that there's too much free, delicious food! I gained a LinkedIn 10, haha.

Keep up the amazing work. Thank you for being so open to my ideas, even though I was an intern!

Great Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The perks are awesome. Here, we have the persons who know how to have fun. Work life balance depends on your ambitious. With overwhelming opportunities to learn new technologies, know smart and experienced persons, investigate products and systems designs, and evaluate and build your own ideas, I sometimes got lost in what to do in our free time, such as inDay. We are encouraged to ask the company for whatever we expect and be brave to transform ourselves. LinkedIn is an immense platform for all employees. As long as you are actively [in], your gains will be incredible.

Cons

A little bit worried about the company expansion, which might have some negative effect on the culture. But I have the confidence that we will keep it right! We are still in a startup mode. To implement something, it might take a long time to investigate the huge code base for what you want without good documentation and proper guidance, which slows down the speed to some sort.

First of all, keep the culture from being affected by expansion. Reduce the meeting time and spare enough time to answer questions from employees about engineering, product, or anything.

A place you feel at home

Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Aside from all the shiny things (free food, great compensation, and a very fun and inviting environment) this company has made me feel welcome. The collaborative environment here at LinkedIn inspires relationship building and spurs creativity. Because of it, I understand how each team contributes, why each is important, and how I can optimize to be a better contributor myself. I feel encouraged to grow, but never pressured to over exert myself. This is a company that preaches and practices good work-life balance.

Cons

I do feel like there is ceiling at LinkedIn, but it is one that is at any established company. It saddens me to know that if I want to make something more out of my career like break into a steady high level 6 figure range or make a few million dollars, I'm probably going to have to move on to a different company.

I think what we have here at LinkedIn is very special. The environment, team, and aura here are outstanding. However, in our progression, I wonder if we're taking enough time to stop and look at where we are now. Sometimes I feel like we're not a cohesive application. Because of this, we've created an app that seems heavy.

Can we lean it up? I'm not sure, but if there is a way for us to unify the creation of our application, the same we you've unified the populous of the company behind one banner, I think we can gain much.

Amazing dream internship.

I worked at LinkedIn as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Extremely supportive team
    - Awesome food
    - Intensive projects

Cons

- Unclear recruiting process
    - Ambiguous working environment (to be expected in tech though)

Great company

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time

Pros

Company cares about employees. Work is well-organized.

Cons

Many deadlines. Stressful. Work-life balance could be improved Middle management needs more training.

Middle management: express more appreciation.

A Great place to grow as an intern

Former Employee - Talent Solutions Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Solutions Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LinkedIn as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

LinkedIn has the open-minded atmosphere that encourages employees to grow regardless of seniority. Even interns are encouraged to INnovate and challenge themselves to grow personally and professionally.

Cons

A disconnect between development teams in Mountain View and other teams seems to be growing.

Employee

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, values, benefits, work life balance

Cons

compensation not competitive, becoming politic

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is real and strong

Cons

Starting to get big and lots of politics that come with big companies

We're losing the clear focus on problems we once had. We are spending so much time figuring out who to include, how not to offend people, and what to report.