Linklaters

Be The First To
Add Photos

Linklaters Senior Partner David Cheyne

David Cheyne

work there is intensive, but you can lean a lot there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Linklaters as an intern

ProsLinklaters is a prestigious and a professional law firm. I love people there. They are very nice and smart. Everyday I can deal with different and interesting deals, which is enjoyable.

ConsPressure is quite big there. Cause everyone is very smart, you should work very hard to be outstanding.

Terrific place to work at

Secretary (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Linklaters full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are the happiest, friendliest group

ConsNo advancement in the company

Needs some direction particularly outside of London

I worked at Linklaters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance, maternity leave, Professional development for non-lawyers

ConsBehind the times, very political, unorganized

A Mixed Bag for Employees

New York, NY

I have been working at Linklaters

ProsLinklaters is a top-ranked law firm, and you do have prestige if you work for them. The benefits and pay (including top-tier health insurance, excellent retirement plans, and noteworthy annual bonuses) are among the best you'll find at a law firm. Most of the people are extremely professional and friendly, and HR has clearly made an effort to hire a diverse group of employees. Nearly all attorneys and support staff are exceptionally well-educated and many attorneys hired have expertise in multiple areas or have particular experience beyond a "normal" law school graduate-- ie, significant international experience, community service background, or advanced degrees in other areas along with their law degree.

There is an air of casual camaraderie and teamwork at the firm. Hours tend to be very flexible in times of illness or personal changes, and vacation allowances are very generous. The company is growing at a steady and significant rate and works with some of the biggest corporations, companies and other entities in the world. It has offices scattered around the globe, allowing for a good amount of cultural exchange, work on international projects, and the opportunity to be transferred to other offices for temporary assignments for both administrative and legal staff.

The firm is also heavily involved in community service projects and makes a good effort to promote involvement (fundraisers, walks, collections, emphasizing pro bono work, "green" office practices) among every level of staff. Linklaters also makes efforts to cultivate a "team" feeling with regular meetings among specific sections of employees, a large common room and other amenities such as pantries and coffee on every floor, two annual staff parties, and various social activities. The atmosphere is warm and employees seem generally content.

ConsThe bureaucracy is notable (forms, procedures, and "best practices" policies can be tedious) and things like which software programs are used can seem somewhat lacking compared to other law firms in the U.S. as Linklaters is based in London and often uses European systems and procedures. Some lawyers and staff find this frustrating. Upper management and HR has a tendency to spread important information haphazardly, often letting administrative staff know of important changes last or telling certain groups of attorneys certain information at different times, leading to general confusion over who knows what when, and who can discuss information with whom. HR can be a little too hands-off at times, seemingly leaving day to day evaluations and problem solving entirely up to individual departments (showing a lack of firm-wide consistency) and lacking in a centralized system to share complaints, ideas or concerns anonymously or otherwise.

While a corporate law firm naturally breeds a hierarchical system to a certain extent, not enough is done to ensure that staff and attorneys at lower levels are fairly and equally assigned work, leaving some attorneys and staff desperately swamped, and others literally twiddling their thumbs for days. This hierarchical system, as in many corporate settings, also breeds some mistreatment of newer employees (both attorneys and support staff) by more senior employees at Linklaters, but there is little recourse for complaints beyond simply moving on to another firm. "Politics" among even senior staff is also quite apparent at times, and personality conflicts are sometimes observed to have a detrimental effect on other staff not directly involved in disputes.

There is also a great disparity of knowledge among departments and higher/lower levels of employees within those departments (ie, many staff in one department have very little idea of what goes on in other areas of the firm, and within individual departments little is done to expand knowledge of the department's specialties for administrative and support staff). Administrative/support staff often seem frustrated by the lack of opportunity for career or other advancement along with the small amount of professional development opportunities. Attorneys can appear to be "pigeon-holed" into working on one type of issue, or with one senior attorney or on one particular matter, and it can be difficult to advance to other areas or expand experience beyond a narrow scope.

Advice to Senior Management--Work on improving how and when information is shared among various levels of staff
--Increase opportunities for administrative personnel to advance and gain professional development experience
--Outline a better plan for division of labor among staff in various departments, and better track who is working with whom, and on which issues to spread assignments evenly
--Eliminate as much unnecessary bureaucracy as possible
--Provide an avenue for employees to give anonymous feedback and suggestions
--Develop stronger learning programs to enhance employees' abilities to form good working relationships amongst each other and improve overall firm success

Great name

I worked at Linklaters

Prosgood branding and reputation. nice canteen

Consbad management in some departments

Advice to Senior Managementsupport more and give better training on how to be good managers

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Up and down

Legal Secretary (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Linklaters full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat facilities in the building and depending on which department you work in the atmosphere is good.

ConsTalks big on how well it treats it staff, etc. but rarely delivers. Some people have a severe lack of social skills when interacting with colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow up on what you promise to do for your employees. Really do value them and show them that you do.

Generally good

Trainee (Current Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Linklaters full-time for less than a year

ProsGood deal flow, very challenging work and a perfect place to learn

ConsLittle work-life balance and pay is not that good compared to the long hours

Good medical because you will be sick

I worked at Linklaters full-time

ProsGood medical, market rate pay.

ConsManager will not back you if you are trouble. Power struggles and presses down on lower ranked staff. Bad career prospect, seen colleagues stayed in same role for over 6 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy ask for candidates with strong academic background when it's not needed?

Among the world's best law firms

Solicitor (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Linklaters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIntellectually challenging work for a prestigious employer. Excellent remuneration. Very collegiate environment with folks from all over the world, but unified by cleverness and ambition. Opportunities to travel frequently and to work in one of dozens of overseas offices.

ConsHours can be tough, work can be difficult, clients/partners can be demanding. Low tolerance for mistakes and generally quite high pressure. Not the kind of place to be unless you are up for the challenge and have the brain (and stamina) to back it up.

2 years of traineeship

Trainee Solicitor (Current Employee)
Moscow (Russia)

I have been working at Linklaters full-time for more than a year

Prosexperience
high profile transactions
social benefits (insurance for all family members)

Consone of the lowest salaries in the market
bad attitude from many russian colleagues (compare to the attitude of english associates to english trainees)

Advice to Senior Managementraise salaries. often associates of other law firms (even us lawfirms) call LL employees "working as slaves"

Worked for Linklaters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Linklaters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Linklaters CEO David Cheyne. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Linklaters employees.