Lion Apparel

Updated November 1, 2014
Updated November 1, 2014
2.6

Stephen Schwartz

Great laid back working atmosphere.

I worked at Lion Apparel

Pros

Full time work, if openings happen in different department jobs are offered to existing emoyees first. Employees are permitted to celebrate holidays appropriately.

Cons

I worked at the Beattyville plant and the company consolidated plants and closed the facility I worked.

Corporate Finance Intern

Former Employee - Corporate Fonance Intern in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Fonance Intern in Dayton, OH

I worked at Lion Apparel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I liked working here, depending on which department you are working in. I worked in finance and was a friendly environment overall.

Cons

I thought that the company was consistently laying people off and the working environment was continually stressful.

None

Aug 4, 2014Staffing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We think the finance department is pretty great, too! We value our employees and promote a long term career at LION. While we haven’t had layoffs or feedback of a ... More

LION squeaks not roars.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at Lion Apparel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company although big can be family/friendly oriented. Everyone gets the same percentage bonuses, same percentage raise, and vacation time begins at the first of the year and ends at the last month of the year for everyone.

Cons

Very antiquated in thinking. Slow to advance, if at all. Senior executive administration have been here for years. The CEO is family so no one will ever get any higher on the pay scale than being his senior executive administration.

Corporate Headquarter employees make peanuts.

Take the fresh, new outside opinions of incoming staff. Really listen and understand they are fresh eyes and just wanting to improve the company for the better.

Reward employees for how well they do, not how well the company does fiscal year ending!!

Aug 4, 2014Staffing Manager

Thank you for the comments. LION is always looking for new ideas to advance and stay on the cutting edge with ideas and technology. Two of our core beliefs are “collaborating to deliver solutions ... More

BullEx one of the companies they have acquired - Very Unprofessional team

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Albany, NY

I worked at Lion Apparel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Involved in Design of Equipment and Electric Connections. Mostly electric field for those interested in the Electric Field.

Cons

1) Very Unprofessional: They will not care when they acquired you, they will still let you go if they find someone better.
    2) No one in the staff who are of non management positions has stayed more than 2 years with the company. (There is an extremely high turnover rate)
    3) Poor Management Skills: They have extremely bad management skills, they will not give you advice, they will not train you and they will expect you to do the work even if you are not trained for it or have never done it before.
    4) Very poor Interviewing skills: The Job description which I was interviewed for does not match at all what I was doing in the end. They assumed things during the interview and never ask about it during the process and then expect you to accomplish these things regardless and if you don't know how to do they will let you go.
    5) They don't care how much effort you put in your wok, even if you stay more than 12 hours a day working
    Over all I would not advise to work here. The people are very unprofessional and have poor management skills. This company will get rid of you in a second if they find someone better to do the job. No loyalty to anyone

You have a long way to go to improve your interviewing skills, management skills and respect for your employees

Aug 4, 2014Staffing Manager

If you would like to further discuss your experience, please contact me at escharrer@lionprotects.com.

Few Opportunities for Advancement

I worked at Lion Apparel

Pros

Laid-back office environment
    Good corporate citzenship projects throughout the year that involves fundraising, item collections, and off-site volunteering
    Some flexibility for working moms

Cons

Few internal positions ever open up and hiring from within is not a priority
    Poor planning and execution of special projects from upper level management
    Overworked employees with little time to get anything accomplished outside of essential job functions

Aug 4, 2014Staffing Manager

We do support and encourage internal promotions especially for positions where Lion has existing employees with a relatable skill set. That being said, LION frequently has positions in locations ... More

Only friends and family of Management get promoted...

Current Employee - Issue Line Worker in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Issue Line Worker in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at Lion Apparel

Pros

Pay is good, time off is good.

Cons

Don't expect to be promoted unless you know someone... or have testicles.

More equality as far as promotions go. People that work there for years shouldn't be put on the back burner for promotions just because you have a buddy that needs a job.

Lion Apparel Comments

Current Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Lion Apparel

Pros

Time off if needed was always given.

Cons

Upper management very difficult and miro managers.

VP's have got to stop miro managing and must be postive to employees and their direct reports. VP's go directly to managers reports and give direction as well as seems to think that it is acceptable to wear employees down to make them feel they have no worth.

Human Resources

I have been working at Lion Apparel (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Difficulty with getting improvements approved

Allow people the chance to make Lion better.

Aug 4, 2014Staffing Manager

We are glad you would recommend us to a friend. I think the people are great to work with as well! We are always looking to improve and finding new ways to collaborate, learn, and implement new and ... More

Warehouse worker that is required to do all positions

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Okinawa (Japan)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Okinawa (Japan)

I have been working at Lion Apparel as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is absolutely nothing that is good about this job. Stay away.

Cons

CEO thinks that we make fire fighting equipment, we actually issue government owned military issued gear to service members. Upper management is absolutely clueless as to what their job responsibilities are. Waste government funds on a regular basis. Paid to do a single job with no benefits. But do the work of a crew of 10 with the same pay. Absolutely no raises in over 2 years after talking to management over a year ago.

Fire yourself and hire people that know what they are doing.

Aug 4, 2014Staffing Manager

It is unfortunate to hear these comments. While I am disappointed you don’t like your job, I need to be very clear the CEO is daily engaged in the leadership of your division and does understand the ... More

Honorable industry - dinosaur management style

I have been working at Lion Apparel

Pros

Paycheck - don't stay long

Cons

Extreme micro management - rigid contol

Why bother - won't change