Lionbridge Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
2.6

Lionbridge Chairman, President, and CEO Rory J. Cowan
Rory J. Cowan

Pros
  • work from home whenever you want, excellent training via webinar and surveys (in 51 reviews)

• Pay-rate is decent, with flexible hours makes this perfect for stay at home moms (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also NO PAY for you to go over and learn new fuzzy procedures (in 16 reviews)

• Because of this, they grant no benefits to motivate you to keep doing your best work (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been happy for almost 4 years now!

Current Employee - Senior Internet Assessor
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Assessor

I have been working at Lionbridge as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I have kids. I like time for myself. I like to work when I want. I started working at the standard $13.50 for internet assessors. I put Major Effort in to learning what to do and after 3 years was given a promotion to Senior Rater for a lot more money. Senior Raters really matter to them and there is a lot of support, via quizzes, webinars and emails. But just because you work from home, don't think they aren't watching! I get a grade every month on my work. Fortunately for me it's always good. At my stage in life, it's a good job.

Cons

Constant learning as this business is always changing, and they don't pay you for that.

Great support staff for raters.

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are very flexible and provide adequate growth potential

Cons

Their compensation is not up to the mark, they need to revisit their employee package.

Hiring process takes ages

Current Employee - Technical Translator/Liaison  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Translator/Liaison in New York, NY

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time for less than a year

Pros

One is free to plan the working schedule. Work which is good for students, women on maternity leave, as small extra income etc.

Cons

Hiring process does not correspond to the tasks one is supposed to do. Filling their queries and waiting for test results takes forever (half a year for me). There is nothing so serious in the job tasks they give to have such a complicated procedure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Biggest in the industry

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big clients, room to grow, lots of solutions to offer to the customers

Cons

It's a big company so it's not aggressive as startups. I guess it depends on how you look st it

More innovative

Good, but to be expected

Current Employee - Contract Language Interprter  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Contract Language Interprter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Lionbridge as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

They give you the flexibility to set your own schedule, have a good enough pay rate, and you work in a professional environment; there is a very good work ethic and environment.

Cons

Schedule conflicts are very common, and I actually make more working on my own as a state-certified interpreter, or as a contract interpreter with other agencies. There is unclear policies or offerings to transition from contract employment to staff positions, and there is an unclear explanation in regards to scheduling and availability of assignments.

check first availability for local-based interpreters before bringing in people off-site.

It was......ok.

Former Employee - Drafting  in  North Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Drafting in North Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Lionbridge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lunch when you want and freedom of computers.

Cons

Boring work that takes more time than you can log.

...Hire someone how can o your work at the speed you want, we all don't have 20 hands.

Great if you are fast with a computer!

Current Employee - Web Assesor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Web Assesor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time for less than a year

Pros

You have complete flexibility to work when you want. Sometimes extra hours are available so you can work up to 30 hours in a week.

Cons

You have to do a lot of unpaid training.

None

Taking time to hire

I worked at Lionbridge full-time

Pros

Good company and work life balance

Cons

Less projects, people are siting idle for long time.

Bid some long term projects

Lionbridge tricks people into working for low wages by offering a high hourly rate that is almost unattainable.

Current Employee - Search Engine Evaluator
    Current Employee - Search Engine Evaluator

I have been working at Lionbridge as a contractor

Pros

The only two pros for this company are: the fact that you can work from home and make your own schedule.

Cons

They claim to offer a high hourly wage, and the recruitment process is very long and arduous. Once you are hired, you must go through many welcome seminars and browse the website to discover that you can only earn a small portion of what was promised. They have very high quality standards, but they limit the amount of time that you can claim for each task. The time limits are grossly unrealistic so that you are prevented from claiming anything close to the amount of time you've actually spent working for them. In order to do a good job, you are forced to work for free for a majority of the time you've spent with them. This is a terrible business model and I do not understand how this company hasn't been shut down for lying in order to get new hires. It's true that over time you might be able to get fast enough to get paid for the time you take to complete tasks, but you will lose a lot of money in the process.

Stop trying to entrap people by offering a high hourly rate. It would be a more honest approach (and the employees would be happier) if you were to offer minimum wage but actually allow the raters to be paid for the amount of time they spend working for you. Either that, or advertise the actual average of what your employees make per hour instead of deceiving them by offering the rate that a robot might be able to achieve if they could actually accomplish these time-consuming tasks well in the ridiculously short amount of allotted time they have. You can have extremely fast workers, or you can have extremely good workers. Not both.

Lack of Employee Focus, Political, and Individual Dependent

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I worked at Lionbridge full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Multi-cultural, Global Company, Fast-growth

Cons

No regard for employees and their contribution, Poor senior and middle leadership, Worst HR team and processes, Lack of regard for its people, highly political, Poor Knowledge Management processes, Nearly no employee training, Poor QA processes

Replace the HR team and make HR processes-oriented rather than people-oriented
    Improve Business Leadership
    Have Knowledge and Career Progression Process (should not change with changing management)
    Stop favoritism and schmoozing

Lionbridge Photos

The building
Lionbridge headquarters
Lobby

+ Add Photo

Worked for Lionbridge? Contribute to the Community!