Lionbridge

Updated March 3, 2015
2.7

Lionbridge Chairman, President, and CEO Rory J. Cowan
Rory J. Cowan

Pros
  • work from home whenever you want, excellent training via webinar and surveys (in 55 reviews)

• Pay-rate is decent, with flexible hours makes this perfect for stay at home moms (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also NO PAY for you to go over and learn new fuzzy procedures (in 16 reviews)

• Because of this, they grant no benefits to motivate you to keep doing your best work (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity once you get the hang of it.

Current Contractor - Social Media Internet Assessor in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Social Media Internet Assessor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lionbridge as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule -work when you want
    There are specified minimum work hours to continue to work in the program; however, I have rarely met the minimum and have not been penalized. It is wonderful to be able to work from home on my own time.

Excellent training and support
    The month in the program is rough, but there are plenty of training materials available to help. The Lionbridge team usually responds to any questions I have promptly and thoroughly. There are also webinars that are extremely helpful.

Great source of supplemental income
    I didn't expect this to be legit, but I was pleasantly surprised. You can earn a substantial amount of money depending on how much work you put in and the availability of tasks in the system. This is wonderful for those who work full-time and need supplemental income, students, stay-at-home mom's etc. Pay is well above minimum wage. Sometime I feel like I hit the jackpot finding this job!

Cons

Lots of unpaid time spent studying learning materials
    Again, the first month or two in the program is rough because there is a lot to learn in a short period of time. There are also exams and additional work that you must complete before you can participate - all of which is unpaid. I was offered a bonus for passing the exam, which is a plus. But does not even begin to cover the actual time spent studying the material. Once you begin working (unless you're a genius) you'll probably take a while to get efficient - which translates into hours of unpaid work. Every now and then they will introduce new tasks with new guidelines that you will have to learn. Again, you will have to study these materials on your own time, unpaid.

Lack of available work
    I only experienced this for one week since I started, but sometimes there is a severe lack of available tasks in the system. This could be frustrating for those who depend on the income they get from this job. For this reason, I can only recommend working this job to those needing supplemental income. Income is too unreliable to make this a good full-time job.

High expectations for quality and efficiency
    You are reviewed on your performance monthly and expectations are high. There's some leniency in the first few months, but afterward you are expect to perform highly or risk being removed from the program. This can make the job somewhat stressful. The job requires great critical thinking skills, so if you're not great in that area then honestly the job probably isn't for you.

No opinion

Great work at home job for anyone needing flexibility!

Current Employee - Internet Assesor
    Current Employee - Internet Assesor

I have been working at Lionbridge

Pros

Pay Rate
    Flexible Schedule (I have two young kids and I can work without needing daycare)
    Communication

Cons

Difficult Exam that comes in 3 parts
    Unpaid Training

My experience with management has been positive. Quick responses that are detailed and helpful. It would be amazing if the additional training (after already working) would be paid!

Might Work for Some

Former Freelancer - Internet Search Evaluator
    Former Freelancer - Internet Search Evaluator

I worked at Lionbridge (more than a year)

Pros

-good flexibility
    -good rate or pay for at-home work
    -can be interesting

Cons

-insane training and unpaid hours
    -constantly changing expectations
    -almost complete lack of communication, even when you ask for feedback
    -very long response times

Simply answering emails in a timely fashion and with something other than form letters might reduce turnover

I returned to Lionbridge after being gone for over 8 years and am very happy to be back

Current Employee - Human Resource Team
    Current Employee - Human Resource Team

I have been working at Lionbridge full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Growing Company
    Global Organization
    Many opportunities for those who work hard
    Recognition by leadership
    Wide scope of service offerings make things interesting
    Very diverse workplace
    Great work life balance

Cons

Market and customer requirements limit compensation changes
    Easy to get carried away with new work and opportunities

Continue to develop leaders and recognize high performers

Interesting work, and a legit work at home opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Internet Assessor in Penns Park, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Internet Assessor in Penns Park, PA

I have been working at Lionbridge

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay, mentally challenging work

Cons

tedious work, and lack of job stability.

communicate more with employees.

Good Online Part Time Work

Current Employee - Internet Assessor in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Internet Assessor in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Lionbridge

Pros

Determine your own hours, amount you work, vacation time, etc.

Cons

No face to face interaction, difficult to contact management.

Make emails feel more personal - make an obvious option for freelancers to reach out to an actual person.

Very subjective work. You can try hard and fail but it is worth a try.

Former Contractor - Ads5 Ad Assessor
    Former Contractor - Ads5 Ad Assessor

I worked at Lionbridge as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have health issues, so being able to log in when I wanted to and stop when I wanted to was great. No phone work, good pay, very flexible hours. Given multiple attempts to requalify after suspension for low scores or too slow.

Cons

I am fairly intelligent, and I studied very, very hard. I made copious notes. Sometimes I did very well, sometimes I did not. After two suspensions, I was let go from that position. Another was potentially offered, but they have not gotten back to me with the details or responded to my emails to question where the information is. There are only a few pregraded ratings per day to determine your score. Sometimes I got them all right, sometimes all wrong but only one step off.

First of all, if you rate an ad only one step off, it should count as correct. The work is so subjective and the ratings from RTA are not consistent. What is correct in one situation is wrong in the exact same situation another time. The training lacks. There need to be sections in the guidelines for the major types of ads and what to do in each situation. For instance - Ask.com, About.com, Hotels, Flights, Car ads, etc. The information is scattered, the guidelines do not give examples for many situations you come across.

Overall a positive experience.

Current Employee - Ads Assessor in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Ads Assessor in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Lionbridge part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, work at home, decent pay for what you're doing.

Cons

Responsible for your own taxes, no employer FICA contribution. Work can be repetitive and boring.

1099ing employees to me has always been a low thing to do. For all intents and purposes, I am an employee and not an independent contractor. It'd be nice to see a company actually treat their employees as such.

Internet assessor

Current Contractor - Internet Assessor
    Current Contractor - Internet Assessor

I have been working at Lionbridge as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule, work from home

Cons

No contact with other internet assessors. Do not always get adequate information on how to complete certain tasks.

Communicate more and give more incentive for increasing work quality.

Beware. This company has shady practices.

Former Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator
    Former Contractor - Search Engine Evaluator

I worked at Lionbridge as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They have a website to lure you in...

Cons

This company is not based out of the United States. They have a location in the country, but their headquarters is off-shore.
    That being said, Lionbridge gathered all of my information. Resume, income details, social security number, household information, and other information that generally should be kept private. All of this on the premise of taking exams and being hired. I kept getting emails saying "Your exam will be scheduled soon!"
    The exam never came. Finally, I emailed them asking for an update. Once again, "Your exam will be scheduled soon!" Another month later, their final email: "Following a recent review on IP checks the customer has not permitted entry into exam at this time."

So I can't even speak for the legitimacy of this company. They take all of your info, lead you along for a couple months, perhaps hoping you will forget about them? And then throw that paper-thin "reasoning" at me in dismissal. I plan to file with the BBB and advise people to stay away from this company.

If you're just farming social security numbers from Americans, you're going to get what's coming to you.

Lionbridge Photos