Lipscomb University

Updated June 8, 2014
Updated June 8, 2014
3.8

L. Randolph Lowry III

Great University with good values.

Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lipscomb University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere with Christian values.

Cons

Don't always follow up on event planning and some communication issues.

Great Communication goes a long way.

Cares more about bringing people in then retaining students and employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lipscomb University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Small but growing community of Christian lead management and staff.

Cons

There are is many events going on campus on any given day, parking becomes a large problem and finding place to park off site is necessary. Also, management seems very stubborn to change and does not have a good record of maintaining good relationships with staff and students.

Great place to work, great co-workers, but limited earning potential.

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lipscomb University full-time

Pros

The campus atmosphere is fairly informal and friendly, with lots of interaction with students and co-workers across campus. Leadership seems pretty progressive, with lots of growth plans and opportunities to expand an exisiting program, given the right circumstances. With a master's degree, the ability to adjunct is a positive towards supplementing a salary on the low-end of area average. Time off is generous, education benefits are good, and spouse/child discounts at campus school and university are higher than average.

Cons

Financially, my experience has been challenging, with little ability to grow a salary or be rewarded for expanded work responsibilities and education as a staff member. Leadership can be distant and hierarchical, and most decisions at the mid to lower levels get "committeed" to death.

Fantastic experience in a superb work environment.

Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Marketing and Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lipscomb University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work within the Lipscomb Athletic office are hands down the reason I would work here again if given the opportunity. Everyone was helpful, and although I was receiving my MBA from Belmont University down the road, the professionalism and courtesy I received from every employee was second to none.

Cons

The only challenge of working in the Athletic office is that there is not a lot of money and not a lot of room for growth. I would encourage more meetings for expansion ideas in the future.

Create a think tank for fundraising ideas. Every person that works in the office is talented and capable of creativity. Do not look over the human capital.

Worked at the Robotics Camp

Former Employee - Robotics Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Robotics Camp Counselor

I worked at Lipscomb University part-time

Pros

Lipscomb is like a Big family. They paid really well for a camp counselor. It was rewarding to work with the children and share a passion for technology. In addition, Robotics is fun!

Cons

None that I can think of

Safe

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lipscomb University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great place to work with many great benefits and coworkers.

Cons

The biggest down side is the pay is below market value. One of the greatest assets Lipscomb has are it's people but many are lured away with the opportunity to provide more for their families.

at least compete with the state schools on salary.

More concerned with image

I worked at Lipscomb University full-time

Pros

Small but growing, family oriented school, with many wonderful faculty/staff that truly care for the students. Many more programs offered to students. Great way to gain experience.

Cons

Parking is very limited due to growth and an increase in the number of hosted events, which makes students getting to class very difficult. Record student enrollment, new programs, and new buildings, but no additional headcount and compensation. Pay is well below the industry average.

Growth cannot be sustained without additional support.

I taught 3 years in the physics dept. along with Dr. Bradshaw and the former head of the department.

Former Employee - Part Time Physics Professor Or Science Professor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lipscomb University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lipscomb is an excellent religious class university and I was impressed teaching there.

Cons

Some of the faculty are not forthcoming in publishing a think piece supporting God against the Atheist community.

Be more bold toward the academic community and don't worry so much about various churches.

Great Company

Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Coach in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lipscomb University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented culture, great place to work

Cons

small school, everyone knows everything

Not too bad, but some changes to management style should be made.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Lipscomb University

Pros

Most coworkers are good caring people and are willing to bend over backward to assist you if you have a problem.

Cons

Employees fear termination if they voice honest opinion if it differs from the party line.

Upper management refuses to take advice from the people who actually work in their areas of expertise (and areas that management is not expert in).

Extremely high levels of micromanagement from upper management team, specifically president's office.

Management needs to wake up and stop wasting money on needless and unnecessary last minute changes or whimsical changes to the university. Management also needs to fire certain "qualified" people who say "yes" to everything management wants rather than stating what actually needs done. Management has put a state of fear into most persons in the university and most employees are in fear of termination if their stated opinion differs from that of highest management.