Liquid Web Inc.

Updated November 19, 2014
2.6

Liquid Web Inc. CEO/Founder Matthew Hill
Matthew Hill

Not as bad as previous reviews state.

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Phenominal benefits: 100% empoyer paid health insurance that covers your whole family, 401K, short term disability
    PTO accrues pretty quickly
    Free food and beverages all the time
    Relaxed, fun and friendly work environment.
    You recieve raises frequently and they are not just a measly 25 cents. 10% raises are not uncommon.
    I have never had an issue being heard. I am not related to anyone here yet I have consistently been able to walk into my bosses office, his bosses office and so on and be listened to.
    Working holidays always comes with holiday pay and a catered meal.
    You get a set schedule and aren't forced to work outside of it. It doesn't change frequently.
    There is a lot of opportunity to move around in the company, many of these opportunities are considered lateral moves though.

Cons

Starting pay can be a bit low but folks need to keep in mind that this isn't a Linux admin position, it is cPanel admins, Linux techs for the most part.

You hire professionals for various positions for a reason. Trust those professionals and let them do their jobs, it is not necessary to micromanage everything. Take a step back and realize how much the company has grown over the years and allow it to be treated as the larger company it has become.

Good place to get experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Easy to get in the door
    * Healthcare was quite good (BCBS) with low deductibles
    * Trips to Cedar Point, Detroit Lions, Detroit Red Wings, etc.
    * Holiday Parties
    * Casual dress code
    * Working with newer technology
    * Flexible scheduling
    * Geek culture is quite prevalent
    * Decent employee workstations with most having dual monitors

Cons

The pay is the biggest con. Employees were starting off at $12/hr and there wasn't much flexibility in that, so they couldn't attract good candidates. Once in awhile a really good employee would come in and we would end up having to rely on them to be a rockstar. Eventually they would grow tired of that and would find alternative employment making a lot more money elsewhere. The talent dump from the place is sad, as there have been some very good employees there from time to time. Some stay, most have left.

Nepotism is kind of an issue with this, as friends are hired in and promoted faster than others. This is not always the case as I was not friends with anyone there when I started and only made a few friends while I was there and still managed to get quite the pay raise and promotion. While I feel like I was not making fully what I was worth, I feel like my salary was within 5k of what I should be making.

Some of the hires made me scratch my head as well. We would get people in that would know nothing about Linux and would still make the same as some Linux allstars. This created animosity among staff members.

The last con is that this job is located in Lansing, MI. The city is not doing very well economically and seems to be in a further decline. It's sad to see as someone who grew up in the area.

Really consider paying more for less, better skilled people. Retain talent and offer incentives to keep people working at Liquid Web.

No appreciation. Revolving door. No clue what they're doing

Former Employee - Supervisor in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The honest to god best part of this place is the people not in management or above. The people on the ground level doing ALL of the lifting for the company is what is keeping this place alive.

Cons

Where to being:

Sexual harassment is basically allowed

Constantly dogging the customers

Treating their own employees like they're less than dirt

Revolving door at leadership. In the last year there's been two different COO's and neither are qualified for that position

The training team consists of flame outs from other departments who weren't good at their jobs to begin. On the training team you have one ex supervisor who stated out loud he was only a supervisor because he wasnt good at his job as a linux admin, mind you he was a supervisor for the linux admins, who is now on the training team to train you guessed it linux admins. The guy in charge of the training department was rejected for a position in the mentoring program which works with admins on the floor in training and helping improve their skills. He was given a tryout and failed miserably. Now he's in charge of the entire training department. Gives your company alot of hope with decisions being made like that.

Communication is virtual non existent

I can't stress the lack of leadership by middle management and above. You might as well do what you want and wait and see if anyone catches on

The review process is one of the worst i've ever see. A example would be one review that has the comment "Best Attendance in the company" With the rating of needs improvement. Makes sense right?

They've ran out all of the talent in the Lansing area and are now getting walmart level employees.

They don't pay competitive wages. You will most likely start at 12-13 a hour.

No telecommuting

After about 5 years in the company they look for ways to faze you out if your not in the clique of upper management.

Promotions are highly dictated by who you're friends with in the company.

The company fights any unemployment claim even if the company releases you for no fault of your own

There's alot more that can be written but you can get the picture to see how many issues are going on here

Get real professionals aka a real ceo or coo to come in and run the company.

Company started around the same time as another company in the industry yet that company hired a real coo and is 10 times the size of this one. Why is that?

Treat employees with respect

Pay real competitive wages or offer telecommuting

You will work your butt off, and struggle to make rent...

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provided full coverage healthcare, that is the best pro about working here.

Many departments to choose from! 90% of them with the same crap tier pay as the phone-jockey support you start out in.

Can get away with slacking, nobody really cares as long as the numbers "look" good come report time. This can get very irritating for those who do real work, and don't just buddy-buddy with a supervisor or play the stats.

If you know remotely anything about Linux/web-hosting, this can be a place to learn more. Get in, get educated, then get OUT!

Somewhat lax company policies. But as the place becomes more and more corporate, I see them slowly slipping away and being replaced with thicker employee handbooks every year...

As long as you are cool with the in crowd, the atmosphere is nice to work in. Can be a nightmare for new-hires, or those without a backing friend on the inside going into it.

Company does on occasion have some nice parties and catered events, But you are kinda made to feel like that makes up for the extremely low pay.

There is no dress code whatsoever, Just don't show up nude.

It's not mickey-d's... But only better by a smidgen.

Cons

--There are many challenges to working here, But the largest by far is the pay. Everybody knows its a huge issue, but nobody is doing anything about it. Look at every review below mine, heck even the good reviews main bad points revolve around the low pay. I can't remember a day working there where someone didn't complain about their financial issues... That says something about the place, and creates a miserable environment at times.

The kinds of financial issues I see fellow employees struggling with are not ones of want, but rather necessity. The kinds where employees cannot scrape together the money to buy a working car after vehicle failure, and end up walking/biking to work. The kinds where legally required car insurance becomes "optional" because you have to keep the power on in your apartment... Not fun stuff.

There is a huge lack of proper communication from higher-ups to lower employees. This can create a whole mess of issues.

The workload, It is very overbearing at times.

The generic apathy of upper management to do anything about the real issues of the company.

If you offer any ideas that threaten anyone with power, you'll be be scrutinized and removed.

Watching the small company I loved working for back in the day turn into a sloppy, corporate, it-factory.

Knowing that I could get around the same rate of pay if not more working unskilled labor at a factory.

Retain the people needed to run the core of the company. Thats a big one!

Retain employees that are worth it.

Implement some form of tiered support, or at least recognize your senior admins with senior pay.

Retain employees that are worth it.

Stop hiring incompetent people to fill desks. If this is not possible at least train them properly before letting them admin live servers.

Stop pretending that everyone is at the same level. Some employees/departments are better than others, and should be paid as such.

Implement some form of supervision/checks for the middle management, or hire ones that can do the job.

Retain employees that are worth it.

This from another review about sums it up,
    "Pay your employees what they are worth, $13 an hour is not a realistic figure for a full time Systems Administrator position. Quit with the extravagant parties and expenditures and put those funds into your staff, without your staff your company is nothing."

Real bonuses maybe?

Warning: Don't Rock The Boat

Former Employee - Linux Server Administrator/Grunt in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Linux Server Administrator/Grunt in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good insurance, free food every two weeks, free beverages. If you have established friendships with co-workers or more 'senior' staff, life there is pretty tolerable. Lax dress code and unless you're a total tool, most people are friendly.

Cons

The pay is horrid, even if you bring oodles of experience to the table. The senior management and many of the mid-tier management are oblivious to any suggestions that might improve the pervasive feeling of 'this place sucks' that most staff have. If you deign to point out shortfalls of the company, or point out that there are management failings, you will quickly find yourself being the subject of a witch hunt. I know this because I was one of those who tried to get changes implemented and brought up that my fellow co-workers were not pulling their weight and/or not suited to the tasks. Result? I was terminated with no more than a cursory "Your services are no longer required."

Don't apply there if you expect to become a rockstar, unless you're prepared to swallow the upper management kool-aid and toe the corporate line. Any resistance is futile and you'll be quickly made to feel unimportant, ignored and ultimately discarded. I don't predict a bright future for this company, as their bottom line is about lining the owner's pockets with more cash for his luxurious lifestyle, not paying intelligent and bright talent what they're worth and mostly playing catch up to the real leaders in the web hosting industry. When they hire people that can't spell, but fire people with more than 12 years of Linux experience, you know something is broken.

Stay away. Don't rock the boat if you do go there and become an butt kisser, you'll be fine -- if you can't do that, you'll only be tossed overboard as they slowly sink pretending they're the best in the industry.

Get a clue. Your attitudes are going to bite you in the rear end, and soon.

Going downhill fast

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time

Pros

Casual, relaxed environment
    Good PTO and benefits
    Healthcare included

Cons

Pay is low
    Difficult to work your way up the wage ladder
    "Promotions" or moves to other departments come with meager pay raises
    Stressful work with little to no recognition

Pay employees more.

Excellent for entry-level

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low barrier to entry - no real experience needed, just a good understanding of LAMP
    Excellent 5-week training program for new-hires.
    The culture is great, a place you can befriend a lot of your co-workers.
    The perks are cool, but no where near enough to make up for low pay for good workers.
    Work-life balance is great; if you can let go of the stress when you clock out for the day.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Pay does not scale with experience or effort. Almost everyone gets the same raise, and people who work hard go unnoticed a lot of times.
    Being selected for a team outside of Support is considered a lateral move without raise.
    The metrics used for determining 'hardwork' seem purely based on ticket count.
    As supervisors only have this metric - quantity over quality has become highly prevalent.
    The best employees are not pro-actively retained and generally leave. (Have to get a job offer to get a living wage, etc.)

Management has heard these same cons over and over, failing to acknowledge that they are a real issue.
    Until customers start leaving because of quality-drop in support, nothing will likely change.

Quite pleased with my time here

Current Employee - Software Tester in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Software Tester in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and the overall work environment.

* Paid health and dental insurance
    * 401k (3% Match)
    * Various events throughout the year
    * The freedom to try new things

I haven't had much issue advancing in the company. Those complaining about that probably aren't performing to a level that would warrant advancement. I'm also not "friends" with the executives, either.

They also have occasional "State of the company" type meetings.

Cons

The pay may not be the best compared to other companies, but this is countered by the considerable benefits of working here as described above.

I might recommend having some sort of open door policy or way for employees to run ideas up the chain. Also, seriously consider them, and if not viable, take the time to explain why it's not.

Work here to learn a lot really fast, but don't stay too long. It's a job and not a career.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Lansing, MI

I worked at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Coworkers and Environment
    2. Experience. You will learn a lot, but some of what you learn is not applicable to mainstream.

Cons

1. Pay. Everyone complains about the pay (even the managers). When you ask for a raise, they act like they are paying you 6 figures.
    2. High School environment. There's definitively a cool crowd here. If your not friends with someone before going in, good luck!

1. Quit hooking up your friends and actually consider your other employees that are not your friends.
    2. Give outsiders the opportunity to get hazed so that they can be part of your fraternity.
    3. Don't require employees to beg/complain for a raise. Notice good performance and reward them for it.

Work anywhere but here.

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Liquid Web Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health insurance. That's literally it. If I have to go on, I guess I could say there are SOME nice people there.

Cons

Executive leadership doesn't actually lead the existing issues that are directly inhibiting the company from growing properly. Wages are absolutely abysmal. It seems that management promotes a relaxed company culture in order to allow the workers to accept that they're earning a fraction of what they should be. The departments are encouraged to be as hands-off and lazy as possible while being incredibly aggressive when challenged. They're making more money hands down but the workers never see a penny of it. We have no idea where it all goes. The company prides itself on having "heroic" support but the support department dies in a fire every day and sales is told to lie to customers regularly. The overall management attitude is hostile and uncaring.

Listen to the people you have under your belt already. There are some very good ideas floating around from people who feel like they mean dirt to you. Raise your wages up to respectable rates and you won't have to build whole new offices in Ann Arbor to try to hire dirt cheap developers (this is terrible business analysis by the way, Ann Arbor will be nothing but expensive for you). Hire college kids and pay them what they deserve. Open up your doors to new management. Boot out Matt Hill if you have to considering he doesn't even work at the company anymore and does nothing but interfere with progress. No, you don't have a recruiting problem; you have a recruiting problem for people who will work for your crap pay. Remove all management that interferes with progress as the company culture is rooted solely within them. TALK to your employees; every single one of them should know who you are and you should know who THEY are. Be more industry aware, there are companies that are running circles around you that could be copied. Quit jumping to the newest technology when your existing tech isn't complete. Build your infrastructure properly!