Liquidity Services Reviews

67 reviews filtered by
2.6
Liquidity Services Chairman and CEO Bill Angrick III
Bill Angrick III

Pros
  • Good location in downtown, good colleagues (in 6 reviews)

• good health insurance, DC office location, interesting business model (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance situation is really out of control even by the beltway bandit standards (in 5 reviews)

• The hours, the poor project management, the turnover, and the wasted talent (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company and great opportunities

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time

Pros

The company is doing all the right things to make sure it is poised for growth, particularly starting in 2016. The company is building all the right infrastructure to make sure we are around for many years to come.

Cons

Growth this year and the early part of next year will be relatively flat as the company makes sure it has the right plans and processes in place for rapid growth starting in 2016.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate the vision and plans for the future of the company.

Gain whatever experience you think you need and leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty much manage your own time
    Not overwhelmed (could be a good or bad thing)
    Good Benefits (I gave 3 stars in Compensation and Benefits just for this reason)

Cons

Like the title says..get whatever experience you need and leave. The yr+ that I've been here the company had layoffs after going through a civil suit/ losing contracts. Since then the company has put out some surveys to get a gist of how the employees feel and I assume the results sucked. They've attempted to boost morale by holding "montly mixers" and even HR attempted to hold meetings with any one who considered themselves a high aspirations employee to help them with their goals within the company. They both were meh. Not many people come to the mixers and there has been no follow up since these meetings, they were basically thrown together. The ppl who have been here for yrs seem to be happy with just coming to work everyday not doing much but looking at a screen. If you luck up and your title fits you may get a office or you can just telework and come in 2 times a month. Or you'll be like the other folks who come here see what type of "ish" show and find another job and leave all within 30 days. If this reviews sounds bitter, trust me Im not. If you are a person who actually likes to learn and do challenging things at a company that cares about its employees and their growth then this is not the place for you. If your ok with a mediocre life and just want to have below average pay and suck up to the right people until you get a promotion to a position where you learn as you go, then you'll love this place!

Boring (morale is low)
    No growth (high turnover rate in sales and marketing)
    Salary is not the average but also could depend on what dept you're in

Advice to Management

None. Too much to type.

3. Don't Work Here

Former Employee - Warehouse in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Garland, TX

I worked at Liquidity Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benfits. The people I worked with were great to work with. The pay was ok but way under paid for the work you did.

Cons

Upper management is part of the good ol boys. A lot of mangement came from Amazon and if you were part of that group you get to keep your job. The company had a lay off last year of 10% of it's work force and none of the good ol boys were let go. On the same day of lay offs people were promoted to VP and dirtectors postions. Most of them were the good ol boys. Stocks last October were around $20.00 a share and now are around 9.00 a share. IT department sucks for an internet company. Upper management doesn't listen to employees or promote from within.

Advice to Management

Need to listen to the employees and fire all upper management and get new blood in there.

5. A great company to work for

Current Employee - Help Desk Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Staff dedicated to stellar customer service.
    Company executives dedicated to life / work balance of staff, and overall well-being
    Great advancement potential
    Company invests in employees

Cons

Might provide more opportunities to work from home

Advice to Management

Very good advancement potential

Was a great place to work at one time

I have been working at Liquidity Services

Pros

Line managers really care about their team members. There is a real family feel in the DC-HQ and Arizona offices. Flexible work schedules for a good balance with personal responsibilities. Creative freedom. Relaxed culture.

Cons

Leadership. As LSI has changed leadership the culture which made the company great is quickly vanishing and being replaced with nepotism and the good ol' boy network. Beyond the obvious lack of vision and direction the CLEC team has lost touch with the people that made LSI great.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people that matter. Hold executives accountable. Dump Truck Center.

Fantastic but Ended Abruptly with Unexpected Layoff

Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Washington, DC

I worked at Liquidity Services

Pros

The people on my HR team were fantastic! We worked as one collective unit -supporting each other, sharing knowledge - total team work - it was my favorite job I had ever had in my life!

Cons

Other groups of the company were not as cohesive. Employees were fearful about the continuity of the company, promised bonuses were not paid out, salaries were below market. Morale was low in most teams.

Advice to Management

They have a lot of data from the engagement survey which clearly identified how the employees truly feel. Make some sweeping changes and listen to your valued employees.

Avoid working at Liquidity Services, Inc. at all costs

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Liquidity Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a handful of good people that work in the DC office and a few operations units around the country.
    Decent salary and benefits

Cons

The leadership in the retail supply chain group is absolutely abysmal. As mentioned in other reviews, the team that came over from Amazon is quite possibly the worst group of sociopaths I have ever had the misfortune of working with in my career. For the most part, the leaders in the "Amazon rejects" group value visible performance more than actual performance. If you do your job, are not a self-promoter, and didn't get booted out of Amazon for some unknown reason, you may be on the chopping block when the next round of reviews or layoffs comes around. On the other hand, if you are in the old-boys network of Amazon rejects, you and your job will be safe, irrespective of your lack of productivity, qualifications, social skills, or leadership abilities. I saw people in leadership positions hibernate for months, without a word on a conference call, KPI call, etc. and somehow avoid being terminated or laid off.

Overall, the current situation that LQDT is dire. Either the management makes some tough decisions and closes buildings and eliminates redundancies in the organization on both the govt and retail groups, or the entire ship is going to sink. For starters, there are more VPs and directors in this company than you could ever imagine. Based upon their skill set and overall competence, many of these individuals would be lucky enough to land a gig working the deep fat fryer at a Kenny Rogers Roasters. I don't think it would be too difficult to eliminate some of these jobs without affecting the organization one bit.

Advice to Management

You need new blood, new ideas, and a reorganization of the leadership in the RSCG. If you continue with this team, you will not be able to stop the downward slide of the organization.

Advice to the CEO-"stay positive"

9. Liquidity Services is on the right track

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Liquidity Services

Pros

The culture of the Houston office is fantastic and always fun. It feels more like we are still our own small company but we still get the benefits of being affiliated with the industry leader in our field. There has been a lot of new blood entering the company the past few years which is very refreshing. There are some very accomplished individuals that I consider myself lucky to learn new things from.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of direction on where we go from here. Our division seems content with farming the existing client base rather than seeking out new opportunities to hunt. I am not 100% confident that the right people are in place to grow our existing client base well beyond what it currently is. There is talent in other areas not being fully utilized especially when it comes to sales experience and drive.

Advice to Management

There are individuals who may not have the seniority of some in management but they came to this company bringing a wealth of experience that needs to be at the forefront leading and making better decisions than have been made over the past few years. Reign in outside sales and focus the department on expanding our client base. There are opportunities out there to be had if the right leaders can be put into place. Luckily, I feel like we have these people on our team ready to be utilized.

10. Many positive changes over the last year

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office environment is good and most everyone is friendly and has a sense of humor. Benefits are very strong with some of the best medical, dental, and 401K plans available. The team at LSI is very passionate about the business and cares about each other and the customers. It can a fun place to work and there are multiple team events during the year to better get to know everyone in the office. The company does a great job of identifying and rewarding people who do a great job and are good team members. There continues to be a lot of career opportunities as the company evolves and changes and I have seen several colleagues and team members earn well deserved promotions. One of the biggest pros for me is that the CEO of the company also founded the company (15 years ago). Like a Michael Dell or Steve Jobs, he could retire but continues to work very hard and has a deep passion for the company. Compared to many CEOs I have worked under, he truly understands the business and thinks long term. I have worked at 4 different companies over my career - and this is the only place I’ve been where I enjoy coming to work on Monday mornings.

Cons

As the company grows and tackles challenges, there continues to be changes made which can be uncomfortable at times. There are periods of work that can be quite intense in order to meet customer or project requirements and there is related stress just like in any meaningful job. There are pockets of the organization where talent, innovation, and accountability needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

Continue to try to put the best person in place for each position in the company. Upgrade talent where needed and develop an experienced team that can be engaged as the company growth rate accelerates and additional leaders are needed to manage the growth. Take your time in analyzing decisions and get input from multiple sources to get a clear understanding of the benefits and risks of strategic decisions.

Great company to work for but losing it's grip on where it came from

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Offers excellent benefits and pay. Multiple opportunities in multiple locations throughout the U.S. and other countries. Great products and services that appeal to both buyers and sellers

Cons

The company grew very quickly and had a lot of great success stories. This I believe to led to the eye being taken off the ball. With some recent mis-steps we are all now feeling the effects of management making decisions that take from the people who helped get the company to the top of it's game. Also, there are several marketplaces that make up LSI that are run separately and cause distractions.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics and let us do what we used to be able to do. Merge all marketplaces into one and become the next ebay, Amazon, etc.

Liquidity Services Photos