Liquidity Services

Updated January 21, 2015
2.4

Liquidity Services Chairman and CEO Bill Angrick III
Bill Angrick III

Pros
  • Good location in downtown, good colleagues (in 6 reviews)

• good health insurance, DC office location, interesting business model (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance situation is really out of control even by the beltway bandit standards (in 5 reviews)

• The hours, the poor project management, the turnover, and the wasted talent (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Moved on.

Current Employee - Technology in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Technology in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time

Pros

You get to read all these funny Glassdoor posts about a place you used to work. The reviews here all contain some truth.

Cons

Start with lost knowledge. I think there may be 3 people in IT that still know how anything works, and those people are even busier than I was because everybody needs their knowledge and experience. Everybody else who knew things quit, and the rest of the staff has been around for a year or so at most. Then there are the hours and the emergencies. I have never worked that much in my life. Projects aren't managed, they are thrown over the wall to the technical staff. Business side of the house seems to care very little about any of this, and continue to run things as they have, which is poorly. I'll end on pay, which is way too low for any of this stress. Almost nobody got a raise last year and the salaries are much lower than the market.

Downsize on the business side. Remove the departments that only create work for the IT staff and no profit. Concentrate on value. You are very disorganized, and your technology department pays the price. Offer some training. Enforce reasonable hours. Eliminate offshore operation. Stop doing new things until the old things are stable.

The IT department has a couple good leaders left and is hard working. The business should take advantage of that and not lose what they have left by stressing everybody out.

Absurdly boring office culture. It is the least collaborative, eerily quiet work environment I've ever been in - and I worked at a library in college.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office location.
    Health insurance.
    Some smart, helpful people in upper management roles.

Cons

Culture. Window-less cube setup. No training. Laundry list of operational inefficiencies.

Listen to your employees and realize that it is difficult to work under someone who has never done your job before.

Lack of direction, disorganized. Some good folks but generally not those in charge.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I have been working at Liquidity Services (more than a year)

Pros

There are some supportive team members around which can definitely make it easier to do your job. It can help make the work environment a little better.

Cons

There is a lack of effective communication between admin and employees. Don't expect to really grow in this position.

Horrible business model, poor leadership, toxic work environment, and more!

Current Employee - Channel Optimization Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Channel Optimization Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary and benefits, decent location in DC, accessible by metro

Cons

IT failures: Look at the reviews and the one theme you see over and over is that IT is a mess. I can’t count the number of times that a critical system has been down. Often times we have associates in our warehouses pushing brooms because our warehouse systems have crashed. In addition, customers come to the warehouse and can’t pick up their items because we can’t ship them.

Toxic work environment: A few years ago the retail group was dominated by a select group of individuals who had worked previously at another very large e-commerce company. This fraternity ran the operations side of the business and had NO CLUE on how to run a reverse logistics operations. Every single program that they pushed was a complete and unmitigated failure. You can walk into any of the warehouses in the network and see the remnants of their hair brained schemes (hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted on electrical, network, racking, conveyors, etc.). This expense is nothing compared to the amount that was spent improving the warehouse management system which is an absolute disaster. All of these failures were rewarded with promotions, bonuses, and accolades by the upper management for years until earlier in 2014 when there was a management shakeup. As a result of the shakeup, most of these employees have left for greener pastures. There are a few members of this “fraternity” left. They support and shield each other from well-deserved criticism and protected each other during the layoff.

Layoffs and instability: LQDT announced a layoff in October. 10% of the workforce was laid off-many of these people had been with the company for years and were key players in warehouse operations, sales, and marketing. In addition, other employees have just disappeared off the rolls with no explanation other than the employee “no longer works for the company”. To add insult to this, a select few individuals were PROMOTED during the week of the layoffs. This is a textbook example of poor leadership. The VPs, and directors who put this together obviously do not know or care about the perception of their employees.

Lack of leadership: Bill Angrick is a ghost in the office. You can work on the 6th floor in DC for years and see him only a handful of times. He is completely disengaged from the culture and operation in DC. I get it; he is the CEO and should not fraternize with employees. But when the ship is sinking fast, you ought to make your presence felt so that you can bolster employee morale.

General Management: Clean house of the fraternity of incompetence that remains in operations. We get it, these people worked at a successful e-commerce company back in the day. This does not qualify them for anything in the reverse logistics world. They protect each other at the expense of the company and are the PRIMARY REASON that your operation has failed.

Bill Angrick-Do you know what is even going on in your company? Do you care? When is the last time you really took a look at the leaders you have selected to run the business? I suggest you either get involved quickly or retire and start building ships in a bottle or take up needlepoint.

CFO-Your people think you are a loose cannon. Try to act like a professional and think before you speak. When a leader in your position goes off on a rant, it makes us cringe. We question your ability to lead the company, step up and show us that you are someone worthy of our respect.

To all of the directors and VPs who took promotions after the layoff-shame on you! You have lots of work to do when it comes to trying restore respect from your direct reports. Your relationship with your employees may be irrevocably broken.

This company is NOT good for your career

I worked at Liquidity Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location downtown DC, other than that there are no positives for working at this company.

Cons

Poor quality technology, poor quality managers. Bad general culture. Be careful, for you could loose several years of your working life wasting time at this very low quality company. Finally I would add that this is a no name company which future employers are unlikely to recognize.

Break company up into logical units. Get out of low quality businesses. Create a coherent long term plan.

Full-time employee

Current Employee - IT in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT in Washington, DC

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health benefits were above average and location is great. Lots of nice, hard-working team mates.

Cons

Senior leadership team seem to lack care or concern for their people. Bonuses were promised then suddenly taken away with no explanation even though we are working 60+ hours a week and doing the jobs of 2 people.

Power, ego, and fear are how these individuals manage. There is no trust and it is a very toxic environment where these leaders will curse at you, call you names, talk about you in front of your peers. Now to make matters worse, the company just laid off the only people who seemed to care at all about us in HR.

If you do not take time to repair all the damage you have done to us, LSI will fall. Open your eyes and focus on the fact that nearly all of the employees in IT have shared they are looking for another job with one another.

They need to get it together

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Liquidity Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They're growing very fast (not sure how since they treat employees terribly), so if you start out in a lower level role, they'll quickly give you new things to learn and lines to add to your resume.

Cons

work-life balance is awful. They're headquartered in downtown DC and they expect employees to be able to get there on time every day at the exact same time. At the very least, they could offer some sort of flex scheduling... but again, this is all HR who, again, could care less about their employees and their well-being. The pay is also pretty bad considering they start asking you to take on more and more responsibilities but they don't pay you for the actual job you're doing.

Get rid of the HR VP. He has no idea how to run HR. They are continuously changing how they do things and it never seems to work out. Every decent HR person left and there's probably only 1 or 2 HR folks that give a crap about the employees and their welfare. To the CEO - your people are your most important assets... I've heard you say it once or twice, and yet you have quite possibly one of the only people in the HR World that could care less about employees. Get rid of him and I bet you'll see a huge improvement.

So-So

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Cranbury, NJ
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Cranbury, NJ

I worked at Liquidity Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy operating warehouse equipment (forklifts, reach trucks) so the job was familiar and I had fun doing it. The benefits were pretty good and my coworkers were cool.

Cons

Lousy pay, no room for advancement, micromanaging general manager who didn't know how to treat employees. Goals that were not attainable and regularly forced us to work our weekend. I can't speak for any other location, but I worked in Cranbury, NJ and it would have been a decent place if not for the poor management style and degrading nature of the management.

Show your subordinates some respect and we'll go above and beyond for you. Disrespect us and, well we don't get paid enough to put up with being talked to like children so... you'll have a lot of turnover.

Great company

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

very friendly atmosphere, easy to get to office and management very helpful in moving career forward

Cons

I don't believe I have been here long enough to have major cons. I just wish there was more opportunities to get a full-time position in area.

Join this company if you have no other place to go

Current Employee - Senior Liferay Developer in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Liferay Developer in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Liquidity Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, compared to other companies

Cons

H1B visa holders don't even think
    No Road map for IT division
    Too many Directors and architects
    No work life-balance
    One liner requirements from Product owners

Invest in some projection tools, don't just hire and fire people at will.

Liquidity Services Photos