Liquidus Marketing

1.6

Todd Holmes

Dissapointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great
    Great 401K matching
    Opportunity to work on a variety of projects/skills

Cons

Short-sighted. I felt like there was a lot of potential in the products, but with constantly shifting direction/priorities because of trying to please every whim of clients/prospects, the products all suffered, but more importantly the people working on them.

Turn-over. Quite a few people left from frustration, and a bunch of key people were let go at really bad times for the products.

Working at Liquidus was frustrating and confusing.

I worked at Liquidus Marketing

Pros

Since misery loves company, it was nice to know many of my co-workers were as fed up as I was.

Cons

There was no real leadership or direction given for achieving results. Everything was just thrown at you and expected to be resolved. My manager was never around for scheduled meetings, and then would scold me for not being aware of what he expected of me three weeks later when we finally met. He would assign me tasks and never follow up an anything I provided him. I felt like no one there knew what my duties were; they just kind of made everything up as they went. Despite the fact that we all worked in the same room, there was little to no communication between departments. Everyone was on their own.

Have a success plan in place and stick to it instead of continually putting the cart before the horse. You can't expect your employees to have a focus and goals for completion when you are continually switching things up on them. Decide if you want to be a software development company, or a sales organization, because you are currently doing both badly.

Plenty of challenges

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Liquidus Marketing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were usually very enjoyable to work with, and there were the occasional after hour parties. Very 'youthful' place to work. Decent location, right next to the highway and not too far from Union Station.

Cons

Very focused on results, at the expense of employees and morale.

Many late nights, no real project management methodology other than "here's what we need to do, go do it." Expect to be (literally) yelled at and treated poorly if you suggest that the project plan may not be feasible or would take more time to do properly.

Lack of communication regarding products and offerings and how they tie into individual responsibilities.

Non-competitive salary, below-average benefits.

Treat employees with respect. Foster a cooperative and enjoyable work environment.

Silicon Valley wannabee stuck in dreary Chicago

I worked at Liquidus Marketing

Pros

When I was there I was able to work on some interesting video-based and web-based projects and that allowed me to get more experience doing professional-level work in some areas I hadn't dealt with before. It also (for better or worse) was an eye opening experience as to what "startup mentality" companies are like and who works for them.

Cons

In my time there I was yelled at by my boss in front of everyone because he didn't like the way a last-minute rush job that he threw at me was done (lots of things were expected to be done at the last minute because many employees were overworked and management didn't plan ahead properly/overpromised).

I also hated the morning "status update" chats that went on there. It was annoying and only the same few people ever talked (they just liked to hear themselves talk I think). More than anything, it was a way for management to see everyone who was there each and every day at 8am (no accounting for poor/often delayed Chicago bus service, delayed trains or bad traffic).

Oh, and the health costs were way overpriced. I was expected to pay approx. $175/mo. for single person coverage - I've never had to pay that much at any job (the job before that only charged $80/mo.). And they also didn't help with CTA fare (deducting it from pre-tax pay) or anything. They always gave off this vibe like they were doing you a favor working there. Whatever.

I should also mention that management had favorites and if you weren't one of them, you were outright ignored, given less than stellar equipment/software and even critiqued/observed far more (no doubt to find ways to get rid of you).

While Liquidus was not the worst job I've ever had, I would say it is an example of a company I would want to avoid at all costs in the future. It was all just too hipster-ish and Silicon Valley-centric. I think the folks there forgot they were in freaking Chicago and that for most people, a job is just a job - they have no desire to live and breathe it.

Also, the pay was pretty lousy - not even above $40k...I only took the job originally because I wanted a change of pace work-wise and the commute wasn't going to be all that different time-wise. I ended up quitting there after half a year because it was just too much stress and I wanted to not work for a company that looked down on me and what I had to offer.

I would say work on how you talk to employees - NEVER yell at an employee - no matter what - in front of anyone else. You will lose their respect immediately. Also, stop with the ridiculous meetings and get those CTA/healthcare costs down - there's no reason a single person should have to pay $175 for a company provided PPO plan. Ridiculous.