Liquor Depot

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Dinning

Work is a lot more difficult than expected and compensation from the company is terrible.

ProsWillingness to work around schedule with my other job, Coworkers are incredible, Staff discount after 3 months (biggest pro)

ConsStores were commonly understaffed and employees are paid very little for the actual amount of work that they do.

Good Part-time job for school, but cuts corners on staffing

Many Hats (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFlexible hours for school
    Discount is handy
    Good staff
    Promotion is available if you show the skills

ConsNot for older employees with kids
    Favourtism by some upper management
    Can promote too quickly, no proper training hours available
    Staff hours are cut too low for proper staffing, especially on stores that need restructuring and repair

Advice to Senior ManagementYou spend more money on replacing staff than trying to keep good ones, pay them better than minimum wage and offer incentives other than "promotion" which often is used as a stop-gap effort to keep the store open. Most locations have more key-holders than regular staff.

It's alright...

Keyholder (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat management and staff, and the DM is really nice. Head office has been changed around, so they don't seem as unorganized as they have been in the past... I am finally being noticed, and have been offered a promotion for Assistant... i am curious to find out what the salary will be. Head office under pays sales clerks, you get a .25 cent raise every six months you're started at 10.50 and after 3months you have a chance to be promoted to key holder which will entitle you to a 1.00 raise to 11.50. The wage caps out at 13.00/hr and then you will be put up for review and if you qualify or work hard you may be promoted to assistant manager if you show that you want it.

ConsStarting wage should be more, there should be more incentives offered to staff (bonuses, GC, etc). Theres no funding for staff christmas parties, and everyone is expected to work on christmas eve.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your bonus with the staff purchase incentives with a part of it to act as a contest in order for staff to strive to work harder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like working for someone that has no idea what they are doing!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsA good employee discount that makes it possible to try different items.

ConsThe office is awash in inexperienced people that are incapable of running a large business. Buying and Marketing in particular.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people running your stores, or at least ask them what they think. Match their pay with your expectations, pay is way to low at some of the levels in the stores.

Good job for part-time work during university

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros-Most management comes from the store level manager, so if you have a good store manager life will be good.

Cons-Could be better run from the top down
    -Incentives could better be tied to the work you do and the success of your store to lessen attrition

Advice to Senior Management-Find a better way to tie pay to performance

Communication is the key to success.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPlenty of customer services skills obtained. Variety of products to be educated about. Room for growth and flexible hours. Good health and safety guidelines.

ConsLess then acceptable wages paid to store management and staff given the work demands. Minimal support from H/O to managers, better support from DM's to managers. Not enough recognition provided from the H/O level who views the numbers. More training would be a positive for store security and product knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy suggestion is simple, get inline with wages and benefits. Provide more support to Store staff as they are your Ambassadors and hear more customer feedback then H/O does. Treat all stores the same big or small, money makers or money takers...reduce favoritism and reward all for effort.

good company

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Canmore, AB (Canada)

Proslaid back management for the most part. Good work life balance and had flexible hours - open from 9-11 so chance for shift or 9-5 work. High turnover, good chance for inter-store advancement

Consdecisions made at higher levels with minimal employee input. Lots of unnecessary work was created by some strange purchasing policies. Hard to advance out of store

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more employee support with new policies/purchases

Frustrating.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsMet a few nice people to work with, if you work hard they notice (usually) and it's easy to get promoted.

ConsThey don't pay enough for the amount/type of work you do (at least me) & at times it was un-safe (robberies).

Advice to Senior ManagementReally recognize the people who put time/effort into their work and don't treat them poorly and use them up until they are sick of it all.

Stressful and questionable company management.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat learning experience if you want to know about wine and liquor. Some locations are better than others for learning about wine for instance.

ConsManagement of the company was pretty ridiculous sometimes. They order product company wide instead of catering to what each individual store needs. This causes extremely stressful and frustrating stock conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store management and realize that you don't quite have a grip on what's going on at the store level..

enjoyabe, learning new things, and my customers

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsA good location, customers are fantastic, the staff works like a team, hard work, learning new things like products, being able to educate on products

Consnot enough hours, afternoon shift all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your staff the credit and good job they do, a pat on the shoulder to show them you appreciate their good work

Worked for Liquor Depot? Contribute to the Community!