Liquor Depot

Jim Dinning

Not a long-term option

Former Employee - Retail Clerk in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Liquor Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you want to get into retail, they will give you a chance, and even let you open the store by yourself in short order.

Cons

I explained my schedule when I was interviewed, but they kept scheduling me when I said I couldn't work. The bosses can't stand to see anyone idle, so they come up with some inane busy work.

Huge and bad employer

Former Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, most of coworkers were nice and hard-working individuals, convenient location, free uniforms, not too much to list here though.

Cons

To begin with, this business is one of the most expensive ones for the customer. Yes, it is big "fun" to explain people why this or that bottle is cheaper almost everywhere around.

Very low pay rate, high employee turnover (I was promoted from Cashier to Keyholder within a couple of weeks because people were leaving), little to no product training. Manager watching employees timing and actions using CCTV shows very little trust to own employees. And after I gave my quitting notice, worked for two more weeks and left in good standing, the ROE stated Dismissal instead of Quit. It's just a shame!

Pay your employees decent wages and learn how to respect them.

Get your act together

Former Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can not see any direction that will work

Cons

Up and down directives from upper managment

Get a plan and stick to it

Work is a lot more difficult than expected and compensation from the company is terrible.

I have been working at Liquor Depot

Pros

Willingness to work around schedule with my other job, Coworkers are incredible, Staff discount after 3 months (biggest pro)

Cons

Stores were commonly understaffed and employees are paid very little for the actual amount of work that they do.

Good Part-time job for school, but cuts corners on staffing

Former Employee - Many Hats in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Many Hats in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours for school
    Discount is handy
    Good staff
    Promotion is available if you show the skills

Cons

Not for older employees with kids
    Favourtism by some upper management
    Can promote too quickly, no proper training hours available
    Staff hours are cut too low for proper staffing, especially on stores that need restructuring and repair

You spend more money on replacing staff than trying to keep good ones, pay them better than minimum wage and offer incentives other than "promotion" which often is used as a stop-gap effort to keep the store open. Most locations have more key-holders than regular staff.

It's alright...

Current Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Liquor Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and staff, and the DM is really nice. Head office has been changed around, so they don't seem as unorganized as they have been in the past... I am finally being noticed, and have been offered a promotion for Assistant... i am curious to find out what the salary will be. Head office under pays sales clerks, you get a .25 cent raise every six months you're started at 10.50 and after 3months you have a chance to be promoted to key holder which will entitle you to a 1.00 raise to 11.50. The wage caps out at 13.00/hr and then you will be put up for review and if you qualify or work hard you may be promoted to assistant manager if you show that you want it.

Cons

Starting wage should be more, there should be more incentives offered to staff (bonuses, GC, etc). Theres no funding for staff christmas parties, and everyone is expected to work on christmas eve.

Share your bonus with the staff purchase incentives with a part of it to act as a contest in order for staff to strive to work harder.

Like working for someone that has no idea what they are doing!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot

Pros

A good employee discount that makes it possible to try different items.

Cons

The office is awash in inexperienced people that are incapable of running a large business. Buying and Marketing in particular.

Listen to the people running your stores, or at least ask them what they think. Match their pay with your expectations, pay is way to low at some of the levels in the stores.

Good job for part-time work during university

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Liquor Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Most management comes from the store level manager, so if you have a good store manager life will be good.

Cons

-Could be better run from the top down
    -Incentives could better be tied to the work you do and the success of your store to lessen attrition

-Find a better way to tie pay to performance

Communication is the key to success.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of customer services skills obtained. Variety of products to be educated about. Room for growth and flexible hours. Good health and safety guidelines.

Cons

Less then acceptable wages paid to store management and staff given the work demands. Minimal support from H/O to managers, better support from DM's to managers. Not enough recognition provided from the H/O level who views the numbers. More training would be a positive for store security and product knowledge.

My suggestion is simple, get inline with wages and benefits. Provide more support to Store staff as they are your Ambassadors and hear more customer feedback then H/O does. Treat all stores the same big or small, money makers or money takers...reduce favoritism and reward all for effort.

good company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Canmore, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Canmore, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Liquor Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

laid back management for the most part. Good work life balance and had flexible hours - open from 9-11 so chance for shift or 9-5 work. High turnover, good chance for inter-store advancement

Cons

decisions made at higher levels with minimal employee input. Lots of unnecessary work was created by some strange purchasing policies. Hard to advance out of store

provide more employee support with new policies/purchases