Liquor Depot Reviews

Jim Dinning

Not a long-term option

Former Employee - Retail Clerk in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Liquor Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you want to get into retail, they will give you a chance, and even let you open the store by yourself in short order.

Cons

I explained my schedule when I was interviewed, but they kept scheduling me when I said I couldn't work. The bosses can't stand to see anyone idle, so they come up with some inane busy work.

2. Working at Liquor Depot is not "The Dream", but it has certainly opened a lot of doors for me.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Liquor Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a super easy and straightforward job. You help customers and deal with stock. If you're willing to spend your shift doing your job and learning as much as there is to learn they'll take notice and move you up as quickly as they can.
    Not including Christmas holidays, I've always gotten any time off that I've requested.
    It's generally a small staff in each store so you really get to know your co-workers and develop a level of comfort in a way that you might not in larger stores.

Cons

The raise structure isn't the greatest. Promotion is essentially the only/best way to get raises at a reasonable pace.
    It's a liquor store company so you do have to be certified by the government to do the job and you must be prepared to deal with a whole new level of difficult customers, homeless people, intoxicated people, violent people, and thieves of all different skill levels, shapes, and sizes.

Compensation should factor in not just performance, but also location and unique challenges.

3. Decent job

I have been working at Liquor Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get the chance to make some money while in school

Cons

The pay is not that much

I would say pay more but it's kind of not realistic

5. Huge and bad employer

Former Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, most of coworkers were nice and hard-working individuals, convenient location, free uniforms, not too much to list here though.

Cons

To begin with, this business is one of the most expensive ones for the customer. Yes, it is big "fun" to explain people why this or that bottle is cheaper almost everywhere around.

Very low pay rate, high employee turnover (I was promoted from Cashier to Keyholder within a couple of weeks because people were leaving), little to no product training. Manager watching employees timing and actions using CCTV shows very little trust to own employees. And after I gave my quitting notice, worked for two more weeks and left in good standing, the ROE stated Dismissal instead of Quit. It's just a shame!

Pay your employees decent wages and learn how to respect them.

6. Horrible upper management

Current Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Liquor Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun workplace, great regular customers

Cons

Upper management uses manipulative techniques to get assistant managers and trainees to take over stores at the lowest possible rate, and constructively dismiss those they dislike

Look after those who make sure you make your salary.

7. Get your act together

Former Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can not see any direction that will work

Cons

Up and down directives from upper managment

Get a plan and stick to it

8. Work is a lot more difficult than expected and compensation from the company is terrible.

I have been working at Liquor Depot

Pros

Willingness to work around schedule with my other job, Coworkers are incredible, Staff discount after 3 months (biggest pro)

Cons

Stores were commonly understaffed and employees are paid very little for the actual amount of work that they do.

9. Good Part-time job for school, but cuts corners on staffing

Former Employee - Many Hats in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Many Hats in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours for school
    Discount is handy
    Good staff
    Promotion is available if you show the skills

Cons

Not for older employees with kids
    Favourtism by some upper management
    Can promote too quickly, no proper training hours available
    Staff hours are cut too low for proper staffing, especially on stores that need restructuring and repair

You spend more money on replacing staff than trying to keep good ones, pay them better than minimum wage and offer incentives other than "promotion" which often is used as a stop-gap effort to keep the store open. Most locations have more key-holders than regular staff.

10. It's alright...

Current Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Liquor Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and staff, and the DM is really nice. Head office has been changed around, so they don't seem as unorganized as they have been in the past... I am finally being noticed, and have been offered a promotion for Assistant... i am curious to find out what the salary will be. Head office under pays sales clerks, you get a .25 cent raise every six months you're started at 10.50 and after 3months you have a chance to be promoted to key holder which will entitle you to a 1.00 raise to 11.50. The wage caps out at 13.00/hr and then you will be put up for review and if you qualify or work hard you may be promoted to assistant manager if you show that you want it.

Cons

Starting wage should be more, there should be more incentives offered to staff (bonuses, GC, etc). Theres no funding for staff christmas parties, and everyone is expected to work on christmas eve.

Share your bonus with the staff purchase incentives with a part of it to act as a contest in order for staff to strive to work harder.

11. Like working for someone that has no idea what they are doing!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Liquor Depot

Pros

A good employee discount that makes it possible to try different items.

Cons

The office is awash in inexperienced people that are incapable of running a large business. Buying and Marketing in particular.

Listen to the people running your stores, or at least ask them what they think. Match their pay with your expectations, pay is way to low at some of the levels in the stores.