Lithia Motors

Lithia Motors Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Sid DeBoer

Sid DeBoer

Lithia Motors sucks

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsHours I work are mom-fri and let me leave when I need to

ConsEverything else including wage, benefits and workplace environment

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management is making 6 figures, no reason to have help making less than poverty

Brutal

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Medford, OR

ProsLarge group with advancement opportunities if you can adapt to the Lithia way. Process driven and focused not an outside the box organization.

ConsHours are long and expected to be long. If you don't want to work 13 hours a day you are thought of as lacking ambition.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff to enable all to share work and family and become more productive in the process

Opportunity awaits

ProsPay is great, with great potential to move up

ConsLong hours and days off will vary

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable Employment if you want to live in a small town and never crawl out of the lower-middle class

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrand new state-of-the-art LEED-certified home office in a redeveloping downtown Medford, stable company with a strong NYSE stock and a good stock purchase program, Medford has great weather compared to the rest of Oregon, new generation of senior management, active in the community, good training programs

ConsThey can't attract talent due to their small pool (Medford) and won't pay the salaries needed to bring in top talent, The company stability in Medford has created a bastion of "sacred cows" (nepotism) and a convoluted management structure of old school and new school senior managers who step on each-other's toes, Medford is a 5 hour drive from "civilization" (Portland) and the airport has limited and expensive flights and shuts down often in the winter for those trying to escape, To get any culture one haves to live in Ashland, ZERO dating pool locally for singles, company is expanding yet not adding bodies to keep their stock strong which only benefits Wall Street and Senior managers, company "core values" are on paper only, medical insurance coverage is below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating (paying) your non-senior employees, pay to attract some top talent, time to clean out the old-generation and broom a lot of the "sacred cows" who work for the company...Shake some things up and innovate!

Family? I have a family?

Business Manager (Former Employee) Missoula, MT

ProsPay is good, most of the people are, too.

ConsLost days off due to sales events, work until you're done, as a woman I was paid $500 less than my male counterpart who started a year after me and his percentages per sale were higher. Didn't inspire me to make the big sales AND there's a cap on how much you can make. LOTS of down-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to your employees. They make or break your company. There were 3 GMs in the time I was there. One wasn't there almost at all, another was OK but you didn't always get the sense you could talk to him if there were issues and the last was very difficult to deal with. He would change policies without telling you first then yell at you if you somehow missed the memo (there was a memo?!). Your employees have families. I'm sure that it being the car business, it's important to sell cars, but your employees have families, lives they deserve to enjoy. Their life is NOT the company. They owe the company nothing. It would be good to stop treating them like cattle. There were days I would go in at 9 and come home around midnight. During the summer this was more common than it should have been. Also, If you did not make your expected # of sales you were put through a meeting with the GM and GSM where you were told how bad you are at your job but that they'll keep you there for another month. I'm paraphrasing. It's demoralizing. Employees are well aware when they're not making the sales. Their paychecks reflect that and you can bet it is kicking them when down to have that meeting. How about working on training instead? Focusing on what is positive and proven ways to improve. Paying them appropriately helps, too.

Very Pleasant

Business Office (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

Prosrecognition from local managers, decent pay and benefits

Consthey were a revolving door, no one stayed, except local management

Advice to Senior Managementhigh paid managers and poor management skills dont work. dont promote great salesmen, because they are great salesmen, but promote them if they have the skills and patience to positively develope staff. Otherwise staff will continue to turn.

Sales/Service Advisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly and positive work environment.

ConsThere could be a revision of their training methods/structure.

Decent Auto Sales company to work for

Auto Salesperson (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsGreat group of colleagues; fair commission; good training

ConsNone - typical of auto sales

A short-lived, but positive experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Santa Fe, NM

ProsEncouraging and energetic sales management team

ConsBonus/commission structure unclear - perhaps spend more time providing a detailed example.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I worked here Fall of 2009, and the management team was great.

Sales/finance manager/internet manager

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsEasy to transfer to any where there is a Lithia store

ConsOutdated equipment and horrible talent department and untrusting. They need to shut down and restart from scratch.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been with Lithia for about 6 years they have great values. Get past your good ol boys club and go into every store with a fresh look. Take a look at each stores management and make sure they have what you are really looking for because most stores don't follow the rules you set into place. They know when the big shots are coming to look at the stores and they create a mirage for the big shots to see. Most of the managers are not recognizing good talent because they are wasting there time with bad talent which happens to be their friends. Go threw and have everyone reapply and see if you would still want them in your store because most of the people you would re interview you probably wouldn't rehire. The hiring team aka the talent team sucks. Half of them don't understand the business and find people that don't fit into the positions they are hired into. Lithia just needs to start all over from square one.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Lithia Motors? Contribute to the Community!