Lithium Technologies

Lithium Technologies Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff

Rob Tarkoff

Pros:
  • "Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past"
    in 10 reviews
  • "I like the downtown San Francisco offices"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "There has been an ongoing revolving door in the sales staff and the consensus is that although the product is sound it is very difficult to sell"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Vibrant, rapidly growing company with a great vision

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros- Approachable, capable executive team
- Passionate, friendly, helpful peers
- Fun & unstuffy environment
- Sophisticated startup feel
- Great perks

Cons- Need to consolidate some of the systems/tools we are currently using to increase efficiency across the board

A social company that just can't seem to find it way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsLithium has some good legacy people but they are disappearing fast. I like the downtown San Francisco offices. They call themselves a "Start-up" and try to portray that vib. Keep in mind they have been in business for over 13 years.

ConsWow where do I start? If you are thinking of taking a position with lithium, you will be working for incompetent and total absentee managers that will not provide you any type mentoring, team building or support. Don't expect performance reviews, merit increases or much one on one time with your manager. KPI's are unheard of. The amount of favoritism, back stabbing and politics that goes on will make you want to move on. The sales staff are completely incompetent. They are unable to close business without bringing in the "lithium bus". They don't seem to be able to articulate the value proposition of Lithium and its products.

The product just doesn't seem to be that easy to sell. There has been an ongoing revolving door in the sales staff and the consensus is that although the product is sound it is very difficult to sell. Only a few have met their quota's over the past few years.

IPO is always talked about but as I mentioned earlier, Lithium has been in business for over 13 years and can't seem to generate consistent revenue quarter over quarter which may mean no IPO for a long time.

There is not much encouragement that comes from the top levels of the executive staff only extreme pressure which make for a a very unsatisfying work environment.

The product needs to be enhance to give them a competitive advantage. There are other solutions out there that do a much better job of positioning themselves against Lithium and they win in many cases.

The company needs to take a step back and look at where it came from and where it want to be in the future. It needs to bring a little fun back to the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck!

Flag Review

Lithium Technologies Community Team responded to this review

Mar 21, 2014

Thanks for your response. We're bummed to hear your experience with us wasn't the best. Working at Lithium, there are many things to be proud of, but there is no shortage of things for us to ... More

Amazing Vision and Huge Opportunity in the Market

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsCEO is truly genuine and authentic with a real passion for winning. Employees are motivated to achieve their goals. Recently a lot of focus on "Good to Great" is getting the employee base fired up!

ConsWish they had a South Bay Office, although once you get to SF the office is really cool.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, and continue to invest in your employees -- it shows!

Great place to work at. Talented and dedicated individuals.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Emeryville, CA

lunch

Conslocation could be better
management needs to change
food could be better
hours can get bad at times
space
nothing else

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Uncertain future for a seemingly promising company

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsThe customer base is incredible and the product has great potential. The new SF location is easy to get to although the commute on Bart is rough. The benefits are solid and competitive within the bay area tech field.

ConsThere is a tendency to hire from the outside rather than promote from within which has meant a huge loss in retaining the top talent. For a company that builds an online social media product the employee base has almost no young people. The sales, services, marketing, and support groups have almost no technical knowledge yet work with an inherently technical product. Upper management is grossly disconnected from the reality of what is going on. As a result uniformed decisions are frequently made, setting teams up for repeated failure and burn out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the talented employees already working for you and recognize them with more than hollow words. They carried the company to the place it is today and have knowledge going completely untapped that will disappear if you continue to take their work for granted.

Feels like you are on a sinking ship being here

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLithium is a company with a proud history and some remaining long time employees that are not only great people, but phenomenal colleagues. The customers we get to work with are outstanding as well.

ConsThe negatives continue to multiply on a daily basis. There is a revolving door in terms of turnover with a new long-time colleague leaving seemingly everyday. Management has a muddled message and seems to be losing the faith of the team consistently. Overall company goals have been missed for several years in a row. IPO seems further and further away. And the treatment of former employees being shown the door conflicts with the values plastered all over the website and HQ walls.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some integrity and humility vs playing the CYA and blame game. It's getting old!

Fast paced, great people, and fun

Director Level (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for less than a year

ProsRapidly growing and expanding company with exceptional opportunities for advancement. Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past. Great management team that has been successful in their past. They also check the boxes for San Francisco tech company (cool office, free food, fun events, nice technology, etc)

ConsWith growth comes challenges. Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Amazing Internship

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Lithium Technologies as an intern for less than a year

ProsLots of people to ask for guidance and help
Friendly and fun people to work with
Lots of company events
Free lunch

ConsMostly older more senior people

Rapidly Growing, Smart Career Move

Senior QA Automation Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork Culture, Office Design, Free Lunches

ConsCommute to SFO, Medical Insurance is high from your pocket

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove Lithium brand awareness

Proceed with caution; leadership is running a sinking ship and what's with all the fake reviews below?

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsSome great customers, product works as described. There were some great employees at one time but they seem to be disappearing slowly.

ConsThere is a revolving door when it comes to sales due to lack of direction from the executive staff, management and even marketing. Territories don't align with opportunities. Don't expect to achieve your quota easily.
From the top down, leadership is very threatening rather than inspiring. No job security for anyone in sales.

There seems to be an incredible amount of internal politics within management which results in employees feeling intimidated to speak up.
There are limited advancement plans. I've been there for over 3 years and haven't had a job reviews nor have I had any feedback on performance. Speaking with many of my co-workers they feel the same.

No 401 K match

As someone else mentioned, been "Pre-IPO" for years-- plans for IPO are always "1-2 years out" and it seems to hang on revenue attainment which is a big issue here.

You will be selling a nice to have, not a need to have.

Leadership doesn't have a clear direction whan it comes to the product. He's just not a technologist.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt might be a good time to really connect with your employees on the front lines. Time to renew your focus!

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Lithium Technologies Videos

Lithium Technologies – Why Work for Us?

Lithium is proud to be a Glassdoor Employees' Choice Award recipient, as one of the Top 50 Best Places to Work for medium-sized companies! Here at Lithium, with our new digs in San Francisco, we're fully decked out… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lithium Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff. All 96 reviews posted anonymously by Lithium Technologies employees.