Lithium Technologies

Updated September 10, 2014
3.5

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 10 reviews)

• One possible pro is that they are based in downtown San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that (in 6 reviews)

• Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I have worked in many organizations and trust me when I say this place is a dream. I am an individual contributor, and treated with respect, and valued.

Cons

I really wish I lived closer. My commute is a bear. But, because I love what I do, it makes it more palatable.

I wish the conversion process was faster. As a contractor, it would be nice to be a regular employee since i have been here well over 6 months.

Great Place to work. Great People. Great Culture.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am surprised by all the negative reviews I see. I have been working at Lithium for 6 months and have had a great experience. It is true that we had to let some people go and I along with everyone else hated it but from what I saw it was done very well. Everyone was given a package and they were also given cobra coverage and out placement support. I have always said that the only type of company I can work for is one that treats their employees with dignity and respect and that is exactly what I saw. Change can be very hard and frustrating but I really do believe they did the best they could. The next day our CEO had an all hands to talk about the business and the changes they were making and why. He has made himself available for questions and I believe he means it when he tells people to come to him.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. The Klout integration is still going on. It wasn't handled perfectly but I have never seen an integrations that has been.

It seems like you are moving in the right direction. Keep it up!

Hm...

Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

A recent refocusing on the products, sales, and market. Really great things happening as a result. Some really great people have recently joined and we are already seeing results of their work impact the business. Opportunity is still the largest Pro and always has been in my opinion. Opportunity for both career development in our organization and opportunity for market share.

Cons

I guess we can always find something to complain about. But I don't want to feed any negative energy by providing fuel. It doesn't mean that I am not thinking critically about our company by not listing cons. It just means that I do not see a need to publicize them.

The underpinning business components are well on their way to being very strong. All of us need to continue working together towards better communication, training, and culture. While it is important to stay focused on our customers, we also need to stay focused on everyone within the company. I understand how hard mgmt is. Keep it up. - J.F.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work with cool technologies on a product that really gets used and makes a difference.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consistently growing revenue stream based on well know customers that use the product at scale. This has lead to predictable growth and stability at the company that has allowed for consistent execution of plans.

Very experienced and talented engineering management team hired a couple years ago to bring fresh blood and energy into engineering. This has meaningfully transformed the culture of engineering here into a place of experimentation and innovation. Its been really cool to inject modern big data technologies into our application and make it able to do things that at one time felt impossible.

Nice environment. Engineering is on the 14th floor of an office building in the financial district of San Francisco. Its a really bright and uplifting environment. We get catered breakfasts and lunches and an unbelievable snack and drink selection. A lot of young people work for the company so there are always a lot of opportunities to make friends and socialize if you want to.

Good experience. We get to do real things and are held accountable. I always feel like I am being asked to learn something new. I feel like I am paid well and the bonus program is real. If you work hard and produce you will be compensated well.

I believe in the marketing vision of management. What this really means is that I think that someday when the company goes public the stock could be worth some serious money. That's exciting to me because I've worked in start-ups for which that was not the case.

Cons

We have a huge installed base of existing customers. This means that decisions are tempered and constrained by the expectations of existing users. This means that sometimes we have to do a lot of what feels like "extra work" to satisfy existing constraints. Sometimes things will move slower than we want them to because of work we have to do to satisfy previously incurred technical debt.

The environment is fast paced. We work hard and constantly have to be improving our game. Sometimes I get tired.

Be transparent. Nothing is ever all positive or all negative. Accurately and honestly communicate the priorities the plan and the results. Transparency builds trust and stability.

Many great people; company spoiled by some bad apples.

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority of the employees are great people and extremely talented. Offers many of the usual startup/young tech company bennies (food, games, happy hours, flexible work hours, work from home, etc).

Cons

Power plays. Turf building. Poor communication. Promises made and not kept.

As others have mentioned, the company appears to be lacking a clear direction. I was gone long before the Klout acquisition, but I can't see how it'll help them either Lithium or Klout in the long run.

The good managers that I worked with are gone. The bad ones are still there.

Little investment in building the skills of their existing employees, instead hiring hot shots, so not much chance of upward mobility. (Brown bag talks excluded - though those are primarily used to bring co-workers up to speed on arcane details of the existing system.)

Rob Tarkoff appears to be more interested in building a company he can sell off than in building a quality product.

Invest more in your people's skills, less in your fancy digs (though probably too late for that now, as the money has been spent).

Figure out what your core products are, and polish those.

Bad News - Needs A Turnaround

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Great co-workers. Really fun, smart, creative people work here. Nice perks, good food, good location. We have the opportunity to work with really great customers.

Cons

Sales is a mess. The endless barrage of bad decisions is creating very poor morale. Only a few people are making any money. New CRO is heavy-handed, all business and absolutely no fun. Who wants to work for someone like that? The company is limping along and they brought in a CRO who could right the ship. My guess is the best people will jump ship before he can turn it around. Culture is gone. Fun is gone. It's all bad news right now.

Wish I could highly recommend Lithium to my friends but right now I honestly can't. Gone is the spirit of mutual wellbeing and success for everyone. The attitude now is bleak and many people are talking about leaving. Turnover is coming. Get ready.

Lots of ups and downs, wasted resources and opportunities

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- the company has 'grown up' since the earlier days in Emeryville
    - many great, committed people on the floor and out in the field, generally friendly atmosphere in engineering and services
    - nice SF location, WFH and good work life balance for a mid sized company

Cons

- cross team collaboration is poor and politics are high considering this isn't a huge company; lots of passing the buck to those who actually do work
    - when will we see an updated roadmap? resources get pulled off of stable projects constantly to save ones that are behind schedule or were committed without a realistic sense of scope
    - company goals and product vision is not clearly communicated internally or externally at key events
    - management doesn't get to know their reports very well, lack of real feedback and support; it's sink or swim every time you get a new manager
    - more HR driven 'celebrations' than those of actual business success; glassdoor review drives

Communicate reasons behind major decisions more broadly and in ways that everyone will hear (not just at sparsley attended weekly 'huddles'); figure out how to properly vet and integrate acquisitions; stop wasting money on offices no one works in

Do not work here

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, NM
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, NM

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Catered lunch was a plus. Location is convenient, and the office is great.

Cons

No transparency, no product direction, no true leadership. No one seems to know what they're doing with pushing their product to the greater market. Sales is given little to no help from leadership or marketing. Revolving door of talent. Sleazy tactics for compensation. The model is always changing for the sales team. What was once a fun and exciting startup has evolved into a wannabe Adobe with no future.

Try keeping your talent around instead of just adding ex colleagues from Adobe and other larger organizations. There's a reason they aren't there anymore, and it wasn't because of their success. Internal growth would've gone a long way to saving this company.

Start-up feel in a proven business

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Awesome work & life balance including flexible PTO
    *Great offices
    *Solid company benefits
    *Strong team of employees
    *Startup feel & culture in a proven business leading an emerging market

Cons

*Internal communication between departments and from management down can definitely improve

*Communication is key. Some departments do it really well and some don't, and everything starts at the top.

Finance and Management are a bunch of clowns

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun culture. Fun peeps on the floor.

Cons

"We're hiring like crazy" one day and round of layoffs the next. Irresponsible oversights on management and finance's part. Can't keep many people for more than a year. Wasteful spending. Very HQ oriented.

Take a long look at your team, and finance department.

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!