Lithium Technologies

Updated December 15, 2014
3.7

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • nice SF location, WFH and good work life balance for a mid sized company (in 8 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

• Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to shine.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The Sales Org works as a team and they focus on sharing strategies, pitfalls, and are open and collaborative
    -Executives are always asking for feedback and open to what people have to say.
    -My manager is empowering and provides my team and I the tools and environment to be successful, to fail, and to learn.

-Lots of energy in the office. Great camaraderie and minimal drama (so far).
    -The company is big on living by their core values.
    -The company is genuinely driven by helping their clients be successful.
    -Great on-boarding experience.

Cons

-HQ Office is starting to get a big cramped. Limited conference room space

-Keep the hiring bar high
    -Focus on exponential growth opportunities in all facets of the business.

Dec 19, 2014CEO

Great to see the positive vibe you are feeling -- it is reflective of what I see us building here. Really excited that your management is transparent and supportive, and yes, we take customer ... More

Overall sound and strong, company is in a great category, with great customers... sr. leadership could use some tuning.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Strong momentum in a somewhat unique space - despite recent entrants from large companies such as Salesforce, the Lithium Community platform has some unique characteristics...
    - Some really talented and dedicated people in the trenches
    - Unique position to lead the industry toward emergence of the 'customer voice' as a leading influencer of purchase intention
    - great location, building, atmosphere

Cons

- overhang of recent acquisitions... you have to assume there was a strong vision from exec team (CEO and board) about how the combined entity of Klout and Lithium would come together with the sum being greater than the parts... but whatever that vision was - it is non-existent at the executive and strategy level... Now having potentially overpaid for it - CEO and team are desperate to show something... square peg - round hole...
    - Corp strategy in constant shift... ask each exec "what is Lithium?" and you'll get a different answer. Ask "lithium is the best in the world at..." and it will become a 5-10 sentence attempt at an answer...
    - engineering ratio (product - not ops or service) to overall employees is embarrassing low for a company at this stage and of this size...

1. Get exec team aligned on what the company wants to be in 3-5 years... paint that picture in a way that it can be explained to customer in 3 minutes or less...preferably less... now remove anything form the company discussion that doesn't point in that direction including recent acquisitions if that's where the chips fall...
    2. CEO - stop trying to be a certain type of CEO, it's transparent - like you're playing a role, just use your experience to be a good leader.
    3. CEO and Exec Team - don't believe you have to be or are the smartest person in the room - most of the time you're not; you can't be - your role requires you to be a generalist. There's a wealth of intelligence under you - leverage it. If you don't believe that, fix it. Your roles are to create an atmosphere where the hundreds of smart people in the org can independently apply their skills... set the strategy and get out of the way... it's not about you and your status, it's about the company succeeding.
    4. Treat people within the org as intelligent adults... ex: if you modify the company financial structure - explain it transparently, in detail, and with conviction - 95% of the company can understand it as well as you can... it's not rocket science... don't think of yourself as a privileged rocket scientist...
    5. Remove the GM role from the CMO - while it's a nice nod to her contributions, it confuses the entire organizational relationships and related strategies... it's a nice gesture to one person at the expense of clarity across the entire organization - a very strong indication of leadership style and decision making

Dec 13, 2014CEO

Thanks for your comments and appreciate the advice on how to improve Lithium. My constant goal is to leverage the intelligence that exists across Lithium. If you have more specific suggestions ... More

Great potential, disappointing leadership.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Laid back, friendly environment - but driven and focused. Great benefits, including in-house benefits like free snacks, beverages, bagels, coffee, awesome work environment, etc. Really great product that allows for easy and amazing collaboration and is fun to use.

Cons

The company is in a very competitive market with SFDC, MSFT and few others are that are giving away social networking as free offering. It can be expensive at times and companies still see as a nice to have. There is also the issue of high turnover and Management unfortunately is not clear on where o take the company.

Take a look at how the company is organized. This has been mention before, some VP/director roles are duplicates and a good few individuals are not qualified. That needs to be corrected.
    Focus on the products that have proven successful and still have potential, build a real product strategy with a real market/customer research.

Dec 17, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you are not having a strong experience. We don't compete at all with Microsoft as they don't have a product in our space. Our market is vast as well so sorry ... More

Growing company with lots of potential

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here a while, and I've seen the ups and downs, and overall, the company has moved up like crazy. In the last few years we have more than quadrupled in size, expanded to many locations, and acquired big names. This trend continues to grow, highlighting the potential to come. When it IPOs it will be worth it, that's for sure.

To me though, even more than the growth, what keeps me here everyday is the people. The engineers are some of the smartest I have worked with, and the teams are passionate about their work. "Work hard, play hard" is a motto followed seriously. Sure there is politics every now and then, and sometimes bad decisions are made, but overall the people are honest and open to feedback. More importantly, they are willing to let you be an agent of change. If you see something wrong that needs fixing, and you go ahead and do it, you will be lauded. I have done this many times, and each time I have loved the feedback, it makes me want to work harder everyday. I'm not the type to sit back and complain about problems with my workplace and not do anything about it, and this company lets me do that. In fact, they appreciate it and have shown in many ways that doing this is beneficial to both the company and to me (through perks, bonuses, raises and promotions).

Cons

The company is growing in size pretty fast, and that kind of fast change can bring about some anxiety. The management has now realized that this is a potential problem, and steps are being taken to rectify it. With the growth there is also some "professional-ness" that seems artificial, but during day-to-day activities it still feels like gamer culture.

With the growth in size and the cascading of management (vertically), it would be helpful if information were cascaded as it were being thought out (or before it happened). This would help alleviate some of the confusion around why some decisions are made. More events focused around socializing would also help bring people together, removing inter-team disconnects.

Oct 24, 2014CEO

Great feedback. Thanks for highlighting the amazing culture and talent of our engineers -- I couldn't agree more! I get reviews of projects at least once a month and the innovations that are being ... More

Had some rough patches. Turning around for the better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent manager, smart co-workers, low primadonna factor. Friendly, helpful, caring people. Responsive upper management. Promising product vision. Fun product to build. Innovative atmosphere. Good work/life balanec. Fun company culture. Easy commute location.

Cons

Rough, unfocused atmosphere after the Klout acquisition, but this has been improving over the last month and a half. I've worked here for almost two years. There were about four months where I would not have recommended the company to a friend, but things are getting back on track.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Thanks for your input and feedback. Post-acquisition periods are always difficult, and I appreciate your acknowledgment that we used it as a way to get refocused on the opportunities ahead for the ... More

Good place to grow your career if you know your stuff

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

1) You get to work with some of the new technology stacks
    2) Great work place location
    3) You get to interact with some of the smart people who are very good at their work and who are ready to help you
    4) Pretty good balance between work and fun

Cons

1) Company is bigger than few years back and I like the fact they want to act like an startup but too many changes among teams can be avoided
    2) Compensation could be improved and meet similar sized company payscale

Company has great potential and hope they execute the plans to make it big on the market.

Nice place to be in - Something for everyon

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Energized and fast paced environment. Free lunches. Good compensation. Politics free environment in engineering and very transparent and open management style. Opportunities to move horizontally to tone your skills in varied engineering development areas. Easy to propose and use new tools and technologies to solve engineering problems.
    Great Onboarding program for new hires.
    Leadership cares about employees.

Cons

Huge legacy code and will take time to move away from it. Takes lot of time to maintain it leaving little time to work on new product development and technologies.

Keep the momentum going.

Nov 19, 2014CEO

Thanks for the great feedback here. We are proud of our products but as an established brand with hundreds of large customers we have to continue to modernize our code at the same time we extend our ... More

Be yourself, sharpen your skill,build a kick-ass product,Friendly and inspiring management,smart coworkers!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies (more than an year)

Pros

I am working here for more than 1 and half year.Lithium culture is getting better and better,the direction is changing to be more clear and crisp,Community platform and LSW product with Klout perks is going to give brands great tools to connect with their consumers and consumers to engage into sharing the content they are passionate about.The engineering team is well focussed, if they know what to be delivered at the end of the day.There are really smart engineers who are committed to lithium's success.Still some great members among founders who constantly inspire new comers.Very open culture between management and technical teams.Small scrum teams are mostly in self-operative mode, which is only possible because you are trusted here,and brings in lot of freedom to your daily role and at the same time put great responsibilities on your shoulder,which is very valuable learning for many young engineers.
    It is a great environment that gives you the tools to grow and expects you to deliver success with them.No BS in management layer,no nepotism...real down to earth great leaders committed to connect business with product.

Cons

* long commute to the city,some teams are flexible with wfh and some are not.
    * no 401k match
    * need to focus on fostering team players.

Let the senior most members help more in architecting products with long term vision.It is my perspective that I don't see architect brains here which is needed when some teams have relatively less experienced yet very smart young engineers,but they need to be guided in high level specially in cross system integration areas.

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Great insight and really appreciate the review. I agree that the open culture in our engineering org drives innovation, and I also appreciate the point on long-term architecture as well -- something ... More

Great potential but unfortunately...This is not a "Great" place to work

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great people at this company unfortunately, they'll never reach their full potential by working at Lithium.
    Location is awesome and the creature comforts are also very good

Cons

Management unfortunately is not clear on where the company needs to go and the turnover is awful.
    Anybody considering a sales position here should ask to speak to 5 sales people that met or exceeded their annual quota for a couple of years that are not in the Bay area.

Stop talking about the IPO..this could be a great place without hanging this carrot. Be more "real" and take a close look at the C-suite..some of these people are not delivering to us in the trenches that love Lithium

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Thanks for your review and sorry to hear that you are unclear on where we need to go. I am proud of the many sales reps who have succeeded here at Lithium -- we have enormously talented people and ... More

Best place in the world if you're committed to community and social

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciate some of the perks, but to me the best workplace is where I get the chance to do the work I want and to learn the most, and about the people I'm working with -- both colleagues and customers. This place is the top of the list on both counts. I have never in four years had anyone question a decision when it's right for the customer -- not management, not peers. I work with some of the smartest and the most humble people I've worked with in my career. But the best thing for me is the incredible list of brands that choose to work with us. Every week there are great new companies to learn about and work with -- and we have great working relationships because our customers understand that making them successful is what makes us successful.

Cons

Think of all the challenges of fast-growing companies and you will find them here: hiring decisions aren't always great, communication can seriously suck, problems aren't always dealt with as quickly as they need to be. There's still too big a divide between management and staff -- decisions don't always take advantage of our best thinking, because the right people aren't involved. We sometimes suffer from the very same challenges we're helping our customers solve every day -- which is a shame. Lots of missed opportunities to be great, when political challenges make us settle for being average or merely good.

Break down the barriers between management and staff. Stop doing what you think an executive should do, and follow your instincts and your principles. You have the chance to create something really great, and a lot of brands are trusting you to help them. You can't get there unless you open up more decision-making to customers and employees.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Really thoughtful review -- I appreciate that you took the time to share it. Our #1 Value as a Company is to "take customer success personally" - good to see that you feel it is being practiced ... More

Lithium Technologies Photos