Lithium Technologies

Lithium Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff

Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past(in 10 reviews)

• One possible pro is that they are based in downtown San Francisco(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that(in 6 reviews)

• Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time(in 6 reviews)

High energy, very smart people, lots of opportunity to advance.”

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun culture, super smart people, great benefits , fast paced, cutting edge technology projects. You are in charge of your destiny so it's pretty much up to you to step up or sit down. If you sit down too long, you won't last. There is opportunity everywhere as long as you have the attitude to do something with it. Most everyone is incredibly helpful.

ConsCompany is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in front line managers, they seem to be pretty green and not as focused on helping their reports grow.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Klout joined
    -culture of fun and hardworking peeps
    -rapid growth and change

ConsSeems to be an easy come easy go mentality

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear what's making Lithium a positive experience for you.

Good company & Great culture but comes with groupie politics too

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPromising company with stable growth and advanced technology to play with every day.
    Work-Life Balance.
    Nice people and good culture

ConsThere was an earlier review of walking into groupie politics in the company but did not believe it until I see it for real.

There are 2 different categories of employees in the company. One group in engineering belongs to an alumni from a corporate and the rest belongs to the left over group! If you are not coming from the groupie club then you are on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroupies in the company discourage innovation and cause unwanted favoritism.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you are not in sales.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are many bright individuals at Lithium and the product is truly amazing and inspiring. There are great perks (free lunch, gym, flexible work from home policy, health benefits, stock options). Mentality of a startup. Great place to work if you are in product, engineering, or HR.

ConsDo not work here if you are in Sales. Sales comp plans are made only to help the company, not you. It is so hard to make money. Marketing does not contribute a ton to help improve leads. It is one of those environments where if something goes wrong, Sales people are blamed for everything. Politics here are bad, but I have seen worse. Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduct- Keep doing what you're doing! Product is amazing and can see positive results in the future. Management- Focus a lot of time on who is promoted and why they should be promoted. People that have been promoted do not have experience as many others and it sends a really bad vibe internally. Spend some serious time figuring out the Sales team/process and ramp. If you do not fix it, turnover will continue.

Emerging mainstay industry, great people, all the right ingredients.

Lead Operations Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEmerging mainstay market
    Great customers
    Focused leadership
    Spending money in the right places
    Leading the competition
    Talented staff
    Awesome culture
    Beer keg in the office
    Embracing change
    Undergoing change and growth with stride
    Excellent HR department
    Recently increased cross-department and cross-team communication by way of weekly huddles

ConsTypical growing pains of an up and coming business leading the right market at the right time
    Loss of very talented staff at times
    High rate of innovation and production deployment not yet achieved, but working on it. Perhaps impacting our ability to ramp up sales and upgrades by way of resellers and partners?
    Departments and teams are still too siloed. Need to keep breaking down the silos

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is advice to myself and everyone, not just management. We need to keep on doing what we're doing because whatever we're doing is putting points on the board; it's working. We need to maintain this formula for now. We need to stay focused on the right things and keep executing.
    In other news, our company is growing fast. This means more scrutiny from stakeholders. As a result we are developing and enforcing more frameworks, processes, and procedures. At times this is a lesson in frustration management on my part. I like to move fast and free. Sometimes we need to give up things we want to meet the needs of the business and others. Ya'll know who I am.

Jun 23, 2014

This is some good stuff! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We realize that our company is growing pretty darn quick and things are changing as a result. It's an exciting time to be at the center of ... More

A great company for anyone willing to be friendly and work hard

ProsLithium is a wonderful place to work for a number of reasons. They obviously care about their employees and provide a multitude of high quality meals, snacks, and drinks. Everyone seems to be exceptionally friendly to the point that it is clearly a criteria for hiring. Additionally, the company has a bright future.

ConsThe only real con I could think of as far as working at Lithium would be the lack of significant offices in other states or countries. And honestly, this is only an issue for someone like myself who would love to travel.

Jun 23, 2014

You're right, we do care about our employees! So we're glad to hear you're having a great experience with us so far. Interesting that you call out our lack of offices, as we have a presence in over ... More

Decent Workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture, Culture, Culture, Culture, Culture.

ConsAlways felt job was on the line.

Jun 4, 2014

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, Thanks. We appreciate your comments and are happy to hear you had a positive experience with our culture. Best of luck to you!

Dishonest Leadership, Always take Low Road, Poor Culture

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat Market to be a part, and solid set of customers, yet they never tend to stick around for very long, Renewal Rate is less than 80% which is very poor for the industry

Cons-- Most customer's leave after a 3-5 year run because they realize there is not much special about the technology.
    -- Multiple past employee's have contacted me directly to share stories about compensation disputes, miss treatment of employee's and very high turnover. (Just dig into how long all the employee's have worked at the company)

Advice to Senior Management-- Good luck selling or taking the company public before these issues surface and become aware to the public.

Love my job, my colleagues, the office, the location! Best job ever!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople take their work seriously. Everyone is in it to win it. You definitely put the time in but you are constantly recognized for your efforts. There is no where to go but up. Benefits are also great. They bring in breakfast twice a week and lunch 3 times.

ConsCan't think of anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Jun 12, 2014

Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear you're having a positive experience and will continue in our efforts to make sure all our team is just as thrilled as you are.

Average compensation. Unqualified leadership. Limited market opportunities.

Pros- Salaries are slightly above average in the Bay Area. But the stocks are just an illusion since the company will never go IPO ...
    - Good location in SF, nice office
    - Some departments are more fun than others (Software Engineering for instance)
    - Right now, online communities and social experience are hot topics. For how long? I wonder.
    - Good place to work if you start your career, in particular as a software engineer. Great way to gain a couple years of experience before moving on to a more long term opportunity.

Cons- Health benefits are sub-par especially when you have kids.
    - Lack of real culture. HR is trying hard to copycat what all other start-ups have been doing for years (free lunches and snacks, ping pong/board game tournaments, scooters in the office, puzzles, drinkfests ...) and calls it culture. These are just small "standard" perks, culture does not get created artificially like that...
    - Leadership is seriously lacking experience and vision. A lot of employees also wonder how directors and VPs spend their time... Some recent promotions are very questionable. Too many VPs and directors for a company this size with no organizational logic.
    - The "new" product strategy, especially after the Klout acquisition, does not really look like it was thought through. If a company's own chief product officer can't sell it to his own employees, how do you expect to sell it to clients?
    - This has to be the #1 place for buzzword abuse.
    - No real career opportunities. Leadership keeps adding intermediate layers like: software engineer, senior software engineer, lead software engineer, principal software engineer, distinguished software engineer with no organizational logic!

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit carefully how the company is organized. Some VP/director roles are duplicates and a good few individuals are not qualified. You certainly know who I'm talking about ...
    Focus on the products that have proven successful and still have potential, build a real product strategy with a real market/customer research, and quit using buzzwords all the time!

Jun 23, 2014

Thanks for your comments. We like to believe we all have fun (not just engineering)! But we understand everyone enjoys the workplace in their own way. Ultimately, Lithium aims to cultivate a culture ... More

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!