Lithium Technologies

Updated August 14, 2014

3.6

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 10 reviews)

• One possible pro is that they are based in downtown San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that (in 6 reviews)

• Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Klout joined
    -culture of fun and hardworking peeps
    -rapid growth and change

Cons

Seems to be an easy come easy go mentality

Jul 22, 2014Community Team

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear what's making Lithium a positive experience for you.

Finance and Management are a bunch of clowns

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Fun culture. Fun peeps on the floor.

Cons

"We're hiring like crazy" one day and round of layoffs the next. Irresponsible oversights on management and finance's part. Can't keep many people for more than a year. Wasteful spending. Very HQ oriented.

Take a long look at your team, and finance department.

Do not work here, terrible culture and awful leadership

Pros

There aren't any pros associated with this job. The office is located in a nice location, many great lunch spots near the area.

Cons

The culture and company morale here is terrible. Lithium treats their employees with little respect. They just laid off 30 workers with no advance notice whatsoever, that's already a giant red flag. Leadership claimed it was restructuring to cut down costs, which probably means the company isn't doing well financially.

The company vision doesn't seem like it's been fully thought out. If leadership can't explain it well to their employees, what makes them think that the company can sell it to their clients?

Everything is also pushed out at a snail's pace. If you want to sit around and twiddle your thumbs, this is the place for you. Don't come here if you're looking for an interesting and engaging work.

Be more transparent to your employees. Don't start a mass lay off with no advance notice or good reason. If the company really needs to restructure its budget, why do we have so many VP's?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

None. The brought in a new CRO who's major contribution is to lay people off, just after the company announced a very strong Q2 earnings report. No real rationale for the cutbacks.

Cons

Many. Trust is non-existent. I may be a current employee but I am looking for a job elsewhere. The Klout acquistion is very puzzling. they still don;t know what to do with it.

Be more honest. Live up to the values you so endlessly repeat to everyone.

If you want mediocrity this is the place for you!

Pros

It's hard to really think of anything really positive. May be the downtown Sanfrancisco location. It was a good place to work years ago.

Cons

The Community product is OK however if you step back and really look at what it is it's nothing more than a glorified forum / bulletin board. Which means you've got free tools your competing against. They talk about the benefits of community to marketing but in reality there are no tools in the platform or real benefits to extract marketing info. So when it comes to selling this product, it is a difficult process. Most AM's never achieve quota. Not even close.

Then there is the Social Listening product. It too is mediocre when compared to others such as Sprinklr, Conversocial, etc. The price point is so low there really isn't much money to be made when you do find a opportunity. And it really isn't a best in class product.

Last, Klout. Why would this company acquire Klout? First off, Klout is irrelevant when it comes to social. Ask any marketer if they consider a Klout score to be relevant when at come to social persuasion. This was a hail Mary by the CEO to get Lithium back to IPO status. It failed!

Lets talk about the Management team at all levels. These folks that lead the company in high positions would struggle to make it at larger organization. The incompetence of these leader is off the scale. I personally worked with the CEO, RVP's, AM's in which i had no confidence in that they could close deals. Because of of poor business performance it has become an environment of back stabbing, blame game, toss under the bus, try to take credit for things you didn't do, etc. It is not a healthy environment. I can't see this company surviving. In my opinion they will fail within the next 6 - 12 months. They may be acquired but for pennies on the dollar. Can you say fire sale?

I wasted 2 years at this company and those are 2 years I'll never get back. Totally incompetent leaders running this company.

Revolving door. This place has lost more people in the last 6 months then they hired in the past 2 years. They are on a hiring freeze. That in its self should alert you that there are serious financial issues. Most social start-ups are looking for good people. Oh and keep in mind These guys have been around for a while and these have been ongoing issues for the past 13 years.

It's time to cut loose the dead wood. For a company of this size (and I mean revenue) you have way too many senior managers i.e. VP of Solutions Consulting. Do you really need a VP in that position? A RVP East sales? Really? How about 1 RVP for all of North American sales? Time to trim the fat guys. You can reduce the sales staff and still maintain the level of sales. Time to refocus, trim the budget, let engineering revamp the product and then begin to build momentum.

Aug 5, 2014Community Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. You make interesting points on key areas vital to our business: products, strategy, and our people. It's clear we need more transparency with the ... More

Good company & Great culture but comes with groupie politics too

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Promising company with stable growth and advanced technology to play with every day.
    Work-Life Balance.
    Nice people and good culture

Cons

There was an earlier review of walking into groupie politics in the company but did not believe it until I see it for real.

There are 2 different categories of employees in the company. One group in engineering belongs to an alumni from a corporate and the rest belongs to the left over group! If you are not coming from the groupie club then you are on your own.

Groupies in the company discourage innovation and cause unwanted favoritism.

Jul 28, 2014Community Team

Our robust employee referral program encourages bringing friends and talented colleagues to join Lithium, so you may find many team members who have worked together in the past. However, we realize ... More

Great place to work if you are not in sales.

Pros

There are many bright individuals at Lithium and the product is truly amazing and inspiring. There are great perks (free lunch, gym, flexible work from home policy, health benefits, stock options). Mentality of a startup. Great place to work if you are in product, engineering, or HR.

Cons

Do not work here if you are in Sales. Sales comp plans are made only to help the company, not you. It is so hard to make money. Marketing does not contribute a ton to help improve leads. It is one of those environments where if something goes wrong, Sales people are blamed for everything. Politics here are bad, but I have seen worse. Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time.

Product- Keep doing what you're doing! Product is amazing and can see positive results in the future. Management- Focus a lot of time on who is promoted and why they should be promoted. People that have been promoted do not have experience as many others and it sends a really bad vibe internally. Spend some serious time figuring out the Sales team/process and ramp. If you do not fix it, turnover will continue.

Emerging mainstay industry, great people, all the right ingredients.

Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Emerging mainstay market
    Great customers
    Focused leadership
    Spending money in the right places
    Leading the competition
    Talented staff
    Awesome culture
    Beer keg in the office
    Embracing change
    Undergoing change and growth with stride
    Excellent HR department
    Recently increased cross-department and cross-team communication by way of weekly huddles

Cons

Typical growing pains of an up and coming business leading the right market at the right time
    Loss of very talented staff at times
    High rate of innovation and production deployment not yet achieved, but working on it. Perhaps impacting our ability to ramp up sales and upgrades by way of resellers and partners?
    Departments and teams are still too siloed. Need to keep breaking down the silos

This is advice to myself and everyone, not just management. We need to keep on doing what we're doing because whatever we're doing is putting points on the board; it's working. We need to maintain this formula for now. We need to stay focused on the right things and keep executing.
    In other news, our company is growing fast. This means more scrutiny from stakeholders. As a result we are developing and enforcing more frameworks, processes, and procedures. At times this is a lesson in frustration management on my part. I like to move fast and free. Sometimes we need to give up things we want to meet the needs of the business and others. Ya'll know who I am.

Jun 23, 2014Community Team

This is some good stuff! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We realize that our company is growing pretty darn quick and things are changing as a result. It's an exciting time to be at the center of ... More

Dishonest Leadership, Always take Low Road, Poor Culture

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Great Market to be a part, and solid set of customers, yet they never tend to stick around for very long, Renewal Rate is less than 80% which is very poor for the industry

Cons

-- Most customer's leave after a 3-5 year run because they realize there is not much special about the technology.
    -- Multiple past employee's have contacted me directly to share stories about compensation disputes, miss treatment of employee's and very high turnover. (Just dig into how long all the employee's have worked at the company)

-- Good luck selling or taking the company public before these issues surface and become aware to the public.

A great company for anyone willing to be friendly and work hard

Pros

Lithium is a wonderful place to work for a number of reasons. They obviously care about their employees and provide a multitude of high quality meals, snacks, and drinks. Everyone seems to be exceptionally friendly to the point that it is clearly a criteria for hiring. Additionally, the company has a bright future.

Cons

The only real con I could think of as far as working at Lithium would be the lack of significant offices in other states or countries. And honestly, this is only an issue for someone like myself who would love to travel.

Jun 23, 2014Community Team

You're right, we do care about our employees! So we're glad to hear you're having a great experience with us so far. Interesting that you call out our lack of offices, as we have a presence in over ... More

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!