Lithium Technologies

Updated January 26, 2015
3.7

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • nice SF location, WFH and good work life balance for a mid sized company (in 8 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

• Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

fast paced, high-energy, great flexibility and quality of life, awesome coworkers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

core company values ring true for all employees, great energy and camaraderie, collaborative team-oriented environment, exciting and diverse customer base, projects are new and interesting, great flexibility and work-life balance

Cons

in general management does not care about employee's career development. transitioning to new roles happens, but not as much as it should.

you're missing opportunities to retain talented individuals. care more about your employee's career aspirations, don't pigeon-hole them.

Jan 27, 2015CEO

Thanks for the great input, particularly on internal movement. We are always trying to make this happen more frequently, but I will keep an eye on it.

Rob

Smart, passionate and fun people building/selling great products - excited to be here!

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great on-boarding process but lengthy checklists
    Relentless focus on recruiting the right people and investing in them
    An opportunity to make a real impact
    Fun and empowering work environment
    Smart people that share a shared vision and putting our customers at the centre of what we do

Cons

Recent organisational changes has made it difficult to ramp up as fast as I would have liked but the change is clearly for the best and slowly getting there!

Non at present - the ship is sailing in the right direction!

Lithium Engineering, it's the place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The engineering team in Austin is top-notch: talented engineers dedicated to improving their craft and delivering awesome products to our customers. There's no dearth of problems being solved here: high volume data ingestion, highly available infrastructure, reactive user interfaces, etc. This is a great place to grow an engineering career.

Cons

Overall company direction has had a lot of churn. I'm looking for 2015 to be the year that we settle on a market strategy and execute.

Continue fostering collaboration between our Austin and SF offices.

A great place to shine.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The Sales Org works as a team and they focus on sharing strategies, pitfalls, and are open and collaborative
    -Executives are always asking for feedback and open to what people have to say.
    -My manager is empowering and provides my team and I the tools and environment to be successful, to fail, and to learn.

-Lots of energy in the office. Great camaraderie and minimal drama (so far).
    -The company is big on living by their core values.
    -The company is genuinely driven by helping their clients be successful.
    -Great on-boarding experience.

Cons

-HQ Office is starting to get a big cramped. Limited conference room space

-Keep the hiring bar high
    -Focus on exponential growth opportunities in all facets of the business.

Dec 19, 2014CEO

Great to see the positive vibe you are feeling -- it is reflective of what I see us building here. Really excited that your management is transparent and supportive, and yes, we take customer ... More

Overall sound and strong, company is in a great category, with great customers... sr. leadership could use some tuning.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Strong momentum in a somewhat unique space - despite recent entrants from large companies such as Salesforce, the Lithium Community platform has some unique characteristics...
    - Some really talented and dedicated people in the trenches
    - Unique position to lead the industry toward emergence of the 'customer voice' as a leading influencer of purchase intention
    - great location, building, atmosphere

Cons

- overhang of recent acquisitions... you have to assume there was a strong vision from exec team (CEO and board) about how the combined entity of Klout and Lithium would come together with the sum being greater than the parts... but whatever that vision was - it is non-existent at the executive and strategy level... Now having potentially overpaid for it - CEO and team are desperate to show something... square peg - round hole...
    - Corp strategy in constant shift... ask each exec "what is Lithium?" and you'll get a different answer. Ask "lithium is the best in the world at..." and it will become a 5-10 sentence attempt at an answer...
    - engineering ratio (product - not ops or service) to overall employees is embarrassing low for a company at this stage and of this size...

1. Get exec team aligned on what the company wants to be in 3-5 years... paint that picture in a way that it can be explained to customer in 3 minutes or less...preferably less... now remove anything form the company discussion that doesn't point in that direction including recent acquisitions if that's where the chips fall...
    2. CEO - stop trying to be a certain type of CEO, it's transparent - like you're playing a role, just use your experience to be a good leader.
    3. CEO and Exec Team - don't believe you have to be or are the smartest person in the room - most of the time you're not; you can't be - your role requires you to be a generalist. There's a wealth of intelligence under you - leverage it. If you don't believe that, fix it. Your roles are to create an atmosphere where the hundreds of smart people in the org can independently apply their skills... set the strategy and get out of the way... it's not about you and your status, it's about the company succeeding.
    4. Treat people within the org as intelligent adults... ex: if you modify the company financial structure - explain it transparently, in detail, and with conviction - 95% of the company can understand it as well as you can... it's not rocket science... don't think of yourself as a privileged rocket scientist...
    5. Remove the GM role from the CMO - while it's a nice nod to her contributions, it confuses the entire organizational relationships and related strategies... it's a nice gesture to one person at the expense of clarity across the entire organization - a very strong indication of leadership style and decision making

Dec 13, 2014CEO

Thanks for your comments and appreciate the advice on how to improve Lithium. My constant goal is to leverage the intelligence that exists across Lithium. If you have more specific suggestions ... More

You can find better

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Great downtown location. Good work life balance and the ability to work from home is a plus.

Cons

Just horrible leadership at this place from Tarkoff all the way down. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians as well i.e. CRO, CMO, GM, VP,SVP, Director, and the list goes on. For a company of this size its a bit much. Good products but difficult to sell. Klout? Someone explain why and whoever made that decision should be fired! Politics are over the top. I've never seen a revolving door like this place which might be a good thing because there have been some bad hires. That said it may also have to do with the products. The CEO seems to want to run this company like a multi billion dollar company which it is clearly not. IPO, please stop talking about it. Focus on achieving your quarterly numbers first.

Hmmm ... none. The CEO has it all figured out. He does everything there, interviews, responses to Glass door, fingers in everything. Why focus on what's important?

Jan 27, 2015CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Really unfortunate that you feel so strongly about our poor leadership -- I think we have an amazing group of people at all levels of this Company and it is why we ... More

Easy Come Easy Go

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Definite effort to make the company feel nice and be a fun place to work

Lithium will out pay competition if you get the hiring manager on your side

There are some cool and smart peeps who are a pleasure to work with, interns seem stoked and want a conversion.

Great location for both accessibility and high tech perks. Free snacks and flat screens everywhere!

Cons

Scattered vision causes emerging level professionals to work like dogs to keep up with shifting demands. The lack of clarity stresses people out and drive them away or frazzled. This has been the talk from multiple departments.

High turnover - I didn't feel sincerity in the relationship. For me, it started from the headhunt "We're a start up, and have been around for 11 years...so we have a start up feel with hot equity package, but with like the perks of being an established company... Isn't that cool?" I'm fine working for a private company.

Aggressive hiring and then freeze and layoffs in the same quarter this year.

Be clear with people. If there are questions or challenges, share it with trusted staff. This should trickle down to majority of your people. Look into hiring pre-qualified, even seasoned people.

Jan 5, 2015CEO

Thank you for your comments. We have taken steps to clarify and simplify our priorities as a Company, and in a fast-moving market this is an ongoing challenge. I appreciate your input and will work ... More

Great potential, disappointing leadership.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Laid back, friendly environment - but driven and focused. Great benefits, including in-house benefits like free snacks, beverages, bagels, coffee, awesome work environment, etc. Really great product that allows for easy and amazing collaboration and is fun to use.

Cons

The company is in a very competitive market with SFDC, MSFT and few others are that are giving away social networking as free offering. It can be expensive at times and companies still see as a nice to have. There is also the issue of high turnover and Management unfortunately is not clear on where o take the company.

Take a look at how the company is organized. This has been mention before, some VP/director roles are duplicates and a good few individuals are not qualified. That needs to be corrected.
    Focus on the products that have proven successful and still have potential, build a real product strategy with a real market/customer research.

Dec 17, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you are not having a strong experience. We don't compete at all with Microsoft as they don't have a product in our space. Our market is vast as well so sorry ... More

Awful Place, terrible leader, unclear vision, Klout what?

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool San Fran office, nice perks, pockets of really good people (who are all looking for new jobs). The LiNC conference is excellent

Cons

CEO is not to be trusted- I love how he responds to the negative posts on Glassdoor with "sorry you feel this way, you should come talk to me about your review" Oh sure - you are such an approachable guy, I'll get right on your calendar. The CRO is not inspiring and hiring his big company friends which is radically changing the culture. Worst turn over I've ever seen -particularly in sales. No clear vision - stop focusing on IPO and start focusing on hitting your quarterly number for a change. It's a highly political environment (coming from the top). And the Klout acquisition has been a total bust! All that has come out of it is dilution of our share price, a complete obliteration of the Klout employee base and lots of head-scratching both internal to LIthium and within the market.

How long is the Board going to put up with Tarkoff's weak leadership and constantly missing the unrealistic numbers he signs up for? Who is responsible for the Klout acquisition and what it's done to the value of the company? Who is responsible for hiring the CRO and the massive turnover that has resulted from that poor hire? It takes a long time for people to become productive, so sales will continue to miss quarter after quarter - someone needs to take responsibility for driving what was once a great company into the ground.

Jan 1, 2015CEO

Wow, sounds like you have had a tough run here. Anyone who wants to get on my calendar can. I am always eager to hear feedback. Not much I can do if you don't try.

Our CRO is a phenomenal
    ... More

Nice place to be in - Something for everyon

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Energized and fast paced environment. Free lunches. Good compensation. Politics free environment in engineering and very transparent and open management style. Opportunities to move horizontally to tone your skills in varied engineering development areas. Easy to propose and use new tools and technologies to solve engineering problems.
    Great Onboarding program for new hires.
    Leadership cares about employees.

Cons

Huge legacy code and will take time to move away from it. Takes lot of time to maintain it leaving little time to work on new product development and technologies.

Keep the momentum going.

Nov 19, 2014CEO

Thanks for the great feedback here. We are proud of our products but as an established brand with hundreds of large customers we have to continue to modernize our code at the same time we extend our ... More

Lithium Technologies Photos