Lithium Technologies

Updated August 28, 2014

3.6

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 10 reviews)

• One possible pro is that they are based in downtown San Francisco (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that (in 6 reviews)

• Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Start-up feel in a proven business

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Awesome work & life balance including flexible PTO
    *Great offices
    *Solid company benefits
    *Strong team of employees
    *Startup feel & culture in a proven business leading an emerging market

Cons

*Internal communication between departments and from management down can definitely improve

*Communication is key. Some departments do it really well and some don't, and everything starts at the top.

Finance and Management are a bunch of clowns

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun culture. Fun peeps on the floor.

Cons

"We're hiring like crazy" one day and round of layoffs the next. Irresponsible oversights on management and finance's part. Can't keep many people for more than a year. Wasteful spending. Very HQ oriented.

Take a long look at your team, and finance department.

Do not work here

Former Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, NM
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, NM

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Catered lunch was a plus. Location is convenient, and the office is great.

Cons

No transparency, no product direction, no true leadership. No one seems to know what they're doing with pushing their product to the greater market. Sales is given little to no help from leadership or marketing. Revolving door of talent. Sleazy tactics for compensation. The model is always changing for the sales team. What was once a fun and exciting startup has evolved into a wannabe Adobe with no future.

Try keeping your talent around instead of just adding ex colleagues from Adobe and other larger organizations. There's a reason they aren't there anymore, and it wasn't because of their success. Internal growth would've gone a long way to saving this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad News - Needs A Turnaround

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Great co-workers. Really fun, smart, creative people work here. Nice perks, good food, good location. We have the opportunity to work with really great customers.

Cons

Sales is a mess. The endless barrage of bad decisions is creating very poor morale. Only a few people are making any money. New CRO is heavy-handed, all business and absolutely no fun. Who wants to work for someone like that? The company is limping along and they brought in a CRO who could right the ship. My guess is the best people will jump ship before he can turn it around. Culture is gone. Fun is gone. It's all bad news right now.

Wish I could highly recommend Lithium to my friends but right now I honestly can't. Gone is the spirit of mutual wellbeing and success for everyone. The attitude now is bleak and many people are talking about leaving. Turnover is coming. Get ready.

Great people

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

CEO has integrity and cares about his people. he's brought this company a long way in the past 2 years.
    Awesome HR VP who has evolved the culture and provided competitive benefits and compensation which was lacking previously.
    Strong strategic consulting and professional services group.

Cons

morale is low in certain areas
    tough legacy engineering problems

Avoid at all costs!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Market leader in communities
    Parts of the product are really great
    Nice offices and catered lunch

Cons

They still talk about IPOing all the time, but just had major layoffs (maybe the two are related). It has been absolutely miserable working here and I plan to quit before they lay the rest of us off.

On top of that, the majority of the product is really pretty terrible. Maybe it was great 4 or 5 years ago...the current project to tie everything together is going to take so much time that other vendors are going to end up on top. I would be amazed if this company is anything but a foot note in 5 years. Zero culture. High turnover. No direction.

Ravi is a step in the right direction; the rest of the commercial leadership is an absolute joke and it's been miserable to see so many great ideas be thrown by the wayside just so we can integrate Klout.

Do not work here, terrible culture and awful leadership

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros associated with this job. The office is located in a nice location, many great lunch spots near the area.

Cons

The culture and company morale here is terrible. Lithium treats their employees with little respect. They just laid off 30 workers with no advance notice whatsoever, that's already a giant red flag. Leadership claimed it was restructuring to cut down costs, which probably means the company isn't doing well financially.

The company vision doesn't seem like it's been fully thought out. If leadership can't explain it well to their employees, what makes them think that the company can sell it to their clients?

Everything is also pushed out at a snail's pace. If you want to sit around and twiddle your thumbs, this is the place for you. Don't come here if you're looking for an interesting and engaging work.

Be more transparent to your employees. Don't start a mass lay off with no advance notice or good reason. If the company really needs to restructure its budget, why do we have so many VP's?

Don't work here!!

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

None. The brought in a new CRO who's major contribution is to lay people off, just after the company announced a very strong Q2 earnings report. No real rationale for the cutbacks.

Cons

Many. Trust is non-existent. I may be a current employee but I am looking for a job elsewhere. The Klout acquistion is very puzzling. they still don;t know what to do with it.

Be more honest. Live up to the values you so endlessly repeat to everyone.

If you want mediocrity this is the place for you!

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's hard to really think of anything really positive. May be the downtown Sanfrancisco location. It was a good place to work years ago.

Cons

The Community product is OK however if you step back and really look at what it is it's nothing more than a glorified forum / bulletin board. Which means you've got free tools your competing against. They talk about the benefits of community to marketing but in reality there are no tools in the platform or real benefits to extract marketing info. So when it comes to selling this product, it is a difficult process. Most AM's never achieve quota. Not even close.

Then there is the Social Listening product. It too is mediocre when compared to others such as Sprinklr, Conversocial, etc. The price point is so low there really isn't much money to be made when you do find a opportunity. And it really isn't a best in class product.

Last, Klout. Why would this company acquire Klout? First off, Klout is irrelevant when it comes to social. Ask any marketer if they consider a Klout score to be relevant when at come to social persuasion. This was a hail Mary by the CEO to get Lithium back to IPO status. It failed!

Lets talk about the Management team at all levels. These folks that lead the company in high positions would struggle to make it at larger organization. The incompetence of these leader is off the scale. I personally worked with the CEO, RVP's, AM's in which i had no confidence in that they could close deals. Because of of poor business performance it has become an environment of back stabbing, blame game, toss under the bus, try to take credit for things you didn't do, etc. It is not a healthy environment. I can't see this company surviving. In my opinion they will fail within the next 6 - 12 months. They may be acquired but for pennies on the dollar. Can you say fire sale?

I wasted 2 years at this company and those are 2 years I'll never get back. Totally incompetent leaders running this company.

Revolving door. This place has lost more people in the last 6 months then they hired in the past 2 years. They are on a hiring freeze. That in its self should alert you that there are serious financial issues. Most social start-ups are looking for good people. Oh and keep in mind These guys have been around for a while and these have been ongoing issues for the past 13 years.

It's time to cut loose the dead wood. For a company of this size (and I mean revenue) you have way too many senior managers i.e. VP of Solutions Consulting. Do you really need a VP in that position? A RVP East sales? Really? How about 1 RVP for all of North American sales? Time to trim the fat guys. You can reduce the sales staff and still maintain the level of sales. Time to refocus, trim the budget, let engineering revamp the product and then begin to build momentum.

Lithium Technologies Response

Aug 5, 2014Community Team

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. You make interesting points on key areas vital to our business: products, strategy, and our people. It's clear we need more transparency with the ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-Klout joined
    -culture of fun and hardworking peeps
    -rapid growth and change

Cons

Seems to be an easy come easy go mentality

Lithium Technologies Response

Jul 22, 2014Community Team

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear what's making Lithium a positive experience for you.

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!