Lithium Technologies Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
122 reviews filtered by
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7
Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • nice SF location, WFH and good work life balance for a mid sized company (in 8 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

• Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains (in 5 reviews)

1. Intern in Austin

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay very well for non-junior year internships (e.g. still have more than one year of school left)

Cons

There was a round of layoffs in the second-to-last week of my internship (yikes). It was a pretty dramatic week. Other than that I had a 100% positive experience.

From an intern's perspective, I felt like the SF interns had much more comradery than the Austin interns. I know it is hard to improve that given the small amount of Austin interns and the lack of a true HR presence in Austin.

Why I give to Lithium

Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sometimes people ask why I do what I do at Lithium. Why I work how I work. What is my motive. If I could boil it down to a few words it would be: "Lithium has staggering potential - staggering. I fully believe we can be multi-billion ARR company, no doubt in my mind at all. I really want to do everything in my power to help us get there." That's it. Not super complicated.
    I didn't come to Lithium to advance my career, and so I treat Lithium as it is my own.
    I receive nothing extra for what I do.
    I take no credit.
    I love giving. Too many people are on the take. Too few on the give. I've always joined the underdogs.
    As long as I am at Lithium I will keep giving as long as I have something to give. So far, Lithium has done a great job looking out for me. If you are interested in Lithium all you need to do is bring something real to the table. Bring you. Don't bring any BS. You bring you and things will go very well for everyone.
    Here are some pros:
    1. Open communication. No barriers. You can calendar time with anyone you want to regardless of their position and talk honestly about how you feel and what you feel is best for the company.
    2. Open opportunity. I've never heard anyone here say "That's not your job, don't worry about it." If the Linebacker has a play idea the quarterback will listen.
    3. Humble leadership. They do not come across as "know-it-alls."
    4. Adaptability. We have gone through massive changes the last few years. The business has adapted very well.
    5. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Some may see this as a con, so mentioning it here. Very ambitious and challenging projects for the next two years. If you are not up for challenge then you may find yourself outside of your comfort zone. It's not a boiler room here. But it is definitely not a place where you can come in and just coast along easy street.

This is advice to myself and others, not just mgmt. Reaching the full potential of Lithium will continue to require disruption, change, and drive. Keep disrupting. Keep being change agents. Keep driving. Keep the vision. Stay humble. Stay hungry. Work on our value prop. Need it to be undeniably strong.

Feb 22, 2015CEO

Great feedback -- we are working hard to follow your advice!

Great company with outstanding value proposition

Current Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great customer base
    Great CEO
    Awesome value proposition for customers

Cons

Has some disgruntled employees who don't leave but keep complaining on Glassdoor

Continue hiring great people and continue weeding out poor performers

Lacking vision for product roadmap that can lead to successful exit

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunches and snacks
    Supportive and transparent upper management and executives
    Competitive pay and benefits
    Good work life balance

Cons

Legacy and highly complex code that can take years to learn.
    Seems only few old timers( 5 years and more) have all the product knowledge and entire company banks upon them rather than finding ways to train new employees.
    Middle management not strategic and highly dependent upon teams to drive all decisions.
    Too many changes in product road map, teams and infrastructure all happening at the same time.
    Features take long time to market.

Do not make too many changes at same time.
    Structure teams around their skill set
    Middle managers should take ownership for strategic goals and be evaluated on their successful completion.

Feb 22, 2015CEO

This is great feedback and we really appreciate the comments. The full year roadmap is amazing and will be rolled out by your leaders over the next few weeks -- stay tuned - I think you will be ... More

Smart, passionate and fun people building/selling great products - excited to be here!

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great on-boarding process but lengthy checklists
    Relentless focus on recruiting the right people and investing in them
    An opportunity to make a real impact
    Fun and empowering work environment
    Smart people that share a shared vision and putting our customers at the centre of what we do

Cons

Recent organisational changes has made it difficult to ramp up as fast as I would have liked but the change is clearly for the best and slowly getting there!

Non at present - the ship is sailing in the right direction!

Jan 28, 2015CEO

Thanks for the comments. We continue to focus on making an impact on the market and on our employees -- appreciate the comments!

Great company trying to solve an interesting problem.

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Online communities and social customer support are a really great space. I like working on things that are fun to talk about with friends and strangers. They treat employees well and the leadership team is strong. It is a great place to be if you are into social networks.

Cons

The company wants to be a growth superstar - but they serve a market that doesn't generate multi-million dollar deals - so revenue growth was good, but not explosive.

Jan 28, 2015CEO

Thanks for the great comments. Our market is evolving into a much broader opportunity and our growth prospects continue to expand. Thanks for your contributions while you were here and best of ... More

fast paced, high-energy, great flexibility and quality of life, awesome coworkers

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

core company values ring true for all employees, great energy and camaraderie, collaborative team-oriented environment, exciting and diverse customer base, projects are new and interesting, great flexibility and work-life balance

Cons

in general management does not care about employee's career development. transitioning to new roles happens, but not as much as it should.

you're missing opportunities to retain talented individuals. care more about your employee's career aspirations, don't pigeon-hole them.

Jan 27, 2015CEO

Thanks for the great input, particularly on internal movement. We are always trying to make this happen more frequently, but I will keep an eye on it.

Rob

Bad place to be right now

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches and snack at the corp office.
    Locations around the country are nice.
    Product could be killer ... key word is could.

Cons

Untrustworthy leadership at pretty much all levels.
    Tough to really archive quote even though the product is pretty sound. May need some new and innovative functionality that makes it a need to have. Not a nice to have.
    Disconnect between Community and Lithium Social Web and Klout. Big question ... why Klout? These products really need a better and more cohesive integration so that marketing can tell a better story. The story has been the same for a long time and just doesn't resonate especially with the competition in this space. Lots of fancy titles and most of these people wouldn't make it at a larger company in similar positions. The CEO thinks he's still at Adobe. He just has no vision and he isn't a real dynamic and innovative leader. Someone mentioned time for changing the guard and I'm afraid this is the case. I noticed a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews lately. I remember during my first year of employment the CEO encouraging employees to write positive reviews. It was to get better developers into the company. My point is to take the reviews with a grain of salt. This place has one of the worst revolving doors I have seen specifically in sales.

Feb 8, 2015CEO

Thanks for the feedback. Glad that you have found a place where you are happier. Best of luck and it sounds like your moving on was best for both you and Lithium

Overall a great place to work

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

1. Really smart people on the marketing team
    2. Interesting product

Cons

1. Too wishy washy. Management never seems to be fully connected on steps for moving forward
    2. Not a lot of room for growth
    3. Tries very hard to have a fun start-up culture feel but doesn't actually deliver

Feb 8, 2015CEO

Thanks for the feedback. We are always working to make our vision and strategy clear to all of the folks throughout the Company. We appreciate your comments and will continue to focus on the ... More

This place has changed ... and not for the better!!

I worked at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Location in San Francisco is pretty nice! Great snacks in the snack room. Some small pockets of good people (but they are looking).

Cons

OK this place has a huge issue with keeping good quality employees especially in the sales division and I was one of them. But that's not the only area of the company. I've seen all divisions loose people There are some "old timers" still left there, and they are still under the belief that a IPO will happen. Highly unlikely in my mind. Some of them are part of the leadership team which can not be trusted and this is from personal experience. They take no responsibility for poor company performance. It's always a game of finger pointing and the old blame game. I personally worked for a leader which over the course of 2 years I only spoke with a handful of times. Zero feedback. Makes for a uncomfortable position to be in or that show I felt
    The CEO (as mentioned by others) isn't qualified to lead. When a CEO is more concerned with removing negative reviews and responding instead of focusing on the issue at had you know there are problems. I think his time would be better spent working on fixing his company. It's a miracle that the board hasn't intervened and replaced him.
     Others have mentioned Klout and I agree, bad decision and it really didn't make much sense base on the products Lithium had at the time.

The products are .. well, as advertised. Marketing is mediocre at best. It's the same message that its always been and keep in mind this is a company that is not a start-up, it is a 14 year old company. I won't talk about sales numbers or quota's, etc. I think there are other reviews that can answer those questions.

The bottom line is that there are so many opportunities out there today take your time to make the right choice!

Feb 22, 2015CEO

Sorry you had a tough time here -- I hope you are happier in your new home

Lithium Technologies Photos