Lithium Technologies

Updated December 15, 2014
3.7

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • nice SF location, WFH and good work life balance for a mid sized company (in 8 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

• Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing company with lots of potential

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here a while, and I've seen the ups and downs, and overall, the company has moved up like crazy. In the last few years we have more than quadrupled in size, expanded to many locations, and acquired big names. This trend continues to grow, highlighting the potential to come. When it IPOs it will be worth it, that's for sure.

To me though, even more than the growth, what keeps me here everyday is the people. The engineers are some of the smartest I have worked with, and the teams are passionate about their work. "Work hard, play hard" is a motto followed seriously. Sure there is politics every now and then, and sometimes bad decisions are made, but overall the people are honest and open to feedback. More importantly, they are willing to let you be an agent of change. If you see something wrong that needs fixing, and you go ahead and do it, you will be lauded. I have done this many times, and each time I have loved the feedback, it makes me want to work harder everyday. I'm not the type to sit back and complain about problems with my workplace and not do anything about it, and this company lets me do that. In fact, they appreciate it and have shown in many ways that doing this is beneficial to both the company and to me (through perks, bonuses, raises and promotions).

Cons

The company is growing in size pretty fast, and that kind of fast change can bring about some anxiety. The management has now realized that this is a potential problem, and steps are being taken to rectify it. With the growth there is also some "professional-ness" that seems artificial, but during day-to-day activities it still feels like gamer culture.

With the growth in size and the cascading of management (vertically), it would be helpful if information were cascaded as it were being thought out (or before it happened). This would help alleviate some of the confusion around why some decisions are made. More events focused around socializing would also help bring people together, removing inter-team disconnects.

Oct 24, 2014CEO

Great feedback. Thanks for highlighting the amazing culture and talent of our engineers -- I couldn't agree more! I get reviews of projects at least once a month and the innovations that are being ... More

Great Place to Be!

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A recently joined Lithium and I have had an outstanding experience. I have been really impressed by the talent of the people that I have met across all departments and the passion that the people that I spoke with had about the company. It has also been inspiring to see the drive that employees have for making customers successful and the outstanding brands that are eager and proud to share the value that they have achieved from the company. The other thing that has really impressed me was the organized and professional HR on-boarding and IT setup process - it couldn't have been any any easier and I was able to be productive and feel like a part of the team from day one. It's really exciting to work somewhere that employees and customers are so engaged!

Cons

This is a fast growing company which always creates changes and this might be hard for people that don't embrace change as readily.

Keep staying engaged with the employees and keep offering opportunities for employees to hear the strategy and ask questions.

Oct 15, 2014CEO

I am thrilled your on boarding has been a positive experience. We will stay engaged as this market is only heating up further!! Thanks for the input.
    Rob

It’s all about the people

Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It’s all about the people. Relationships lead to friendships. Friendships lead to strong communities. Communities lead to society. Businesses and organizations have always known the importance of community and society. Today the Internet is where people congregate. It is where communities and societies live. The reason is simple: communication. Before the Internet if a business, organization or individuals wanted to communicate with other people at a community or social level they used radio, television, magazine, newspaper, postal mail, town halls, and the like. Today we use snapchat, twitter, facebook, whatsapp, and the like. Our company creates the leading Social Platform used by business and organizations to help them realize the full potential of modern day communities and societies. By using our Social Platform businesses and organizations gain tremendous return, individuals and communities gain strong ties and a large voice, and the potential to help people, the potential to help the world increases many times over. The largest pro at Lithium Technologies is that we focus on people, relationships, communities, and society in a way that helps businesses and organizations, but even more so in a way that helps people. It’s all about the people. JF

Cons

Of course we have our ups and downs. Sometimes there are disagreements when it comes to ideas and what should be prioritized. Communication still needs work. This is a common problem whenever there is a large group of people working together towards common goals. The cons are usually the result of passionate people who are really doing what they feel is in the best interest of the company. In no way have any cons I’ve ever experienced here caused me to waver in my confidence of our potential, which, in my opinion is staggering. In fact, I am looking to further educate myself on people, community, and society with an aim to put it to use for our customers and everyone who works hard to keep Lithium going. I am 100% committed. All chips in.

Communication, communication, communication. We need more bonding. We all need to communicate how we feel and what’s going on. Where there is lack of communication frustrations build and false perceptions take hold. No reason we cannot spend a little time each week talking with people on our team in an open and safe forum. Faces to faces. We may not have a dinner table to all sit around and talk about our day with each other. But I do know one thing and that is when a family doesn’t communicate as a group in a safe and relaxed setting then things get rough. We need more bonding. It’s all about people.

Oct 14, 2014CEO

Love the comments and agree -- communication is everything. As our business grows this becomes even more important! Just about everyone is 100% in because this market opportunity is so big and we ... More

Good culture, disruptive technology, career opportunities, optimistic about future.

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, good benefits, lots of opportunities for training, career growth, good culture and office. Branding and word of mouth and increased sales are helping Lithium gain strong reputation in the space. Customers love the products/services.

Cons

Lots of changes (this is good and bad). Change is happening every day and some changes will be bigger than others.

Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure to keep your ear to the ground to what employees are hearing/saying/feeling.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Thanks for this review and your advice. I try personally to keep my ear to the ground as much as possible, but it is always a good reminder. I agree with your comments about our customers -- they ... More

Best place in the world if you're committed to community and social

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciate some of the perks, but to me the best workplace is where I get the chance to do the work I want and to learn the most, and about the people I'm working with -- both colleagues and customers. This place is the top of the list on both counts. I have never in four years had anyone question a decision when it's right for the customer -- not management, not peers. I work with some of the smartest and the most humble people I've worked with in my career. But the best thing for me is the incredible list of brands that choose to work with us. Every week there are great new companies to learn about and work with -- and we have great working relationships because our customers understand that making them successful is what makes us successful.

Cons

Think of all the challenges of fast-growing companies and you will find them here: hiring decisions aren't always great, communication can seriously suck, problems aren't always dealt with as quickly as they need to be. There's still too big a divide between management and staff -- decisions don't always take advantage of our best thinking, because the right people aren't involved. We sometimes suffer from the very same challenges we're helping our customers solve every day -- which is a shame. Lots of missed opportunities to be great, when political challenges make us settle for being average or merely good.

Break down the barriers between management and staff. Stop doing what you think an executive should do, and follow your instincts and your principles. You have the chance to create something really great, and a lot of brands are trusting you to help them. You can't get there unless you open up more decision-making to customers and employees.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Really thoughtful review -- I appreciate that you took the time to share it. Our #1 Value as a Company is to "take customer success personally" - good to see that you feel it is being practiced ... More

Fantastic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked in many organizations and trust me when I say this place is a dream. I am an individual contributor, and treated with respect, and valued.

Cons

I really wish I lived closer. My commute is a bear. But, because I love what I do, it makes it more palatable.

I wish the conversion process was faster. As a contractor, it would be nice to be a regular employee since i have been here well over 6 months.

Great Place to work. Great People. Great Culture.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am surprised by all the negative reviews I see. I have been working at Lithium for 6 months and have had a great experience. It is true that we had to let some people go and I along with everyone else hated it but from what I saw it was done very well. Everyone was given a package and they were also given cobra coverage and out placement support. I have always said that the only type of company I can work for is one that treats their employees with dignity and respect and that is exactly what I saw. Change can be very hard and frustrating but I really do believe they did the best they could. The next day our CEO had an all hands to talk about the business and the changes they were making and why. He has made himself available for questions and I believe he means it when he tells people to come to him.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. The Klout integration is still going on. It wasn't handled perfectly but I have never seen an integrations that has been.

It seems like you are moving in the right direction. Keep it up!

Great culture and full of opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

Culture is awesome; opportunities to work with so many great people across the globe, employees and fortune 1000 customers alike; management listens to feedback seriously - never feel afraid to raise feedback to sr. management / executives, even when negative; corporate values are some of the best out there and it shows that many departments and individuals take them to heart

Cons

Some departments are not as aligned as they should be with the company values, which can have a rippling impact when not attended to

Keep listening to the masses and don't forget our value to "be real"...ever. It's what makes Lithium's culture so unique and still a great place to work despite 2 acquisitions and gaining in size

Start-up feel in a proven business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Awesome work & life balance including flexible PTO
    *Great offices
    *Solid company benefits
    *Strong team of employees
    *Startup feel & culture in a proven business leading an emerging market

Cons

*Internal communication between departments and from management down can definitely improve

*Communication is key. Some departments do it really well and some don't, and everything starts at the top.

3 weeks in and I love it

Current Employee - Marketing Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From the very early beginning of the hiring process, you can feel the great vibe coming from the company. HR has been great to support me throughout the process.

Once I accepted the offer, you get a Welcome email to a dedicated on-boarding website which tell you in details what is expected from you as a new employee, from videos to watch to forms to fill out. Then, you get a clear on-boarding program for the next 4 weeks on what you can expect from the company.

People are very supportive in the business and make time for you to sit down and go through what they do and how they can help you too, which make the on-boarding easier.

Cons

Not so far, it has been a great process so far.

Jul 22, 2014Community Team

Thanks for this feedback! It's always valuable to hear from our recent hires, especially since we've recently redesigned this program to optimize the experience. Hoping the rest of your adventure is ... More

Lithium Technologies Photos