Lithium Technologies

Lithium Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff

Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past(in 10 reviews)

• One possible pro is that they are based in downtown San Francisco(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that(in 6 reviews)

• Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time(in 6 reviews)

3 weeks in and I love it

Marketing Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFrom the very early beginning of the hiring process, you can feel the great vibe coming from the company. HR has been great to support me throughout the process.

Once I accepted the offer, you get a Welcome email to a dedicated on-boarding website which tell you in details what is expected from you as a new employee, from videos to watch to forms to fill out. Then, you get a clear on-boarding program for the next 4 weeks on what you can expect from the company.

People are very supportive in the business and make time for you to sit down and go through what they do and how they can help you too, which make the on-boarding easier.

ConsNot so far, it has been a great process so far.

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for this feedback! It's always valuable to hear from our recent hires, especially since we've recently redesigned this program to optimize the experience. Hoping the rest of your adventure is ... More

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Klout joined
    -culture of fun and hardworking peeps
    -rapid growth and change

ConsSeems to be an easy come easy go mentality

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear what's making Lithium a positive experience for you.

High energy, very smart people, lots of opportunity to advance.”

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun culture, super smart people, great benefits , fast paced, cutting edge technology projects. You are in charge of your destiny so it's pretty much up to you to step up or sit down. If you sit down too long, you won't last. There is opportunity everywhere as long as you have the attitude to do something with it. Most everyone is incredibly helpful.

ConsCompany is growing fast and there are some growing pains associated with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in front line managers, they seem to be pretty green and not as focused on helping their reports grow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome company culture!

Pros- Company has tremendous upside going forward
    - Some of the most inspired and talented people I've ever had the privilege to work with
    - Leadership team is great and always willing to hear out new ideas
    - Good work-life balance...check!

Cons- A little nitpicky but as an employee from one of the offices not in the US, it can be a challenge time-wise to attend meetings set by HQ

Jun 24, 2014

Awesome Glassdoor review! Love what you have to say about our people and culture. It's a shame everyone isn't on the same time-zone. We definitely understand how hard it can be to connect across the ... More

A great company for anyone willing to be friendly and work hard

ProsLithium is a wonderful place to work for a number of reasons. They obviously care about their employees and provide a multitude of high quality meals, snacks, and drinks. Everyone seems to be exceptionally friendly to the point that it is clearly a criteria for hiring. Additionally, the company has a bright future.

ConsThe only real con I could think of as far as working at Lithium would be the lack of significant offices in other states or countries. And honestly, this is only an issue for someone like myself who would love to travel.

Jun 23, 2014

You're right, we do care about our employees! So we're glad to hear you're having a great experience with us so far. Interesting that you call out our lack of offices, as we have a presence in over ... More

Emerging mainstay industry, great people, all the right ingredients.

Lead Operations Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEmerging mainstay market
    Great customers
    Focused leadership
    Spending money in the right places
    Leading the competition
    Talented staff
    Awesome culture
    Beer keg in the office
    Embracing change
    Undergoing change and growth with stride
    Excellent HR department
    Recently increased cross-department and cross-team communication by way of weekly huddles

ConsTypical growing pains of an up and coming business leading the right market at the right time
    Loss of very talented staff at times
    High rate of innovation and production deployment not yet achieved, but working on it. Perhaps impacting our ability to ramp up sales and upgrades by way of resellers and partners?
    Departments and teams are still too siloed. Need to keep breaking down the silos

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is advice to myself and everyone, not just management. We need to keep on doing what we're doing because whatever we're doing is putting points on the board; it's working. We need to maintain this formula for now. We need to stay focused on the right things and keep executing.
    In other news, our company is growing fast. This means more scrutiny from stakeholders. As a result we are developing and enforcing more frameworks, processes, and procedures. At times this is a lesson in frustration management on my part. I like to move fast and free. Sometimes we need to give up things we want to meet the needs of the business and others. Ya'll know who I am.

Jun 23, 2014

This is some good stuff! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We realize that our company is growing pretty darn quick and things are changing as a result. It's an exciting time to be at the center of ... More

Love my job, my colleagues, the office, the location! Best job ever!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPeople take their work seriously. Everyone is in it to win it. You definitely put the time in but you are constantly recognized for your efforts. There is no where to go but up. Benefits are also great. They bring in breakfast twice a week and lunch 3 times.

ConsCan't think of anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Jun 12, 2014

Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear you're having a positive experience and will continue in our efforts to make sure all our team is just as thrilled as you are.

Great place to work with fantastic potential

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI love the professionalism of the team and the willingness to take changes. Engineering is very fast paced. The team has a feel of we are all in this together to make our company great. Really great benefits and perks too.

ConsTraffic is terrible at the office location off 360 in austin. In engineering compensation is at market rate but titles are probably below. For example a Sr engineer at most places in town would be a software engineer here, but compensation is correct.

May 27, 2014

Right on, thanks for your review! Glad that you're loving the dynamic of the company, it definitely makes for a unique experience. Regarding the Austin office, I think we've got some good news in ... More

Great People and Challenging Projects

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLithium has a solid engineering culture with wide participation in internal blogs, lunch and learns, and inter-team projects. This type of culture is key within a software company as it facilitates knowledge sharing, which is sometimes challenging in a growing organization (and Lithium is definitely growing). Another thing I've enjoyed while at Lithium is that most engineers are very humble and there is very little ego to deal with.

There are a lot of different projects going on at Lithium and they are dealing with lots of different technologies (e.g., nodejs, cassandra, redis, angularjs, java) so there is always something interesting to do/learn.

ConsThis is not really a con, but more of a key to success at Lithium. Lithium has been growing a lot in the past two years and with that growth has come change in both the technical and the cultural sense. As I mentioned in the pros section there is a solid engineering culture, but you need to be proactive and engage in this culture to benefit. Success at Lithium is largely dependent on your ability to engage across teams to gain the knowledge you need to do your job as management will not do this for you (i.e., not a lot of hand holding).

As the company is over ten years old there is some work in older code bases and challenging projects relating to integrating older code bases with newer ones (mostly in a service oriented fashion); however this is true at most successful tech companies and I think working with older code provides insight into the evolution of our industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of moving parts within engineering from both engineering-driven refactoring projects to new product direction and it is sometimes easy for engineers to lose site of the wider context in which they work. Continuing to expand the communication channels with monthly meetings and possibly even implementing some type of cross-team work-rotation program will help to break down some of these boundaries.

Apr 28, 2014

These are some great comments - thanks for sharing with us! We think you're spot on about the engineering culture at Lithium. As we continue to grow, it's important for us to understand how our ... More

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe best part of the company is the people. I felt the employees truly believe in no BS and no EGO thing and follow it to the best. Its rare now a days to find companies with really open and defined vision. During my interview process, I was drawn towards the good people whom I spoke to and made my decision to join Lithium compared to others that I had offers.

ConsSomeone suggest a new name please :)
    Or sell the name rights and domain at a premium to Tesla or Panasonic and let them really use the name for their batteries. This company has nothing to do with batteries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stick to keeping open culture and open minds towards engineers.

Apr 1, 2014

We are happy to hear you had a great interview experience and are enjoying the Lithium vision and culture. We are also pumped about your feedback on one of our core values here at Lithium: “be ... More

Worked for Lithium Technologies? Contribute to the Community!