Lithium Technologies

www.lithium.com

Bad place to work. No direction. Stagnant. Does not know how to treat their employees.

I worked at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Free snacks. Nice part of town. Pays reasonably well.

Cons

I worked for this company for almost 4 years. Upper management is disjointed and lacks respect for the people who actually do the work. They bring people in from outside and rarely promote internally. Company offering is stagnant.

Feb 22, 2015CEO

Hope you are happier now that you are with another company -- good luck!

A great place to shine.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The Sales Org works as a team and they focus on sharing strategies, pitfalls, and are open and collaborative
    -Executives are always asking for feedback and open to what people have to say.
    -My manager is empowering and provides my team and I the tools and environment to be successful, to fail, and to learn.

-Lots of energy in the office. Great camaraderie and minimal drama (so far).
    -The company is big on living by their core values.
    -The company is genuinely driven by helping their clients be successful.
    -Great on-boarding experience.

Cons

-HQ Office is starting to get a big cramped. Limited conference room space

-Keep the hiring bar high
    -Focus on exponential growth opportunities in all facets of the business.

Dec 19, 2014CEO

Great to see the positive vibe you are feeling -- it is reflective of what I see us building here. Really excited that your management is transparent and supportive, and yes, we take customer ... More

Overall sound and strong, company is in a great category, with great customers... sr. leadership could use some tuning.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Strong momentum in a somewhat unique space - despite recent entrants from large companies such as Salesforce, the Lithium Community platform has some unique characteristics...
    - Some really talented and dedicated people in the trenches
    - Unique position to lead the industry toward emergence of the 'customer voice' as a leading influencer of purchase intention
    - great location, building, atmosphere

Cons

- overhang of recent acquisitions... you have to assume there was a strong vision from exec team (CEO and board) about how the combined entity of Klout and Lithium would come together with the sum being greater than the parts... but whatever that vision was - it is non-existent at the executive and strategy level... Now having potentially overpaid for it - CEO and team are desperate to show something... square peg - round hole...
    - Corp strategy in constant shift... ask each exec "what is Lithium?" and you'll get a different answer. Ask "lithium is the best in the world at..." and it will become a 5-10 sentence attempt at an answer...
    - engineering ratio (product - not ops or service) to overall employees is embarrassing low for a company at this stage and of this size...

1. Get exec team aligned on what the company wants to be in 3-5 years... paint that picture in a way that it can be explained to customer in 3 minutes or less...preferably less... now remove anything form the company discussion that doesn't point in that direction including recent acquisitions if that's where the chips fall...
    2. CEO - stop trying to be a certain type of CEO, it's transparent - like you're playing a role, just use your experience to be a good leader.
    3. CEO and Exec Team - don't believe you have to be or are the smartest person in the room - most of the time you're not; you can't be - your role requires you to be a generalist. There's a wealth of intelligence under you - leverage it. If you don't believe that, fix it. Your roles are to create an atmosphere where the hundreds of smart people in the org can independently apply their skills... set the strategy and get out of the way... it's not about you and your status, it's about the company succeeding.
    4. Treat people within the org as intelligent adults... ex: if you modify the company financial structure - explain it transparently, in detail, and with conviction - 95% of the company can understand it as well as you can... it's not rocket science... don't think of yourself as a privileged rocket scientist...
    5. Remove the GM role from the CMO - while it's a nice nod to her contributions, it confuses the entire organizational relationships and related strategies... it's a nice gesture to one person at the expense of clarity across the entire organization - a very strong indication of leadership style and decision making

Dec 13, 2014CEO

Thanks for your comments and appreciate the advice on how to improve Lithium. My constant goal is to leverage the intelligence that exists across Lithium. If you have more specific suggestions ... More

Easy Come Easy Go

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Definite effort to make the company feel nice and be a fun place to work

Lithium will out pay competition if you get the hiring manager on your side

There are some cool and smart peeps who are a pleasure to work with, interns seem stoked and want a conversion.

Great location for both accessibility and high tech perks. Free snacks and flat screens everywhere!

Cons

Scattered vision causes emerging level professionals to work like dogs to keep up with shifting demands. The lack of clarity stresses people out and drive them away or frazzled. This has been the talk from multiple departments.

High turnover - I didn't feel sincerity in the relationship. For me, it started from the headhunt "We're a start up, and have been around for 11 years...so we have a start up feel with hot equity package, but with like the perks of being an established company... Isn't that cool?" I'm fine working for a private company.

Aggressive hiring and then freeze and layoffs in the same quarter this year.

Be clear with people. If there are questions or challenges, share it with trusted staff. This should trickle down to majority of your people. Look into hiring pre-qualified, even seasoned people.

Jan 5, 2015CEO

Thank you for your comments. We have taken steps to clarify and simplify our priorities as a Company, and in a fast-moving market this is an ongoing challenge. I appreciate your input and will work ... More

Great potential, disappointing leadership.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies

Pros

Laid back, friendly environment - but driven and focused. Great benefits, including in-house benefits like free snacks, beverages, bagels, coffee, awesome work environment, etc. Really great product that allows for easy and amazing collaboration and is fun to use.

Cons

The company is in a very competitive market with SFDC, MSFT and few others are that are giving away social networking as free offering. It can be expensive at times and companies still see as a nice to have. There is also the issue of high turnover and Management unfortunately is not clear on where o take the company.

Take a look at how the company is organized. This has been mention before, some VP/director roles are duplicates and a good few individuals are not qualified. That needs to be corrected.
    Focus on the products that have proven successful and still have potential, build a real product strategy with a real market/customer research.

Dec 17, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you are not having a strong experience. We don't compete at all with Microsoft as they don't have a product in our space. Our market is vast as well so sorry ... More

Awful Place, terrible leader, unclear vision, Klout what?

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool San Fran office, nice perks, pockets of really good people (who are all looking for new jobs). The LiNC conference is excellent

Cons

CEO is not to be trusted- I love how he responds to the negative posts on Glassdoor with "sorry you feel this way, you should come talk to me about your review" Oh sure - you are such an approachable guy, I'll get right on your calendar. The CRO is not inspiring and hiring his big company friends which is radically changing the culture. Worst turn over I've ever seen -particularly in sales. No clear vision - stop focusing on IPO and start focusing on hitting your quarterly number for a change. It's a highly political environment (coming from the top). And the Klout acquisition has been a total bust! All that has come out of it is dilution of our share price, a complete obliteration of the Klout employee base and lots of head-scratching both internal to LIthium and within the market.

How long is the Board going to put up with Tarkoff's weak leadership and constantly missing the unrealistic numbers he signs up for? Who is responsible for the Klout acquisition and what it's done to the value of the company? Who is responsible for hiring the CRO and the massive turnover that has resulted from that poor hire? It takes a long time for people to become productive, so sales will continue to miss quarter after quarter - someone needs to take responsibility for driving what was once a great company into the ground.

Jan 1, 2015CEO

Wow, sounds like you have had a tough run here. Anyone who wants to get on my calendar can. I am always eager to hear feedback. Not much I can do if you don't try.

Our CRO is a phenomenal
    ... More

Good place to grow your career if you know your stuff

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

1) You get to work with some of the new technology stacks
    2) Great work place location
    3) You get to interact with some of the smart people who are very good at their work and who are ready to help you
    4) Pretty good balance between work and fun

Cons

1) Company is bigger than few years back and I like the fact they want to act like an startup but too many changes among teams can be avoided
    2) Compensation could be improved and meet similar sized company payscale

Company has great potential and hope they execute the plans to make it big on the market.

Be yourself, sharpen your skill,build a kick-ass product,Friendly and inspiring management,smart coworkers!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies (more than a year)

Pros

I am working here for more than 1 and half year.Lithium culture is getting better and better,the direction is changing to be more clear and crisp,Community platform and LSW product with Klout perks is going to give brands great tools to connect with their consumers and consumers to engage into sharing the content they are passionate about.The engineering team is well focussed, if they know what to be delivered at the end of the day.There are really smart engineers who are committed to lithium's success.Still some great members among founders who constantly inspire new comers.Very open culture between management and technical teams.Small scrum teams are mostly in self-operative mode, which is only possible because you are trusted here,and brings in lot of freedom to your daily role and at the same time put great responsibilities on your shoulder,which is very valuable learning for many young engineers.
    It is a great environment that gives you the tools to grow and expects you to deliver success with them.No BS in management layer,no nepotism...real down to earth great leaders committed to connect business with product.

Cons

* long commute to the city,some teams are flexible with wfh and some are not.
    * no 401k match
    * need to focus on fostering team players.

Let the senior most members help more in architecting products with long term vision.It is my perspective that I don't see architect brains here which is needed when some teams have relatively less experienced yet very smart young engineers,but they need to be guided in high level specially in cross system integration areas.

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Great insight and really appreciate the review. I agree that the open culture in our engineering org drives innovation, and I also appreciate the point on long-term architecture as well -- something ... More

Growing company with lots of potential

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here a while, and I've seen the ups and downs, and overall, the company has moved up like crazy. In the last few years we have more than quadrupled in size, expanded to many locations, and acquired big names. This trend continues to grow, highlighting the potential to come. When it IPOs it will be worth it, that's for sure.

To me though, even more than the growth, what keeps me here everyday is the people. The engineers are some of the smartest I have worked with, and the teams are passionate about their work. "Work hard, play hard" is a motto followed seriously. Sure there is politics every now and then, and sometimes bad decisions are made, but overall the people are honest and open to feedback. More importantly, they are willing to let you be an agent of change. If you see something wrong that needs fixing, and you go ahead and do it, you will be lauded. I have done this many times, and each time I have loved the feedback, it makes me want to work harder everyday. I'm not the type to sit back and complain about problems with my workplace and not do anything about it, and this company lets me do that. In fact, they appreciate it and have shown in many ways that doing this is beneficial to both the company and to me (through perks, bonuses, raises and promotions).

Cons

The company is growing in size pretty fast, and that kind of fast change can bring about some anxiety. The management has now realized that this is a potential problem, and steps are being taken to rectify it. With the growth there is also some "professional-ness" that seems artificial, but during day-to-day activities it still feels like gamer culture.

With the growth in size and the cascading of management (vertically), it would be helpful if information were cascaded as it were being thought out (or before it happened). This would help alleviate some of the confusion around why some decisions are made. More events focused around socializing would also help bring people together, removing inter-team disconnects.

Oct 24, 2014CEO

Great feedback. Thanks for highlighting the amazing culture and talent of our engineers -- I couldn't agree more! I get reviews of projects at least once a month and the innovations that are being ... More

Great potential but unfortunately...This is not a "Great" place to work

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great people at this company unfortunately, they'll never reach their full potential by working at Lithium.
    Location is awesome and the creature comforts are also very good

Cons

Management unfortunately is not clear on where the company needs to go and the turnover is awful.
    Anybody considering a sales position here should ask to speak to 5 sales people that met or exceeded their annual quota for a couple of years that are not in the Bay area.

Stop talking about the IPO..this could be a great place without hanging this carrot. Be more "real" and take a close look at the C-suite..some of these people are not delivering to us in the trenches that love Lithium

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Thanks for your review and sorry to hear that you are unclear on where we need to go. I am proud of the many sales reps who have succeeded here at Lithium -- we have enormously talented people and ... More

Lithium Technologies Photos