Lithium Technologies

Updated January 30, 2015
3.7

Lithium Technologies CEO Rob Tarkoff
Rob Tarkoff

Pros
  • nice SF location, WFH and good work life balance for a mid sized company (in 8 reviews)

• Great people with a lot of successful tech company experience in their past (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Based on the above, there is extremely high turnover in Sales and other divisions stay for a long time (in 6 reviews)

• Getting the right people in the right positions and managing the new personnel requirements with the historical talent makes for growing pains (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Awful Place, terrible leader, unclear vision, Klout what?

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool San Fran office, nice perks, pockets of really good people (who are all looking for new jobs). The LiNC conference is excellent

Cons

CEO is not to be trusted- I love how he responds to the negative posts on Glassdoor with "sorry you feel this way, you should come talk to me about your review" Oh sure - you are such an approachable guy, I'll get right on your calendar. The CRO is not inspiring and hiring his big company friends which is radically changing the culture. Worst turn over I've ever seen -particularly in sales. No clear vision - stop focusing on IPO and start focusing on hitting your quarterly number for a change. It's a highly political environment (coming from the top). And the Klout acquisition has been a total bust! All that has come out of it is dilution of our share price, a complete obliteration of the Klout employee base and lots of head-scratching both internal to LIthium and within the market.

How long is the Board going to put up with Tarkoff's weak leadership and constantly missing the unrealistic numbers he signs up for? Who is responsible for the Klout acquisition and what it's done to the value of the company? Who is responsible for hiring the CRO and the massive turnover that has resulted from that poor hire? It takes a long time for people to become productive, so sales will continue to miss quarter after quarter - someone needs to take responsibility for driving what was once a great company into the ground.

Jan 1, 2015CEO

Wow, sounds like you have had a tough run here. Anyone who wants to get on my calendar can. I am always eager to hear feedback. Not much I can do if you don't try.

Our CRO is a phenomenal
    ... More

Nice place to be in - Something for everyon

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Energized and fast paced environment. Free lunches. Good compensation. Politics free environment in engineering and very transparent and open management style. Opportunities to move horizontally to tone your skills in varied engineering development areas. Easy to propose and use new tools and technologies to solve engineering problems.
    Great Onboarding program for new hires.
    Leadership cares about employees.

Cons

Huge legacy code and will take time to move away from it. Takes lot of time to maintain it leaving little time to work on new product development and technologies.

Keep the momentum going.

Nov 19, 2014CEO

Thanks for the great feedback here. We are proud of our products but as an established brand with hundreds of large customers we have to continue to modernize our code at the same time we extend our ... More

Good place to grow your career if you know your stuff

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time

Pros

1) You get to work with some of the new technology stacks
    2) Great work place location
    3) You get to interact with some of the smart people who are very good at their work and who are ready to help you
    4) Pretty good balance between work and fun

Cons

1) Company is bigger than few years back and I like the fact they want to act like an startup but too many changes among teams can be avoided
    2) Compensation could be improved and meet similar sized company payscale

Company has great potential and hope they execute the plans to make it big on the market.

Be yourself, sharpen your skill,build a kick-ass product,Friendly and inspiring management,smart coworkers!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies (more than a year)

Pros

I am working here for more than 1 and half year.Lithium culture is getting better and better,the direction is changing to be more clear and crisp,Community platform and LSW product with Klout perks is going to give brands great tools to connect with their consumers and consumers to engage into sharing the content they are passionate about.The engineering team is well focussed, if they know what to be delivered at the end of the day.There are really smart engineers who are committed to lithium's success.Still some great members among founders who constantly inspire new comers.Very open culture between management and technical teams.Small scrum teams are mostly in self-operative mode, which is only possible because you are trusted here,and brings in lot of freedom to your daily role and at the same time put great responsibilities on your shoulder,which is very valuable learning for many young engineers.
    It is a great environment that gives you the tools to grow and expects you to deliver success with them.No BS in management layer,no nepotism...real down to earth great leaders committed to connect business with product.

Cons

* long commute to the city,some teams are flexible with wfh and some are not.
    * no 401k match
    * need to focus on fostering team players.

Let the senior most members help more in architecting products with long term vision.It is my perspective that I don't see architect brains here which is needed when some teams have relatively less experienced yet very smart young engineers,but they need to be guided in high level specially in cross system integration areas.

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Great insight and really appreciate the review. I agree that the open culture in our engineering org drives innovation, and I also appreciate the point on long-term architecture as well -- something ... More

Great potential but unfortunately...This is not a "Great" place to work

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great people at this company unfortunately, they'll never reach their full potential by working at Lithium.
    Location is awesome and the creature comforts are also very good

Cons

Management unfortunately is not clear on where the company needs to go and the turnover is awful.
    Anybody considering a sales position here should ask to speak to 5 sales people that met or exceeded their annual quota for a couple of years that are not in the Bay area.

Stop talking about the IPO..this could be a great place without hanging this carrot. Be more "real" and take a close look at the C-suite..some of these people are not delivering to us in the trenches that love Lithium

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Thanks for your review and sorry to hear that you are unclear on where we need to go. I am proud of the many sales reps who have succeeded here at Lithium -- we have enormously talented people and ... More

Growing company with lots of potential

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been here a while, and I've seen the ups and downs, and overall, the company has moved up like crazy. In the last few years we have more than quadrupled in size, expanded to many locations, and acquired big names. This trend continues to grow, highlighting the potential to come. When it IPOs it will be worth it, that's for sure.

To me though, even more than the growth, what keeps me here everyday is the people. The engineers are some of the smartest I have worked with, and the teams are passionate about their work. "Work hard, play hard" is a motto followed seriously. Sure there is politics every now and then, and sometimes bad decisions are made, but overall the people are honest and open to feedback. More importantly, they are willing to let you be an agent of change. If you see something wrong that needs fixing, and you go ahead and do it, you will be lauded. I have done this many times, and each time I have loved the feedback, it makes me want to work harder everyday. I'm not the type to sit back and complain about problems with my workplace and not do anything about it, and this company lets me do that. In fact, they appreciate it and have shown in many ways that doing this is beneficial to both the company and to me (through perks, bonuses, raises and promotions).

Cons

The company is growing in size pretty fast, and that kind of fast change can bring about some anxiety. The management has now realized that this is a potential problem, and steps are being taken to rectify it. With the growth there is also some "professional-ness" that seems artificial, but during day-to-day activities it still feels like gamer culture.

With the growth in size and the cascading of management (vertically), it would be helpful if information were cascaded as it were being thought out (or before it happened). This would help alleviate some of the confusion around why some decisions are made. More events focused around socializing would also help bring people together, removing inter-team disconnects.

Oct 24, 2014CEO

Great feedback. Thanks for highlighting the amazing culture and talent of our engineers -- I couldn't agree more! I get reviews of projects at least once a month and the innovations that are being ... More

Had some rough patches. Turning around for the better

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent manager, smart co-workers, low primadonna factor. Friendly, helpful, caring people. Responsive upper management. Promising product vision. Fun product to build. Innovative atmosphere. Good work/life balanec. Fun company culture. Easy commute location.

Cons

Rough, unfocused atmosphere after the Klout acquisition, but this has been improving over the last month and a half. I've worked here for almost two years. There were about four months where I would not have recommended the company to a friend, but things are getting back on track.

Oct 27, 2014CEO

Thanks for your input and feedback. Post-acquisition periods are always difficult, and I appreciate your acknowledgment that we used it as a way to get refocused on the opportunities ahead for the ... More

Great Place to Be!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A recently joined Lithium and I have had an outstanding experience. I have been really impressed by the talent of the people that I have met across all departments and the passion that the people that I spoke with had about the company. It has also been inspiring to see the drive that employees have for making customers successful and the outstanding brands that are eager and proud to share the value that they have achieved from the company. The other thing that has really impressed me was the organized and professional HR on-boarding and IT setup process - it couldn't have been any any easier and I was able to be productive and feel like a part of the team from day one. It's really exciting to work somewhere that employees and customers are so engaged!

Cons

This is a fast growing company which always creates changes and this might be hard for people that don't embrace change as readily.

Keep staying engaged with the employees and keep offering opportunities for employees to hear the strategy and ask questions.

Oct 15, 2014CEO

I am thrilled your on boarding has been a positive experience. We will stay engaged as this market is only heating up further!! Thanks for the input.
    Rob

It’s all about the people

Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It’s all about the people. Relationships lead to friendships. Friendships lead to strong communities. Communities lead to society. Businesses and organizations have always known the importance of community and society. Today the Internet is where people congregate. It is where communities and societies live. The reason is simple: communication. Before the Internet if a business, organization or individuals wanted to communicate with other people at a community or social level they used radio, television, magazine, newspaper, postal mail, town halls, and the like. Today we use snapchat, twitter, facebook, whatsapp, and the like. Our company creates the leading Social Platform used by business and organizations to help them realize the full potential of modern day communities and societies. By using our Social Platform businesses and organizations gain tremendous return, individuals and communities gain strong ties and a large voice, and the potential to help people, the potential to help the world increases many times over. The largest pro at Lithium Technologies is that we focus on people, relationships, communities, and society in a way that helps businesses and organizations, but even more so in a way that helps people. It’s all about the people. JF

Cons

Of course we have our ups and downs. Sometimes there are disagreements when it comes to ideas and what should be prioritized. Communication still needs work. This is a common problem whenever there is a large group of people working together towards common goals. The cons are usually the result of passionate people who are really doing what they feel is in the best interest of the company. In no way have any cons I’ve ever experienced here caused me to waver in my confidence of our potential, which, in my opinion is staggering. In fact, I am looking to further educate myself on people, community, and society with an aim to put it to use for our customers and everyone who works hard to keep Lithium going. I am 100% committed. All chips in.

Communication, communication, communication. We need more bonding. We all need to communicate how we feel and what’s going on. Where there is lack of communication frustrations build and false perceptions take hold. No reason we cannot spend a little time each week talking with people on our team in an open and safe forum. Faces to faces. We may not have a dinner table to all sit around and talk about our day with each other. But I do know one thing and that is when a family doesn’t communicate as a group in a safe and relaxed setting then things get rough. We need more bonding. It’s all about people.

Oct 14, 2014CEO

Love the comments and agree -- communication is everything. As our business grows this becomes even more important! Just about everyone is 100% in because this market opportunity is so big and we ... More

Best place in the world if you're committed to community and social

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciate some of the perks, but to me the best workplace is where I get the chance to do the work I want and to learn the most, and about the people I'm working with -- both colleagues and customers. This place is the top of the list on both counts. I have never in four years had anyone question a decision when it's right for the customer -- not management, not peers. I work with some of the smartest and the most humble people I've worked with in my career. But the best thing for me is the incredible list of brands that choose to work with us. Every week there are great new companies to learn about and work with -- and we have great working relationships because our customers understand that making them successful is what makes us successful.

Cons

Think of all the challenges of fast-growing companies and you will find them here: hiring decisions aren't always great, communication can seriously suck, problems aren't always dealt with as quickly as they need to be. There's still too big a divide between management and staff -- decisions don't always take advantage of our best thinking, because the right people aren't involved. We sometimes suffer from the very same challenges we're helping our customers solve every day -- which is a shame. Lots of missed opportunities to be great, when political challenges make us settle for being average or merely good.

Break down the barriers between management and staff. Stop doing what you think an executive should do, and follow your instincts and your principles. You have the chance to create something really great, and a lot of brands are trusting you to help them. You can't get there unless you open up more decision-making to customers and employees.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Really thoughtful review -- I appreciate that you took the time to share it. Our #1 Value as a Company is to "take customer success personally" - good to see that you feel it is being practiced ... More

Lithium Technologies Photos