Lithium Technologies

www.lithium.com

Great Place to Be!

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A recently joined Lithium and I have had an outstanding experience. I have been really impressed by the talent of the people that I have met across all departments and the passion that the people that I spoke with had about the company. It has also been inspiring to see the drive that employees have for making customers successful and the outstanding brands that are eager and proud to share the value that they have achieved from the company. The other thing that has really impressed me was the organized and professional HR on-boarding and IT setup process - it couldn't have been any any easier and I was able to be productive and feel like a part of the team from day one. It's really exciting to work somewhere that employees and customers are so engaged!

Cons

This is a fast growing company which always creates changes and this might be hard for people that don't embrace change as readily.

Keep staying engaged with the employees and keep offering opportunities for employees to hear the strategy and ask questions.

Oct 15, 2014CEO

I am thrilled your on boarding has been a positive experience. We will stay engaged as this market is only heating up further!! Thanks for the input.
    Rob

Great potential but unfortunately...This is not a "Great" place to work

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some great people at this company unfortunately, they'll never reach their full potential by working at Lithium.
    Location is awesome and the creature comforts are also very good

Cons

Management unfortunately is not clear on where the company needs to go and the turnover is awful.
    Anybody considering a sales position here should ask to speak to 5 sales people that met or exceeded their annual quota for a couple of years that are not in the Bay area.

Stop talking about the IPO..this could be a great place without hanging this carrot. Be more "real" and take a close look at the C-suite..some of these people are not delivering to us in the trenches that love Lithium

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Thanks for your review and sorry to hear that you are unclear on where we need to go. I am proud of the many sales reps who have succeeded here at Lithium -- we have enormously talented people and ... More

Best place in the world if you're committed to community and social

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I appreciate some of the perks, but to me the best workplace is where I get the chance to do the work I want and to learn the most, and about the people I'm working with -- both colleagues and customers. This place is the top of the list on both counts. I have never in four years had anyone question a decision when it's right for the customer -- not management, not peers. I work with some of the smartest and the most humble people I've worked with in my career. But the best thing for me is the incredible list of brands that choose to work with us. Every week there are great new companies to learn about and work with -- and we have great working relationships because our customers understand that making them successful is what makes us successful.

Cons

Think of all the challenges of fast-growing companies and you will find them here: hiring decisions aren't always great, communication can seriously suck, problems aren't always dealt with as quickly as they need to be. There's still too big a divide between management and staff -- decisions don't always take advantage of our best thinking, because the right people aren't involved. We sometimes suffer from the very same challenges we're helping our customers solve every day -- which is a shame. Lots of missed opportunities to be great, when political challenges make us settle for being average or merely good.

Break down the barriers between management and staff. Stop doing what you think an executive should do, and follow your instincts and your principles. You have the chance to create something really great, and a lot of brands are trusting you to help them. You can't get there unless you open up more decision-making to customers and employees.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Really thoughtful review -- I appreciate that you took the time to share it. Our #1 Value as a Company is to "take customer success personally" - good to see that you feel it is being practiced ... More

Fantastic

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked in many organizations and trust me when I say this place is a dream. I am an individual contributor, and treated with respect, and valued.

Cons

I really wish I lived closer. My commute is a bear. But, because I love what I do, it makes it more palatable.

I wish the conversion process was faster. As a contractor, it would be nice to be a regular employee since i have been here well over 6 months.

We need to start firing on all cylinders, sooner than later.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First and foremost- its blatantly apparent to me, and many people working here, that Glassdoor is stuffed with a lot of “fake" reviews for this company. I guess that shouldn't be too shocking ...since narcissism just a trait that comes along with "Social Media" world. You can pinpoint the individuals who wrote a few of them, and they just drink the kool-aid here so much they can't help themselves.

I try to be as fair as possible when I write reviews, ... I am not a "disgruntled" employee, just trying to tell it how I see things.

As someone who has owned a couple large communities before, I believe in the product. Sure you can stand up phpBB/vBull or whatever, but most people aren't really going to be successful at doing that.

I would like to quickly call out an earlier review that slammed the folks down in Austin working on the LSW product, which was totally out of line. I feel like people in that office work very hard on the LSW product. I'm not sure why that comment annoyed me, but it did (I don't even work on LSW).

Overall... I would say the benefits are pretty fair here. My biggest "gripe" would be the lack of a 401k match, and that the equity stake here is likely to have a net value of $0.00, but more on that later. The health, dental and vision are roughly on par for most other employers I've had. I appreciate the commuter benefits, and for someone who lives in the city, it 100% covers my transit costs.

I enjoy the "flexible PTO" plan here, but lately they've been wanting to track the usage of it more. I REALLY hope people aren't abusing it, because that would upset me. Everyone I know is very appreciative of this perk and treats it with respect.

I would advise any net-new employees to negotiate your base pay well, because you'll be at that amount for a while.

Lunch is typically catered in 2/3 times per week and also breakfast a 1/2 times per week. Pretty typical for this area, ...snack and drink rooms around the office. Some people scoff at that stuff, but it saves me a lot of money :)

The office itself is very nice (perhaps a little too nice given the situation), and can get loud at times.

While there are some duds working at Lithium (or for *ANY* company), there are some real diamonds mixed in too. I wish I could name them all, but I think they know. I would like to thank those people for all of the great times I've had, and all that I've learned and been able to teach in return.

Cons

Churn is HIGH here, straight up. My back of the napkin math says we're going through 20-25% of the work force PER YEAR. I've asked my manager about this before, and pretty much got a shoulder shrug. I know turnover can be high in Silicon Valley/SF, but it feels like we're off the chain. Lately it's been a lot of the old timers/some founding members ... which is demoralizing in many ways. As of late, they have not been backfilling many positions either.

The CEO has admitted he's "all in" on ... whatever ... the current strategy to marry the community product+Klout+LSW is. Almost four months later, there is STILL no clear plan on how that's going to happen though. I've seen a lot of presentations with animated GIF's (spinning gears == profit!!), but that's about it.

Sometimes I think we're using the Southpark business plan FOR REAL as our business plan. If you don't know what that is, look on YouTube for a chuckle.

I don't *think* the CEO is inherently evil as some people do, but I think he's in a situation where he's damned if he does/doesn't. I DO think he has some friends in various positions around the company they are ill suited for. Rob made a statement last year he took a lot of heat for, but I actually liked hearing: If you don't believe in what Lithium does... GO.

I mentioned equity above in the positives- BUT Let's "Be Real" here, nobody actually believes we're going to IPO anymore. Get various members of senior management drunk enough (which isn't hard around here!), and they'll admit the BEST CASE SCENARIO is an acquisition. Beyond that, we're going to have to keep raising money and diluting out our equity stakes for the foreseeable future. If you think about it rationally, the time horizon laid out could mean the country ends up in recession again by the time we would/could IPO.

Suffice it to say- I don't think we'll be driving Bugatti's to work anytime soon. BART and MUNI it is.

Another possibility would be a drastic OpEx reduction (read: more layoffs?) sooner than later to cut the burn rate. Every now and then management lets it slip what our cash position is, and those who choose to be observant can determine we're burning through cash at a decent clip. The 20-30 people just let go will help, and also subletting underutilized office space will too. That said, those leases never should’ve been signed in the first place.

The bonus/review cycle here is, in a word, onerous. WHY are we literally doing what most companies do 4x a year now? What a colossal waste of time. I honestly feel bad for my manager having to do that. I say reduce the formal reviews down to once per year, and at managers discretion pay out the bonus in quarterly chunks.

As others have said, be more transparent and WHY are there so many managers here? I can name like 3-4 people who have 1-2 maybe 3 direct reports. I know throwing a title at people can be a perk in lieu of pay, but maybe dial that back a bit.

Even if its going to be painful, let's keep cutting if we have to. People who hate their jobs, put in your notice and save us your whining.

I think you'd be surprised how well we can take the truth.

Oct 17, 2014CEO

Thanks for the time to give us a review -- and thanks for recommending Lithium. I tried to follow your train of thought in this review but found some parts difficult to understand -- let me try to ... More

Work with cool technologies on a product that really gets used and makes a difference.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistently growing revenue stream based on well know customers that use the product at scale. This has lead to predictable growth and stability at the company that has allowed for consistent execution of plans.

Very experienced and talented engineering management team hired a couple years ago to bring fresh blood and energy into engineering. This has meaningfully transformed the culture of engineering here into a place of experimentation and innovation. Its been really cool to inject modern big data technologies into our application and make it able to do things that at one time felt impossible.

Nice environment. Engineering is on the 14th floor of an office building in the financial district of San Francisco. Its a really bright and uplifting environment. We get catered breakfasts and lunches and an unbelievable snack and drink selection. A lot of young people work for the company so there are always a lot of opportunities to make friends and socialize if you want to.

Good experience. We get to do real things and are held accountable. I always feel like I am being asked to learn something new. I feel like I am paid well and the bonus program is real. If you work hard and produce you will be compensated well.

I believe in the marketing vision of management. What this really means is that I think that someday when the company goes public the stock could be worth some serious money. That's exciting to me because I've worked in start-ups for which that was not the case.

Cons

We have a huge installed base of existing customers. This means that decisions are tempered and constrained by the expectations of existing users. This means that sometimes we have to do a lot of what feels like "extra work" to satisfy existing constraints. Sometimes things will move slower than we want them to because of work we have to do to satisfy previously incurred technical debt.

The environment is fast paced. We work hard and constantly have to be improving our game. Sometimes I get tired.

Be transparent. Nothing is ever all positive or all negative. Accurately and honestly communicate the priorities the plan and the results. Transparency builds trust and stability.

A Great Challenge, Working With Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Lithium is challenging. We are in a fast-moving space and our customers demand a high level of quality, but that’s what keeps it interesting. As an engineer, you’re given a seat at the table with regards to architecture, design, and other key choices that (at other companies I’ve worked at) have been made by management or architects. I work with some of the most talented Engineers I’ve met in silicon valley. Probably a key reason I choose to work here is that I am able to learn from my peers to hone my skills and make myself a better engineer. The quality of developer here is very high. Not too many big egos (in this field it’s hard to eliminate entirely).

Lithium is at a pivotal point in its journey. I feel like my co-workers honestly enjoy the work they do here and want to create a quality product. We’re all working together. That’s what keeps me coming back each day.

Cons

There was an acquisition earlier this year, which was a super exciting thing to be able to watch first-hand, but there was a (not completely unexpected) rocky period when we started working together. I don’t mean it wasn’t enjoyable, but it could have been managed better.

Primarily, the difficulty related to uniting two companies together under a common purpose is a non-trivial task. For a company of Lithium’s size, this has the potential to hurt cultures on both sides of the aisle. The acquired company made up a reasonable percentage of the newly combined company. Each company has its own work cadence, culture, self-image, and way to do things. Maintaining individuality while starting to work together takes time. When families grow one by one, integration becomes organic. When two families come together through marriage, there are often more troubles. All said, I think we have done a pretty good job. But things could always be smoother. We have grown tremendously as a company since this took place, and I look forward to how we will grow in the future.

Listen to your employees by asking questions. It isn’t enough to show up and expect things to work themselves out. Leaders should be at the front of the pack, not directing from behind. And keep up the good work.

Good culture, disruptive technology, career opportunities, optimistic about future.

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, good benefits, lots of opportunities for training, career growth, good culture and office. Branding and word of mouth and increased sales are helping Lithium gain strong reputation in the space. Customers love the products/services.

Cons

Lots of changes (this is good and bad). Change is happening every day and some changes will be bigger than others.

Keep doing what you're doing, but make sure to keep your ear to the ground to what employees are hearing/saying/feeling.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Thanks for this review and your advice. I try personally to keep my ear to the ground as much as possible, but it is always a good reminder. I agree with your comments about our customers -- they ... More

Great people, great challenges, confused management

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* people working here are smart, friendly, and fun to work with.
    * fun and challenging problems to work with and solve.
    * focus on scrum process
    * good benefits including travel expenses except 401K match.
    * lithium is a leader in its space. Not many companies do what lithium does.
    * lunches 2 days a week. Although, used to be 3 days a week.
    * competitive compensation.
    * good HR team.

Cons

* Management seems to be lost and confused on the direction that they want to take for the organization
    * recent sudden layoffs

Oct 12, 2014CEO

Glad to hear you see the strength in the people at Lithium -- it is our #1 asset as a Company. I am sorry you don't see the management direction clearly -- let's connect on this as our strategy is ... More

Great Place to work. Great People. Great Culture.

I have been working at Lithium Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am surprised by all the negative reviews I see. I have been working at Lithium for 6 months and have had a great experience. It is true that we had to let some people go and I along with everyone else hated it but from what I saw it was done very well. Everyone was given a package and they were also given cobra coverage and out placement support. I have always said that the only type of company I can work for is one that treats their employees with dignity and respect and that is exactly what I saw. Change can be very hard and frustrating but I really do believe they did the best they could. The next day our CEO had an all hands to talk about the business and the changes they were making and why. He has made himself available for questions and I believe he means it when he tells people to come to him.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. The Klout integration is still going on. It wasn't handled perfectly but I have never seen an integrations that has been.

It seems like you are moving in the right direction. Keep it up!

Lithium Technologies Photos