Little Airplane Productions

Josh Selig

1. Great content in an unhappy environment

Former Contractor - Animator in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Animator in New York, NY

I worked at Little Airplane Productions as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little Airplane places all of its focus on the content it produces. If you work there, you can be confident that you'll be part of a team that makes great work for children. The artists and technicians are wonderful people who come together for the sake of the work. The management takes its job very seriously, almost too seriously.

Cons

Little Airplane does not provide well for its employees. The salaries and benefits are low across the board. While the management honestly strives to maintain a healthy work/life balance, you will often be asked to work late or come in on weekends if you're working on a project with a deadline.

Advice to Management

The biggest systemic problem is with the structure of LAP. The head of the company is a creative person with no regard for budgets and schedules. No one is allowed to say no to this person, and the budgets are always tight. As a result, project scopes get out of control and schedules fall out of whack. As management tries to appease the CEO but squeeze its tight budget, the environment gets very stressful. To make it worse, there is an attempt to keep on a smiley face at all times with a culture that encourages a fake, plastic preschool happiness.

2. Ehhhh

I worked at Little Airplane Productions as an intern

Pros

Beautiful building, interesting people. Nice area. Interns were included in morning meetings.

Cons

Maybe things have changed since then, but my experience at Little Airplane was very lukewarm. Worked in Photoshop mostly. Interns were separated from the staff pretty often. No shadowing nor any animation opportunities. It'd be safe to say I didn't learn much. Many workers there were friendly enough. Others kind of snobby, as if they knew we wouldn't join their team anyway.

Advice to Management

Step up your intern game. Newbies are talented and competent enough to make a difference. Pay them, too.

3. A great job with a great team.

Current Employee - Animator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Animator in New York, NY

I have been working at Little Airplane Productions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A warm work environment with teams of talented people. The work would always pose challenges on a daily basis.

Cons

Sometimes, the lack of windows could lead to some heavy days in terms of atmosphere. I'm all for quiet, dark, and solitude, but a bit of daylight can go a long way.

Advice to Management

No advice to give - from my perspective, they did well.

Pretty Big Waste of Time

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Little Airplane Productions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool building, easy work, sometimes leave early

Cons

I feel like I'm invisible when I go to work at Little Airplane. The only people I talk to is the other intern or two working that day and my boss. Everyone else seems to avoid contact at all costs, unless I go up to them and force conversation upon them. Our work has nothing to do with animation, all we do is pump out generic pictures for their Facebook page. If you finish early you may get asked to do office work or run an errand, or be told you can sit around and work on your own personal projects (I'd much rather go home and do it there, thanks). I've asked to shadow an animator (or anyone else!) several times, but my request hasn't been taken into account. They don't care. Now that their recent promo is ending, interns really don't have much work to do. Every day I go there feels like a huge waste of time. They won't even give us compensation for transportation, it's ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Like everyone else is saying -- treat your interns like people. Make them feel at least somewhat appreciated and stop wasting their time.

Interns Beware!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Little Airplane Productions as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Sadly, there are NO pros with this review. If anything you're going to save your money traveling.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are a lot of cons with this studio. I was a fan of the series "The Wonder Pets" and I was also a fan of children's television. I thought I was going to get a rather large experience with a well known company that works on the aforementioned programs. Boy was I wrong. With the bright jubilant facade of an easy going company, lies its truer and darken disposition. I was promised that I was going to get a great experience in the animation department and learn the tools of the trade. I have never gotten any of that in my months there. Instead, I was put in charge along with several other 'eager' interns to handle the front desk from 9:00 in the morning to 6:30 at night. There was no concern for the intern's time. Lot of people paid out of their own pocket to travel the three hour journey to Little Airplane Productions, with no compensation or gratitude. I even remember one intern saying they had to go to the executive producer's penthouse to supervise a window contractor for three hours and didn't get home until eleven at night. There was even a time for the Kidscreen Summit party where we were all told we were invited to the festivities, only to be told that we were going to be there as caterers. That was all done through email and there was no consideration with the Blizzard of 2010 blowing through at that time either. I would strongly avoid interning here at all costs.

Advice to Management

Treat your interns like people. Sure, we don't mind photocopying or doing coffee runs, but let us shadow some of the workers, let us try to get a hands on approach on the work.

intern

Former Intern - Character Design in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Character Design in New York, NY

I worked at Little Airplane Productions as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

worked with photoshop a lot

Cons

they didnt give us any new projects, or any animation related material

Advice to Management

include interns on production

Little Airplane

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

This is the toughest job you will ever love. Highly creative people working toward making beautiful kid's programming.

Cons

Squeezed into a cool but very poorly climate controlled space. High level of burnout. Not enough artists to do the work. This is par for the course in TV production and this is one of the only animation companies left in New York not focused on purely promotional tv. And one of the few not outsourcing to some sweatshop. Suck it up.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any feedback or advice to the leadership of Little Airplane Productions, that they have not heard before. Hire people carefully. Treat people better?

Toxic environment

I worked at Little Airplane Productions full-time

Pros

Pretty office, gained experience that looks good on the resume, got to eat lunch at all the neat South Street Seaport area restaurants, made a few good friends

Cons

Crazy management, poor work-life balance, out of control office politics, employee exploitation, fear tactics. This place treats their artists like disobedient children instead of competent, professional adults. Most of the artists were miserable but no one would do anything about it. Senior staff is condescending and takes the artists for granted. Long hours with no paid overtime. Was sometimes made to stay very late, unpaid, and not offered dinner (working at 10 PM, not having eaten since 1 PM). Just a totally toxic and miserable environment.

Advice to Management

Treat people like human beings and they won't burn out.

RSS Feed </> Embed