Little Lukes Childcare Center

Updated March 5, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
3.3
Darci Powers

1. Such a rewarding career - barely like work!

Current Employee - Teacher in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The kids are the best, the people I have met and work with each day are amazing, the administration is supportive and has a great philosophy and commitment to families & education, the facility is clean and well kept, and resources are abundant - I can't believe I actually get paid too!

Cons

brrrrr...the cold upstate NY weather!

Advice to Management

Open more! Thank you for listening to what the employees want and being reasonable and saying yes when you can!

2. Upper management leaves a lot to be desired...

Former Employee - I: I Aide, TA, Substitute, Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - I: I Aide, TA, Substitute, Administrative Assistant

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center

Pros

Great coworkers, every day you'll have something new to make you smile from a teacher or a child's antics. This is one of the most emotionally rewarding jobs I've ever had! Fellow teachers provide a wonderful support system and truly desire nothing more than your improvement and friendship. The special needs program and therapists are amazing! Trainings are provided by the company, such as First Aid/CPR, Medication Administration and others.

Cons

Upper management will try to work you to the bone and pay you for much less than you are worth. Anyone who is not in an administrative, management or therapy position is considered "disposable", and this shows every day in how the staff are treated. I went almost 4years doing several different positions and had some "promotions" but stayed at the same hourly wage for that entire time - minimum wage was raised to my pay rate not too long after I began my employment, and there was no pay compensation. If an employee were to speak out against how they were treated, it wasn't surprising to see a cut in hours or "snubbing" from all upper management. For a school-modeled daycare, you'd think they'd have more respect for their teachers.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like people. I think that it is ridiculous and completely unfair that the director of the Fulton center never paid for her two children to attend, while 1:1 aides or other staff who made minimum wage had to pay the full amount. There is blatant favoritism at all centers, and the teachers and staff who truly care about the children they work with are ignored, spurned and derided in favor of the teachers who tell upper management either what they want to hear, or the cheapest option. When a teacher truly advocates for the children in their classroom instead of being docile and doing what management would prefer, they are put at risk for termination. I saw two amazing teachers and wonderful people pushed out for no real reason during my last summer/fall with Fulton; one of whom wasn't ever given a reason for her termination, the other was given an almost imaginary 'reason'. Most of the teachers that are hired immediately throw themselves into working with the children and the staff and put their whole heart into every day - until they realize that you, of the management, will never appreciate or reciprocate them for what they do. Treat your staff like the amazing people they are, and maybe you wouldn't have lost me, and you wouldn't have such a high turn over. Working a part-time job with full-time hours, as you worked me, and still needing to work two more jobs should not be a necessity.

Look for employment elsewhere!

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center part-time

Pros

Semi-flexible work schedule, great kids

Cons

No raises, horrible pay, made to feel easily replaceable, stupid rules, cant keep employees therefore there is never enough people to cover breaks and bathroom breaks, usually have to stay past scheduled time due to no coverage with no OT or compensation

Advice to Management

Need a new director! One who is actually IN the office and not always on the phone! One who follows the same rules other employees have to follow (ex. clothes, phone policy...)

Poor ownership and management

Current Employee - Special Education in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Special Education in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

hours are school hours so they are nice.

Cons

Its a who you know company, if your related or in with the owners and mangers great you can be a total looser and move right up. If your a good worker and care about the kids, don't complain about the inept workers the cant do there jobs because the managers will fire you! After all, they are friends of theirs.

The benefits are not for the anyone except upper management those that do the work don't matter. The management tells its worker right up front " you can be replaced very easy".

Advice to Management

Your totally incapable of treating people fairly, sell the company and don't afflict any more employees with your unfair ways and methods. There is no hope for you, as you are whats wrong with this country.

6. Little Lukes is a great place to work and offers job stability!

Current Employee - Little Lukes Employee
    Current Employee - Little Lukes Employee

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity and a rewarding place to work. Caring administration and staff. Very family oriented company that offers flexibility for their employees. Various employment settings. Supportive management and co-workers. Company that is dedicated to their employees, the children that they care for and the community!

Cons

There are none! This is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It is comforting to know that Little Lukes strives to continue to expand when other companies are closing.

May 20, 2014marketing/recruiting director

We are very proud of our supportive team and flexibility for employees. So glad you're part of the team!

7. Wonderful Experience, love my job!

Pros

Wonderful staff, children and families to work with on a daily basis. Staff is hard working, and dedicated. This is not just a job to me this is my second home, a place where I look forward to being! Leaders are always flexible and willing to offer guidance whenever needed.

Cons

The turnover rate can be tough, but you will see this at any job and rate of pay is a turn off for most which can be difficult.

May 20, 2014marketing/recruiting director

So glad you look forward to being at Little Lukes each day!

8. Absolutely Adore Being a Part of The Little Lukes Family!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY

Pros

Compassionate peers/staff - being surrounded daily by individuals who show such passion and care towards their job and the people they serve is a delight! Fun & upbeat atmosphere. Excellent support from upper management. Company both encourages and helps in professional and personal growth of employees. Generous with time off awarded. Great flexibility and consideration for family and home life.

Cons

Benefits offered are not catered to all employee types.

May 20, 2014marketing/recruiting director

Employee professional AND personal growth is a key ingredient to our success at Little Lukes. By having such wonderful staff, we are a magnet for others who truly care for the children and families ... More

little lukes

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oswego, NY
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Little Lukes Childcare Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fun work environment, friendly coworkers, rewarding job

Cons

horrible pay, not financially rewarding at all.

May 20, 2014marketing/recruiting director

Thanks for your feedback. Fun & rewarding is a great way to describe our childcare center atmosphere. :) Our pay rate is competitive with other centers in the area, and we feel that our friendly ... More

Dead end job with no appreciation for hard workers.

I worked at Little Lukes Childcare Center

Pros

Nice co-workers and kids. Several locations to choose from. The Baldwinsville location is great, but the building issues and parking situations leave a lot to be desired.

Cons

Horrible pay, no training, no expectations laid out, poor management style, too much work for no recognition, poor moral throughout. This is "just a job" until you can find something/anything that's better. It grew to be extremely hard to want to go to work every day.

Advice to Management

Train managers to manage. Plan ahead for staffing and schedule changes. Treat employees with respect and fairness. Recognize good workers. Provide annual reviews and pay increases. Fix the problems in the building, like the recurring raw sewage smell, bug infestations, roof leaks, etc.

Little Lukes Childcare Center Photos