Live365

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.3

Hong T. Lau

Good early career job but easy to outgrow.

I worked at Live365 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pioneer in internet radio.
    Some excellent and very cool employees.
    Nice office with great Silicon Valley view.
    Fun industry.
    Good early career job.

Cons

Confusion among upper management. No coherent vision for the future.
    Limited career advancement possibilities.
    Difficult industry to be successful in as a company.
    Dry corporate culture.
    Outdated software.
    Low pay.

Incentivize your employees. Promote from within. Find a plan and stick to it.

Good company to work but wit very poor upper management

Former Employee - NONE in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - NONE in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice and friendly people, interesting industry, good place to start and learn.
    Nice office building with beautiful view. Some of the nicest and smartest people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Very poor management. Previous CEO (Hong Lau) likes to yell at and threaten employees in public.
    It is not easy to get any promotion or raise.
    Salary pay is below market price.

Please respect your employees.

Incompetent and Irrelevant Company

Former Employee - Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none! Unless you consider a paycheck a pro but that's included by default and you can get that anywhere. This place has nothing to offer anybody.

Cons

They don't really care about technology, and worse their knowledge of it is outdated so I don't see any chance of them surviving in their current space. They're dead in the water!

Management is completely clueless. Every department is like the blind leading the blind and the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. Tech projects are poorly conceived and even more poorly defined by people who don't understand the technology at play. Whats worse is that there is absolutely zero transparency and everything is micro managed by the wrong people.

Company morale and culture is very poor. Working for Live365 will make you feel like an underachiever because management doesn't know what to do with your talents. Its a dead-end career with no real opportunity for advancement or setting yourself apart in the tech space.

Working here will make you feel like your career is being lead straight into the dumpster by a bunch of donkeys (I'm sorry, but it is true). Please, if you have any talent or career aspirations I beg of you, DO NOT WORK HERE. Live365 will not survive, they will go out of business.

Consider looking for a new job.

If you must stay and try to fix whats broken then I would try to be more transparent and to run the company like a true tech company and stop shipping software projects overseas. Let your internal team develop the systems so you know how they work!

I would also fire lots of employees. They are not needed (their contributions don't justify their salary) and are only draining company funds. Go smaller and be more agile so that you can actually push a unified product out the door and not be so stagnant. There is no need for that many people around when the company is trying to redefine itself.

The first person I would replace is the CTO. The current one is in over his head.

A complete mess with a lousy, outdated product

I worked at Live365 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly good, friendly people, pleasant offices, flexible hours, and the company provides snacks and beverages. It's a fairly easy commute to the Foster City office from SF or the peninsula, and parking is free.

Cons

Where to start? Worst of all, compensation is pretty dismal for the tech sector and for the Bay Area. But what makes it worse is that employees who do choose to stay at Live365 for many years never see themselves advance, and instead go years without a single raise.

But maybe compensation would be higher and advancement would be a possibility if Live365 had any products making a solid profit. The core Live365 product is poorly branded, poorly positioned, and hasn't really changed since 1999. When ideas for other, more innovative products come along, Live365 may give them a chance, but quickly drains their lifeblood through abysmal management and a lack of direction from the top.

While upper management have no idea what they're doing, at least they seem to mean well. However, Live365 also seems to attract a small but vocal number of employees who like to play office politics, instigate battles between workgroups, and generally sow unrest. Despite the majority of the employees being good-natured and friendly, there are enough rotten eggs to make working at Live365 feel like a high school cafeteria at least 60% of the time.

Take a look at the market for digital music services and where streaming radio is going. Then look at what you're doing, and try to adjust to the market. If you keep clinging to the broadcaster-focused model you've offered since 1999, your revenues will very quickly dry up completely and the whole company will fold in on itself.

Abandon ship!

I worked at Live365 full-time

Pros

Really good folks in the trenches who work hard and want the company to succeed. You leave at a reasonable hour because there is no structure.

Cons

Zero transparency. Leadership does not use the Live365 products or understand the service themselves. Not one lead has any business being in the music space, or even web space. A thousand vague ideas coming from every direction but no organizational structure to finish one project. The products that are approved have no tangible ROI, most new initiatives are just pathetic. No support or resources for an unreasonable workload, "just do it." No thanks, no raises, no fun.

Threatening to terminate your employees unless you see results probably worked great in the 70s, but this is Silicon Valley in the new millennium. Your best and brightest will continue to move on as you replace them with recent grads with no experience. You've lost your grip on the rudder.

Glad I'm out

Former Employee - Administrative in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Foster City, CA

I worked at Live365 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are good honest people and they had wheat thins for snacks

Cons

Management is a joke. The CEO's way of "motivation" is threatening to fire people. He never responded to email or even used it. What kind of CEO of a TECH company doesn't use email?! The over all atmosphere is severely depressing. Everyone is constantly saying, I gotta get out of here.

Threatening to fire people is NOT the way for motivation.

Great product, people; lousy ownership, leadership

I have been working at Live365

Pros

Digital music is fun. Small company feel. Good life/work balance. Relatively stable/been around for a long time. Some upside potential.

Cons

4 CEOs since 2011; lots of turmoil at the top; iffy business prospects; sometimes toxic office politics; unusual corporate philosophies; aging tech infrastructure. No options/equity plan for employees. Understaffed in many areas.

Uneasy, a bit dull

I have been working at Live365

Pros

Free parking, free parking...oh, did I mention free parking?

Cons

Corporate feel...upper Mgt too good for others, morale is lousy, very dry atmosphere...work hard, but Not play hard environment.

Have to spend money to make money...improve the overall image/company...upgrade on softwares/technology...benefits are cheap (for the company), meaning it's not something to brag about...need to run this company as a USA/Bay Area/high tech org...not like a foreign country.

Great people, fun atmosphere

I have been working at Live365

Pros

My love of music brought me here, the people make me stay. Plenty of camaraderie, and I feel like I'm really making a difference. Internet radio is booming, I'm glad to be on the cutting edge. Nice digs, flex time.

Cons

Wish I had more time to explore the 5,000 DJs that spin here.
    Even though anyone in the world can listen and be a DJ, I wish we had more music contributors from other countries.

Many of the people I talk to know about Live365, but many don't.
    I would spend more on branding, to up the level of awareness.
    Grow the company by expanding into new markets.

A decade full of wonderful learning experiences and great opportunities!

I have been working at Live365

Pros

Amazing team of professionals all working to see a great idea in revolutionizing radio succeed.
    A start up without the start up feel.
    Excellent compensation and benefits package.
    Flexible schedule, free amenities.
    Foster City office is centrally located in the Bay Area for easy access from anywhere.
    Great office in one of the best buildings in the Peninsula... amazing views!

Cons

Like with any start up, there is a slight sense of uncertainty but Live365 has survived through the years and currently working to expand.
    There's no stock option or equity plan.
    Current organizational structure is a bit unorthodox.

Live365 Photos