LiveOps

Be The First To
Add Photos

LiveOps President, CEO and Director Marty Beard

Marty Beard

Pros:
  • "Most employees can work from home Fridays"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Nice office, nice employees, bagels provided for breakfast, pizza Fridays, flexible schedule"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "On top of that it is super hard to get hours and if you do then you are often sitting with no call volume"
    in 8 reviews
  • "25 per minute of talk time which is riduculous"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Terrible for anyone with a consience

Independent Agent (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hrs. Hours are flexible if you want a part time job with little to no pay. You get 25 cents per minute of talk time.

ConsTerrible pay, business practices are questionable at best, poor management, unprofessional, rude supervisors, demand badgering callers pelting them with things they don't want even if they've already repeatedly told you they aren't interested, run scammy calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo legitimate, treat people well, pay better, and be ethical.

CEO resigned, CTO resigned, CFO resigned this month

ProsAbsolutely none. Marty Beard killed this company.

ConsEverything went downhill after Marty Beard took over and made LiveOps his personal playground, bank account then moved to San Diego.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back Maynard Webb!!!

Very Sad

ProsSchedule very flexible, in the terms that you can work when you want and not someone else schedule. Nice to be able to work from your home.

ConsAgent seem to be very unhappy due the unfair metric system that is in place. And being able to get hours seems to be very impossible. As one agent put it, it is like whacking a mole so to speak.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-group and make your people happy, so they can make your clients happy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DEAD END TRAP! You will hate yourself before you leave. $50 per day working more than 8 hours and HIGH STRESS Sales.

ProsOnly Flexibility, everything elses is not worth it. You will make less than minimun wage or work soo many hours to make it that 'flexibility" mean nothing.You still wont have time for what you want.

ConsYou will be a fake "Business Owner". Expect to sit hours for free. The real products you sell are the upsells. Your job's success is dependent on selling misleading products that trap seniors into reoccuring monthly fees that are impossible to cancel. Managers have no respect for you. You will wake up to find no work. No explanation, no renegotiating. They don't answer emails,especially if you are questioning there unfair business practices. There expectations are too high for the little money you make. This place is for people who are okay being low earners. Flexibility is their excuse for staying.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of you "Business Owners". You give WAH jobs a bad reputation.

Do not waste your time and money

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsYou can work from home.

ConsThe new rules have made this job impossible for a newbie. If you have never done sales before, the odds will be against you. I do not understand why management has made it so hard, but being self employed and working from home, means nothing if you are not getting calls. Please, please, if you are unemployed and barely getting by, do not join up with LIveops, it is not the company that it once was. Just in one year, I cant get over how much this company has changed for the worse. All the good things you see said about this company from previous years, does not come close to describing this company now. Pleqse beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome back to reality before you totally destroy Liveops. Stop looking at your numbers, and start looking and listening to your reps. I hope I can find the companies that you lost all your lines to, so that I can go work for them now.

Started out great and went downhill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe ability to work from home.

ConsChildish behavior and total lack of accountability in some matters.
    Operators are pretty much forced to keep pushing products even when the customer is getting ticked off.

Disappointing

Programmer (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsNice office, nice employees, bagels provided for breakfast, pizza Fridays, flexible schedule.

ConsNo direction in where the company is going. They are not hiring permanent employees at the moment unless the CEO approves it. People are often standing around and talking instead of working. If you do not fit in to the clicks here you are done for. There is a very high turn over rate. They will tell you what a great job you are doing and that they will hire you on permanently just to let you go and not tell you why.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personal with your employees. The people that are still there are really wonderful hard working employees but they are losing faith in the company and the CEO.

Extremely High Turnover

LiveOps Contractor (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsShares a nice campus with other companies like EA - If you walk out the back of the shared office building it's nice and soothing.

Free bagels and fruits a couple times a week, free drink fridge and cheap vending machine

Most employees can work from home Fridays

Near the Caltrain and most employees steal rides for free on the EA shuttles

ConsAmazingly high turnover rate - Over a third of the company left in the past 12-18 months. Most employees work from home Fridays because they have horrible commutes since they relocated.

Below market rate pay - They constantly use contractors and try to lowball which results in the poor quality

Human Resources - They're stuck in their old ways and you can hear them discriminate over trivial things that have nothing to do with being capable of doing the job like format of a resume or not working in the industry for a position where it doesn't matter.

CEO that's not good with people - He moved the company from Santa Clara which is surrounded by talent to Redwood City.

Bad overall morale - People are there because they don't have many other options

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the honorable thing and resign

Great potential and product, but culture isn't keeping up

Director (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe product is innovative and transformative. The industry is exciting. The original engineers built a phenomenal core platform that is leaps and bounds better than other supposedly "industry leaders". The tools for the agent business are the best, bar none. CEO is a good visionary and strategic mind. Pay has been substantially increased in the past few years to retain and attract people.

Despite the comments in the below "con" section, there are some amazing and talented employees at LO. When motivated, they are the best at what they do. Many employees who have been there for 5+ years still believe in the original LO dream (or maybe they're waiting for the IPO they were promised and are working tirelessly to hold that hope in place).

If you want an EASY job with little oversight, and cruise to a 20-25 hour work week, come to LiveOps. It's the best place to cash a decent check. Benefits are good. You can just do your job and have a balanced personal and family life. Overall, the people are pleasant around the office so it is very bearable. If you work on the platform side of the business, which is where the company's strategy is moving towards, you will likely be in a safe job. Not so much if you're applying for a job on the agent side.

ConsWhile I commend the CEO's strategic mind and abilities, he is a negative cultural influence on the company. He has frequent layoffs, he moved his family to San Diego and opened a personal office there. He hardly comes into HQ or the other AZ office. Whether true or not, the mass perception is that he cares about his personal life instead of his employees. He doesn't want to roll up his sleeves and fix the business.

The agent business generates all the revenue and profit for the company, but that profit is spent in bad investments, decisions, and overpaid execs. Since he's not in the office, he doesn't know who else he could trust so he continues to overpay 2 "corporate eyes and ears", though everyone knows they add no productive value or function. The SVP of Eng is very capable but it's obvious his motivation is drained. The SVP of Platform is highly motivated and a workhorse, but is handicapped by the CEO.

Marty drove Maynard away with his personal interests, decrepit culture, and poor results (Maynard is the former CEO and Chairman of LO, and current Chairman of Yahoo). Approve of Maynard's contributions to LO or not, the reality is Maynard's association to LO brought immense credibility to the company. Now, that's gone. If Marty is Chairman of the Board, one has to wonder who will hold the CEO accountable, if not for the Board.

I've also never seen such a MASS of short-cutting employees, with little accountability. Go visit the headquarters in the middle of the week. People arrive late (if at all), leave early, and can duck in a corner and do nothing all day, and no one cares anymore. The CEO is a perfect example of what I mentioned. A non-present leader is a scary thing. Good luck finding Marty working on a typical Friday. So if the CEO sees LO as an easy hide-in-corner job, of course that's the rampant culture he's created. Trust me, people are seeing this and following his clear role modeling in the work ethic department. This is not how the culture used to be. It's a stark transformation that started in this current regime.

It's sad for the few superb employees who actually DO put in the time and sweat to keep things afloat (and yes, there are some AMAZING people left, just a dwindling minority). It's a stark contrast from before the CEO came, when people willingly worked 12 hour days and were excited to grow a company. I debated staying longer for the free paycheck, but I could feel my brain and work ethic rotting away.

Opportunities are abundant though. If you can be an individual who doesn't conform to the existing poor work ethic culture, and you can motivate yourself, then you can succeed because you'll be so unique from your peers. I just don't know how Marty would take notice if he doesn't have visibility to your direct contributions. I still love LO and hope for the best, and would do anything to help my former colleagues, but any new employees: beware.

Advice to Senior ManagementRoll up your sleeves, get in touch with the business, clients, and your own people.

Managers and execs: Just spend some time and whole-hardheartedly ask if LO has a culture that you're proud of. You know the answer.

The foundation of a hard-working, innovative, collaborative culture was once the identify of LO. So it's not like it never existed. It's still salvageable and the future can be bright again. I have hope that there is some value in my stock one day. Good luck and best wishes, old friends and colleagues.

Disappointing

Licensed Insurace Agent (Current Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsYou can make a little cash out of the comfort & convenience of your own home.

ConsBusiness is always slowwwww. You're only paid for each minute that you're on the phone talking to people, and then not very much. You really can't make much money doing this, and anyone who says you can is being dishonest.

Worked for LiveOps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LiveOps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LiveOps CEO Marty Beard . All 147 reviews posted anonymously by LiveOps employees.