LiveOps Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.5

Vasili Triant

Pros
  • Work from home -- no commuting or having to shop for clothes for your work attire (in 50 reviews)

• The ability to have a flexible schedule and to work remote are a huge plus when you have a family at home (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • LiveOps controls your call volume and call lines (in 12 reviews)

• You are paid by your talk time 0 (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely High Turnover

Former Employee - LiveOps Contractor  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - LiveOps Contractor in Redwood City, CA

I worked at LiveOps as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Shares a nice campus with other companies like EA - If you walk out the back of the shared office building it's nice and soothing.

Free bagels and fruits a couple times a week, free drink fridge and cheap vending machine

Most employees can work from home Fridays

Near the Caltrain and most employees steal rides for free on the EA shuttles

Cons

Amazingly high turnover rate - Over a third of the company left in the past 12-18 months. Most employees work from home Fridays because they have horrible commutes since they relocated.

Below market rate pay - They constantly use contractors and try to lowball which results in the poor quality

Human Resources - They're stuck in their old ways and you can hear them discriminate over trivial things that have nothing to do with being capable of doing the job like format of a resume or not working in the industry for a position where it doesn't matter.

CEO that's not good with people - He moved the company from Santa Clara which is surrounded by talent to Redwood City.

Bad overall morale - People are there because they don't have many other options

Do the honorable thing and resign

Great potential and product, but culture isn't keeping up

Former Employee - Director  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at LiveOps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The product is innovative and transformative. The industry is exciting. The original engineers built a phenomenal core platform that is leaps and bounds better than other supposedly "industry leaders". The tools for the agent business are the best, bar none. CEO is a good visionary and strategic mind. Pay has been substantially increased in the past few years to retain and attract people.

Despite the comments in the below "con" section, there are some amazing and talented employees at LO. When motivated, they are the best at what they do. Many employees who have been there for 5+ years still believe in the original LO dream (or maybe they're waiting for the IPO they were promised and are working tirelessly to hold that hope in place).

If you want an EASY job with little oversight, and cruise to a 20-25 hour work week, come to LiveOps. It's the best place to cash a decent check. Benefits are good. You can just do your job and have a balanced personal and family life. Overall, the people are pleasant around the office so it is very bearable. If you work on the platform side of the business, which is where the company's strategy is moving towards, you will likely be in a safe job. Not so much if you're applying for a job on the agent side.

Cons

While I commend the CEO's strategic mind and abilities, he is a negative cultural influence on the company. He has frequent layoffs, he moved his family to San Diego and opened a personal office there. He hardly comes into HQ or the other AZ office. Whether true or not, the mass perception is that he cares about his personal life instead of his employees. He doesn't want to roll up his sleeves and fix the business.

The agent business generates all the revenue and profit for the company, but that profit is spent in bad investments, decisions, and overpaid execs. Since he's not in the office, he doesn't know who else he could trust so he continues to overpay 2 "corporate eyes and ears", though everyone knows they add no productive value or function. The SVP of Eng is very capable but it's obvious his motivation is drained. The SVP of Platform is highly motivated and a workhorse, but is handicapped by the CEO.

Marty drove Maynard away with his personal interests, decrepit culture, and poor results (Maynard is the former CEO and Chairman of LO, and current Chairman of Yahoo). Approve of Maynard's contributions to LO or not, the reality is Maynard's association to LO brought immense credibility to the company. Now, that's gone. If Marty is Chairman of the Board, one has to wonder who will hold the CEO accountable, if not for the Board.

I've also never seen such a MASS of short-cutting employees, with little accountability. Go visit the headquarters in the middle of the week. People arrive late (if at all), leave early, and can duck in a corner and do nothing all day, and no one cares anymore. The CEO is a perfect example of what I mentioned. A non-present leader is a scary thing. Good luck finding Marty working on a typical Friday. So if the CEO sees LO as an easy hide-in-corner job, of course that's the rampant culture he's created. Trust me, people are seeing this and following his clear role modeling in the work ethic department. This is not how the culture used to be. It's a stark transformation that started in this current regime.

It's sad for the few superb employees who actually DO put in the time and sweat to keep things afloat (and yes, there are some AMAZING people left, just a dwindling minority). It's a stark contrast from before the CEO came, when people willingly worked 12 hour days and were excited to grow a company. I debated staying longer for the free paycheck, but I could feel my brain and work ethic rotting away.

Opportunities are abundant though. If you can be an individual who doesn't conform to the existing poor work ethic culture, and you can motivate yourself, then you can succeed because you'll be so unique from your peers. I just don't know how Marty would take notice if he doesn't have visibility to your direct contributions. I still love LO and hope for the best, and would do anything to help my former colleagues, but any new employees: beware.

Roll up your sleeves, get in touch with the business, clients, and your own people.

Managers and execs: Just spend some time and whole-hardheartedly ask if LO has a culture that you're proud of. You know the answer.

The foundation of a hard-working, innovative, collaborative culture was once the identify of LO. So it's not like it never existed. It's still salvageable and the future can be bright again. I have hope that there is some value in my stock one day. Good luck and best wishes, old friends and colleagues.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Licensed Insurace Agent  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Insurace Agent in Phila, PA

I have been working at LiveOps as a contractor

Pros

You can make a little cash out of the comfort & convenience of your own home.

Cons

Business is always slowwwww. You're only paid for each minute that you're on the phone talking to people, and then not very much. You really can't make much money doing this, and anyone who says you can is being dishonest.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointment, Frustration, Resentment all rolled into one

Current Employee - Call Center Agent
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent

I have been working at LiveOps as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Can work from home, will get paid although you will put in long hours and may not get any calls. Thankful for at least getting a little bit of income

Cons

they criticize your efforts, not much commendation for what you are able to do right even though their policies change almost daily. For example, the training sessions I underwent for being an Allstate claims rep went too quickly. They rush you into everything, the training had to be done in an unreasonable amount of time. You have to download certain things onto your computer that take up a lot of space. The training sessions are like being in a circus with the calls making it feel impossible to navigate around on Allstate's screens. You lose part of the tools you are supposed to have pulled up. There are a lot of glitches in the systems that you as a LiveOps agent get penalized for. I also did work as a PPL agent that I felt so sorry for the people that were not getting their paychecks but if you spend too much time trying to navigate around on the broken Liveops screens, you get what is called a compliance event which is punishment for being on the call too long. Very frustrating and leaves you feeling incapable. Who likes to spend hours doing something for very little pay and getting criticized for your efforts when you are only being used as guinea pigs for the company anyway? They need to get their act together in so many ways. I have decided to lay low for a while until they get things more under control. if you send a postbox which is their internal email system, you just get a vague response that really doesn't answer your question. If you question anything, it seems you will get punished by having no calls routed to you.

Be more encouraging to your agents. They are doing the best they can and they really do want to work.

Worse Work @ Home Company Now!

I worked at LiveOps

Pros

Work uncommitted, work from home

Cons

No Communication from upper management when they decide to make changes to your home base business. They terminate contracts without a warning or a reason. They have recently issued a lot of compliance events and pulled people off of their calling lines for no reason. Most of the people that were issued Compliance Events and removed from calls were agents that were with the company for many years. Great stellar agents that worked hard. LiveOps has failed to provide reasons for what has been happening for the last month. They have definitely changed for the worse. They are nitpicking on how people sound on the phone now and writing them up for no reason. They have recently hired a bunch of people to fill many of the positions of those terminated or removed from calls. I am shocked on how they are behaving and warn people this is not a stable work at home job. You can be working one day and log on the next day and find a compliance event or termination due to no fault of your own. So don't walk but RUN from this company!

I encourage all former as well as active agents to contact their local USDOL to seek action against LiveOps for their unethical practices. They are treating Independent Contractors as employees with these "at will" terminations. In fact LiveOps is breaching the agents Independent Contract by terminating them or disciplining them without a valid cause. They won their last misclassification lawsuit a few years ago. But that was then and this is now and the things that have been going on with the company now is violating state, federal and local laws. So stand up and take action and make your voice heard!

Better Communication with your agents on how they can improve their home base business. Communicate with agents instead of abruptly terminating them or preventing them from receiving calls.

Glory days are passed for the At Home Call Center (independent contractor at home agent perspective)

Current Employee - At Home Agent  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - At Home Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at LiveOps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None. The stress does not justify remaining contracted with Company

Cons

I contend that schedule roll outs are filtered favoring some agents, regardless of the agent's stats. Routing calls to the best available agent is a farce Company likes to claim, there may be technology in use that can sense when particular agents have their schedule open and when their mouse is attempting to catch a commit. The use of this technology may be used to steer agents to lines/hours the Company wants covered. This can't be proven just experienced. Seems paranoic but it's a willing risk. This company's tactics and practices when relating to its at home agents is appalling. It appears only one person is trying to keep it all together and failing terribly.

For a company that once bragged about having so much money and not knowing what to do with it, I'd suggest setting up lines of communication for the at home call center agents to communicate with management not with the baby sitters put in place trained to give canned responses. Does upper management or Marty Beard even know what is going on with the staff that oversees the at home agents. Does he know there are currently several hundred if not thousands of agents having their contracts dismissed without cause, there is mass hysteria and stress placed on the agents who don't know where to turn for answers, schedules filtered or cut off, and no one in authority is available to explain what is happening, paying less and less, constant technical issues unaddressed. Yet, precious little is communicated to the at home agents, whether it's procedural changes, technical issues, even invoice issues. What is going on? The quality of the at home arm has certainly degenerated. Perhaps someone has made a huge technical mistake with the network that cannot easily be corrected, thus the mass bogus and inflated CEs (infractions). ICs are isolated and helpless and certainly underappreciated. The at home call center arm does nothing to dispel this. Being an IC does not give license to treat the agents poorly or unethically. And compelling agents to sign a contract indemnifying the company of any kind of responsibility whatsoever exemplifies this company's disdain for ICs and subtle intimidation. There is plenty of protection for the company and none for the ICs. Stop publicly bragging, suspend hiring the unsuspecting. Communicate if At home is shuttering.

In some instances, this job is like a telemarketing job that with incoming calls.

Current Employee - Telemarketer- LiveOps Calls Us Operator Agents  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Telemarketer- LiveOps Calls Us Operator Agents in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at LiveOps full-time for less than a year

Pros

I will give an example of what working here is like. Think of all those nifty products that are sold on TV at 1 or 2 am. You call the 1-800 number and you get a LiveOps operator. You order product, and you want to hang up, that is when the magic starts, You are scripted to read and up sell to the customer at least another 5 offers before you can place the order or the customer threatens to hand up, and you are monitored on your call time you can not go over, because you are being paid a whole quarter per minute! Yes that's right a quarter per talk time only....example you work an eight hour shift, and in 8 hours you get 60 minutes total, if you are lucky of talk time you get paid a quarter x 60 = $15 for an 8 hour shift!!!! And don't forget you are supposedly self employed, so you gotta pay your own taxes. Oh and just try to make the conversation with the customer long you will get called out on that too, How this place stays in business is really beyond me. Oh yeah let's not forget the extra $1 you get if you are lucky enough to do an up sell after making the customer listen to 10 offers after they placed the order and they do it just to get off the phone.....Now I can afford that porshe I've been saving up for!

Cons

Refer to the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The pros and cons are the same there are no pros, People will say oh at least you don't have to drive to your job...that is good Because in this case if you did had to drive to LiveOps could not afford to on LiveOps quarter per minute

Management is set up the way they are because they claim that we are self employed people!
    That is why they are rude and not helpful...by law they can't help you, because if they did that jeopardize the fact that they say we are self employed. Do you guys get it now. They gotta walk that fine line or uncle sam will force them to pay by the hour and not get away with paying a quarter per minute

Unethical churning of human beings, poor treatment by Liveops

I worked at LiveOps

Pros

flexibility of hours, no more than that

Cons

terminated suddenly, no excuse given except for vague reference to a phone call. They charged me with "upselling", when their was only ONE product to be offered. They did not need a real reason to terminate, they fabricated a reason. I asked for redress or an explanation, none was given. I have worked as an agent and manager in the insurance industry for almost two decades. NEVER have I been treated so disrespectfully than by liveops....RUN, don't walk away from this company

Know this: I will spend a considerable amount of time criticizing your unethical treatment of agent contractors....You are detestable and despicable in your treatment of agents that have excellent metrics.......You haven't heard the last of me............

BIGGEST SCAMMERS ON THE PLANET

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at LiveOps part-time for less than a year

Pros

I CAN'T THINK OF ANY

Cons

They make you believe you can make money with them, so you take a huge number of exams, get insurance licenses in three states and I even added another one. I passed the oral exam and written exams and was pretty excited to go on my first call. After my first day of calling, I got a report that said I didn't meet my commitments, which was a total lie, because I was on the phone the whole time. Their report says I logged off, which I never logged off during my commitment. This happened every day for a week and I never could get anyone to help me. I finally got a nice lady that told me my modem was not the right one, so I went out and spent more money on a Static IP line to make sure Live Ops wasn't logging me off somehow, when in fact I was online. Even after I had the Static IP line installed, it was still giving me a report that said I wasn't making my commitments and my performance was bad. I even sent them copies of reports that showed them I was online the whole time, and they still wouldn't listen and told me some bs about that being the total time I was on the phone but I had logged off, which I never did. Well duh, so how can they say I'm not online, when it shows that I was online? There's nobody to talk to there, no live human, and agents can't talk to the IT person, so there's absolutely no help available. So, whatever you do, please do not get hooked into believing this company is legit because it is far from the truth. A few times I was on the phone I got no calls at all and one day I got one call and made $.85. You can sit there for hours with no calls. It's a shame that people get scammed into working for a company like this when we are all out there struggling to make a living.

You need to provide real help to your agents and have a phone number to an IT person, and a phone number for live help, that is, if you care. An agent cannot get help from anyone there. The only help I got was a danged report from the person I sent an email to, which I could look up myself. I got no help whatsoever from anyone so I had to quit so I could make a living. Plus, how could we approve of the CEO when we can't even see who that person is. Your system apparently kept logging me off and I had no idea it di, because my phone panel read "available." So how can a person know if they are logged off on your end, when my end says I'm not?

Worst Company EVER! Want to sue them? Count me in!

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at LiveOps as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, that's about it.

Cons

They will terminate your contract for false reasons and provide no proof. Even if you provide proof to the contrary they will not hear it. If anyone wants to start a lawsuit then count me in! On top of that it is super hard to get hours and if you do then you are often sitting with no call volume. In the end the time you sit waiting versus the busy times makes this a below average paying job.

Have some ethics and stop terminating good agents without proof!

Worked for LiveOps? Contribute to the Community!