LivePerson
www.liveperson.com New York, NY 500 to 999 Employees

LivePerson Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
LivePerson – New York – “New York HQ”

LivePerson Chairman and CEO Robert P. LoCascio

Robert P. LoCascio

Pros:
  • "Lots of great people and there is always lots of food"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "We were expected to work long hours, and work-life balance was not always respected"
    in 3 reviews
  • "This means high expectations and rapid growth, inevitably there are going to be many changes"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a great company, great culture, and great product

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LivePerson full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoyed the open door policies and inclusion of all levels in company decisions

ConsLack of growth opportunities available because of the location divide for SMB and Enterprise positions.

Mixed Bag

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at LivePerson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood peers / direct managers

ConsPoor senior leadership, inconsistent compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementShore up compensation/bonus policy, lead company transformation strategically

Challenging Environment, but fun place to work...

I have been working at LivePerson full-time for more than a year

ProsLivePerson has interesting new products and really offers something valuable in the marketplace.
There are good, intelligent people to work with. The CFO is a true "walk the talk" exec and is beloved by most employees.
An open and collaborative environment, with really great resources like google, nation,and gdocs.
Very startup feel for an established company which creates a chill place to work.
Most of the people seem to really care about the success of the company.
New key hires in sales is a very positive thing, expect good long term results.
Remote work options.
Some flexibility in office hours.

ConsChaotic strategies that change way too often, without any change management in place.
The CEO is very smart, but lacks basic people skills and alienates and demotivates a lot of people.
The CTO, the COO, the CPO, hmm, they don't exist...but in most tech companies they're the first hired.
Flattened structure leads to a lot of dead weight in many areas and no cohesive infrastructure to support growth for where the company should be at currently.
Little to no upward mobility unless you are one of the chosen ones by the CEO.
The people that can really impact the company the most, are often overlooked, and leave.
Recruiting and hiring strategies seem to be off the mark and favor whoever fluffs their feathers the most instead of getting key hires in the right places.
LivePerson is way too extended globally for our size and offerings, most if not all the innovations fall flat because we are so globally spread thin for where employees are based.
Development and R&D is extremely slow compared to LivePerson competition.
Customer support philosophy is from the 90s, get rid of it and reinvent the way we engage customers, and focus on the customer's actual business needs, not ours.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on faster R&D, product marketing, and allow marketing to create the story to help sales sell it.
Support the new CMO to create and nurture the brand and the story, stop trying to force what might not make sense for our customers and instead listen to what the customers need and want.
Hire a CTO, how can we be a tech company without a CTO?
Hire a COO, with the growth we are getting pummeled without change management and better processes, 15 years.....we're not a startup company anymore so let's not pretend to be.

When you purchase a company or technology, integrate them and don't just use it as an excuse to open a new office or just keep ramping up in a geography that doesn't benefit innovation. No offense, but we should have most of our core resources in one place to really make a difference, its not cheaper,its costing us in the long run.
Invest in mobile and social, we're way behind here and need to step it up to be able to sell into some accoutns.
Except in sales, stop hiring externally and recognize people internally based on their qualifications, don't just put people in "made up" roles that don't apply their skills or experience, there are a lot of highly skilled people that could be better off in a needed role, for where we are today.

Likeable culture that could be disrupted

Program Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at LivePerson full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, good benefits, strong position in a niche but important market (chat). Growing use of rich data to provide new services and products. Potentially on the brink of rapid growth if managed properly. Stronger focus on building partnerships would do a lot to move things forward.

ConsSlow-growth culture that doesn't realize the world has changed faster than it has. Based in New York and Tel Aviv, management has a parochial view and doesn't fully comprehend the SaaS world that they now claim to be part of. Old product (10+ years) is out of date and needs to be rebuilt. Despite having an office in San Francisco, very little connection with Silicon Valley, its major companies, concepts, culture or technologies. Very high turnover, the best people quickly get disillusioned and move on, leaving the B players in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with someone outside of the NY-Tel Aviv axis who can bring you up to date on what is going on in the high-tech world. Don't remain complacent about being the market leader, that could change before you know it.

The BEST US Multi-National Company

Expert (Current Employee)

I have been working at LivePerson as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to Work from a Virtual Office to provide Work Life Balance, Flexible Work Schedule & Work Hours, Performance Based Income Opportunities, Excellent Communication Platforms with Online Forums to Share Best Practices, Ideas and receive Feedback & Recognition in a timely manner...

ConsThe Cons to working from a virtual office is the limited ability to have face to face communication with LivePerson staff and fellow workers...

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis needs to be on reward and recognition for those who contribute to the success of acheiving common goals and objectives...

According to the German sociologist, Max Weber (1864-1920), bureaucracy is “the exercise of control on the basis of knowledge, expertise, or experience." Weber called bureaucracy the “iron cage” and said, “Once fully established, bureaucracy is among those social structures which are the hardest to destroy.” However, after more than a century of experience, we recognize that bureaucracy has limitations as well. In reality, bureaucratic managers emphasize punishment for non-compliance much more than reward for compliance. Ironically, bureaucratic management was created to prevent just this type of managerial behavior.

Great culture and great products

I have been working at LivePerson full-time for less than a year

ProsLIvePerson has a great culture grounded in the core values of helping others and being an owner. In particular I like the fact that LP tasks everyone with being a leader within the company. Also, LP invests in supporting a remote work force, enabling them to have such a great culture across many locations.

ConsLivePerson could benefit from a little more organization of it's infrastructure than what's it's currently using.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing forward to the next step for the company. And continue making all employees a major part of that step.

Great on paper, mediocre in reality

I have been working at LivePerson full-time

Pros- There are some really intelligent, hard working people.
- Overall, everyday colleagues are great people
- Opportunities to change roles or locations
- Working remotely is widely accepted
- Large portion of benefits are paid. stock options

Cons- Salaries are on the low side unless you are upper management.
- Not a lot of advancement opportunity unless you can make up a completely fictional role.
- Do not nurture the employee culture they pretend to care about.
- Upper management very disconnected from rest of company
- CEO acts like it is a start up company that can react instantly to his constantly changing direction. Saw a comment saying he is "like a child that wants a new toy every year". Seems true.
- Teams full of "directors" and "Head of's..". Plenty of people to tell you what to do, not enough who actually "DO"
- "Opportunity to work with a lot of different teams" really means that when you're working on a larger project there will be 18 different people with opinions and agendas trying to make 1 single decision, and ultimately either nothing or the wrong decision will be made. Work on a project can be completely derailed by someone you didn't even know was involved.
- Very poor HR group. Most issues or projects with them will develop at a snails pace or just fade away completely. No development of employee culture. No group outings, ticket discounts, or other social activites.
- Total organizational nightmare. The core value of "Be an owner" allows everyone to go wild making decisions and take action as they see fit while also creating incredible redundancy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some action to make all the "Our Culture" talk a reality. Stop favoring Israel because it's "exotic" and cheaper than the US. A huge hiring rush in the last year or 2 to try and make the company look bigger and better has brought in a lot of pointless roles and dead weight. The infrastructure was not ready for the surge.
Need more repercussions for bad performance or lack of productivity. Hire established and experience ADULTS instead of under qualified, cheap kids under the guise of "innovation and youthful".

Interesting products and a leader in its field, lackluster time as an employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LivePerson

ProsLivePerson is a company that is leading its peers in its field - they have great products and smart people.

ConsRecognition and advancement opportunities are on the weak side.

LivePerson is a breath of fresh air in a thankless world.

Tech Support (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LivePerson

ProsThe company has a very forward minded mentality, and they do believe that personal attention is worth much more then professionalism.

ConsFrom a support point of view the hours can be long.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep true to the culture.

LivePerson allows for flexibility, work.life balance while promoting an aggressive sales environment.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at LivePerson

ProsFlexibility, respect, team work, good people.

ConsGlobal Organization requires time delays in gathering information at times.

Worked for LivePerson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LivePerson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LivePerson CEO Robert P. LoCascio. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by LivePerson employees.