LivePerson

Updated February 27, 2015
4.0

LivePerson Chairman and CEO Robert P. LoCascio
Robert P. LoCascio

Pros
  • Lots of great people and there is always lots of food (in 14 reviews)

• A true sense of ownership in what you do, and the people you collaborate with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • With a startup like atmosphere running on an agile development jet engine, the workload may impact your work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Constant strategic shift - lots of employee attrition due to frustration over lack of focus (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

great company, lot of energy, entrepreneurial culture.

I have been working at LivePerson

Pros

energetic, entrepreneurial environment. collaborative culture of people working together. while silos do exist given the global spread of the company, folks really engage to build what's called "meaningful connections." truly global company, which is quite impressive, given the size of company and # of employees. strong presence in europe and also building solid footing in asia, particularly australia and japan.

Cons

given how things are globally spread, you really need to manage your time effectively. the product and engineering team are based in israel. hence, if you're based in us, you'll need to schedule early morning calls. hence sometimes days can get bit long.

A corporation with a start up mindset

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture and able to move to different teams

Cons

No true growth opportunities, mostly lateral.

A former IC with LivePerson

Former Employee - Independent Contractor
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor

I worked at LivePerson

Pros

First off--I was an IC with LP rather than a regular employee. (Glass door requires I submit a review of some place I have worked, but as a self employed person, that's tough-this is as close as I could come.)

Hours were very flexible, and I did get paid. Overall a good experience.

Cons

Percentage taken from ICs is a bit higher than other companies I have contracted for. Software connection was usually good, but getting support not so much.

Don't penalize ICs by suspending them when the software has a glitch. Bi-weekly pay, rather than once a month would also go a long way to IC satisfaction.

Emperor's New Clothes - Don't go there

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at LivePerson

Pros

- Leader in the industry
    - Adoption of this chat/C2C Customer Engagement technology is widely accepted where as 5 years ago some were still skeptical in Fortune 500 organizations
    - Culture is hip and fun but sometimes bordering on ridiculous and maniacal

Cons

- The market space is saturated
    - LivePerson is on the right side of the bell curve in terms of new growth
    - In an effort to push the new growth, they came up with new products they've been trying to get working and sold for 3-4 years yet they don't really work that well. Every new hire who gets sold the LP religion is completely brainwashed that selling the new modules will solve world hunger, but they don't realize the veterans have been trying to sell them for 3 years prior and they don't work.
    - The emphasis on company culture is so intense that I think the CEO and corporate people are completely disconnected from the day to day realities of what the front line field people are doing and what the customers really need.
    - Anyone who works at corporate is connected to the whole corporate hoopla and they all seem deliriously happy and psyched up but if they were in the field listening to customer they'd feel differently.
    - The CEO should have stepped out his role years ago and simply remain a visionary while someone really competent who knows how to run a company knows what they are doing.
    - The customers are not that satisfied with larger deployments and it was harder to sell against the commoditized industry at top dollar prices.

Get a new CEO. Playtime is over.

Once upon a time this was a great company...

I worked at LivePerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning experience for people new to the workforce.
    Allows employees to work Remote
    Great PTO and Benefits

Cons

High turnover in Sales.
    Doesn't live by culture the company claims to have.
    Product is outdated, lost its competitive edge.

Company Tries Hard, But

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of Independence
    OTE is good for Field Sales, but base salary is below average

Cons

High Customer Turnover as Largest Existing Customers are Moving to Competition
    Field Sales has had very Turnover every year for past 5 years.
    Very low percentage or REPs make Quota
    Crisis Management with Existing Accounts takes away from Selling.
    No Marketing Support, as CMO and Marketing Teams have turned 100%
    Very hard to Get Technical Support and Direction given new Platform Direction and Delays

Global Leadership Role

Current Employee - Global Leadership Role (Sales/Marketing/Operations) in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Excellent support from your upstream management
    - Company culture is amazing
    - Many large global customers
    - Excellent vision on the future of the company (disruptive in the marketplace, game changing, continuation of market leadership position)
    - The opportunity to earn what they tell you
    - Open/honest management team
    - Team bonding
    - Family culture
    - Bright future
    - Plenty of room for advancement

Cons

- Need to create roles in marketing other technology companies have
    - Rely's too much on being a cloud company (its ok to have some it infrastructure)
    - Occasional redundancies of efforts
    - Too many resources on small business/low revenue part of the business

- Keep it up as its working and I move being a part of this company
    - 2b in revenue is realistic and can be reached within 5 years
    - Focus more on landing more bigger logo's (no one ever lost their job choosing LivePerson ��)

Great company, exciting times...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liveperson went through a major reorg of the Salesforce mid 2014 and ever since has been getting stronger results and closing bigger contracts. Plenty of opportunity to make good money if your in sales.

Strong sales leadership.

Cons

Long hours and much international travel due to the global nature of some of the contracts. The CEO should retire or step back.

Keep it up!

Have enjoyed every year at this company

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for LivePerson for seven years. That's almost unheard of in the Internet technology space, but I'm definitely not alone in my tenure with LivePerson. I have fond memories of working for Silicon Valley companies during the height of the dot com boom, and didn't think I would find another company to match it. I was wrong: the quality of the people at LivePerson along with its culture have made working here a blast.

To begin, the product works and has a proven value to our customers. During the recession of 2008-2009 we experienced good growth because of the value our solution drove. That's a very power tool for sales. The people here are very bright: I realized when I walked in the door that I would have to be on my "A" game to keep up; that's a challenge that I hadn't felt in a while.

In 2010 we made a massive effort to redefine our culture. The result has been a company that is more fun to work for, that can still focus on results. It is a great place to be, that provides genuine exposure to blue-chip customers. This isn't a start up: this is an opportunity to affect the way that Fortune 100 companies interact with their customers.

Cons

It is impossible to work for a company for this amount of time and not see some ups and downs. Friends whom I greatly admire have come and gone. Hard decisions have been made. As we celebrate the launch of our new platform, we have a lot of work ahead of us to facilitate its adoption. There will be growing pains, and not every day will be full of rainbows and unicorns.

We have offices in several countries and many remote employees; scheduling meetings or receiving timely responses can be a challenge. Our work requires a lot of personal initiative and self-motivation. Our customers can be very demanding (whose aren't?), which can negatively impact your work-life balance if you're not careful with your scheduling and with the expectations you set.

In the past, compensation was in the mid-to-low range. I have seen an effort by the company to improve its pay and benefits. It is also worth noting that not everything comes down to money: I have friends who have made more elsewhere and hated their jobs every day. There is something to be said for enjoying your occupation.

A greater degree of transparency into the decision-making process would be beneficial for morale. We have many people who feel personal ownership for the success of the company with our customers, but feel disconnected from the decisions which guide our product and corporate strategy.

I LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - Strategic Service Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategic Service Director in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dynamic product, super smart employees, fluid culture, industry leader, fantastic benefits, strategically focused leadership, and tons of opportunities to be a part of growth

Cons

We work hard - we are lean - high engagement requires focus. no goofing off here. but the rewards are amazing. Management respects work life balance, and respects that we work so hard. work hard. play hard.