LivePerson

Updated November 26, 2014
4.1

LivePerson Chairman and CEO Robert P. LoCascio
Robert P. LoCascio

Pros
  • Lots of great people and there is always lots of food (in 14 reviews)

• A true sense of ownership in what you do, and the people you collaborate with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • With a startup like atmosphere running on an agile development jet engine, the workload may impact your work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Constant strategic shift - lots of employee attrition due to frustration over lack of focus (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, exciting times...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liveperson went through a major reorg of the Salesforce mid 2014 and ever since has been getting stronger results and closing bigger contracts. Plenty of opportunity to make good money if your in sales.

Strong sales leadership.

Cons

Long hours and much international travel due to the global nature of some of the contracts. The CEO should retire or step back.

Keep it up!

I LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - Strategic Service Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategic Service Director in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dynamic product, super smart employees, fluid culture, industry leader, fantastic benefits, strategically focused leadership, and tons of opportunities to be a part of growth

Cons

We work hard - we are lean - high engagement requires focus. no goofing off here. but the rewards are amazing. Management respects work life balance, and respects that we work so hard. work hard. play hard.

High Reward Career and Culture Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. The Culture - The people you work with are extremely smart and fun to work with.

2. The Work - It's challenging and mentally rewarding.

3. Benefits/comp/time-off are all more than reasonable.

Cons

It can be challenging if you are used to having someone tell you what to do. You have to be able to do things on your own, reach out to people and learn from each other.

Unbelievable experience gaining and growth potential

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*The company embraces innovation and out of the box thinking. If you have an idea for a new product, process, partnership - you have a space to bring up your idea and try to make it happen. It's not easy at all, and just saying "let's do X and Y" isn't going to get you anywhere, but it is definitely possible.

*You get a lot of responsibility. In almost any position, a lot of responsibility is going to be put on you as an employee, for good and bad. If you are looking for a place where you can just stay under everyone's radar, come in at 8 and leave at 5 without talking to anyone - this isn't the right place for you. If you don't do what you are supposed to do - it will be noticed because in almost any role, you will be responsible for something meaningful that has an effect over the whole team that you'll be part of.
    Employees in LivePerson work hard, and it pays off very well with internal promotions, overall recognition, or building your job experience in your resume file.

*Not micro-management. Team leaders and other employees have no time to do micro management and check on everyone all the time. This is not part of our culture, and honestly, we are too busy to do that. This will give you the flexibility to do things in the way that you want, without reporting to your manager on a daily basis.

*Great people and working conditions - LivePerson really tries to hire the best people around, helpful, nice, cheerful, outgoing, young-in-spirit. It *seriously does* feel like a second home to many people

Cons

*Lot's of pressure.
    All the above "pros" that I wrote can very easily turn into "cons".
    Innovation, responsibility, and working independently is very stressful, and makes it very difficult to keep a good work-home balance.

*Lots of changes.
    The company is extremely dynamic and things change all the time - new products, new processes, new partnerships, and the lack of focus can be very tiring because it requires you to re-adapt every few months

*Compensation needs to be higher due to higher skills that employees need to demonstrate, and many responsibilities that our employees need to take on themselves.

*Leadership needs to be more transparent with the employees and know how to admit mistakes when they are done.

*Leadership needs to be stable and not change frequently.

Have enjoyed every year at this company

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for LivePerson for seven years. That's almost unheard of in the Internet technology space, but I'm definitely not alone in my tenure with LivePerson. I have fond memories of working for Silicon Valley companies during the height of the dot com boom, and didn't think I would find another company to match it. I was wrong: the quality of the people at LivePerson along with its culture have made working here a blast.

To begin, the product works and has a proven value to our customers. During the recession of 2008-2009 we experienced good growth because of the value our solution drove. That's a very power tool for sales. The people here are very bright: I realized when I walked in the door that I would have to be on my "A" game to keep up; that's a challenge that I hadn't felt in a while.

In 2010 we made a massive effort to redefine our culture. The result has been a company that is more fun to work for, that can still focus on results. It is a great place to be, that provides genuine exposure to blue-chip customers. This isn't a start up: this is an opportunity to affect the way that Fortune 100 companies interact with their customers.

Cons

It is impossible to work for a company for this amount of time and not see some ups and downs. Friends whom I greatly admire have come and gone. Hard decisions have been made. As we celebrate the launch of our new platform, we have a lot of work ahead of us to facilitate its adoption. There will be growing pains, and not every day will be full of rainbows and unicorns.

We have offices in several countries and many remote employees; scheduling meetings or receiving timely responses can be a challenge. Our work requires a lot of personal initiative and self-motivation. Our customers can be very demanding (whose aren't?), which can negatively impact your work-life balance if you're not careful with your scheduling and with the expectations you set.

In the past, compensation was in the mid-to-low range. I have seen an effort by the company to improve its pay and benefits. It is also worth noting that not everything comes down to money: I have friends who have made more elsewhere and hated their jobs every day. There is something to be said for enjoying your occupation.

A greater degree of transparency into the decision-making process would be beneficial for morale. We have many people who feel personal ownership for the success of the company with our customers, but feel disconnected from the decisions which guide our product and corporate strategy.

Collaborative and fun company!

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers see value in their people. They value the opinions of the team, and encourage people to be vocal. There is a new HR team that is making a lot of great changes to the recruiting process, internal mobility & learning and development programs, recognition programs, and employee branding. It is an exciting time to be working at LivePerson!

Cons

At times it can be difficult to get one on one time with your manager.

Take more time to have 1:1 meetings with your direct reports. It makes them feel valued and allows them to ask questions that may make their output more valuable.

A breath of fresh air and a company that makes me happy to come into work each day

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a very positive office environment. It is taken very seriously when someone is unpleasant or rude even if they are acting that way towards someone several levels below them. The company provides a fun, cool, office environment with tons of free food and perks such as free lunch on Fridays. Everyone's skills and opinion count and there are opportunities to impact the company in any way you see fit whether it is through organizing events, volunteer opportunities or implementing org changes. All together, I absolutely love working here and choose to come into the office everyday even with the flexible option to work from home. I also look forward to staying for a while because there seem to be some great growth opportunities and my manager seems eager to help me explore more than just our area of the company.

Cons

It is a growing company and so things can get a little hectic but that is part of what I enjoy, the challenge of helping to grow and scale my company. New hires don't get a massive induction experience like they apparently used to. While it is a place where it is easy to find your way and start to feel at home, a more formalized orientation could be helpful.

Good learning experiences

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly evolving and adaptive company. Surrounded by lot's of smart people. Internal community top of the line. Good quarterly communication by upper management. Great health benefits and stock options.

Cons

Salary isn't the greatest compared to similar roles in the area. Lot's of career opportunities but difficult to move up the ladder. Have seen a lot of personnel changes and high turnover rate. Can be political in both recruitment and business decisions.

LivePerson is all about it's people!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (more than an year)

Pros

LivePerson challenges you to be a leader and an owner! Your future is yours to develop and you are encouraged to do so

Cons

There are some inconsistencies between processes within certain departments. In addition, the marketing organization needs to produce more documentation to help those internally and externally.

Continue to focus on employee empowerment. Empowered emotes are happy and productive. Leverage their strengths accordingly.

I love coming into work every day

I have been working at LivePerson full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Open environment, people are friendly, great to be around.
    My Leader is such a great person to work for, he is genuinely interested in my career aspirations and development.

Cons

Various locations across the US and people working remotely, makes it tough to get people together/ engage everyone.