LiveRail

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Trefgarne

Solid business model, personality quirks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBusiness continues to grow. The Dev/Tech team remains solid and the product is reliable. Operations leadership is solid.

ConsExecutive leadership has been wishy washy and sets tone of company. Lack of culture, excitement for the work. Shifting business model from tech to ad revenue focus resulted in change of roles, cultural shift.

Exciting industry but lackluster company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat space to be in. Some fun people to work with.

ConsLots of turnover for a small startup. Culture was very stifling compared to other startups. There also felt like a lack of focus in terms of where the company was headed. Instead of a feeling of trust, many had high anxiety about constantly losing clients which led to a unhealthy work environment.

A really well run startup company!

ProsIt's awesome that I get to work with so many people who WANT to help the customer.
    Great work/life balance.
    So many resources to help solve a problem, not to mention the PMs are awesome! They actually are working to make the product shine!
    The customers are thankful.

ConsI can't really think of any at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep calm and carry on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fast paced start-up making big moves

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosthe leadership team cares about doing big things, and everyone that works at LiveRail sees the big picture. The company has seen massive growth with both new business and as a team. Over the past 6-8 months they have brought on more industry veterans and have established a clear vision of how to own the online video advertising space.

Conssome of the typical downsides of a working at a start up means wearing many hats. This can also be viewed as a positive aspect if you're a person that likes to be challenged and not do the same mindless task everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd encourage management to seek more process as they scale. This means to continue investing in the right systems and people.

A fast-growing company

Engineering (Current Employee) Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

Pros- solid business
    - fast-growing company
    - ok salaries
    - friendly atmosphere, cosy working environment

Cons- focus is more on sales than technology
    - at the moment (June 2014) there is an urgent need to revise company procedures and project management bottlenecks since the company doubled its employees in the past year
    - few career growing opportunities for the moment

Advice to Senior Management- Management should be more focused on keeping its existent employees rather than rushing out on the market for new ones in order to grow the teams

Fun and work under the same roof.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

ProsLike a big family, without fighting.
    Very nice place, a lot of team activities, good salary.

ConsI can not find any.

Great tech start-up in the online video advertising space!

ProsLiveRail is an environment that challenges you to be your best - - where you're encouraged to take ownership, wear many hats and be resourceful. With that comes reward in both career growth and compensation. It's a small company environment where you can make your contribution and be recognized for them.

Culture and values are created by the employees vs. top down. We have a diverse, energetic, fun & passionate group of people that have a true interest in our technology and the video space. They are here because they see the potential of where it can go and they want to be a part of it. (They enjoy the happy hours, potlucks and employee events too!)

Although it's a young and hard-working start-up, work/life balance exists. We have a generous amount of PTO (30 days) that employees are encouraged to use.

Learning and knowledge-sharing is abundant. We have a lot of very smart people here. Some of them like to teach, others like to learn, so it works out well for everyone.

ConsIt's a start-up, where processes and procedures don't exist in some areas. This can make it challenging for someone coming from a large company that is buttoned-up and established in their ways.

We experience the standard growing pains and trial and error for this stage of the company's growth. You have to come prepared to help build the company, share best practices and accept constant changes. Flexibility is critical.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication about direction of the company - - where we're at and reiterating where we want to be. The quality of what's communicated to the company is more important than the quantity.

Fast paced, but fun and chasing a huge opportunity

ProsLiveRail is a great place to work for people who want a fast paced, challenging environment. The company is growing really fast and bringing on some big name customers. Its also far bigger (in terms of things like volume/customers than I think most people realize). I've been here over a year now and have seen the company develop a lot in that time... the team is growing (lots of new hires recently) and there's a great atmosphere of people pulling together to build something great.

- Friendly, collaborative atmosphere
    - lots of really smart people
    - Fast growing company (revenues up almost 3x last year)
    - exciting market (video ads are blowing up!)
    - Really solid, strong product/technology
    - Opportunities for career growth (they promote internally often)
    - Downtown SF location

The product is really solid too - we consistently get feedback from customers that our technology is the best in the market. Working in the client services team can be tough, but knowing that there are lots of smart passionate people around to help whenever you get stuck is really helpful.

The company is also getting better and better in terms of adding process and becoming a bit more structured and its grown up a lot in the last year, so I think some of these reviews reflect a company that LiveRail used to be, rather than who LiveRail is today.

Cons- lots of work
    - can feel a little hectic

Advice to Senior ManagementMore free food please!

Not recommended to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe engineering team is very sharp and on top of it. Video advertising technology is a new and fast paced field.

ConsManagement is very unprofessional and seems inexperienced. There is a lack of company culture. The HR department could use much improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better and focus on company culture.

Inexperienced Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVideo advertising is a fast moving space. The LiveRail team fix bugs quickly, and are known for good engineering.

ConsManagement is inexperienced in team building, and could really use help in building a better working environment.

High turnover of staff.

Very little opportunity for self-improvement or learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building a better working environment.

Worked for LiveRail? Contribute to the Community!