LiveRail Reviews

3.2
Mark Trefgarne

1. Solid business model, personality quirks

I worked at LiveRail full-time

Pros

Business continues to grow. The Dev/Tech team remains solid and the product is reliable. Operations leadership is solid.

Cons

Executive leadership has been wishy washy and sets tone of company. Lack of culture, excitement for the work. Shifting business model from tech to ad revenue focus resulted in change of roles, cultural shift.

2. Excellent people, mostly great management, sometimes lack of clear direction

I have been working at LiveRail full-time

Pros

Smart people San Francisco Helpful people Fascinating technology Innovative

Cons

Hard to get ahead Expectations for clients not always set correctly Sometimes felt like just chasing the money

Advice to Management

We need leaders, not managers.

3. Exciting industry but lackluster company

I worked at LiveRail

Pros

Great space to be in. Some fun people to work with.

Cons

Lots of turnover for a small startup. Culture was very stifling compared to other startups. There also felt like a lack of focus in terms of where the company was headed. Instead of a feeling of trust, many had high anxiety about constantly losing clients which led to a unhealthy work environment.

5. A really well run startup company!

I have been working at LiveRail

Pros

It's awesome that I get to work with so many people who WANT to help the customer. Great work/life balance. So many resources to help solve a problem, not to mention the PMs are awesome! They actually are working to make the product shine! The customers are thankful.

Cons

I can't really think of any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep calm and carry on.

fast paced start-up making big moves

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LiveRail

Pros

the leadership team cares about doing big things, and everyone that works at LiveRail sees the big picture. The company has seen massive growth with both new business and as a team. Over the past 6-8 months they have brought on more industry veterans and have established a clear vision of how to own the online video advertising space.

Cons

some of the typical downsides of a working at a start up means wearing many hats. This can also be viewed as a positive aspect if you're a person that likes to be challenged and not do the same mindless task everyday.

Advice to Management

I'd encourage management to seek more process as they scale. This means to continue investing in the right systems and people.

7. A fast-growing company

Current Employee - Engineering in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Engineering in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at LiveRail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- solid business - fast-growing company - ok salaries - friendly atmosphere, cosy working environment

Cons

- focus is more on sales than technology - at the moment (June 2014) there is an urgent need to revise company procedures and project management bottlenecks since the company doubled its employees in the past year - few career growing opportunities for the moment

Advice to Management

- Management should be more focused on keeping its existent employees rather than rushing out on the market for new ones in order to grow the teams

8. Fun and work under the same roof.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at LiveRail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like a big family, without fighting. Very nice place, a lot of team activities, good salary.

Cons

I can not find any.

Fast paced, but fun and chasing a huge opportunity

I have been working at LiveRail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LiveRail is a great place to work for people who want a fast paced, challenging environment. The company is growing really fast and bringing on some big name customers. Its also far bigger (in terms of things like volume/customers than I think most people realize). I've been here over a year now and have seen the company develop a lot in that time... the team is growing (lots of new hires recently) and there's a great atmosphere of people pulling together to build something great. - Friendly, collaborative atmosphere - lots of really smart people - Fast growing company (revenues up almost 3x last year) - exciting market (video ads are blowing up!) - Really solid, strong product/technology - Opportunities for career growth (they promote internally often) - Downtown SF location The product is really solid too - we consistently get feedback from customers that our technology is the best in the market. Working in the client services team can be tough, but knowing that there are lots of smart passionate people around to help whenever you get stuck is really helpful. The company is also getting better and better in terms of adding process and becoming a bit more structured and its grown up a lot in the last year, so I think some of these reviews reflect a company that LiveRail used to be, rather than who LiveRail is today.

Cons

- lots of work - can feel a little hectic

Advice to Management

More free food please!

Great tech start-up in the online video advertising space!

I have been working at LiveRail

Pros

LiveRail is an environment that challenges you to be your best - - where you're encouraged to take ownership, wear many hats and be resourceful. With that comes reward in both career growth and compensation. It's a small company environment where you can make your contribution and be recognized for them. Culture and values are created by the employees vs. top down. We have a diverse, energetic, fun & passionate group of people that have a true interest in our technology and the video space. They are here because they see the potential of where it can go and they want to be a part of it. (They enjoy the happy hours, potlucks and employee events too!) Although it's a young and hard-working start-up, work/life balance exists. We have a generous amount of PTO (30 days) that employees are encouraged to use. Learning and knowledge-sharing is abundant. We have a lot of very smart people here. Some of them like to teach, others like to learn, so it works out well for everyone.

Cons

It's a start-up, where processes and procedures don't exist in some areas. This can make it challenging for someone coming from a large company that is buttoned-up and established in their ways. We experience the standard growing pains and trial and error for this stage of the company's growth. You have to come prepared to help build the company, share best practices and accept constant changes. Flexibility is critical.

Advice to Management

Better communication about direction of the company - - where we're at and reiterating where we want to be. The quality of what's communicated to the company is more important than the quantity.

11. Not recommended to work at

I worked at LiveRail

Pros

The engineering team is very sharp and on top of it. Video advertising technology is a new and fast paced field.

Cons

Management is very unprofessional and seems inexperienced. There is a lack of company culture. The HR department could use much improvement.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and focus on company culture.

RSS Feed </> Embed