LiveRamp

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
4.3

Auren Hoffman

Interesting, fast-paced work with great coworkers!

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Colleagues are consistently competent and dedicated
    - Throughout the company culture, there is a strong focus on adding value and getting things done
    - Largely free of bureaucracy and make-work processes, so you always feel like what you are working on makes sense and contributes to the company
    - The (relatively) small size means that new employees get to take on extra responsibilities that might not be available at larger companies with greater employee specialization
    - No politics: different teams tend to work together well for the good of the company
    - Hackweek!

Cons

- The recent acquisition by Acxiom poses challenges for maintaining the current culture. So far, management seems to be doing a good job on this front.

Continue making sure that LiveRamp stays fast-paced and results-oriented.

Great place to work with excellent potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Team members are empowered to do what needs to be done and given the support to achieve high goals.
    - Strong potential for growth
    - Supportive culture and friendly employees

Cons

- A lot of employees got their start at LiveRamp so there is a lack of experienced leadership who can help provide guidance across all teams. That is changing as we grow.
    - Acquisition by Acxiom has left some questions about long term direction but so far things seem really good

A Great Team Working To Solve Interesting Problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time

Pros

- Awesome, competent co-workers who quickly became my good friends
    - As an engineer, opportunities to very quickly contribute and take ownership of important projects
    - A mentoring-focused culture: it's very easy to learn from coworkers and quickly gain new skills and expertise
    - Interesting problems to solve: LiveRamp is dealing with some really massive data and trying to do a ton of interesting things with it.
    - Acxiom acquisition has had a minimal impact on LiveRamp's culture. We now have many benefits of being part of a large company, without many of the hang-ups.

Cons

- For the data scientist: LiveRamps problems are more practical than theoretical. We do some machine learning, but not as much as a recruiter might lead you to believe.
    - Work/life balance is something you have to make for yourself. No one is going to stop you from finding that balance, but no one is going to proactively help you either
    - The speed at which the engineering team has been asked to develop new features has made the company competitive, but also created a complex code base with lots of debt.

Dealing with issues once they've become critical is 1000x more stressful and difficult then dealing with them proactively. The current focus on reliability is great - let's make sure we don't forget the lessons we learned too quickly.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LiveRamp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at LiveRamp for around three years, and it was a fantastic place to be an engineer. The engineering team is top notch - there's no shortage of incredibly smart people to learn from and collaborate with. The culture is excellent, and I remain close friends with a lot of LiveRampers even though I haven't worked there in over a year.

Cons

LiveRamp was acquired by Acxiom, which could be a con for some people.

Hard Work, High Reward

Current Employee - Product Manager/Customer Implementation in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager/Customer Implementation in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

+ People
    ++ Everyone is fun, welcoming, and loves the company. Overall a younger crowd is predominate.

+ Culture
    ++ It's a work hard, play hard environment that prioritizes employee satisfaction. Maintains strong "start up" vibe that makes the work day fun and exciting.

+ Upper Management
    ++ Employee's are THE resource at LiveRamp, and upper management emphasizes this with a focus on personal and professional development.

+Day to Day
    ++ The work is challenging enough to require mental stimulation, yet not so much that you are pulling hairs out at the end of the day

Cons

- Time
    -- If you are looking for somewhere that is simply a 9-5, then LiveRamp is not the place. You have to be willing to put in the extra effort and time when the job calls for it

- Cost of Living
    -- San Francisco is a wonderful place in a lot of ways, but it is one of the most expensive places to live in the entire country. LiveRamp is located downtown in the heart of SF, so you don't have much flexibility here.

Acquisition's can change a lot of things, and LiveRamp's culture is one of its strongest assets. My advice is to work hard to make sure that LiveRamp maintains its culture.

Great culture, great people!

I worked at LiveRamp as an intern

Pros

- Tech is cool
    - People are super friendly
    - Great culture
    - Office in downtown SF with lots of perks and animations

Cons

- Uncertainty about how the company will evolve in the future now that is has been acquired

- Management should inform employees how they see the company in two-years, as some people fear that some of the management / senior employees may leave the company some day to start new start ups, now that Liveramp has been acquired

Disappointing engineers & product people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone in LiveRamp just got a boost in earnings by being bought by Acxiom for over 300M.

Cons

Run like a small company -- with incredibly weak engineering and software development practices. There are many manual processes to process files for clients. Product & engineering leadership in LiveRamp don't really seem to know how to build / run large scalable engineering systems. Even very green product managers are promoted to fancy titles (VPs, SVP, Directors, ...).

CEO is super cocky -- and talks about taking over the "ad ecosystem" all the time. Not seeing how this is going to happen based on client growth rate.

Tone down the arrogance. LiveRamp was lucky (super-lucky) in cashing out before people realize that this is not a "growth" startup -- at least not yet.

LiveRamp Response

Nov 4, 2014Chief of Staff

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way! It is a core value of ours to promote an open culture where feedback is shared both up and down the organization. I hope you would feel comfortable providing ... More

Best company that I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a lot of fun to work here with extremely motivated and intelligent people. Very selective hiring makes sure that people are a good fit for the company and are passionate team players. Everyone is given a lot of responsibility which makes work challenging and exciting. I have worked for a few companies before joining LiveRamp and have to say this is the first place where I have actually enjoyed tremendous personal and professional growth in less than half a year - thanks to excellent colleagues and challenging work. Even after the recent acquisition not much has changed when it comes to work style and culture as the company remains largely independent. We're still growing fast and most people are very excited about new growth opportunities that come along with the acquisition.

Cons

The company gives you a lot of flexibility and autonomy in your work style, but you have to make sure to find your own work/life balance which can be challenging at times. If you care about working on consumer-facing products this might not be right place for you - you have to be able to derive your motivation from the (sometimes) more abstract business value we create for our customers and the larger consumer impact the company has on marketing.

Management is doing a great job in general but we're approaching a size where it might be helpful to add a little more structure where necessary.

Having a great time and learning a lot!

I have been working at LiveRamp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with a lot of smart people
    Free to discuss with anyone what they're working on and learning how a small company works
    Get a lot of freedom for when you want to work (though long hours are expected, most people choose to do it)
    Cool technology that deals with the core of AdTech

Cons

Not as mature of a company, so might not have the same on-boarding process as a larger company

Good job!
    Could think about management a little better. The current model is to "grow leaders," which is great, but the best engineers and salespeople might not be the best managers.

Software Development Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern

I have been working at LiveRamp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good work culture and environment. they give good pay but do not give offer to much people. Also they ask the same question in interview

LiveRamp Photos