LiveText Reviews

Outdated and indecisive

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Grange, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in La Grange, IL

I worked at LiveText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was able to work mostly telecommute so I didn't have to be in a cubicle farm every day. The code base, written in Perl, wasn't bad.

Cons

The biggest problem I had with LiveText was nobody seemed to be the final word on a decision that needed to be made.

Highest potential, but worst professional experience of my life.

I worked at LiveText full-time

Pros

Higher Ed is a great industry to learn and work in. The core technology is probably the best in the industry. The company and product have tremendous potential to grow and a solid, but vulnerable user base.

Cons

Management is a disaster. It pains me to say this because the CEO/Founder is a successful business person who really means well. However, he has chosen to surround himself with narrow-minded, short-sighted, passive/aggressive albatrosses. The lack of professionalism, tact and basic team-building/management skills are stunning. Read the previous reviews. They are spot on. As long as this team is in place, there is no hope for growth. None. Zero. The smart move would be to sell out so that at least the core tech and client base can be salvaged before it all disappears. It's surprising that competitors have not seized upon LiveText's inability to grow. They might be even more clueless. Anyone thinking about joining this company in any capacity should seriously reconsider.

Sell now while you can. There's not chance for a management upgrade, so there's not hope for growth. Take the money and run before it's too late.

Great people to work with but not so great management.

Current Employee - Anonymous in La Grange, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in La Grange, IL

I have been working at LiveText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere where employees can wear jeans; fun and helpful employees for the most part; potentially good product. Good location.

Cons

TWhile some new developments seemed to be promising, ultimately little will change since the same people make the final decision. Inconsistent structure; changes are abruptly made and are poorly communicated (if at all). Little room for advancement even if you wanted. Management can be flat out deceptive. Hard work is decidely NOT rewarded.

Change your whole mindset.

Growing Company Makes Difference in Higher Education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL

I have been working at LiveText full-time

Pros

Initiative is welcome, employees are passionate and there is real a sense of teamwork, company is growing, mission to improve learning at all levels within our higher ed system is strong

Cons

The work can be demanding or the hours long and you may face challenges each day but if you are resourceful and clever enough to come up with your own solutions, you will feel accomplished

Horrible management and consistantly failed to meet customer needs.

Former Employee - Marketing in La Grange, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in La Grange, IL

I worked at LiveText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very low expectations from management.

Cons

Very low expectations from management.

The owner should not be involved in daily operations; he's insain.

Thank heaven I left this company.

I worked at LiveText full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Assessment is a growing industry.

Cons

Unfortunately, the management of this company is in a strangle-hold by one person who micromanages, dislikes divergent opinions and can be demeaning at times.

Stunningly Impulsive and Unprofessional

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at LiveText full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty good tech platform for managing higher education assessment data.

Cons

Leadership caste has a habit of obsessing over the trivial and dithering over everything else. Sales management seems to delight in piling administrative and personal servant duties on the staff. Onerous reporting duties, ongoing (and never-ending) product training, unnecessary travel to corporate for MONTHLY sales meetings and "just to work out of the office for a few days, just 'cuz" are a continual productivity drain. Commissions paid out ANNUALLY in April for the previous calendar year (as if anyone hangs out that long).

Worst of all, though, is putting together a weekly reporting "suite" that must include a "reflection" piece. It's apparent primary purpose is to serve as a basis for criticizing and ridiculing the sales staff. Additional demands are delivered by hostile e-mails on a more or less daily basis. Not only the worst and most unprofessional workplace I've experienced, but also the worst I've ever HEARD of in 20 years of business.

Read a book about management, leadership, sales, Six Sigma, TQM, or something useful.

I feel sorry for myself and my co-workers just about every day.

I have been working at LiveText

Pros

Many of the people who work here at the staff level are dedicated and very capable.

Cons

Unfortunately, the individuals here who are in management do a very poor job. I have observed defensiveness, lying and overall poor decision making. The most upsetting aspects of working here are the belittling comments I've heard the office manager say about co-workers and the outright yelling that occurs on a regular basis. Toxic.

Focus on improving the product and open your minds to new ideas.

Politics reign supreme.

I worked at LiveText

Pros

There is a decent salary involved and good benefits.

Cons

Incompetent snobbish management and a dictator-like atmosphere.

The reasons people leave are not fully understood by leadership due to management trying to cover up their incompetencies. Hire managers worth respecting and employees who do not need hand holding and this company will take an atmosphere of enlightenment rather than oppression and indifference.

Politics and unproffesional behavior run supreme

I worked at LiveText full-time

Pros

Salary is OK, but not that competitive

Cons

Cliche management team who is over controlling and authoritative toward its employees. Benefits are minimal and certainly not industry standard

This company has a very high attrition rate because they treat their employees poorly, they have an overinflated sense of themselves and can't accept perspectives or suggestions that are different than their own. Hire managers who know how to cultivate the strenghts of the employees and that allow for indepedent thinking and engage in true strategic planning (rather than being so recationary) and this company could do well.