LiveWorld Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Peter H. Friedman

Fairly flexible, but little to no opportunity to advance

I have been working at LiveWorld part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home is great, and a hard thing to find. No trouble getting time off. People are great to work with and very helpful. Ability to block out the times you don't want to work is a big plus.

Cons

Hours can be lost with little to no warning. No merit based pay increases, almost no increases at all for most employees. Very difficult to pick up more hours if you want them. When salaried jobs become available, they rarely hire from within. No benefits, no recognition for hard work and dedication. Schedule is only set for two weeks at a time, but may be changed with no notice.

Advice to Management

You need to realize that, without your moderators, you have no company. You need to appreciate your people more and show it, with praise and performance based increases. Listen to the quality people you have before you wake up one morning and discover you've lost them all.

A Company That's Forgotten It Was Built On The Fingers Of Its Workers

Current Employee - Social Media Moderator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LiveWorld (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is incredible: no commute time, no dress code, and connections with other moderators are all a plus.

Cons

-Low pay (most moderators are paid state minimum wage, which is significantly lower than most moderation companies pay) -Zero transparency in regards to corporate positions (currently there are 7 VPS, a CEO, an ex-VP, a CFO, a creative director, and 2 sales directors. All this information is on the website), and no one has any idea what any of them do. -Scheduling is entirely unpredictable and unstable: schedules are posted for 2 weeks out, but if something changes your hours can get cut without advanced notice. If a client leaves (which recently happened) during the already published schedule period, the hours for that client just vanish, and you're left with less hours and no recourse. There are many empty shifts which are released for moderator pick up after every schedule publishes, but if you're not signed into the schedule system at that moment, then forget it, because they'll be gone before you do. -There is absolutely no method of anonymous complaints. If you have an issue with a manager or a fellow moderator, there is not a single person at the corporate level you can talk to who you know will keep your confidence. It will be found out that it was you, and there will be backlash. -Very little support for moderators in any way. Most managers, and those at the corporate level, are impossible to communicate with. Emails are sent and receive no reply, IMs are sent to those online and never responded to. Managers are very rarely around outside of 9-5pm hours if assistance is required. -A culture of fear is cultivated when the only contact most moderators have with managers is for negative feedback. Positive feedback simply does not happen. There is no review process, there is no method of communicating when a moderator does a good job. All communication from managers is negative. Moderators are terrified of making a mistake, because that's the only time they hear from managers. Reactive feedback does not make for good morale. -Nepotism is a well known issue at LW. For those who have a connection to a manager or someone at the corporate level, you are set for life. They'll receive better hours, often better pay, their misdeeds are often overlooked and explained away. They are, essentially, untouchable. -Some days, the disorganized and inconsistent resources makes it impossible to do your job well. -There is no upward momentum, unless you are the result of aforementioned nepotism. You being as an hourly, poorly paid, moderator and there you shall stay. There is absolutely no mechanism which recognizes talent, dedication, loyalty, time at the company, or education. Hiring internally simply does not happen.

Advice to Management

The only reason you have a company is because there are human beings behind a computer screen, with brains and feelings and passions and interests, things for which those at the corporate level care not. You need to care about your moderators. Low morale will doom your company. Additionally, stop believing you are selling technology, and realize you are selling a product that relies on the brains and eyes and fingers of the human being behind the computer screen. Learn about your moderators. Treat them as more than an extension of software. Learn their names. Learn their location. Learn their favorite color. But realize that your company is built on the fingers of your moderators, and at the moment those fingers are bloodied, abused, and disrespected by the very people whose paycheck depends on them.

Be Wary

Former Employee - Moderator in San Jose, CA

I worked at LiveWorld (More than 10 years)

Pros

Certain members of management really, actually get it and make the environment pleasant while you're working with them. Flexible scheduling to meet your needs. Interesting tasks.

Cons

Corporate is completely disconnected from the real world of moderation. The pay is low and don't expect a raise, ever. If, by chance, you do get a raise you could lose it at their whim. Getting hours is like a feeding frenzy.

Advice to Management

Pull it together. Realize who your important members are and value them. Start practicing what you preach.

5. Mgr

I have been working at LiveWorld

Pros

Strong supportive culture. Creative,. Big customers. Work from home flexibility is fantastic

Cons

Hard work and if the virtual work environment doesn't work for you that will be an issue

6. Small company, big work and project opportunities

I have been working at LiveWorld full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, very flexible schedule, brilliant passionate employees. Average to less work volume compared to other startups in the valley. Internet & phone along with books and training are paid without question.

Cons

Expect your offer compensation to be market minus 10-15%, but they don't hide this and have good reasons for this policy. As new business gets traction this might change

Advice to Management

Great public, cash flow positive company. But this also makes LiveWorld more risk averse compared to competitors. LiveWorld has a great development methodology that big companies could learn from, leveraging this and building the right new products will determine LiveWorld's future success

Very low pay, no opportunity to advance, stagnant.

Former Employee - Social Media Moderator in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Social Media Moderator in San Jose, CA

I worked at LiveWorld full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work itself can be fun, work from home, other moderators can be nice.

Cons

Very poor communication from management, no ability to move up, disconnect between corp and moderator team, moderators treated like the proverbial stepchildren, extremely low pay way below market, very poor outlook.

Advice to Management

Imagine Live World without the moderators. Moderators are the backbone of your business, yet there are no raises -- having worked there for years I never got a raise and made pretty much minimum wage. This is not what you pay people with experience and whom you call "professionals." You can't have high expectations for those you are not willing to pay accordingly and treat as valued members of the team. Corp and mods are in two different worlds, the haves and have nots, so to speak. Bring your people together, acknowledge good work, give reviews and raises. Also, invest in some psychology of business education for management because you are not treating people in a psychologically healthy fashion. You will get better work out of people if you study human nature. You may not believe a person should be thanked for doing their job, but it will benefit you in the long run so do it for your business. People need to feel appreciated and part of something. Aside from reminding mods how lucky they are to work from home (while they pay for their own computers, office furniture, internet connection, electricity, insurance, etc. which is saving you a lot of money), treat them as workers in your offices. You will see positive change if you are willing to pay people a decent wage based on the market. There are people working for you over 10, 15+ years and have never once had any kind of raise. Some of the managers also are very petty and snide and I would send them into training on how to be a good manager. There's no place for those superior attitudes at work.

I want to send a Great Big THANK YOU to the poster above, was truly humorous.

I have been working at LiveWorld

Pros

There is a GREAT opportunity to buy some food during the month which has helped maintain the mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise we so need.

Cons

If you were neglected or abused as a child or you're just a glutton for self -punishment, this job is for you.

Advice to Management

Pee Wee Herman e un attore incredibile!!!! It just SOUNDS better in Italian, don't you think?

moderator/lead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at LiveWorld (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can move up easily if you play your cards right

Cons

You can move down easily if you play your cards wrong

Advice to Management

I have to agree with all of the negative, but authentic posts below. The real problem is management. Instead of the company correcting the problem, they come on here to post positive reviews about themselves so that is the first thing a user would see. That is a diversion and not a solution. I was given responsibility early on and had to earn respect using unethical methods. Looking for other opportunities, or until my spouse can land on his feet.

Wanting the best for the coming New Year

Current Employee - Moderator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Moderator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LiveWorld part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The working from home part is really wonderful! I can't stress enough how blessed I am. I'm also a big fan of the CEO whose recent book captured the heart of the company that has come so, so, so very far. Not sure if he knows how much some of us really love and admire him. The management team is really top notch and I'm loving the around the clock information. We are a company who truly never sleeps ; -)

Cons

This is really rough because I want to say so much but can't. What can I say? It's a business and there are things we won't always like. I know for sure we need more morale across the board but especially within the moderator community. I'm writing this review for this reason. I know for sure for SURE, SURE, SURE that moderators will increase value, add more substance and bring about a serious positive change if certain long term issues would be looked into and taken into consideration. Sure, we do our best but we all know that a child who is loved in not neglected. Shalom Aleychem, thank you.

Advice to Management

You are really wonderful, extremely talented bunch of individuals from different backgrounds. Upper management is super, leads are amazing and our CEO is my rock star!

Poor management

Former Employee - Moderator in San Jose, CA

I worked at LiveWorld part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work from home Forgiving of errors, don't lose this quality, it's the only one you have left but learn to draw a fine line between recognizing incompetence vs. human error.. get rid of the incompetence.

Cons

No acknowledgement of work No positive feedback No raise Not enough hours

Advice to Management

Learn to know which employees actually put forth effort. You tend to listen to the chat room and think those that chat are working and are well liked. I could have chat all day and pretended I was working, but I have pride. Note, chatting about work related issues that are not new issues should put a question in your head about a persons ability. Chatting and creating distractions means not working. I did my workload whether you cared or not. You forge false relationships on Facebook, having no clue that you liked someone's 20 photographs that makes constant errors and puts your job on the line continuously with clients. You continue to forge false relationships with moderators that have quit the company and you forget about your current employees that you ignore online. Very sad and example of having your head in the sand. Don't even know who or what you're liking, engaging with, and wasting your time with. You encourage people online that have left the company for a competitor. At times you engage with only a handful of moderators, making them think they are superior. This is not a school yard. Very disrespectful and shows such lack of integrity by management. With the downfall of their only ethical leader, Julia, this will only get worse over time.

RSS Feed </> Embed