Livefyre
www.livefyre.com San Francisco, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Livefyre Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Livefyre – San Francisco – “Livefyre Team Photo”

Jordan Kretchmer

An amazing mix of tough challenges, great people, and stratospheric growth

Engineering (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe perfect workplace doesn't exist. That said, Livefyre comes as close as is likely possible. The work environment is intellectually challenging (in a good way) every day. We are solving tough problems technically, and we get to operate a platform at a level of scale that few companies achieve. The environment is scrappy and fun, and the people who are here truly strive to make the environment, technology, and products second-to-none. The customer base has growth tremendously, and competitors have fallen by the wayside due to the hard work of everyone across the organization. Livefyre has a "all customers should be happy customers" mantra, and this shows in our customer and employee retention.

ConsAs I stated in the "Pros", the perfect workplace doesn't exist. The following "Cons" are minor in the scheme of the tremendous positive aspects of Livefyre. The speed at which the company operates can be challenging for some. There have been periods of work/life and leadership imbalance during periods of rapid growth. We have the occasional episode of start-up immaturity as leadership continues to mature. Goal-setting for employees has been hit or miss at times, but has gotten consistently better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to structure the company for team success(es), and continue to remain committed to hiring only the best.

Everything is your fault here

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are a lot of free booze here if you're into that kind of thing.
    The compensation is rather high (at least for me it was). However, it's rather opaque for this company, so you don't know what you're making in relation to your peers.
    The company is still young so it's possible to have a large impact as a single person.
    The CEO seems like a very nice guy.

ConsFrequently, management will set goals for you, but they won't tell you what they are, and you'll have no idea you even have any goals. It is then your fault if you don't meet them.
    The company will not take any consideration what your skills are when putting you on a team. I was hired as a Python engineer. I was put on DevOps. For obvious reasons, I did not excel at DevOps. When I asked to switch teams, I was ignored and shut down. I was then fired for the exact thing I was complaining about, as though it's my fault that Livefyre put me on the wrong team.
    Your achievements here are pretty much ignored, and any mistakes you make are greatly amplified. You're under constant scrutiny here in a "CYA" approach by management.
    This company also has absolutely no work/life balance. You are expected to work until you drop here. If you don't want to work until 2 AM, you're not "cut out" for this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementCull your upper management. They're incredibly demanding, ignore what others have to say, they're ridiculously unreasonable, and they'll look to get engineers fired for any or no reason.
    Take your employees' skills into account when you put them on a team. Don't take an application engineer and stick them on DevOps. Don't take a DevOps engineer and put them on the front end. You have a ton of engineers who can contribute a lot if you'll just *let* them.
    Listen to your employees if they say they'd unhappy with where they are. Don't just ignore them and then fire them later. It costs a lot more to hire and train a new engineer than to just move a current one around.
    If you hire someone to do a specific job, actually give them that job. Stop putting people on teams contrary to their skillset and then getting mad at them about it. It's your fault they're not being used to their full abilities, not their's.
    Also, stop trying to game the glassdoor reviews. That's incredibly unethical. Don't tell employees to come leave positive reviews. If you deserve positive reviews, you'll get them. If you deserve negative reviews, you'll get them. Seriously. Two five star reviews on Apr 3? Right after the CEO told people to go leave positive reviews? Sure.

Livefyre Founder and CEO responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    First, I want to thank you for the feedback. While I take exception, and frankly, disagree with some of the statements that you have made, I understand that this is how you feel about your experience ... More

Fast, challenging problems, a place to thrive

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI've been for several years now. It's the best place I've worked. The growth has been radical, and the technology challenges increasingly fall into the "computationally hard" category, which you rarely see in practice; or, you go some place so big they're already solved.

In that, it's professionally demanding. That kind of work, even for the brightest, requires a professional approach and the team expects you to rise to the occasion, because they have as well. But people are always willing to help; it's a strong team ethic.

In all that, it's fun. It's a young vibrant company where people are witty, caring, funny, and genuinely helpful. You'll make genuine friends.

ConsThe people who thrive at Livefyre are driven and passionate about doing something interesting. They're excitable. They have professional standards and ethics. And Livefyre is a not simply a paycheck and good place to play ping-pong (which it is good for both), but it's a vehicle to something awesome. You're already awesome, but you know you can be even more awesome.

If you're just looking for a job with a timecard, a SOP, effusive pats on the back, or to be told what to do, it's not the right place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep filling the team with people strive for awesome.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to learn Web 2.0 full stack

Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGood front-end team. CEO is smart and a good orator and communicator. Lots of opportunity to learn a niche social web service.

ConsManagement is non-existent. No clear career development. Too much ego going around.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some management training and some humility goes a long way.

Livefyre Founder and CEO responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    I really appreciate the balanced feedback that you have provided. During a number of extended periods in the past 18 months, we were going through extremely rapid expansion - both in team growth and ... More

Simply put, I'm blessed to be a part of this organization.

Customer Support (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Culture. You'll never find another company like it. We love each other. We help each other. We all want to succeed. These core elements of our team are apparent, and it oozes in our company traditions from Free Willy Fridays for birthdays to the way our execs acknowledge when team members do amazing things. We can also shoot pool, play pingpong, go to the roof deck, whatever, any time. We have intramural teams. It's awesome.

- Growth. I joined this team as an unpaid intern nearly 4 years ago, barely a year out of college, and I was fortunate enough to be brought on full-time shortly after. CEO Jordan Kretchmer and VP Jenna Langer worked with me, personally, 1 on 1, to make me a better employee and performer. Every member of this team has helped make me a better person and professional in some way. I've grown more than I ever though I would, and with the current trajectory of this company, that potential to continue to grow never diminishes.

- Focus, passion, and effort. It's 100%, all of the time. Folks like Jordan and Jenna who lead this company give us every ounce of their passion and effort, and in return, they expect the same. It's not unreasonable, in my opinion. If you want to be the best, if you want to build the best product out there, you can't do it half-stepping. Sometimes that's long nights. Sometimes it's not. And as we've grown the long nights are fewer and fewer as we add more streamlined process, more pieces to the team puzzle, and simply get better and better at what we do. But this is still a start-up, we're still scrappy, and sometimes that's going to demand more of you than other jobs might.

- Compensation. Our team has worked to hire the best, and in turn, we compensate well. As I alluded to above, we don't hire someone expecting to get 80% of their effort. It's 100%. And, with that expectation, it's only fair that you're compensated in an extremely competitive way. And we are. From pay, to benefits, to perks (free snacks, drinks, etc. everyday, free lunches for any late workers, etc.), this company will take care of you.

- The "personal" touch. This comes back to my first point: we love each other here. In ways that I'm not willing to disclose here, I've had, on numerous occasions, had my co-workers, management, and yes, even the CEO, step in and help me through a personal struggle, goal, whatever. Everyone here is approachable, and I'm blessed to have had their guidance and influence in my life. Family and "mental wellness", for lack of a better phrase, are ultimate priorities here. Everyone works extremely hard here, but we also realize what's most important, and we're serious about ensuring those aspects of our live are always able to be the priority and are properly encouraged and supported.

- Potential. We're doing very, very big things in this space. Seriously. I've been here a long time. I've seen it all from, "Oh snap, this runway is looking scarily short..." to "Oh snap, how much in funding?!" to "This is changing everything." I assure you, you'll be a part of some very, very awesome things if you join this team.

ConsAt the risk of sounding like a "Livefyre homer", for me, it's hard to think of any Cons. I'm from the more or less rural south, I never imagined I'd be a part of anything like this is "in the big city." I get to work on a product I'm emotionally invested in, with people I'm emotionally connected to, in an area of the city with awesome food and fairly easy transportation to and from.

While I do miss the "unlimited" PTO days of yor (I believe it's now like 21 days or something now...don't quote me on that, I haven't read the HR manual like I should have!), that's really the only "Con" I think of. We've been through some rough times here, every start-up that succeeds will have those, and it's only made us better. It's only brought us closer, and it's only allowed us to grow even more.

I'm blessed to be a part of this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

I've fortunate to have several years of experience here that allow me to comment on more than most. Our leadership constantly makes great decisions, they constantly do what is best for the organization, even when it's not easiest of decisions, and I've never once felt like our leadership was failing us. In fact, I often tell others how, somehow, from Day One, critical calls have been made time and time again, company-altering decisions, and each time they've only pointed our trajectory higher and higher.

Come work for this team. Seriously. You'll see what I mean.

Rocket Ship

Product Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat office culture.
    Smart people.
    100% A-hole-free environment.
    Get paid to win.

ConsHard to keep up with the pace at times.
    Learning curve can be challenging.
    I can't think of anything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep winning. We've got your backs.

Opaque and Usurious

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are friendly
    Compensation is competitive
    There is opportunity to contribute everywhere

ConsThere is no work-life balance. You will work until you drop.
    Management does not set goals for staff to achieve.
    Management does not reward goals, when they are achieved.
    The review process is circumvented.
    Contributions are not rewarded with praise or bonuses.
    Management hires teams of people and lays them off in large groups
    Management abuses staff in meetings, shouting and demanding new short-term goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are a resource, please don't abuse them.
    It is unethical to hire and dump groups of people in a short time frame.
    Be transparent about team and company goals.
    Set clear goals and allow staff to achieve them using their own skills and creativity
    Anger and abuse demoralizes teams and sets a standard for bullying and an unprofessional environment.

Livefyre Founder and CEO responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    I am sorry that you had such a negative experience here. While not every company/employee relationship is a perfect fit, we try to do everything we can to ensure that hires that we make are a match ... More

Management needs help

Customer Side (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Very casual environment
    - Young team
    - Easy access to public transit
    - Everyone gets their own Apple hardware

ConsManagement shouldn't be managing. Everyone in charge was promoted up because they joined the company in early stages so they were promoted up by default. The result is a management team who has no idea what they're doing. Which makes it really difficult to feel supported or motivated. They should really look to bring on some older more experienced leaders.

They also expect you to work really long hours. It's a startup environment and they expect that the office is your life, coworkers are your only friends, and you want to be working 24/7. Very difficult to find a work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got to do something about your management team. They are going to drive away all of your quality employees, and quickly.

Livefyre Founder and CEO responded to this review Jun 23, 2014 EditDelete
    At the time you left this review, Livefyre was going through a year long transition from small scrappy startup, to a company with real structure and a 5x growth of large customers. I’ve never wanted ... More

Fast-paced and fun -- you'll keep on learning every day!

San Francisco, CA

ProsTeam spirit and community is at the core of this company. Walking into work everyday meant I was seeing my friends everyday, and it was a blast to work alongside such spirited, knowledgeable, dedicated professionals. Tons of room for career growth, since Livefyre still has that "start-up" feel -- you can be a jack of all trades here.

ConsLong hours surrounding product updates and launches, some peer pressure to be involved in after-work activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being as open and as kind as you already are; your employees appreciate it!

Love being part of this fast paced start up.

Office Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThere are so many great reasons to be here.

The people. I have never been surrounded by so many bright, witty and all around fun young professionals. Everyone works hard, but jokes are cracked throughout the day & communication lines are always open. No one is afraid to ask for help, there are no tough questions.

The environment is very casual, while still maintaining a level of professionalism. There's always something fun happening, whether it's our weekly company kickball league, a party for whatever reason we can think up, happy hours with local bars, or being "free-willy'd" (You'll have to take a job here to learn the meaning of that one.) this place is always jumping!

The food! Our kitchen is always fully stocked. Just a few items include, fresh fruits & veggies, all kinds of snacks, cold cuts, deli meats, and anything else you'd need to make a killer sandwich, every kind of cereal you could want as well as adult beverages... which usually don't start disappearing until after 5pm.

I could list a million reasons why I love working here, but the main reason is that I'm not the only one. This is the kind of job that makes you WANT to come to work, no one plays hookie, no one gets bored and I've heard mulitiple people say "this is the best job I've ever had

ConsThe only downside is our building is currently under construction & there are sometimes loud noises, but the building does their best to keep the noise during non business hours & that should be done before the end of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more awesome people!

Worked for Livefyre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Livefyre reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Livefyre CEO Jordan Kretchmer. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Livefyre employees.