Livefyre

Updated February 22, 2015
2.5

Livefyre Founder & CEO Jordan Kretchmer
Jordan Kretchmer

It's a place to work.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Livefyre

Pros

I worked at livefyre for a year and some change. I had a great time. Fantastic engineers, active learning environment, all the blah blah blahs that you get in startuplandia.... You can learn a great deal here and there's still some good people left, but things have and are a changin'....

Cons

I'm not going to go agro or list a bunch of things that are wrong, but there are. Long story short there is no "culture" here anymore, and there is no loyalty. The company and moreover CEO are in "buy me" mode and so are doing whatever they feel is necessary to attain that. You will be told you are irreplaceable one day and be gone the next these days. It's sad, especially to watch a bunch of people (20 - 30 in the past couple of months) who gave their heart and soul to the org and the job get dropped no notice, and to "save money" Immediately after a huge funding round. Eh, these are rich men playing rich men games. No matter how much they preach about whatever the heck it is they are preaching about goals, values, culture, etc. It means nothing. Know this.

Like this box matters one bit. You can't change the attitude of the company with a seating chart. You removed certain people from positions that made the company thrive. You brought on people that don't share vision and who openly mock engineers in front of others. The list goes on. Your office is sick, but hey you got your two big fish investors so none of this rambling matters. Enjoy your stock.

Truly disappointing...

I have been working at Livefyre full-time

Pros

You can work from the rooftop but the internet isn't the greatest.
    You'll meet great people.

Cons

No transparency- an executive advisory board was created to help create transparency throughout the company but the board is made up of VPs and managers who are scared to speak their minds to the CEO and will just tell the CEO everything and anything he wants to hear.
    You can't challenge the status quota, because if you do...you're on the blacklist.
    Veterans of the company are only there because they're friends with the CEO. Even if they suck at their job, they're safe.
    No leadership training.
    Hard to trust the CEO, he says one thing and does another. (i.e. December company meeting- "no lay-offs", February company meeting- "company wide lay-offs").
    Great, smart people leave on a weekly basis.
    Exec team is not open to feedback. Encourages everyone to give feedback but then you're called out and yelled at if you do.
    Compared to other start-ups, Livefyre falls short on all aspects of company perks, benefits, and salary.
    Favoritism.
    Lack of processes, resources, and scalability.
    Lack of employee empowerment.
    You don't need to be qualified to get a job, you just have to bs your way through it.
    There isn't an open door policy, the CEO and execs are always locked up in a conference room. When they're not in a meeting they are very unapproachable and just keep to themselves.
    CEO loves gossip.

There's some truth to all the Glassdoor reviews, take a moment to read all of them and learn something before deleting it.
    If culture is really important to you, define it, and stick to it.
    Rethink your overall company strategy, sometimes founders aren't always the best people to operate the company.
    Learn some humility.
    Learn to make strategic hires and hire people that are qualified for the job.
    Learn to follow through with what is announced during company meetings and communicate to EVERYONE not just to management.
    Treat people how you would like to be treated.
    CEO needs leadership training, guidance, and development.
    The CEO should not hire direct family members to join the team. That's a conflict of interest.
    Being an exec or CEO also means being the "bad guy" at times, learn to take responsibility instead of blaming others for your short comings.
    Gossip causes more problems so instead of wanting to know who's saying what, give them a reason to not talk bad about you.

Exciting company with great people and technology

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Livefyre full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been in the workforce for a while.. over 15 years. And have been at some awful startups. This is not one of them. As a sales person, I had a great time, was not micromanaged (lots of autonomy) and had a great product to sell. I made some good money and worked with some of the best people ever. So take previous reviews with a grain of salt. If it was bad, I would definitely sound off. It was not. This is no B.S. review. I was there for over a year and a half and just recently left for my own reasons. But I had a great time at Livefyre and would recommend it to any sales exec.

On to the Pros:

- Incredible platform
    - Collaborative, smart workforce. Truly friendly people willing to help you close deals
    - Hot company. Yes, it's not all perfect, but this company (I believe) will exit successfully
    - Great office, good food

Cons

- Lead gen.... Guys, hire more lead gen reps right friggin now! Hopefully you've already done this. It's all about top of the funnel.
    - CEO.. We know you're busy spreading the word, but spend more time in the office in 2015
    - Hiring.. Sometimes hiring is rushed at Livefyre. Focus on hiring the right fits, especially in management roles.

Keep adding to your great platform. Bump up the lead-gen and continue to work on your brand strategy. Also, get a more cohesive agency strategy.

Past the point of no return

I worked at Livefyre

Pros

Livefyre is great at attracting likable and fun characters, in fact that's the entire interview process. No questions asked will determine your merit or degree of talent, but more that you're going to fit in and not ask any real questions. So if you can ham it up you'll surely get a seat.

Fun and incredibly expensive parties
    Rooftop is cool

Cons

When I joined the company it was soaring, but I knew it wouldn't last. There was no strategy or development plan to grow the business, just sell product. Sell, sell, sell. Sell to anyone, everyone. At first it was very encouraging, wow we're making money and getting funding and moving into a new building! A staggeringly huge and expensive floor at the very top, with uncomfortable but sleek looking furniture. Nobody liked it, it was too bright and hard-edged, all the rooms are completely glass so there's no privacy to speak of anywhere. The developers complained about the lights and the CEO held an all-hands meeting where he yelled at everyone for being ungrateful, saying that they're the most expensive lights money can buy!

Long story short the company tanked after some things nobody can talk about (NDA), with no backup plan the CEO calls everyone together and starts crying. Crying. He failed, and he knew it. But he had no plan-b, his answer was to be belligerent. And if you were one of the people who didn't fall for his schtick you had a big fat target painted on your forehead.

Fire all VPs across the board, put your money into engineering and not hiring a whole new sales team to sell the same garbage to the same people who don't want it.

Nightmare On Third St. Stay Clear Of This Horror Show!

I have been working at Livefyre full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros? The only pro I can come up with is showing me what a terrible culture looks like so I never work anywhere as horrible as this again.

Cons

I've worked here for two years. One star is too many for this place. I thought the new year might turn things around for us at Livefyre but then the CEO sent out the worst beginning of the year email I've ever read. Not motivating and as usual he took no accountability for where the company is at because of his amateur hour leadership. The culture here is worse than high school. It's like junior high school. The CEO's management style is fear, lies, intimidation, lies and more lies. There is no real strategy other than the one Jordan has stolen from our competitors and tries to pass off as his own vision. No one has direction and development is a mess. Morale is the lowest its ever been. If you are thinking of coming to work here, save yourself and go somewhere else.

Take email away from Jordan.

It's like a dysfunctional family.

I have been working at Livefyre

Pros

Lots of free snacks, drinks and alcohol, and catered lunches and dinners once a week. Really nice office with a game room and roof deck. Fun parties once every couple months. Coworkers are mostly pretty cool and there are lots of after-work happy hours, sports leagues, and other stuff like that.

Cons

Management from the top down is very immature. Everything looks great on the surface but there is an undercurrent of seedy company politics. Product changes direction at the whim of any customer request or snap judgement from the CEO, so employees end up spinning their wheels for nothing all the time. Senior management is like a boys club and very secretive about the direction of the company, they've let several key employees go over the past few months without communicating their departures to the rest of the team.

Be more strategic about product, employee growth and retention, and the direction of the company. Don't ask an entire team to pull all-nighters for weeks on a project you end up scrapping because suddenly you changed your minds. Beer and parties can't make up for a lack of honesty, respect, and direction from management.

Hanging by a thread.

I have been working at Livefyre

Pros

Free food and drinks. - Snacks, all kinds of single serve drinks, catered meals and top shelf liquor.
    Cool/huge office, game room and roof deck - Really cool design and sprawling outside area.
    WFH days, team offsite's and really fun parties. - You can get away with a lot.

Cons

Dishonest and disrespectful senior management. - Yelling, cussing, insulting. All from the top down.
    Uneven pay. - Yup, for the same jobs.
    Clear favoritism. - Either you're "in with the in crowd" or you're on the outs.
    No work/life balance. - Personal relationships suffer as a result.
    No job stability. - Working in constant fear.

1 - Send executives and management through some rigorous re-training. HR needs to be involved.
    2 - Stop being so secretive. The office was built with glass walls, so start being transparent.
    3 - On the same note, know when to make things private. Fights, firings and reviews should be done somewhere not everyone can see/hear you.
    4 - Stop letting people go with little to no warning, especially those who affect the entire org. We miss them.
    5 - Stop tolerating anyone who says "That's not in my job description."
    6 - Ask for anonymous feedback in the office or via email if you don't want to keep seeing it here.

Run away. Far and fast.

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Livefyre

Pros

Hm...employment? Honestly if you look at the other reviews you can see all you need to know. The best thing about this job is the snacks.

Cons

Every aspect of working here is a con.

It's easy to see why management is so concerned about Glassdoor reviews - we can finally be honest about how awful it is to work here! Jordan would be better-suited running a fraternity than a company - he clearly knows nothing about creating a positive work culture. I'm honestly shocked that this company is still functioning at all.

There is no zero star option? This is the WORST place to work. I cannot stress enough how awful it is here.

I have been working at Livefyre full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some nice and talented people there who try their best to bring vitality and integrity to the environment. There are catered meals often.

Cons

Management rules within a shroud of contempt for transparency and integrity. They are so into being popular and well-liked that they have utterly checked their competency in the most basic ways at the door. In the multiple years I have been working in tech, I have never seen such incompetence and lack of basic leadership skills in senior position holders. However, there are a few folks in upper management who are generally solid (except not, because they let the others get away with atrocious acts of irresponsibility).

There is no career path here unless you started when the org was founded and never ever ever call out any areas of opportunity or ask for anything to improve. Ever.

There is a culture of oppressing ideas or activities that would generate change; especially if it would point out any mistakes that have been made. People have been routinely pushed out (made so miserable until they quit) for raising very valid issues. This is currently happening to me and others in various depts. And, despite management's obsession with determining the author of a negative Glassdoor review, they won't be able to determine an individual from a pool of multiple hard-working and otherwise happy people they are treating horribly.

Ummm...fire yourselves?

Sales Rep

I have been working at Livefyre full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As another reviewer mentioned, a really fun product to sell. Lots of interest in the marketplace, top of the line technology, and everyone in the organization is interested in helping you achieve your best. The people are great.

A couple of reviewers mentioned that there were some comp plan issues for sales reps. I'm a current rep, and while there were definitely some challenges in the past, the company has recently taken big steps to upgrade our comp plans, and also to realign quotas for more realistic expectations... all retroactively! Which has been great. I understand that management continues to look into improving the incentive structure, and will be making more updates to further improve comp soon.

Cons

The sales organization could use more market & product roadmap training

Communicate more! Employees love to hear about where the company is going and exciting things we're doing, and as we grow very quickly, it is becoming more important to have more regular, formalized means of communication.