LivingSocial

LivingSocial Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

LivingSocial CEO Tim O'Shaughnessy

Tim O'Shaughnessy

Pros
  • Now the only pro is that I work from home(in 46 reviews)

• Fun work environment full of talented sales professionals(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture does does not promote work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Ridiculous competition with inside sales, when we shout "local" in our Branding(in 18 reviews)

Good Place & Good People

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsVery nimble and enjoyable company to work for

ConsLack of communication and managerial direction.

Manager

ProsCulture, opportunity for advancement, transparency of executive team to the company, flexibility. Anyone who does not feel they can approach their manager or their manager's manager should look at themselves. I've worked at several companies and never felt a better "open door policy" then at LivingSocial. Because we are still a new company constantly evolving, if something is broken, we will fix it! The fact that we are still in the early stages as a company yet a leader in a new and innovative way to advertise and reach consumers is still extremely exciting!!!! If you are flexible, hungry and ambitious, you will succeed here.

ConsThe reality is we are still an upstart company with many areas of improvement: management training and development and internal processes. As we continue to evolve and change, make sure the 'right' individuals are being utilized and consulted and not just the 'usual suspects'. Communication between departments has always been an issue and needs to get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that a lot of lower management has never managed before and do need training. Improving their abilities will go a long way to increasing employee satisfaction, retention and the company as a whole. If retention is an issue, don't ignore the tenured, proven successful employees.

I loved working for ls.

Sales Director (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are the number one reason the company is so wonderful.

ConsYou never turn it off. this is not a 9-5.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. It is what you make of it.

Pros- Tons of opportunity for people who are looking to grow and gain exposure to different parts of the business
    - Fun group of co-workers who are passionate, smart, and driven
    - Interesting work
    - Relatively flat hierarchy, senior leadership is generally accessible
    - True entrepreneurship environment, anyone with a good idea can really make an impact

Cons- Communication amongst teams and groups could be better
    - Things can get a little hectic, but this could also be a pro if you thrive in that type of environment
    - Constant change

Advice to Senior Management- Keep making the work environment fun

LivingSocial Adventures: It is a fun job, as long as it's not your primary one

Experience Coordinator (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou lead lots of fun events and get to be outside a lot. You kayak, canoe, tube down rivers, go on brewery tours, etc. all as a part of the job. Not too hard and the customers are usually pretty easy to get along with unless they are really drunk by the end of it.

ConsThe pay is really bad. Also, at least at the time I was working here, the company didnt pay by the hour, only by the trip (Like $50 for a half-day event, around $75-$85 for a full day event) regardless of how many hours it actually ended up taking. Trips went over the scheduled times often, due to customers not listening to time instructions, customers being drunk and wandering, and traffic from long distances traveled for events. I worked 14hrs one day and still received like $80. So that part really sucked. And you are only paid once per month. Maybe this has changed by now, but in the summer of 2012 this was a constant reality.

Fun at first, then it went downhill FAST

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsCulture- as long as the employees keep it up, this place has amazing coworkers. I worked in the Tucson CS and MS departments and loved most of the people hired. This all changed about a year ago...

Pay- as far as Customer Service jobs go in Tucson, this is tops in pay. Many people think the pay is what it averages out to be including the overtime, but your base salary is what it is.

ConsPromotions- Mess up at your job ever? Be prepared to watch other, less qualified people get promoted over you (I'm not a bitter person- I was actually promoted several times!), but the truth is, I watched so many qualified workers get passed up because they weren't popular with upper management

Upper Management- these people make me want to scream. They consistently act like a cool club that no one else can be a part of. They protect eachother first, even when some of them do some pretty messed up things.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites.

Fun for the first few months

ProsRelaxed Dress Attire, friendly staff and free snacks

ConsAdvancement is extremely limited and highly unlikely. Management is young and inexperienced which leads to a bit of a scramble in various high pressure situations

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider shaping people for the job they aspire to get. And once they're ready, give them the opportunity to do it.

Great place to work, and beef up your resume!

Merchant Services (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat Culture, everyone is very nice.

ConsIt's a call center in Tucson, very rigid and strict on clocking in and out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really enjoyed my boss, she was very insightful for my career growth. Great support!

Start up with inexperienced Leadership

Account Executive, Outside Sales (Current Employee)

ProsThe first 2yrs. when you could launch your own Market and build commissions based off individual contribution.
    Sales Incentives (ie. VIP trips, Whale Winners Circle)
    The Relationships built internally. & with Merchants.

ConsLacks Executive Leadership and experience.
    Lacks product initiatives and new growth.
    Inexperienced Management.
    Inexperienced Sales Team.
    Overall message from Executive Team lacks transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe 100% transparent with your employees.
    Support and LISTEN to your reps on the ground level.

Struggling Company... Don't Believe the Hype!

Inside Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsCasual Dress Code. You get benefits and 3 weeks worth of PTO day one of employment. They offer free beer and wine everyday after 3:30 to booze up the employees.

ConsThis place is crazy! LivingSocial is probably one of the most unethical companies I've ever had the displeasure of working for without a doubt. They have a "churn and burn" office environment and they are constantly getting rid of employees left and right for "poor performance" and other false allegations. This company was sued for not treating their employees well and they are still up to the same tricks. The training is horrible. It doesn't prepare you for the day-to-day at all. With the exception of like 1 manager, the rest of them are inexperienced, unprofessional kids who have never managed a team a day in their lives. They have no leadership skills and think being a good manager is having a pow wow every morning. The Director is disconnected from the job and is merely a puppet. He honestly controls mundane tasks and reads employee google chats and again, does nothing to motivate or lead the inside sales team to success. The goals are completely ridiculous and those who are hitting them are getting help from the managers. The pay is an absolute joke and as a sales person, you are never in a position to calculate your own commission. They basically tell you what it is. The stars pretty much have to align for you to get paid a decent check. The 70K annual salary that they put in your offer letter is NOT TRUE! Bottom line is everything depends on your market and the quality of the subscribers in the market you are given which sadly, as a sales person, we don't control. The favorites are given decent markets and deals and the others are left to starve. There is no loyalty given to employees and they are never that invested in keep their sales people which is why they are ALWAYS hiring. It's not because they are growing leaps and bounds. It's because since I've been there at the end of last year, more than half of the office has been given the boot. Overall, I would never recommend this company to anyone. Perhaps the DC office is better and maybe even working for the outside sales team could be better, but the inside sales office is a toxic, toxic place and I wouldn't even attempt to give this a try had I known what I know now.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, good luck. Your subscribers are unsubscribing by the thousands, your employees are jumping ship, merchants absolutely hate working with you (less than 16% approval rating by merchants) and you are doing nothing to elevate your brand and business model. Look into what Groupon is doing... I know your employees are going to competitors and looking into them as a means to escape. Furthermore, I would say stop wasting money hiring people you are just going to end up firing. Your sales strategy of quantity versus quality doesn't translate with human capital. The more people you hire is just wasting your money because about 3 months in, people realize this job is horrible and the environment is toxic.

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!