LivingSocial

LivingSocial Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

LivingSocial CEO Tim O'Shaughnessy

Tim O'Shaughnessy

Pros
  • Now the only pro is that I work from home(in 47 reviews)

• Fun work environment full of talented sales professionals(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture does does not promote work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Ridiculous competition with inside sales, when we shout "local" in our Branding(in 18 reviews)

Great team members, but horrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI had the pleasure to work with some incredibly talented people on my team; fun environment; given the opportunity to build lots of skills because you wear multiple hats

Consincredibly incompetent people in management, HR, and benefits; senior management is a bro club; favoritism toward people who went to Georgetown; poor communication between teams; one of the company's values is to "fail fast" but any project that was a bit riskier and did not work out, the team was laid off; pay is terrible (speaking as a non-sales related job)

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter educate your senior management on how to be good managers

Fun, but uncertain.

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFun perks, benefits to working in market, flexible-make your own hours. In early days it was an exciting product that people wanted to talk about. Maybe they'll find money in a new product?

ConsCompany is grasping for straws. Earnings potential is there, but org is always trying to figure out how to properly do business- so goals are always changing. Operations struggle to work alongside outside reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you're doing...looking for other jobs.

All smoke and mirrors

ProsGet to work from home; Amazing insurance; Lots of freedom; No micro-managing; Conventions are super fun but basically a drunk fest

ConsHorrible management; Unrealistic goals; Unprofessional management; Managers were hired into their position instead of working their way up so they don't understand the daily struggles or how to handle many situations

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your meetings with your employees especially the 1:1's; Don't try to encourage them by threatening or lying about the status of their job; Be real and honest; Don't talk to your employees about your personal problems

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

place to start

Proslove the place to work

Conshate the people who work here

Advice to Senior Managementwake up

It's a great place to work

Merchant Services (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsLivingSocial cares about it's employees, even at the lowest pay grade (where I started) they offer the same benefits anyone else can get along with some great employee programs to help.

ConsThe work can be tough, and our business partners can sometimes not be the most understanding. Also, it can be difficult to communicate with other departments.

LivingSocial Team Member responded to this review

Jun 5, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! Communication between departments can be challenging, and it’s something we are constantly working to make better. Be sure to share your ideas and ... More

Fun

Accountant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDifferent industry than generally work in

ConsStability for the future of the company. Really like it, hope they make it.

Fast-paced, highly-collaborative work environment, great people

Event Staff (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgreat people to work with - the fast paced environment lends itself to falling, getting back up, and trying again with the support of your whole team. Learn lots and wear multiple hats to build many skills

Conssometimes feedback can be too fluffy. The company promotes no fear of conflict, but most of time only gives compliments and shout-outs even when not deserved. company-wide decisions are usually kept very secretive with little communication amongst team.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication

Great company

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFun high paced company with a lot of opportunity to try new things

ConsGrew so fast there are almost too many moving pieces/different groups. Things get lost

A one of a kind experience.

ProsReally love the culture and work/life balance. It's a fast paced company where every day is a little bit different! They have great snacks and do lots to make staff is engaged and fulfilled in both work and life.

ConsNo major cons to share. Some days are longer than others. Sometimes find myself working on days off to keep things moving forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep finding ways to let the creativity of your staff shine.

LivingSocial Team Member responded to this review

Jun 5, 2014

Thanks for your review! We’re so happy you feel fulfilled by your role, and we want to keep it that way. You and each of your colleagues are LivingSocial’s best asset. The long days can definitely be ... More

Still chugging along

ProsConsistent pay, tries hard to still be a hot upcoming and functional company that is valuable to its customers.

ConsUnskilled upper management not in touch with what really goes on. Constant change, constant stuggles to keep on even keel, overbearing operations departments that continue to misunderstand the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop fighting, competing internally for the business, and start working as a team. Be aware of how we look from the outside. Be transparent, talk and communicate with people below you and come up with processes that generate creative ideas, so LivingSocial can be competitive. Take care of your employees, LivingSocial seems to be losing a lot of really good ones that other companies are probably glad to hire.

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!