LivingSocial Reviews

Reset
2.9
LivingSocial President and CEO Gautam Thakar
Gautam Thakar

Pros
  • Sales positions are work from home (in 56 reviews)

• Really love the culture and work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture does does not promote work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• He honestly controls mundane tasks and reads employee google chats and again, does nothing to motivate or lead the inside sales team to success (in 18 reviews)

1. A great job!

Former Employee - Photo Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

There are amazing people and experiences.

Cons

It can be an unstable environment and lack of career growth.

2. Online Marketing/Inside Sales

Former Employee - Online Marketing/Inside Sales in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Online Marketing/Inside Sales in Torrance, CA

I worked at LivingSocial

Pros

Great company culture and a lot of great people to work with. The office had a great vibe with a ping pong table and relaxing lounge and stocked kitchen. Hours weren't too bad either.

Cons

The lead generating system was in disarray and left something to be desired. The comp plan was also all over the map. We were part of a large sales force hiring spree and then we were all let go after the new CEO came aboard. 20% workforce reduction left a lot of us without jobs just before the holiday season.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're going in the right direction and set your people up for success. Management needs to be better organized going forward or else this company will continue to shrink and lose market share.

3. Account Executive

I worked at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

Fun product. Work from home. Uncapped potential

Cons

The product is a loss leader, and the best campaigns rarely signed up again, making it very tough to maintain success.

5. Love/Hate Relationship

I worked at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

Loved being creative in creating promotions, working with different types of merchants

Cons

Micro managed by manager, CEO took company in different direction entirely

Advice to Management

We worked best when we were spending money in marketing - need to build the brand as well

6. Outside Sales

I worked at LivingSocial

Pros

Great ramp up salary and nice company to work for. Great incentives and flexible hours. Work from home and many different companies to sell for.

Cons

Training was not the best and you left lacking the knowledge to hit the streets 2 days after training. You are expected to learn everything at training and after training there is no help.

7. Young, ever-changing, clueless environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial

Pros

I was a salesperson, procuring daily deal merchants for the web site. Working autonomously from home was great. No day to day accountability. Provide technology (iPad, Computer, Flip Camera) to do your job. Lots of money spent on perks, jackets, shirts, various other stuff would just show up in the mail. If someone wanted to they could advance to management...but the management jobs were very unstable. Benefits were good.

Cons

Where to start. The company changes constantly. Just when you think you've figured it out, they change. It can be big changes, it can be small changes, but it's frustrating. To be fair, they tell you going into it, it's an ever-changing environment...but they don't give you a chance to get up to speed before it changes again, and these changes negatively impact the overall experience. Comp plan constantly changing, was like rocket science to figure out what one should get paid, you finally just give up and figure it's right. Very difficult to meet goals and quotas. Very unrealistic. Management had to enforce rules you knew they didn't believe in. Mandatory travel for sales events that were useless. Lots of money spent on things that were perks, but really, employees would rather have the pay than the stuff. Last, and this can be a pro or con depending on who you are, but this is a very young company. At seminars kids who probably were 1 year out of college were running the show. It's hard to take a group leader seriously when you know they've had 2 years experience. So, if you're older, like me, you might feel a bit cynical about the culture, and at the same time, feel like a fossil.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

Great Benefits, Work Environment Went Downhill

Former Employee - Senior Production Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Production Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, positive work environment at the beginning, wonderful coworkers, ability to learn about a certain area's small business landscape

Cons

Work environment went downhill after about one year, team was regularly shuffled to different manager(s), employee efforts to exceed expectations were not valued, business focus shifted to purely monetary so we couldn't best serve our clients, started being viewed as a "deal factory" as opposed to a marketing opportunity for small businesses

9. Opportunity Lost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome opportunity to really change the way merchants operate their businesses. The facilities and culture spared no expense and the people are awesome.

Cons

Very little gets executed on. Strategy gets developed behind closed doors by detached executives that haven't a clue as to how the market has and is adapting.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from your feet on the street that are performing well. Leave the ivory tower and get into the weeds so that informed decision are made outside the executive bubble

10. Production

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time

Pros

The people are outstanding and highly motivated

Cons

There is little growth within

11. Smiling and Dialing!

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, cool people, snacks.

Cons

Poor management, impossible goals, bad product.

Advice to Management

Offer more support, encouragement.

RSS Feed </> Embed