LivingSocial Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014

LivingSocial President and CEO Gautam Thakar
Gautam Thakar

Pros
  • Now the only pro is that I work from home (in 47 reviews)

• Fun work environment full of talented sales professionals (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture does does not promote work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Ridiculous competition with inside sales, when we shout "local" in our Branding (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Startup company which should have matured into a company worthy of turning a profit...but hasn't

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed fit working environment with casual atmosphere. Health insurance and 401k match a real treat.

Cons

No ability to move up. No IT team with depth to help facilitate the good ideas that come in. Constantly putting bandaids on gushing wounds instead of fixing the problem. With a new CEO I see big changes and if I were upper management I'd be nervous as all the inane work done under the current CEO will be eradicated. If the company hasn't turned a profit in 7 years I don't see it happening any time soon.

Clean house and bring in fresh thinking people. Just because you're young doesn't mean you bring something to the table. Experience and knowledge are far better than just looking like a hipster. Cut the sales commissions and hold the sales team more accountable for poorly executed deals. Require bonded and licensed merchants to run with your company so you won't be chasing down all the money they are stealing from you in bad deals. Your young mind as a company should have evolved and matured yet you still spend and act like an impetuous child!

Manager

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Social company culture, competitive salary, people are nice, product can be helpful to merchants, organization spends lots of money on incentive trips for employees

Cons

Top heavy organization, company has not turned a profit, sales are trending down, lots of employees who just don't work, lots of turnover

Great concept and product. Revenue goals were unrealistic for certain markets

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment and innovative company. Great training and thorough interviewing process to select top notch employees. Good compensation and benefits

Cons

Get ready to work long hours. The culture does does not promote work-life balance. Too many changes were made without considering the ramifications.

Establish realistic goals for sales teams. Every region/market has different economic challenges. Cannot compare one market to the other.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, opportunity for advancement, transparency of executive team to the company, flexibility. Anyone who does not feel they can approach their manager or their manager's manager should look at themselves. I've worked at several companies and never felt a better "open door policy" then at LivingSocial. Because we are still a new company constantly evolving, if something is broken, we will fix it! The fact that we are still in the early stages as a company yet a leader in a new and innovative way to advertise and reach consumers is still extremely exciting!!!! If you are flexible, hungry and ambitious, you will succeed here.

Cons

The reality is we are still an upstart company with many areas of improvement: management training and development and internal processes. As we continue to evolve and change, make sure the 'right' individuals are being utilized and consulted and not just the 'usual suspects'. Communication between departments has always been an issue and needs to get better.

Recognize that a lot of lower management has never managed before and do need training. Improving their abilities will go a long way to increasing employee satisfaction, retention and the company as a whole. If retention is an issue, don't ignore the tenured, proven successful employees.

I loved working for ls.

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are the number one reason the company is so wonderful.

Cons

You never turn it off. this is not a 9-5.

Disorganized sales organization

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Start up atmosphere was fun. The sales floor is young and really active socially. Great office.

Cons

Unorganized and bad management style. People leave or get fired all the. Ultimately it is a great job if you know how to play the game to get it done. If you don't you will get fired fast.

Updated the product to be more flexible and advantageous to merchants.

Great place to work. It is what you make of it.

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Tons of opportunity for people who are looking to grow and gain exposure to different parts of the business
    - Fun group of co-workers who are passionate, smart, and driven
    - Interesting work
    - Relatively flat hierarchy, senior leadership is generally accessible
    - True entrepreneurship environment, anyone with a good idea can really make an impact

Cons

- Communication amongst teams and groups could be better
    - Things can get a little hectic, but this could also be a pro if you thrive in that type of environment
    - Constant change

- Keep making the work environment fun

Fun at first, then it went downhill FAST

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture- as long as the employees keep it up, this place has amazing coworkers. I worked in the Tucson CS and MS departments and loved most of the people hired. This all changed about a year ago...

Pay- as far as Customer Service jobs go in Tucson, this is tops in pay. Many people think the pay is what it averages out to be including the overtime, but your base salary is what it is.

Cons

Promotions- Mess up at your job ever? Be prepared to watch other, less qualified people get promoted over you (I'm not a bitter person- I was actually promoted several times!), but the truth is, I watched so many qualified workers get passed up because they weren't popular with upper management

Upper Management- these people make me want to scream. They consistently act like a cool club that no one else can be a part of. They protect eachother first, even when some of them do some pretty messed up things.

Stop playing favorites.

LivingSocial Adventures: It is a fun job, as long as it's not your primary one

Former Employee - Experience Coordinator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Experience Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at LivingSocial part-time for less than a year

Pros

You lead lots of fun events and get to be outside a lot. You kayak, canoe, tube down rivers, go on brewery tours, etc. all as a part of the job. Not too hard and the customers are usually pretty easy to get along with unless they are really drunk by the end of it.

Cons

The pay is really bad. Also, at least at the time I was working here, the company didnt pay by the hour, only by the trip (Like $50 for a half-day event, around $75-$85 for a full day event) regardless of how many hours it actually ended up taking. Trips went over the scheduled times often, due to customers not listening to time instructions, customers being drunk and wandering, and traffic from long distances traveled for events. I worked 14hrs one day and still received like $80. So that part really sucked. And you are only paid once per month. Maybe this has changed by now, but in the summer of 2012 this was a constant reality.

Fun for the first few months

I have been working at LivingSocial

Pros

Relaxed Dress Attire, friendly staff and free snacks

Cons

Advancement is extremely limited and highly unlikely. Management is young and inexperienced which leads to a bit of a scramble in various high pressure situations

Consider shaping people for the job they aspire to get. And once they're ready, give them the opportunity to do it.

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!