LivingSocial

Updated August 26, 2014

3.1

LivingSocial President and CEO Gautam Thakar
Gautam Thakar

Pros
  • Now the only pro is that I work from home (in 47 reviews)

• Fun work environment full of talented sales professionals (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture does does not promote work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Ridiculous competition with inside sales, when we shout "local" in our Branding (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, opportunity for advancement, transparency of executive team to the company, flexibility. Anyone who does not feel they can approach their manager or their manager's manager should look at themselves. I've worked at several companies and never felt a better "open door policy" then at LivingSocial. Because we are still a new company constantly evolving, if something is broken, we will fix it! The fact that we are still in the early stages as a company yet a leader in a new and innovative way to advertise and reach consumers is still extremely exciting!!!! If you are flexible, hungry and ambitious, you will succeed here.

Cons

The reality is we are still an upstart company with many areas of improvement: management training and development and internal processes. As we continue to evolve and change, make sure the 'right' individuals are being utilized and consulted and not just the 'usual suspects'. Communication between departments has always been an issue and needs to get better.

Recognize that a lot of lower management has never managed before and do need training. Improving their abilities will go a long way to increasing employee satisfaction, retention and the company as a whole. If retention is an issue, don't ignore the tenured, proven successful employees.

Fun at first, then it went downhill FAST

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture- as long as the employees keep it up, this place has amazing coworkers. I worked in the Tucson CS and MS departments and loved most of the people hired. This all changed about a year ago...

Pay- as far as Customer Service jobs go in Tucson, this is tops in pay. Many people think the pay is what it averages out to be including the overtime, but your base salary is what it is.

Cons

Promotions- Mess up at your job ever? Be prepared to watch other, less qualified people get promoted over you (I'm not a bitter person- I was actually promoted several times!), but the truth is, I watched so many qualified workers get passed up because they weren't popular with upper management

Upper Management- these people make me want to scream. They consistently act like a cool club that no one else can be a part of. They protect eachother first, even when some of them do some pretty messed up things.

Stop playing favorites.

LivingSocial Adventures: It is a fun job, as long as it's not your primary one

Former Employee - Experience Coordinator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Experience Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at LivingSocial part-time for less than a year

Pros

You lead lots of fun events and get to be outside a lot. You kayak, canoe, tube down rivers, go on brewery tours, etc. all as a part of the job. Not too hard and the customers are usually pretty easy to get along with unless they are really drunk by the end of it.

Cons

The pay is really bad. Also, at least at the time I was working here, the company didnt pay by the hour, only by the trip (Like $50 for a half-day event, around $75-$85 for a full day event) regardless of how many hours it actually ended up taking. Trips went over the scheduled times often, due to customers not listening to time instructions, customers being drunk and wandering, and traffic from long distances traveled for events. I worked 14hrs one day and still received like $80. So that part really sucked. And you are only paid once per month. Maybe this has changed by now, but in the summer of 2012 this was a constant reality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun for the first few months

I have been working at LivingSocial

Pros

Relaxed Dress Attire, friendly staff and free snacks

Cons

Advancement is extremely limited and highly unlikely. Management is young and inexperienced which leads to a bit of a scramble in various high pressure situations

Consider shaping people for the job they aspire to get. And once they're ready, give them the opportunity to do it.

Struggling Company... Don't Believe the Hype!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Specialist  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual Dress Code. You get benefits and 3 weeks worth of PTO day one of employment. They offer free beer and wine everyday after 3:30 to booze up the employees.

Cons

This place is crazy! LivingSocial is probably one of the most unethical companies I've ever had the displeasure of working for without a doubt. They have a "churn and burn" office environment and they are constantly getting rid of employees left and right for "poor performance" and other false allegations. This company was sued for not treating their employees well and they are still up to the same tricks. The training is horrible. It doesn't prepare you for the day-to-day at all. With the exception of like 1 manager, the rest of them are inexperienced, unprofessional kids who have never managed a team a day in their lives. They have no leadership skills and think being a good manager is having a pow wow every morning. The Director is disconnected from the job and is merely a puppet. He honestly controls mundane tasks and reads employee google chats and again, does nothing to motivate or lead the inside sales team to success. The goals are completely ridiculous and those who are hitting them are getting help from the managers. The pay is an absolute joke and as a sales person, you are never in a position to calculate your own commission. They basically tell you what it is. The stars pretty much have to align for you to get paid a decent check. The 70K annual salary that they put in your offer letter is NOT TRUE! Bottom line is everything depends on your market and the quality of the subscribers in the market you are given which sadly, as a sales person, we don't control. The favorites are given decent markets and deals and the others are left to starve. There is no loyalty given to employees and they are never that invested in keep their sales people which is why they are ALWAYS hiring. It's not because they are growing leaps and bounds. It's because since I've been there at the end of last year, more than half of the office has been given the boot. Overall, I would never recommend this company to anyone. Perhaps the DC office is better and maybe even working for the outside sales team could be better, but the inside sales office is a toxic, toxic place and I wouldn't even attempt to give this a try had I known what I know now.

Honestly, good luck. Your subscribers are unsubscribing by the thousands, your employees are jumping ship, merchants absolutely hate working with you (less than 16% approval rating by merchants) and you are doing nothing to elevate your brand and business model. Look into what Groupon is doing... I know your employees are going to competitors and looking into them as a means to escape. Furthermore, I would say stop wasting money hiring people you are just going to end up firing. Your sales strategy of quantity versus quality doesn't translate with human capital. The more people you hire is just wasting your money because about 3 months in, people realize this job is horrible and the environment is toxic.

LivingSocial has been a great place to start my engineering career

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible in terms of working in office or remotely. Facilities are nice and perks good. Co workers are all very talented and enjoyable to work with. Kinda like a big family.

Cons

Not a lot of guidance for new developers. Although it really depends on your team. Some tech leads are better than others and will make time to pair with you or review your code before you deploy.

Management gets a lot of grief from the press, but people who work here genuinely want to make a successful product. Unfortunately, the outlook doesn't look so good for the industry in general. I would tell mgmt to drive decisions more with data and not get carried away with trends or the whims of the Sales team.

LivingSocial Response

Jun 5, 2014Team Member

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s great to hear that you heart your LS family as much as we do. We’ve heard you on training resources and are doing something about it: We’re ... More

Great place to work, and beef up your resume!

Former Employee - Merchant Services  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchant Services in Tucson, AZ

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Culture, everyone is very nice.

Cons

It's a call center in Tucson, very rigid and strict on clocking in and out.

I really enjoyed my boss, she was very insightful for my career growth. Great support!

Start up with inexperienced Leadership

Current Employee - Account Executive, Outside Sales
    Current Employee - Account Executive, Outside Sales

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The first 2yrs. when you could launch your own Market and build commissions based off individual contribution.
    Sales Incentives (ie. VIP trips, Whale Winners Circle)
    The Relationships built internally. & with Merchants.

Cons

Lacks Executive Leadership and experience.
    Lacks product initiatives and new growth.
    Inexperienced Management.
    Inexperienced Sales Team.
    Overall message from Executive Team lacks transparency.

Be 100% transparent with your employees.
    Support and LISTEN to your reps on the ground level.

happy employee

I have been working at LivingSocial

Pros

office envirnoment and the coworkers are awesome

Cons

i cannot complain about anything. great first job

continue to make adjustment to us

Not good

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free snacks, alcohol, an occasional catered lunch and a big brand name to put on your resume. Some of your coworkers may be awesome, too. It honestly just depends on the department you get stuck in (keyword: stuck). Some departments do have flexible work-from-home policies, as well as a more 'come and go as you please, but get your work done' philosophy. This is great.

Cons

So, so many cons:

Ethics - If you go to HR with a complaint, they'll figure out a reason to make you feel like you did it to yourself. You have zero protection as an employee. Especially as a minority, so watch out!

Office dynamics - Things are tense.The company is struggling financially and always trying a get-money-quick initiative to keep things moving. Management is also horrible, so all of that 'company culture' backfires.

Management, management, management. In my department, they micro-managed, the work flow was inconsistent (which is your fault because you didn't make any additional work for yourself to help the company), and they have zero concept of open or honest communication. They're also the same age as the rest of the employees, so there's no maturity or experience in people skills.

Customer/Merchants - Consumers have lost interest in comparison to our competitors. And merchants really don't like working with LivingSocial.

No career development or growth opportunities whatsoever.

Do right by your employees. Stop stepping all over people and ruining their entire experience with micromanagement, favoritism and work politics. Grow up.

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!