LivingSocial

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014

LivingSocial President and CEO Gautam Thakar
Gautam Thakar

Pros
  • Only good thing is that you are able to work from home if you work on the Outside Team (in 56 reviews)

• Great work life balance and focus on promoting good honest work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales team isn't held accountable, low end of the pay scale, little to no work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Ridiculous competition with inside sales, when we shout "local" in our Branding (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Toddler Company in Need of Parental Direction

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits and 401K vested from Day 1. Many positions allow for work from home.

Cons

Confused, bewildered and unfocused. In late Spring the company had a massive 100 day plan that included hiring over a hundred new employees. As of today 20% of the work force was reduced in a massive layoff. In general this company is behind the times with technology and marketing. More importantly leadership is stagnant and inflexible. While there is a new CEO his plan has not been outlined nor communicated other than some 'listening' breakfasts and the massive layoffs and closing of an office that the paint is barely dry on. There is NO security here. Stay away. There is hardly a focused effort on the company's direction or product offerings.

Merchants....make sure you aren't on the end of the stick that finds Living Social does not have the 'float' money to pay you what it owes you. Careful.

We understand that the company needs to make some changes in order to be profitable. The changes that need to be made are based at the foundation of the company. Get rid of the old guard who were rooted in doing things the old way....and wake up to the world that knows that email as a key function of the business is no longer innovative. Your current staff is now readying their resumes as they have no trust in the current company's opportunities or leadership. You will find it difficult to attract new talent when you need it because the company is viewed as unstable (and it is).

Free Fall Fast

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- unique culture
    - energetic people
    - convenient location
    - 401k and benefits

Cons

- pay
    - lack of direction and vision
    - poor management and leadership
    - favoritism, good ole boys club
    - lack of development opportunities
    - lack of innovation
    - poor economic understanding

This place is going downhill fast and everyone knows it but refuses to take action. Every time LS is in the news, it's never a good thing. From reports of losses, assaults, layoffs, it's always a negative depiction. I'm not optimistic for this company as they always show that they are incapable of progressing and rebounding from mistakes. In general, my experience was less than pleasant simply because everyone wants to TALK and have their own agenda without actually doing it or doing it effectively. Many times folks work would contradict others. Company looks to be working towards focusing more which is good. The new CEO seems to be on the right page but needs to clean the house at the executive, vp, and director levels.

- Get up and work smart or get out
    - Be upfront and honest with your people
    - develop and aid your people in being successful
    - Bring in winners and A-talent capable of successfully driving positive change

Many years of experience here -- went from great, to shaky, to tiresome. No corporate mission = nothing to believe in.

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People. They are creative, driven, go-getters, fun, clever. Office environment, flexibility in schedule, vacation policy (none). Location. Block from White House, mass transit everywhere.

Cons

Poor at executing an innovating. Too many big thinkers for our own good. The favoritism displayed here is absurd. Too much "talent" taken from within -- we need more experts rather than rejiggering current staff to meet different goals.

There are no clear growth paths -- for the company itself or for employees professionally in their career. None at all. Need to hire more experts, less rejiggering of current staff people "that person knows the company."

Not what it once was.

Current Employee - Consumer Services Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Consumer Services Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay and some of your coworkers.

Cons

The leadership is grasping at straws- There are only a few of the SDM's who actually seem to know what they are doing sometimes. The center director Linnea is actually very concerned with making the center efficient and still a honestly good place to work. One SDM won't say who, but he is a slave driver. The Supervisors well, only a few are good at what they do. Some are puppets and do not know how to make a rep better. After all isn't that the point of a "coaching" a joke. They have a large que of emails so the mandatory overtime is endless. How are they dealing with this? Making the reps work overtime every week, for months now. They know that its causing people to get burnt out and they honestly don't care. People are terrified to call out sick so EVERYONE is getting sick. People hacking up a lung on the phone not very professional. Its making the job harder because you find less motivation to help the people who need it. The process for people who buy from this company is worse, you have to redeem a voucher 98% of the time and if its not a restaurant deal forget it. Its either a crappy product or appointments get cancelled because the merchant doesn't want to serve those that bought the service at a discount.

Figure out the email que. Have some compassion for the employees who have made you look great. We had the "best" customer service because we were fast to respond, friendly, and caring. These traits all go away when you are working your employees to exhaustion. People are getting sick and your moral has hit rock bottom just about everyone is looking for a way out LivingSocial wasn't like this when I started. find a way to fix it. Stop with the favoritism as well doesn't bode well.

Nothing more than a "Hip" call center now

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Torrance, CA

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool perks
    Decent salary
    Great benefits

Cons

Poorly trained and inexperienced management
    No sales training or development
    Ridiculous quotas
    High turnover rate
    Deceptive and misleading sales practices
    Mistreatment of tenured employees
    Not a long term career path
    Company may not be around much longer

Be more transparent with your employees on the direction of the company. Don't mislead people into believing one thing when your plans are clearly another. People really do appreciate honesty more than anything else. The sales people do hold value to company whether you choose to believe it or not.

Awesome people, unattainable goals

I have been working at LivingSocial

Pros

Everyone at LS is awesome. Laid back environment, great pay, AMAZING benefits

Cons

Too much change. Goals are not reachable especially in 2014

Go back to the way things used to be. You had happy people who loved their jobs!

Excellent experience

Former Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- High level of respect across the different groups
    - Amazing Culture
    - Smart, motivated team

Although I was on a short term contract, I cannot say enough wonderful things about LivingSocial. One thing I was impressed with,w as the high level of respect in different areas of the company. Everyone's opinions are valued and considered. It was refreshing! The culture was laid back and fun. it did not feel like work, and every day I looked forward to being there. They also are super flexible and allow remote work and work from home. I was equally impressed with the people. Although young, for the most part, very motivated and sharp.

Cons

Glassdoor will not allow me to submit without one...so...If I had to pick, I would say that at my level in my career there were not a lot of people in my division I could learn from. it is a very young team.

Still here!

I worked at LivingSocial

Pros

The best thing about working here is working from home.
    Great benefits

Cons

I have years here and it is the only job where one quarter you feel like you are on your way to getting promoted and the next you feel you may not have a job!
    Expect things to change dramatically every other quarter and just when you feel like you got it, it changes again!
    Even management has no idea where goals come from. They just get a number and spread that number out and you never get that goal on time to even know what you are going to be up against.
    Most companies will pre plan, here is what ran last year in Q3 and here is how much revenue was brought in, they may give you an increased goal based on those numbers with a focus on rerunning those merchants and adding new merchants but not Living Social because those accounts are not even yours anymore, they have been assigned to various inside sales people because they have changed concepts or it did not meet new thresholds or could just be stuck in pending assignment, whatever the reason by the time these merchants are contacted they feel like you sold them and abandoned them. They may have had issues you are just know finding out about which you could have uncovered right away had the relationship not been immediately given away.
    Deals no longer perform the same as they use to but that doesn't stop the goals from increasing.
    Voices are not heard, if you do not drink the kool-aid, you are considered negative!
    The thing with kool-aid drinkers is that real issues never make there way to the top!
    You CAN NOT grow and change to be better without knowing what can make you better as a company.
    Great markets have been destroyed because they care more about what concept the money comes from instead of the fact that the money is coming!

Fight to make this company what it use to be!

Lots of change but for the better.

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at LivingSocial

Pros

Solid culture. Passionate people. New CEO with great vision. A truly fun place to work. The company really values its employees and is trying to do right by our customers.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate and satellite offices but our new CEO seems to really understand our challenges and is working on implementing solutions.

Right size the organization. Trust your leaders. Invest in both people and technology. Understand the value of a world class customer support team.

Fast-paced, opportunities for growth

I worked at LivingSocial (more than an year)

Pros

Incredibly intelligent and energetic colleagues. Learned a ton in a short amount of time.

Cons

Sales team isn't held accountable, low end of the pay scale, little to no work-life balance.