Liz Claiborne

Be The First To
Add Photos

Liz Claiborne CEO and Director William L. McComb

William L. McComb

Pros
  • Good work life balance, Close early before all holidays(in 6 reviews)

• In NY, 21 days of vacation out of the gate, frequent sample sales, matching 401K, good health insurance(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • difficult to maintain a work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

• Senior management have their favorites(in 4 reviews)

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work before the "breakup".

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIndustry Leader. Smart and innovative. Believed in true partnerships. Invested in their people.Focused on the end consumer. Great brands. Great systems. Great infrastructure.

ConsLike all public companies focused on the bottom line, end of quarter can be crazy. Had to do more with less before any other company ever uttered those words.Very process driven, you have to like that to do well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the end consumer and you will win.

Great for Fashion career-minded & new grads

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge apparel manufacturer with awesome opportunity for advancement, 4 weeks vacation, Summer fridays, Stock options, annual bonuses

ConsNone, but you will earn your pay.

Miss this company every day

Brand Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people, innovative processes, ability for growth. Had the chance to travel for them for about five years and they always did it right...safe and classy. Management was well trained and were always looking for good growth opportunities for their staff.

ConsThe opportunities are limited now due to change in overall company. Pay was good but raises were very small typically. Most jobs are in NY so limited availability in this area.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience overall

ProsWork/life balance
    Always something interesting going on at the company

ConsNot a lot of confidence in executive team

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize people's work and what they can offer

Excellent Place To Work If You Are A Hard Worker

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou are expected to do your job with minimum need for supervision. You work as hard as you would if it were your own business.

ConsIf you are the type that requires a lot of structure to be productive than you should go to a more corporate company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you encourage your workers to have a entreprenurial style then the compensation/title increases should keep pace.

It's hard to review such a large company since each division has its own pros and cons.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have very decent and competitive benefits including unlimited sick days for corporate salaried employees. Competitive salaries and summer hours.

ConsSince the day I started both of the divisions I was working for were poorly managed and losing money. They do not work on personal and career development at all. Because of that the managers are never reviewed by subordinates and are often unprofessional. HR was never pleasant to deal with, but I'm sure they are the same at every large corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire corporate associates to anonymously and confidentially review their managers. Teach your corporate managers how to properly manage!

This was my first job after I graduated from college. It was a great training ground for the fashion industry,

Merchandiser (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent industry training. Many places to move within the company. Strong business relationships. Bought new, exciting brands like Juicy Couture into the mix. Sample sales!

ConsBrand became watered- down. Too many Liz-brands that didn't differentiate enough from each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe LIZ brand is still powerful but there is a strong need to redefine it or re-invent it for today's market.

Great people, not so much the company...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Great benefits - 21 days PTO, unlimited sick days, summer hours
    - Amazing AMAZING people. Communication is very open and employees are constantly helping you out if you need. It is very laid back - I saw a review about how there was a lot of office gossip and chitchatting. From my point of view, yes there was gossip and chit chat, but that's expected! People know when they need to get down to business and they work hard. We were not slackers, at least not in my division. I learned so much during my time at Liz...

Cons- Bad leadership (Bill McComb) and instability of company. Employees are jumping ship because they fear they aren't safe in the long term ...and who can blame them? With all the layoffs and change within the company, no one feels safe. Hopefully Liz (now 5th and Pacific...) will come around and make a comeback. But it has lost its spark, and its direction.

Advice to Senior Managementget it together man!!

Rollercoaster ride of highs & lows due to frequent re-organization of company by sr. mgmt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent benefits - but only for those who are hired in NY- if you work for one of the divisions in LA, you may not receive the same package.
    In NY, 21 days of vacation out of the gate, frequent sample sales, matching 401K, good health insurance. Great group of people, many with long careers in the industry - good place to learn about the wholesale fashion business.
    Some of my very best, challenging & productive work years were spent there - I'm proud to be an alumni.

ConsLiz Claiborne was founded as a company with forward-thinking respect for its employees & the core of that has survived on the corporate level - however, its brands have increasing autonomy - not all of them share the same values. It's a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiz Claiborne has a legacy of delivering to its accounts well made, innovative product in a timely fashion - its wholesale backbone & team of experienced professionals are a valuable resource.

Good

Manager, Product Development (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you want to learn about product development process this is a good place.

ConsNot a focused company, constant changing of direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you downsize emplyees you should not ban them from being hired by other divisions of the company-that is disgraceful.

Worked for Liz Claiborne? Contribute to the Community!