Liz Claiborne

Updated October 4, 2014
3.3

Liz Claiborne CEO and Director William L. McComb
William L. McComb

Pros
  • Good work life balance, Close early before all holidays (in 6 reviews)

• In NY, 21 days of vacation out of the gate, frequent sample sales, matching 401K, good health insurance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is not respected and you are required to continually go above and beyond with no recognition for your efforts (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management have their favorites (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Liz Claiborne gave me the opportunity to work with some of the best creative talent out there.

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in-house corporate, I had the privilege of mentoring less experienced colleagues while learning so much from the divisional directors that I reported to. Since we were on the same "team" as the client, there was an ease about the whole process of providing smart design solutions that fulfilled the needs of this Fortune 500 company. Budgets were somewhat flexible and this allowed us to hire some of the most gifted creative talents out there.

Cons

Leadership within the divisions that I handled on an ongoing basis was excellent but there were some rather inflexible and difficult personalities that I came up against along the way. That is, of course, to be expected. In the long run, my Creative Director made sure that each Art Director was working with divisional heads in harmony so if the pairing was not running smoothly, adjustments in partnering were made.

Designer

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture, management, benefits, vacation days

Cons

Hours are too long, pay low

Great place to work before the "breakup".

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Industry Leader. Smart and innovative. Believed in true partnerships. Invested in their people.Focused on the end consumer. Great brands. Great systems. Great infrastructure.

Cons

Like all public companies focused on the bottom line, end of quarter can be crazy. Had to do more with less before any other company ever uttered those words.Very process driven, you have to like that to do well.

Keep focusing on the end consumer and you will win.

Great for Fashion career-minded & new grads

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large apparel manufacturer with awesome opportunity for advancement, 4 weeks vacation, Summer fridays, Stock options, annual bonuses

Cons

None, but you will earn your pay.

Miss this company every day

Former Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, innovative processes, ability for growth. Had the chance to travel for them for about five years and they always did it right...safe and classy. Management was well trained and were always looking for good growth opportunities for their staff.

Cons

The opportunities are limited now due to change in overall company. Pay was good but raises were very small typically. Most jobs are in NY so limited availability in this area.

Good experience overall

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time

Pros

Work/life balance
    Always something interesting going on at the company

Cons

Not a lot of confidence in executive team

Recognize people's work and what they can offer

Excellent Place To Work If You Are A Hard Worker

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are expected to do your job with minimum need for supervision. You work as hard as you would if it were your own business.

Cons

If you are the type that requires a lot of structure to be productive than you should go to a more corporate company.

When you encourage your workers to have a entreprenurial style then the compensation/title increases should keep pace.

It's hard to review such a large company since each division has its own pros and cons.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have very decent and competitive benefits including unlimited sick days for corporate salaried employees. Competitive salaries and summer hours.

Cons

Since the day I started both of the divisions I was working for were poorly managed and losing money. They do not work on personal and career development at all. Because of that the managers are never reviewed by subordinates and are often unprofessional. HR was never pleasant to deal with, but I'm sure they are the same at every large corporation.

Require corporate associates to anonymously and confidentially review their managers. Teach your corporate managers how to properly manage!

This was my first job after I graduated from college. It was a great training ground for the fashion industry,

Former Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time

Pros

Excellent industry training. Many places to move within the company. Strong business relationships. Bought new, exciting brands like Juicy Couture into the mix. Sample sales!

Cons

Brand became watered- down. Too many Liz-brands that didn't differentiate enough from each other.

The LIZ brand is still powerful but there is a strong need to redefine it or re-invent it for today's market.

Great people, not so much the company...

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

- Great benefits - 21 days PTO, unlimited sick days, summer hours
    - Amazing AMAZING people. Communication is very open and employees are constantly helping you out if you need. It is very laid back - I saw a review about how there was a lot of office gossip and chitchatting. From my point of view, yes there was gossip and chit chat, but that's expected! People know when they need to get down to business and they work hard. We were not slackers, at least not in my division. I learned so much during my time at Liz...

Cons

- Bad leadership (Bill McComb) and instability of company. Employees are jumping ship because they fear they aren't safe in the long term ...and who can blame them? With all the layoffs and change within the company, no one feels safe. Hopefully Liz (now 5th and Pacific...) will come around and make a comeback. But it has lost its spark, and its direction.

get it together man!!