Liz Claiborne

Updated November 17, 2014
3.2

Liz Claiborne CEO and Director William L. McComb
William L. McComb

Pros
  • Good work life balance, Close early before all holidays (in 6 reviews)

• In NY, 21 days of vacation out of the gate, frequent sample sales, matching 401K, good health insurance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • During the last years there, Senior management was poor and was forced to sell off divisions and eliminate entire departments (in 5 reviews)

• The work/life balance is not respected and you are required to continually go above and beyond with no recognition for your efforts (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, very underrated

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Great management -- trusting enough to let you do your work but supportive when needed.

Cons

Budget challenges not of the current leadership's making.

Miss this company every day

Former Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, innovative processes, ability for growth. Had the chance to travel for them for about five years and they always did it right...safe and classy. Management was well trained and were always looking for good growth opportunities for their staff.

Cons

The opportunities are limited now due to change in overall company. Pay was good but raises were very small typically. Most jobs are in NY so limited availability in this area.

Treasury Intern

Former Employee - Treasury Intern in North Bergen, NJ
    Former Employee - Treasury Intern in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at Liz Claiborne as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Valuable experience, helpful mentorship, included in many senior meetings and important processes

Cons

sometimes limited amount of work

lengthen the internship to more than 10 weeks to further enrich intern experience

FUN, but uncertain future overall

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Time Off and Flexible. great place

Cons

no room for growth unfortunately

great place to work for but no room for growth. hopefully company turns around and sees positivie gain. Hopefully start to hire

Great Experience

Former Employee - Merchandising Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandising Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Amazing experience, learned a lot, everyone that I worked with was nice, willing to teach me and help me with anything. Would love to work there again. The internship program was very well structured and had great events.

Cons

No compensation for interns. Also would have liked more opportunity to apply for full time position.

Good foundation.

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Smart leaders. Even after re-structure. Hard working field employees running with each and every change the organization goes through. :)

Cons

Need a new identity. The traditional customer no longer exists and the customer that you are after needs to know you are there.

Advise would be to spend more money marketing the new liz brand to it's new target audience. Complete the launch with a fine fragrance update!

great employer

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

It is fun, the upper management is great, HR is wonderful, the stores are beautiful and the clothing quality is very good. Customers are women with discerning taste and like to be loyal.

Cons

you are working with women of all ages and there is sometimes drama

great job, try to incorporate more choices within clothing lines, more co-ordinating pieces, sometimes nothing really goes with anything else in the same collection, and it is hard to sell "outfits" or extra co-ordinating options to customers. if there were more "nuetral" pieces upselling would be easier and sales would be higher.

Very fair company to work for.

Former Employee - Project Manager in North Bergen, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in North Bergen, NJ

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They liked to promote from within, women had the same chances as men for promotion. If you worked hard, you didn't need to ask for a raise or promotion.

Cons

During the last years there, Senior management was poor and was forced to sell off divisions and eliminate entire departments.

Upper management should have been replaced many years ago but the CEO was kept on too long leading to the ultimate deterioration of a once great company.

not bad at store level, Sad they closed

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seaside, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seaside, OR

I worked at Liz Claiborne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, vacation, sick days, flexible, great training, very good at the store level, but higher ups in the company thought of themselves first.

Cons

company sold out to JC Penny's, poor management of the company by the president tried to target a new customer instead of focusing on the existing ones.

should have stuck with what they were doing for the original Liz Claiborne brand and not changed to Isaac Mizrahi he ruined the brand most of the things he designed were very very ugly!

Liz Claiborne gave me the opportunity to work with some of the best creative talent out there.

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working in-house corporate, I had the privilege of mentoring less experienced colleagues while learning so much from the divisional directors that I reported to. Since we were on the same "team" as the client, there was an ease about the whole process of providing smart design solutions that fulfilled the needs of this Fortune 500 company. Budgets were somewhat flexible and this allowed us to hire some of the most gifted creative talents out there.

Cons

Leadership within the divisions that I handled on an ongoing basis was excellent but there were some rather inflexible and difficult personalities that I came up against along the way. That is, of course, to be expected. In the long run, my Creative Director made sure that each Art Director was working with divisional heads in harmony so if the pairing was not running smoothly, adjustments in partnering were made.