Liz Claiborne Reviews

1. Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

The people are really nice and easygoing. I barely had to stay late - basically 9-5 job.

Cons

There's way too much gossip and drama (but then again, most companies are like this). Also, the work is too relaxed. Everyone spends a lot of time chit chatting rather than doing actual work.

Advice to Management

During my time, I've seen many people come and go. I really wish Liz Claiborne retained those who actually provided their time and effort in the company.

2. Has seen its better days

Former Employee - Store Manager in Harriman, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Harriman, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

They had a great benefit package, although it would have been nice to have
    a pension out of it.

Cons

Has sold off so much of their brands acquired in the past that they have lost a great number of their customers, yet expect Mangers to convert by selling low quality "fashion".

Advice to Management

Too late to offer advice for Liz. Looks like they will never get back that classic line, have lost their
    base of shoppers and instead cater to the teeny boppers by invbesting in all the kiddie lines....DKNY, Lucky, Juicy, Kensie....

Glad to be out of there

3. Past its "Hey Day"

I have been working at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Good work/life balance, flexible for mothers, good benefits. Decent discounts on products. Excellent legacy in apparel industry.

Cons

promotions and salary are arbitrary. No path for advancement. They thinned out much of the company over the past year without thinking about how lay offs would affect the operations first. You have to know people to get anything done. Poor communication between teams - people constantly ignore emails and phone calls from colleagues within the company.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Stop wasting money on useless office redesigns and collateral.

5. low pay hard work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Liz Claiborne

Pros

great discounts on a variety of brands. opportunity to work at a variety of stores. opportunity to learn different aspects of the retail world.

Cons

The work/life balance is not respected and you are required to continually go above and beyond with no recognition for your efforts.

Advice to Management

Respect ALL levels of employees. Don't treat people as if they are dispensible. You gain loyalty by treating people with respect.

6. Observations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellenton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellenton, FL

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Benefits package was great until they cut benefits and added deductables

Cons

Lack of communication between management and employees

Advice to Management

Give recognition when earned

7. No work life balance!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Good benefits package. You can use your employee discount at other Liz Claiborne owned brands.
    Compensation was decent.

Cons

Poor training, corporate makes lots of mistakes with marketing, payroll, etc.

Advice to Management

Better training program from corporate office to field managers, to store team.

8. Liz Claiborne, a company that has seen better days

I have been working at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Great place for entry level individuals to start, but not great growth potential from that point on.
    The company fails to recognize their internal employees versus hiring from outside.

Cons

Benefits are not in line with other corporations

Advice to Management

The need to recognize talent and reward them as necessary

9. Enjoyed my years there

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Good work/life balance with the job I was in
    Great benefits for women
    Monthly clothing allowance
    Worked with some amazing women

Cons

Management didn't always listen to what customers were telling them
    Stock levels in department stores became overinflated due to the push to sell more - not sell what was appropriate to the size of the store

Advice to Management

Take a step back and look at what the product looks like in a store other than Macy's Herald Square

10. Not bad for first job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Liz Claiborne offers a competitive wage when compared to competitors. Also, the store staff is very small, so minimal mistakes and communication errors are made.

Cons

Still, there is very bad communication with senior level management. Employee politics occur and are unfair if you don't "play the game".

Advice to Management

Please pay more attention to your employees and watch out for store managers that are taking advantage of the system.

11. Once a fine vessel. Now it's the Titanic.

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Liz Claiborne

Pros

Great work life balance. Good for working mothers. Great vacation and summer hours too. Lots of sample sales. Some are able to get promoted quickly once they find their niche.

Cons

A lot of amazing people got downsized. So many women exec's once worked their magic there and now it's a boys club.
    Too much money is being paid to exec's making poor decisions that ended great brands and great account relationships.
    Morale is at an all time low and management has their head in the clouds.
    Loved the morning email announcements. Too bad I already heard the headlines on my commute in on the radio. Very considerate of you to let us know our brand is sold or discontinued.

Advice to Management

Work on your leadership skills and get some integrity. As reported in WWD Dec 08, the board of directors voted to give bonuses to maintain top talent. While in November 08 the top talent accidentally sent an email out to all employees noting no pay increase, no bonus. Its hard to have respect for that type of leadership.