Lloyd Group Reviews

Adam Eiseman

Good people, decent work

Current Employee - Internship  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Internship in New York, NY

I have been working at Lloyd Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

People are phenomenal. Everyone is welcoming, and everyone is legitimately a good person to hang out with. Lots of company events and parties that everyone always goes to, working here is guaranteed to be a good time at least socially.

Cons

Work can get tedious, but such is life with most MSP's. Lots of phone calls and documentation red tape; documentation for a lot of things is either outdated or not very helpful, but the documentation is still treated as gospel.

Update the client documentation!!

High stress, high workload, low pay

Current Employee - Escalation Analyst I  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Escalation Analyst I in New York, NY

I have been working at Lloyd Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A lot of the colleagues are great people to work with
    - Good job for someone with NO experience, stay here for 2 years at max!
    - Receive vacation days up front
    - They will reimburse your certifications

Cons

- The office is not pleasant. Unfortunately the lease has been renewed and they will be here for a long time
    - Extremely overworked, you will burn out. They will notify you that you will be participating in "on-call" once a quarter, FALSE, it is 2 times a quarter, and up to 3 even. That means for 2-3 weeks out of every quarter, you will be working 24 hours a day and receiving calls from ridiculous clients at any time of the night (which you are responsible for answering).
    - High turnover rate. All the good employees who did the grunt of the work have left! In the past year, I have seen about 6 people fired and 10 quit.
    - You will be underpaid and your raises will be BAD. I worked my tail off and received endless praises, but I received a horrible raise!
    - In my one year working here, I have seen the CEO about 6 times! I've moved to a multi billion dollar company and have seen my CEO more than Lloyds in two weeks!
    - Too many managers, half of which are not even technically qualified to be managing you! All the managers do is throw tickets down your throat non stop
    - You will have extremely high stress from your colleagues setting ridiculous expectations to clients. I understand that Lloyd is there to provide the best service, but all this comes at the cost of work/life balance of your employees.
    - Extremely understaffed. More bodies are needed so that overtime is not required.
    - You will be promoted after working hard, but the compensation will not a very small increase.
    - No training, don't expect any help from your manager either, they will tell you to go Google it (I'm not kidding, I've been told this multiple times, this is what happens when your manager is less technical than you!)

- Pay employees properly, especially the employees who are loved by clients and keeping them happy!
    - Retrain managers
    - Fix on-call (especially the frequency!)
    - Reduce favoritism

Pretty Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lloyd Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to learn some things if you dont have any IT experience.

Set work schedule.

Good computers to work with.

Cons

Disorganized structure.

A few people run everything.

A bunch of selfish fools in management.

Too many clients, not enough staff.

Very little room for growth.

Certain departments have it easy, others have it the worst.

Overwork staff.

People get too personal with you and if you dont get as personal with them, you will have a tough time.

Being on-call is probably one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my life.

Salary, benefits, packages are pretty bad.

The office is trash.

People are always in a bad mood.

I was there for one year, I saw about 15 people leave (not get fired). At the time this company had 70 people.

Treat your employees better in terms of work life. Everyone I have spoken with after I left, all told me the same thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work Hard, Play...let me stop, it's just all work

I worked at Lloyd Group full-time

Pros

- The main office is located in the middle of Manhattan, with dozens of restaurants and points of interest to go to after work or during lunch
    - Learning from experience. Lloyd definitely provides you with copious exposure to different programs and systems
    - Getting to interact with people other than your immediate co-workers
    - You are afforded some protection when met with hostile clientele

Cons

- You most likely will have to work through lunch in order to get your assigned daily workload, which, depending on your position, can change at any time.
    - Training is done by sending you right into the field on day 1 and is done almost as a rite of passage
    - When it comes to internal communication, walking on eggshells is as pleasant as walking on sunshine
    - The main office has two pairs of bathrooms with two stalls each. The walls are paper thin and God forbid if you ate something that didn't agree with your digestive system (It's a con where even the most basic needs, such as going to the bathroom and eating, have to be met on a negotiable basis)
    - There's a certain sense of forced pride with forgoing health issues to get work done
    - Company processes are unclear or aren't efficient/effective enough to carry out the primary objective
    - Meetings feel like uncomfortable family reunions, constructive criticism or inquiries are commonly perceived by management, and by association some peers, as an assertive threat to ego whenever a process is challenged
    - The pay is atrocious relative to the ratio of work you are responsible for...which isn't much of a con if you happen to be employed here with your first job
    - Managers are too young to be delegating responsibility competently
    - New hires tend to have little/no IT experience, which is insufferable for young management to handle
    - The culture doesn't seem to truly reflect the workplace (think a mild form of "Initech")
    - Gossip spreads like wildfire, working there is akin to living in a small, rural village
    - The open-door policy is only effective with properly disillusioned managers
    - Setting client expectations is compulsed upon without setting employee expectations from the get-go
    - Office is constantly shifting workspaces, no sense of stability
    - The most positive reviews on this page seem to poorly veil hollow advertising attempts

Not all companies are perfect, even the successful ones. The Lloyd Group shouldn't rectify their mistakes by deleting, belittling, or berating every negative review on their profile page. Also, my intent is not to slander the Lloyd Group gratuitously, but I will share my observations and experiences on what really goes on in the office.

While it's true that the relative translucency of small businesses can help employers communicate with their employees in a direct, efficient way, TLG tends to convert that honest sentiment into a gimmick. The previous reviews seem to imply that you can call the CEO at 2 a.m. to discuss why a client's server is down or which flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream you should get at your local 7-11. The "24/7" notion that previous reviewers had advertised may have derived from the fact that the Lloyd Group provides around-the-clock service for their clients. They use a rotational, on-call service that the engineers (yes, under the technical definition of what an engineer is, they still qualify) participate in once every six weeks, and that their direct supervisors must be available at all times in case of an overnight issue.

Response to the "open-door policy": In order for a business to work, there must be certain information that has to be kept secret from the majority of the office, not just for business sake, but under the jurisdiction of applicable federal, state, and municipal regulations. I would find it highly dubious that any self-respecting company that wishes to stay in business would grant an employee access to personal information about another employee, particularly if there was conflict involved. I also would be hard-pressed to find any financial department willing to give an employee hard evidence of the company's soaring profits so (s)he could use that as leverage for a raise, or revealing everyone's salaries publicly.

While daily exposure to TLG's different departments certainly seems enticing, it does not, as most advertising does, tell you the whole story. I have raised the point about small businesses making effective communication easier to implement. However, that leaves most of the lower tier employees very prone to poor micro-management. The training is mostly done on a trial-by-fire basis and there's very little to no preparation on how to handle the innumerable aspects of end-user servicing, regardless of prior IT experience. In that case, it is ideal for the recent graduate who cannot find a job within his/her field or in general.

The Lloyd Group is definitely the "9-to-5 gig on training wheels". The opportunities offered are ideal to the fresh college graduate that needs to get their feet wet or a career field changer looking for a Jump Zero into the IT field. However, if you cannot stand being severely under-compensated for very long or are a grizzled veteran in the IT industry, I'd strongly recommend you continue your search elsewhere.

Stereotypical example of abusive work environment…oh and very low pay

I worked at Lloyd Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s a great place if you have zero IT experience and need somewhere to start at.

You’ll have the chance to explore most of Manhattan when traveling to different clients throughout the city.

Some of the clients are really nice, friendly, and just pleasant to be around.

Cons

You should not stay here if you plan on furthering your IT skill set and your career in IT. This is literally the bottom of the totem pole in the IT industry. There are no Developers, NOC personnel, DBAs or anything that would be beneficial in developing a diverse IT skill set. If anything it is just different flavors of the helpdesk and employees calling themselves “engineers.” These “engineers” run around Manhattan to different clients troubleshooting random issues such antivirus software, lost emails, failed internet connections, only there’s A LOT of it that burns you out quickly.

The work environment is fairly toxic and you should expect little to no support when you encounter issues.

The turnover rate is through the roof which should be a red flag to anyone who is considering working here. Most employees end up quitting in under a year.

The managers would be completely lost if they were placed into IT roles outside of Lloyd group. Zero knowledge of developing code or anything relevant to major companies that require a skill set along those lines. Again this company is not a good place to be if you are passionate and serious about learning valuable IT skills other companies would want after you leave this place. The most you can hope for is a job working help desk somewhere else. That’s how bare and inadequate the training is here.

Most of the people who work here have no formal training in Computer Science and they actually boast about this as if it’s something to be proud of.

Outright hostile work environment with abusive language and harassment has been observed with little to no correction of managers who actively and regularly engage in such behavior. If the Healthy Workplace Bill ever gets passed in NY they should expect back to back lawsuits in the future.

The pay is incredibly low for the amount of work they expect out of their employees. It’s a slight step up from working in the fast food industry in term of financial compensation. I believe Seattle’s new minimum wage might be tied with Lloyd.

Their marketing department actually takes the time to post glowing reviews on the internet about how great the work life at Lloyd is in order to replenish the ranks of all the former employees who fled the company. That should speak volumes on the workload and conditions at Lloyd Group.

Make sure managers are actually helping their employees when they need support.

Try replacing your current crop of managers and hire supervisors from outside the company who have experience with positions of authority and are competent enough to lead teams. May cost you more now, but it will be beneficial to you in the long run.

Lloyd is a transitional place to go to when you come from a company that was far worse.

I worked at Lloyd Group full-time

Pros

All the work you put in will only pay off when you move on somewhere else.

Cons

Hi turnover.
    Salary is a joke when you compare it to salaries with other companies in the same industry in NYC.
    A pretty picture is painted when you are hired regarding opportunities for growth and compensation.
    Truth is, the only thing that will grow with time is the amount of O/T hours you will put in especially when you are put on salary. Your salary will plateau at the same rate. In some cases, you may end up earning less.
    Be expected to work late nights and weekends.
    Never had a performance review during the time I was there even though I worked in different positions. When a opportunity for a raise was brought into question, the infamous certification rebuttal came up.
    There really is no real HR department or people with an HR background working there.
    There is clear favoritism, among a few staff and management. It seems those are the ones who move up and get raises.
    You will burnt out very quickly at Lloyd.
    Too many young people in management which brings a lack of professionalism because people think it is okay to curse at one another, even at meetings.

Don't abuse and burn out your knowledgeable and hard working employees for they will move one somewhere else.
    Entry levels may save you money now but can hurt you in the long run when your clients start to see what kind of service they are getting and decide to move on somewhere else.
    "Kudos Alerts" don't get your employees bills paid.
    If you appreciate your employees, let it reflect on their salaries.
    A realistic pay structure needs to be put in place. It seems employees salaries are not determined by tenure or technical level. Instead, they are based on who is buddies with who out side of work.

Rollercoaster

I have been working at Lloyd Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Tremendous amount of opportunities, you will move fast if you are ambitious
    - Work hard, play hard. You'll have fun here, for sure.
    - Upper management is serious when it comes to trying to bring the company to the next level

Cons

- Pay is still lacking for anyone below director level
    - Constant changes in terms of process and organizational structure

Continue to be honest with the staff about the future plans. The more forthcoming the better.

Great place to start, not a great place to stay

I have been working at Lloyd Group full-time

Pros

- Great place to learn when you are coming straight out of college. Plenty of hands on experience.
    - Learning how to manage your time when under pressure
    - (Almost) Every person is equally important, expect to be given plenty of responsibilities and chances to prove your value to the company
    - Managers will always make time to listen to your input, your voice will always be heard.

Cons

- Obvious favoritism. If you are not a football fan, or used to be a bartender, you're not as important.
    - Although you will be heard, that doesn't mean anything will be done to change the way things are already working
    - Expect to pay for company related travel expenses out of your own pocket.
    - LOW compensation for the amount of work you do
    - Too much focus on culture and image of the company. Too little focus on actually educating staff to be better engineers.

Let some of the other people shine other than the same people over and over.

Work hard, play hard. But expect more of the work.

I have been working at Lloyd Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is by far one of the best companies I have ever worked for in terms of a young, down-to-earth staff. If you have little-to-no experience, I can't imagine a better opportunity. Lloyd is not afraid to let you get your feet wet immediately. The extra curricular activities are like nothing I have ever seen. Outings galore. Lloyd is also very aware of any weaknesses and I have seen vast improvements in a very short period of time.

Cons

As many others have shared, I feel extremely overworked for the salary I am earning. The common opinion of this company is gain experience, get certifications, and leave within 2-5 years. Instead of tons of extravagant outings, it would be much more appreciated to give more to the employees that give their all every single day. Additionally, there absolutely are favorites here who get to advance and it creates conflict of interest. I always hear about this being a million dollar company, but then I see people leaving and there are rarely raises given. Lastly, even when you make excellent points and voice concern, it feels like no one is listening. Then when things finally break down, you are stuck holding the bag.

It may be time to cut some of the people loose here that just do not mesh well with others; regardless of their time spent with the company. Pay your employees at least a somewhat competitive salary. I am still living check to check and am feeling burnt out. I would honestly say I won't last here more than a few years at this rate. A cheaper insurance plan would also go a long distance. Listen to those who explain that they are frustrated. You are close to losing many of them.

low pay - hard work

Current Employee - IT Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lloyd Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

this company will say they want to grow you, but in reality they dont pay nearly enough for what you go through.

Cons

company has their favorites, and the others get shafted

have solid quarterly, or yearly reviews where employee's can get a chance for a raise

Lloyd Group Response

Aug 8, 2013Executive

We're concerned to hear about your experience. As an employee with 3 years tenure, we're disappointed about your level of satisfaction. Our goal is to provide a defined career path with a clear ... More

Worked for Lloyd Group? Contribute to the Community!