Lloyd's Register Reviews

93 reviews filtered by
3.2
Lloyd's Register CEO Richard Sadler
Richard Sadler

Pros
  • LR places a real focus on workplace culture, work/life balance and personal/professional development (in 18 reviews)

• Good work Environment and Learning Environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many chiefs (mid and senior management) not enough Indians (skilled staff) (in 5 reviews)

• Sometimes too small for significant career opportunities (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company and experience!

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

Excelllent work/life balance (managers do not expect or encourage long hours at the office and are flexible when emergencies arrise); Great benefits including 3% company match on 401k; an option to work a 9/80 schedule; nice building with a free covered parking garage (Houston office); I work with a great team and great management who make coming to work every day enjoyable; I love the kind of work that we do - it's challenging and interesting; the Company and my department really live out our values "We Care, We share our expertise, we do the right thing".

Cons

Salary is not as high as some other competitiors, but the benefits and work/life balance really add to the total compensation.

Advice to Management

I have great managers who make their expectations clear and are very helpful in my career development. However, I have noticed that some employees view LR as a stepping stone to working for bigger companies so mangers should really work on developing and retaining talent.

2. Excellent company. Very secure now that LR has taken over. Great offices and friendly people.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Lloyd's Register

Pros

Can work your way up the org.

Cons

Additional red tape now with LR buyout - good and bad. Decisions take longer but trade off is that the company is more secure.

Advice to Management

Keep putting people/clients first.

Pretty hopeless

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

Come and go as you please. Some good people.

Cons

Totally disjointed. Doing a good job is almost a disadvantage and trying to get things done is slow with so many difficult and silly barriers to overcome.

Advice to Management

'We care, we share' slogan isn't what you do. Get some real technical people in the senior management roles not bean counters.

Hmmmm....

I have been working at Lloyd's Register

Pros

Benefits are good- cafeteria, gym and medical.

Cons

Management is out of touch with reality. People Management skills are lacking.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the clouds.

6. Work in the Energy side of the Organization

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lloyd's Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to pursue your career of choice. I have worked with LR for almost a decade and have worked in several countries and have asked for and received several new opportunities with the organization. The benefits are good and the global support system is great as I can go to almost any country and visit the office and feel a part of the organization. Plenty of room to make a difference and a great management support system. The services that we offer are so expansive, we can almost solve any problem or provide any solution.

One of the best things about this organization is that if you have a great solution and your client values it, you can take the solution and turn it into a product and use this product globally. In addition to this, it is very easy to move up the responsibility ladder if you can give confidence to your management team that you can help support them and your team. This has opened several opportunities for several people within the organization.

One thing about reviews is that you tend to only get negative reviews on a site like this as most of the people looking for jobs are dissatisfied with their current one or let go. Thus it is difficult to see positive reviews, which is why I am leaving one as I am happy with my organization. LR is really a great company and they do care about what people say, thus as a current employee, I am reading these reviews to help address these items.

Cons

The fact that it is a global organization can pose it's challenges. Some team members have a negative attitude and tend to only worry about their issues and not voice their opinions when called upon. As seen on these reviews, some of the management team could use some help, but it goes both ways. I have to do what I can to tell my manager what I feel is an issue. The support services could use some work, specifically IT.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas and taking risks. This could be the best company in the Energy services industry, but we let less crucial items get in the way of potential success. Promote great leaders and maximize team member strengths. Always strive for success and to be the best.

7. Great company to work for

I have been working at Lloyd's Register

Pros

Great benefits, the company events are awesome. Many perks to the job. Deal with clients from many oil companies and good people.

Cons

You cannot move up within your dept…but you can apply outside of the dept.

Nice people but not much opportunity for advancement. Pay is below average.

I have been working at Lloyd's Register

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with and the hours are pretty flexible offering the 9/80 schedule. Good location in Energy corridor.
    Current Benefits are excellent however due to change in 2016.

Cons

Pay is below average and offers very little opportunity for advancement. There are also some clicks in Management and people in senior positions who shouldn't be.

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be significantly higher in order to retain the best employees. Otherwise it will continue to be a revolving door and offer zero stability and progression for the future.

Not open to change

Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Houston, TX

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time

Pros

The company is really big into making it's employees happy with company picnics and such. They are very focused on safety and do lots of lunch and learns. Have a gym in office for employees.

Cons

Favorites are played, and you will be let go if someone doesn't like you without having to be able to prove yourself. Some policies are outdated and some upper management will not even consider changing, as this is how they have always done it, so this must be the right way.

Advice to Management

Be open to change.

Avoid This Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Lloyd's Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits (100% company paid as of 2014); 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off offered in most departments; dollar-for-dollar 3% company match on 401K (used to be 6%); nice building with free parking garage (1330 Enclave Parkway, Houston, TX location); nice holiday dinners given to employees (Thanksgiving potluck & December holiday luncheon with door prizes).

Cons

This used to be a good place to work, but aside from the aforementioned perks, the environment has become toxic and oppressive. Among the company's biggest problems is the favoritism and racism practiced; it has gone on for years. On more than one occasion people who were less competent, less experienced and less educated than their teammates had promotional positions CREATED for them simply because they were friends with the executive who created the promotion. One manager would promote her brown-nosing subordinates first, the ones who ate lunch with her daily and chatted with her a lot; despite the fact that these people spent a lot of time playing on the internet and their phones. Meanwhile, the hard-working members who took on more duties would get promoted much later, if at all. As a result, that department has lost its best people, who got fed up and left the company.

Minorities have sometimes been bypassed for promotions that went to their white teammates who were less experienced, less educated and less competent than they were. This has happened on every level; from clerical support to senior managerial positions. A few minority employees who worked with the company for many years and always received positive annual performance reviews were unceremoniously fired for trumped-up reasons such as “attitude problems” (where there were none) and minor mistakes that could easily have been corrected without reprimand. Senior management turned a blind eye to these matters, and as a result, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) started investigating the company earlier this year; I'm not sure how that turned out.

Bottom line: Regardless of one's background, stay away from this place. Life's too short to work under such BS conditions.

Advice to Management

Nothing that management would listen to; at this point, federal authorities are the only ones who might get through to them.

Lloyd's Register Response

Feb 10, 2015Digital Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback, especially your compliments on how LR looks after its employees.

It was disappointing to read that not all of your experiences at LR have been positive ones. We’d
    ... More

Great for resume and experience, but little else.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Lloyd's Register as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual environment.
    Good work/life balance.
    The team you work with will probably be very competent and cooperative.
    A lot of opportunities to work with others outside your department.

Cons

Little incentive to stay.
    Poor communication occasionally and things fall through the cracks.
    A lot of "throwing under the bus" happening.
    Not a lot of room for growth within the company.

Advice to Management

Show you value your employees more and either be up front about unfavorable situations or risk losing employees that have increased productivity.