Loblaw

Be The First To
Add Photos

Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen G. Weston

Galen G. Weston

Pros:
  • "Work life balance amazing (although this is depending on your boss)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Benefits are reasonable for part time employment"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not all of us are trying to work as part time employees for the rest of our lives, FYI"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Limit of 28 hours/week for part-time (hard to get a full-time position)"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a great experience and would like to go back. If my career ambition permits me to do so.

Summer Student - Store Communications (Current Employee)
    Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsThe are big on developing a culture and they were going though so changes and aquistions but they did a great job of communicating to employees

ConsThere aren't many Con that come to mind

Worked there for 2 Years and was dissatisfied with management in my particular store.

Part Time Clerk (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGood customer service experience for young students

ConsDisorganized chain of command, small growth opportunities. Horrible pay scale

Advice to Senior ManagementGive opportunities to ambitious employees

Cashier (PT)

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-great co workers
    - great environment

Cons- you cant drink water at your station nor sit down gotta stand up for five hours with 15 mins break)
    - collegues get discounts or benefits after six months
     - gotta be available on friday and weekend even though you may not get time slot

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine job for someone who is still in school

Deli Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexibility, some fun energetic people

Conspoor management, no room for growth

Your co-workers begin to feel like a family.

Cashier Loblaws (Current Employee)
    Ajax, ON (Canada)

ProsWork is easy to get a hold of, the supervisors are nice since they all have been in your place before so they know what it's like.

ConsDealing with the public is scary. People are complete jerks the majority of the time so you have to have a strong suit to deal with the general public.

That is a great company to start your career with.

QA Analyst (Current Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of new staff to learn. Great opportunities in terms of career growth and satisfactory compensation. Huge company with its own ways of business.

ConsNo possibility of flexible work hours. Some time you just stuck on your work place. Too much overtime work.

Horribly Managed

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Kamloops, BC (Canada)

Pros-discount card
    -ability to chat with customers
    -benifits
    -some supervisors can be nice

Cons-no respect to the cashiers or other floor members
    -plenty of store gossip
    -horribly managed, to this day after working there for six months, i have never even had a conversation with the store manager
    -supervisors and customer service workers chat during the whole shift while the cashiers and other front end members are hard at work
    -supervisors treat all members of the positions lower than them with no respect
    -supervisors have a poor, unenergetic attitude that has been pointed out to me by customers
    -the union does more harm than good; so many restrictions especially towards part-timers that create stress
    -you only get time off if the people who work there personally like you. 90% of my holiday requests (reasonable time and length requests, too) get denied.
    -The store is often dirty
    -no opportunity for advancement (not speaking for myself, a full timer i had a conversation with hasn't been given any opportunity to advance in the 3 years she has been working there)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have staff-meetings. Show more attention to the cashiers and other entry-level position team members and have a chat with the janitor. It is not a good thing when 4 people report mice in one day.

No growth, low morale, politics

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPeople working with you at store level are mostly friendly but suffer from the 3 things mentioned above.

Stable job. Some good work perks with GoodLife Fitness. Recommend young students to apply with polished resumes.

ConsUnreasonable assignments with very minimum compensation.

High turnover.

Very little incentive to provide good customer service to customers. Pay isn't changed. You are just told to do it.

Do not expect to be trained. Do not expect notices of policy changes, open positions, and more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive incentives - don't make the reward more hours when we are already suppose to be guaranteed hours. This will encourage favouritism and conflict with fellow employees.

Good employees tend to be the ones that had more hours available for them when they first started. I believe all part timers who went through the recruitment process are all potentially great employees but when managers forget to give them hours because of the high turnover and large recruitment it is difficult for in store managers to track the merit of each individual employee. When there are so few hours to give to new employees they have less time and infrequent intervals of which they can learn on their own in the store (they are hardly trained). Managers are surprised when they see a new employee struggle grasping the work when they only have 8 hours a week and most of the eight hours is spent figuring out on their own what to do.

Business Analyst

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsLarge company, can network within company..., great cafeteria, daily sales performance

ConsToo many silos, not enough cohesiveness!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together peeps

Not very eventful

Front End Cashier (Current Employee)
    Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

ProsI've worked at Superstore for over 2 years. Depending on the store you're working at you'll get good hours, you make life long friends and you learn valuable customer service skills.

ConsNever getting trained on anything (uscans or customer service etc) unless you're a "favorite" don't expect to move up in the company. Hard work and dedication is not something they care about or reward you for. Sometimes you'll get the worst customers, but you get used to it eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger breaks would be nice; 15 minutes sometimes doesn't really cut it considering how long we stand on our feet for without walking. Check with supervisors at stores and promote people who aren't favorites would be nice.

Worked for Loblaw? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Loblaw reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Loblaw CEO Galen G. Weston. All 198 reviews posted anonymously by Loblaw employees.