Loblaw

Be The First To
Add Photos

Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen G. Weston

Galen G. Weston

Pros
  • Work life balance amazing (although this is depending on your boss)(in 9 reviews)

• Benefits are reasonable for part time employment(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all of us are trying to work as part time employees for the rest of our lives, FYI(in 11 reviews)

• Pay was crappy, benefits were basic and work life balance was non existent(in 5 reviews)

great company, poor managment

Prosgreat salary and compensation packages if you can bargain for the right price.

Consdepending on your district manager and HR manager they will take advantage of younger managers and offer them substantially less money. Opportunities to move up are substantial if you are willing to move but my experience has been it is more who you know rather than what you know. zero to no education and training is given to a lot of managers

Endless opportunities

Loss Prevention (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsChallenging. Always learning and lots of areas to advance. Loblaws develops and invests in their colleagues

ConsI can't think of any cons

Good Company

Analyst (Former Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsHigh paced environment with many projects to work on. Great people to work with.

ConsLocation is Brampton. For some it might be difficult to commute everyday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a high school student, it was a first job to get some experience but quickly became dissatisfied with it.

Cashier (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros+ Flexibility in schedule (Can tell manager week before if you need a day off)
    + Job security is pretty firm if you just do your job.
    + A retail job that doesn't require you to sell sell sell like other retail companies.
    + You'll likely find one near your house, commuting was probably the biggest advantage (15min walk)

Cons- B.O.R.I.N.G.
    - Extremely repetitive
    - Coworkers are slightly depressed, not very conversational (maybe cause they were all older than me)
    - Manager makes us look active whether when the store is empty of customers (a pain in the opening and closing hours).
    - Min wage, no raise, no discount.
    - Dress code, ugly shirts.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys were pretty good (at least the one that trained and managed me). Just don't hound us so much when there are no customers in the store. We feel like dying sometimes when there are long rushes of customers, just let us lay back a little when its not busy.

Stay away or Get experience and leave!!!!!!!!

ProsNice building, no office space

Consegos egos everywhere and no job security. Most perks you have to pay for and the discount card you get after 6 months, it does not work at no frills or other loblaws stores.

Advice to Senior Managementget you head out off your ass

not a good place for consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-lots of activities that seem to foster team work and small perks
    -full time staff seemed content

Cons-long commute to Brampton
    -lot of projects with endless meetings therefore lots of time spent afterhours doing the work
    -does not seem genuine in it's efforts to support and engage staff. There is a sense of unease as to "who will be thrown under the bus" when mistakes happen.

Upper management

Grocery Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Prosthe regular staff that works there

ConsAs a manager you are expected to work upwards to 12 hrs a shift and its frowned upon when you miss a day. You are constantly putting out fires instead of solving the problems

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing productivity and solutions that dont help your staff get better and help themselves

Very happy employee

Cashier (Current Employee) Richmond, BC (Canada)

ProsFlexible hours.
    Benefits, allow you to save 200 per semester on tuition.

Consirate customers complaining about a 4 person lineup.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up!

Constant change is impacting culture

Director (Former Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat facilities - cfeteria, ice rink, beach volley ball courts, Goodlife gym, free parking
    Passionate people that work really hard
    Big company so lots of opportunity to build experience and career growth

ConsLack of recognition and support from management
    Culture shift, used to be more cooperative, is now turning into a culture of blame
    Constant restructuring and reallocation of work has reduced knowledge base in company
    Unrealistic expectations of what one person can accomplish in a day resulting in long hours for many employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees you have, recognize that nobody gets it right every time. Do not blame employees for trying to get problems resolved.
    How mistakes are handled to mitigate damage and improve things in the future often provides bigger benefits than not making the mistake in the first place.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, had tools you needed to do your job, always kept employees informed on companies goals and progress etc.

Consthere really isnt' any cons to say about the company other than its can be a long cold walk in the winter as the parking lot can see far away from building

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Loblaw? Contribute to the Community!