Loblaw

Be The First To
Add Photos

Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen G. Weston

Galen G. Weston

Pros
  • Work life balance amazing (although this is depending on your boss)(in 9 reviews)

• Benefits are reasonable for part time employment(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all of us are trying to work as part time employees for the rest of our lives, FYI(in 11 reviews)

• Pay was crappy, benefits were basic and work life balance was non existent(in 5 reviews)

Cashier

Cashier, Front End (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsBenefits are reasonable for part time employment. No special skills required for this job as the company is not in business for customers.Easy work with minimum wage.

ConsHorrible management.. Company training is 90 percent loss prevention. This is stressed over and over again- I imagine it is a constant concern for them. Company does not reward initiative, they much prefer robotic compliance. whatever you do- don't think just do. As a customer based industry they are without customer service beyond up selling and pushing their credit cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate good employees and empower them to make reasonable decisions without having to check with supervisors for every little thing. Trust your employees that you hired to make good decisions. Teach supervisors how to interact with customers in a pleasant non confrontational manner. A little customer service can go a long way to maintaining a good customer base over the long term.

Clerk

Clerk (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsMinimum wage. They will give you time off when you need it because it helps them cut hours.

ConsNo hours, they cut hours all the time, people with 40 hours who've worked there for 15 years now get 10-15 hours.
    They want you to work as if you're 3 people

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more hours

Stay away or Get experience and leave!!!!!!!!

ProsNice building, no office space

Consegos egos everywhere and no job security. Most perks you have to pay for and the discount card you get after 6 months, it does not work at no frills or other loblaws stores.

Advice to Senior Managementget you head out off your ass

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not a good place for consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-lots of activities that seem to foster team work and small perks
    -full time staff seemed content

Cons-long commute to Brampton
    -lot of projects with endless meetings therefore lots of time spent afterhours doing the work
    -does not seem genuine in it's efforts to support and engage staff. There is a sense of unease as to "who will be thrown under the bus" when mistakes happen.

Upper management

Grocery Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Prosthe regular staff that works there

ConsAs a manager you are expected to work upwards to 12 hrs a shift and its frowned upon when you miss a day. You are constantly putting out fires instead of solving the problems

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing productivity and solutions that dont help your staff get better and help themselves

current employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, ON (Canada)

Prosflexable hours (availability) so I can look after my children, but that will be changing when our Zerhs market store flips to a great food store, cut in wages, cut in benefits and changes to availabilities, cut, cut, cut.....

Consnot enough time is alotted to do the jobs right and safe. Hours have been getting cut so drastically this year('13) that things are not getting compeated to food safety standards. when sterotech comes in to do an inspection there is a mad scramble to cean, label, ect. It's disgusting and it wont be long before you hear of a store being shut down by an inspector(at least ours). Our cooler (that is used for food storage) hasn't worked properly for at least 3 years, when the inspector comes in, managent tells us to remove our product, put it in the back cooler until the inspector leaves and then put it back and not worry about it!? Nice problem solving wouldn't you say?

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for what is right, stop being "yes" men!

awfull

Charcuterie (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosemployee rebates/discount (10% on all the products in store except alcohool)

ConsEmployee discount is freaking cheap

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employee

I very bad job

Cashier (Former Employee) Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

ProsThe only reason to work their is becasue of the discount card

ConsNo room for growth, don't get pay rasies, management is uncaring, customers are verbally abusive and very stressful job for no money.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees

You are just money being spent

Pawn (Current Employee)

ProsEasy job, cool people, decent salary. The hours are pretty flexible, and they are open early until late so there is oppurtunities for all shifts. Unionized.

ConsThe management doesn't give a care about who you are. To them you are just another pawn. Therefore, employees have no motivation to work and have no loyalty to the company. They always try to cut labour by giving the people who have been there a long time no hours (since they make more- union rules) and force them to quit so they can hire new staff at a lower rate. No oppurtunities for advancement and overall low respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like pawns. Take a couple minuites to realize that they are people too trying to make a living.

A very unprofessional environment, it is worse than an elementary playground.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are very nice people, who work for the company, but they come in and mislead about the job's they are hired for and they are not compensated accordingly.

ConsThe majority of the HR department are barely out of diapers themselves and they need to grow up.
    There is not strong leadership in place to take things to the next level, the reason they survive is because of their grocery chain empire. It amazes me that people can be treated so poorly and there is such a revolving door and no one at the executive level notices? They won’t be able to sustain their departments and it will be the demise of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up, take some real leadership courses and learn what it means to see the big picture. Stop acting like you have all the answers when truly you are nothing but order takers.

Worked for Loblaw? Contribute to the Community!