Loblaw Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen G. Weston
Galen G. Weston

Pros
  • Work life balance amazing (although this is depending on your boss) (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits are reasonable for part time employment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all of us are trying to work as part time employees for the rest of our lives, FYI (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours of standing in one place (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Typical entry level job for students.

Current Employee - Diary Clerk  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Diary Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is best for students to get a step in the job industry and make some money.

Cons

It gets very boring and repetitive really fast.

Be more understanding of workers issues.

great in starting 1 year but got worst as time pasess

Former Employee - Fork-Lift Operator  in  Regina, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Fork-Lift Operator in Regina, SK (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw full-time for more than a year

Pros

if you are in a need of money LOBLAW is a great company to work with. company provides good benefits and bonuses too.

Cons

management does not know how to retain their employees. supervisor's don't respect their employees. lots of favouritism and partiality is going on. different rules for work for different parts of warehouse.

respect your employees and don't just listen to their grievances, try to solve them too.

Decent pay, easy work, not-so-excellent management.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job was fairly simple, despite the fact that regardless of what position you choose they make you do every position's work. I was paid a few dollars above the average cashier wage in Calgary, but the union dues kind of negate that.

Cons

The way the supervisors and managers directed people was a mess. They often had no plan for you, or what you were supposed to do for your shift, they forgot to give you your breaks, forgot that you're supposed to be off and let you stay for an extra 30 minutes, etc.

Work on scheduling/employee management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Training, good when in school

Cons

Terrible condescending management, poor price checkers (they take forever) huge line ups, too much responsibility given to supervisors (they know all override codes and minor things that cashiers need their constant assistance)

Try to be nice to the cashiers.

Retail Accountant

Current Employee - Retail Accountant  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Accountant in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, basketball court, volleyball, GoodLife, cafeteria, nice buildin, good managers, good experience, lots is learning and fast paced

Cons

Low pay, advancement opportunities limited, not many Events as retail and very cost conscious

Loblaws is a great place to work

I have been working at Loblaw

Pros

Great hours, reasonable bosses, and a great working environment.

Cons

Pay scale is not very good.

AP Clerk

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn, managers didn't micro manage which was nice. The office was also very nice with affordable cafeteria food.

Cons

Management isn't supportive and won't listen to your requests. Often find myself ignored and don't feel like part of the team at times.

There should be more employees to divide the work. Compensation is far below industry standard. Listen to your employees when they reach out to you and respect them.

experienced financial analyst

I have been working at Loblaw

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

commute, pay, too many people crammed in one building

Student, cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Collingwood, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Collingwood, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gained new friendships through meeting coworkers, recently got rid of our verbally abusive front end manager and replaced him with more understanding manager

Cons

Menial work, management requires 5 shifts a week (24-28 hours) from all part-time staff including high school students employed there. To maintain a higher GPA and work that many hours is a struggle, let alone get involved in any extra curriculars. As well, on the 2 days off you get a week, management will call you and nearly beg you to come in due to sick calls. Every single day you have off. They try to make you feel guilty if you don't take it. Not only that, but up until a few weeks ago we had a manager who kept his employees in check by berating them in front of customers and, quite frankly, acting in the manner of a child when employees did things that weren't to his liking.

Though I understand some level of time commitment is expected from staff, including high school students, 5 days a week is slightly excessive. Considering the fact that students make a considerable amount less than adult workers in the company, our schedules should be adaptable. The company recognizes us as children when it comes to cut a cheque, but when it comes to scheduling we are required to adhere to the same standard as grown, part-time adults who don't have to attend school for 30+ hours a week, and study on top of that. Good job Loblaw.

Great Student Job

Former Employee - Cashier Loblaws  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier Loblaws in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Scholarship Opportunities, Respects employees, Flexible Work Schedule. The company values really made me feel like I was a valuable part of the team.

Cons

Nothing that I would qualify as a con occurred to me as a Loblaws employee. In my role, there weren't many opportunities for advancement, however.

Worked for Loblaw? Contribute to the Community!