Loblaw

Be The First To
Add Photos

Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen G. Weston

Galen G. Weston

Pros
  • Work life balance amazing (although this is depending on your boss) (in 9 reviews)

• Benefits are reasonable for part time employment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all of us are trying to work as part time employees for the rest of our lives, FYI (in 11 reviews)

• Long hours of standing in one place (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fine job for someone who is still in school

Deli Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexibility, some fun energetic people

Conspoor management, no room for growth

Your co-workers begin to feel like a family.

Cashier Loblaws (Current Employee) Ajax, ON (Canada)

ProsWork is easy to get a hold of, the supervisors are nice since they all have been in your place before so they know what it's like.

ConsDealing with the public is scary. People are complete jerks the majority of the time so you have to have a strong suit to deal with the general public.

That is a great company to start your career with.

QA Analyst (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of new staff to learn. Great opportunities in terms of career growth and satisfactory compensation. Huge company with its own ways of business.

ConsNo possibility of flexible work hours. Some time you just stuck on your work place. Too much overtime work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horribly Managed

Cashier (Current Employee) Kamloops, BC (Canada)

Pros-discount card
    -ability to chat with customers
    -benifits
    -some supervisors can be nice

Cons-no respect to the cashiers or other floor members
    -plenty of store gossip
    -horribly managed, to this day after working there for six months, i have never even had a conversation with the store manager
    -supervisors and customer service workers chat during the whole shift while the cashiers and other front end members are hard at work
    -supervisors treat all members of the positions lower than them with no respect
    -supervisors have a poor, unenergetic attitude that has been pointed out to me by customers
    -the union does more harm than good; so many restrictions especially towards part-timers that create stress
    -you only get time off if the people who work there personally like you. 90% of my holiday requests (reasonable time and length requests, too) get denied.
    -The store is often dirty
    -no opportunity for advancement (not speaking for myself, a full timer i had a conversation with hasn't been given any opportunity to advance in the 3 years she has been working there)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have staff-meetings. Show more attention to the cashiers and other entry-level position team members and have a chat with the janitor. It is not a good thing when 4 people report mice in one day.

No growth, low morale, politics

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPeople working with you at store level are mostly friendly but suffer from the 3 things mentioned above.

Stable job. Some good work perks with GoodLife Fitness. Recommend young students to apply with polished resumes.

ConsUnreasonable assignments with very minimum compensation.

High turnover.

Very little incentive to provide good customer service to customers. Pay isn't changed. You are just told to do it.

Do not expect to be trained. Do not expect notices of policy changes, open positions, and more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive incentives - don't make the reward more hours when we are already suppose to be guaranteed hours. This will encourage favouritism and conflict with fellow employees.

Good employees tend to be the ones that had more hours available for them when they first started. I believe all part timers who went through the recruitment process are all potentially great employees but when managers forget to give them hours because of the high turnover and large recruitment it is difficult for in store managers to track the merit of each individual employee. When there are so few hours to give to new employees they have less time and infrequent intervals of which they can learn on their own in the store (they are hardly trained). Managers are surprised when they see a new employee struggle grasping the work when they only have 8 hours a week and most of the eight hours is spent figuring out on their own what to do.

Business Analyst

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsLarge company, can network within company..., great cafeteria, daily sales performance

ConsToo many silos, not enough cohesiveness!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together peeps

excellent, very diligent when it comes to detailing the store

Cashier (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

Prosgreat service and delicious food, decent pay check and an energetic and enthusiastic staff

Consnot a lot of time off could end up working late hours

Not very eventful

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

ProsI've worked at Superstore for over 2 years. Depending on the store you're working at you'll get good hours, you make life long friends and you learn valuable customer service skills.

ConsNever getting trained on anything (uscans or customer service etc) unless you're a "favorite" don't expect to move up in the company. Hard work and dedication is not something they care about or reward you for. Sometimes you'll get the worst customers, but you get used to it eventually.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger breaks would be nice; 15 minutes sometimes doesn't really cut it considering how long we stand on our feet for without walking. Check with supervisors at stores and promote people who aren't favorites would be nice.

OK for a summer job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible hours, great employees, dynamic

Constoo much rules sometimes but other than that, there aren't really any major cons.

It depends.....

Department Manager (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, good pay for store level full time employees compared to other supermarket chains, dental, prescription drug coverage for full time employees, UFCW pension plan, employee discount card.

ConsIn order to move from part time to a full time position you need to take a night shift position, once your working full time nights you can eventually move to dayshift but this can take many years. Applicants to job postings are chosen based on seniority so you may have to spend years in a position you don't really like until you can get the position you really want. Department managers are salary employees so received pay for a 39 hour work week, but some managers work much more than that, in some stores there is pressure on salary employees to work over their 39 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get too greedy and cut labour hours to the point there's not enough time to do the work

Worked for Loblaw? Contribute to the Community!