Loblaw Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
3.4

Loblaw Executive Chairman Galen G. Weston
Galen G. Weston

Pros
  • Work life balance amazing (although this is depending on your boss) (in 9 reviews)

• Great way to gain customer service experience and good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all of us are trying to work as part time employees for the rest of our lives, FYI (in 12 reviews)

• Pay was crappy, benefits were basic and work life balance was non existent (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

excellent, very diligent when it comes to detailing the store

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw part-time for more than a year

Pros

great service and delicious food, decent pay check and an energetic and enthusiastic staff

Cons

not a lot of time off could end up working late hours

Not very eventful

Current Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Dartmouth, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Superstore for over 2 years. Depending on the store you're working at you'll get good hours, you make life long friends and you learn valuable customer service skills.

Cons

Never getting trained on anything (uscans or customer service etc) unless you're a "favorite" don't expect to move up in the company. Hard work and dedication is not something they care about or reward you for. Sometimes you'll get the worst customers, but you get used to it eventually.

Longer breaks would be nice; 15 minutes sometimes doesn't really cut it considering how long we stand on our feet for without walking. Check with supervisors at stores and promote people who aren't favorites would be nice.

OK for a summer job

I worked at Loblaw part-time

Pros

flexible hours, great employees, dynamic

Cons

too much rules sometimes but other than that, there aren't really any major cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It depends.....

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, good pay for store level full time employees compared to other supermarket chains, dental, prescription drug coverage for full time employees, UFCW pension plan, employee discount card.

Cons

In order to move from part time to a full time position you need to take a night shift position, once your working full time nights you can eventually move to dayshift but this can take many years. Applicants to job postings are chosen based on seniority so you may have to spend years in a position you don't really like until you can get the position you really want. Department managers are salary employees so received pay for a 39 hour work week, but some managers work much more than that, in some stores there is pressure on salary employees to work over their 39 hours.

Don't get too greedy and cut labour hours to the point there's not enough time to do the work

Great for Students and part-time workers

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Loblaw part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many unionized positions, flexible scheduling, employee discount program, weekly pay, corporate gym membership

Cons

For part-time workers hours vary each week. Hard to rely on variable weekly income. Opportunities for advancement seem few and far between.

kkkkHAppL/lblaw

I have been working at Loblaw

Pros

Great job opportunities to move up from within

Cons

Constantly changing due to system changes

Respect to Quality of work

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Largest Supermarket Chain in Canada. More than enough qualified people to do any small jobs. Excellent office in a central location.

Cons

Taking pretty long time to introduce SAP. Not happy about recognition process. So much of time spent on reconciling different systems and was told that the vendor accounts are not handled properly.

Financial Planning must be improved.

a neat place to work for a student

Former Employee - Meat Clefk  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Meat Clefk in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with other students.
    Damaged items are yours at a lower price
    access to limited stock i

Cons

pay is not great at the start but high turnoever gives you the chance for more hours. You also get first dibs on sale items before the store opens

Although are new to the workforce, no need to be condescending

huge discrep between job posting and actual work

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Loblaw full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Entry level; fast/easy promotions. Merit/Performance based raises.

Cons

Demanding workload/hours, retail, poor respect at Store Level from upper management and corporate HQ. Questionable contract stating consistent expectations of work hours longer than 40hrs and will not provide with overtime however justified. Practice of short workdays in lieu of instead.

Unprofessional practice of expecting managers to not schedule themselves on Statutory holidays but must work them. Those that commit to a full 40hr stat week have their pay 'deducted' after the fact; very poor conduct.

I loved my job. It was demanding but rewarding and i feel that I've come out a better person. Something has to be done about the statutory holiday practice as it's illegal. Being told by our manager and west VP to not schedule ourselves a full work week on stat weeks but expected to work in full. Either respect the decision to work a 32hr stat week or pay accordingly if expected to work a full week.

Good place to work as astudent.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Loblaw part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling makes it easy to work part time while you are in school. Easy job; provides very little distractions while concentrating on studies.

Cons

Doesn't give great experience for graduates. Difficult to keep mentally stimulated when working repetitive and menial tasks. Few opportunities for advancement for part-time workers. Customers are occasionally a pain to deal with.

It may be useful for managers with Loblaw to occasionally work as front end clerks to gain some perspective on what front-line employees are asked to do. Feedback from employees on policy changes are also recommended.

Worked for Loblaw? Contribute to the Community!