Local Book Publishing Reviews

Brian Willets

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Sales in Salisbury, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Salisbury, MD

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Team Environment! Pay is great if you can sell.

Cons

Communication is lacking from upper management to lower management.

Advice to Management

Communicate

Dishonest

Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

Pros

in the beginning you still believe what they told you when you interviewed.

Cons

After you've been there 6 months you realize their goal is to manipulate your life. Whether you sell or not, they will try to take back your commission and/or find a way/reason not to pay you. After awhile you realize they've made you sign papers so you can't work anywhere else. They're even sueing their former employees who left because they weren't making any money. They talk bad about the former employees to the customers but no one is allowed to talk about it.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect.

This Company Is Regularly Adapting To The Changing Climate of Marketing!

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have always loved how much my ideas and input is welcome. There are plenty of opportunities to improve your income just by looking for ways to help businesses. The effectiveness of the products sold are irrefutable and supported by facts, reports and the clients themselves. One of my favorite things about working here is the very smooth process used to have conversations with clients.

Cons

There can be a disconnect between what management is trying to get accomplished and what the real world allows. Most people running the company seem to be so overwhelmed with projects and commitments, they don't seem to have much time to review or discuss items of concern except on their timetable.

Advice to Management

Make regular contact with employees, consultants, managers, etc. Even something as simple as an email of congratulations on a good week of performance, or a simple handshake when visiting offices goes a long way.

Look away from this place

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Greenville, NC

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and that's all

Cons

I worked here 2 1/2 weeks was let go because of a and low performance apparently. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to finally sell something but in training I was told that would be ok!! (1 week was the week of the 4th)

Advice to Management

Not wasting my breathe because they think there process works and it doesn't ( been in sales 5 years been trained by several other people and methods that work better) work!

Complete Disconnect with Reality

Former Employee - Media Consultant/Account Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some truly great people and made sincere lifetime friendships. Christmas Party is fun. iPads.

Cons

Commssion structure is ridiculous. Must receive a third of a payment to even start getting paid on your sale (I.e sign someone up today for October start billing add 4 months that's when you get paid if they are current on balance. So May to February zero commission. Micromanagement. From listening in on your one on one meetings with your DSM to checking your notes and questions for the next day. You will feel like you like you are back on grade school. I understand that there are numbers and goals that must be hit but they take to the excess. Turnover. I've counted since I worked there 20 reps come in and leave within a 18 month period. From the CEO himself; "I don't care about turnover, if you can't do your job we will find someone who can" Lagging Solutions. Way behind the curve as far as digital products is concerned. Major utility books have outperformed The Localbook Publishing/Local360 Media in terms of digital products offered for 10 years.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Recruit better talent.

Total training class no longer working at Local Book

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, DE

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Theoretically, still a viable product. Coworkers were good and willing to help each other.

Cons

Excessive and myopic micromanagement. Ask a question, get different answers from different managers. Commission structure is one whereby only a chosen few with make money...the rest...they are known for excessively high turnover.

Advice to Management

Aside from the fact that the majority of management is related and egotistical...they recently implemented a "new" sales system that they believe is unique to them. However, they are 30 years behind the curve and not open to input. Open your eyes and ears.

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Office Staff in Midway, UT
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Midway, UT

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work environment. It's fun and outgoing and everyone is respectful. - All employees get along and are willing to help each other when needed. - AWESOME Christmas party.

Cons

- Slightly underpaid - Some seem to be rewarded more than others

Advice to Management

Employees should be evaluated regularly and raises should be given if deserved. Hard work should be rewarded and it is always nice to hear "good job" every once in a while :)

Just be careful, if you're looking work for this company!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, DE

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have a job

Cons

Missed a payroll date Send out Child Support Check, with no signature on the check (Worthless Check) Huge turnover For Four months paid me the wrong mileage reimbursement They offer benefits-but in the interview process, never tell you "You must maintain a certain average" Family & Friends come first enviroment Before I left, Local Book launched an "On-Line" Local search engine-I used this to search business's and realize there were many mistakes (which could prevent local business's from be found) I told management and to this day, (18 months later) there's still mistakes--Do they even care about their customers? Here are a few examples- When you’re in the main menu of Delaware on the site- You select Newark DE, but Newark MD appears You select Brookside DE, but Brookside Utah appears You select Middletown DE, looking for a Pizza-But there’s no Pizza Heading **Online Positioning was based on size of Print Directory Ad-So for example, if you're looking for an Auto Repair Shop in Bear DE, the First ad you'll see will be the Auto Repair Company which as the biggest ad in the book, which may or may not be the best choice for your needs On the Newark Delaware book, there was a Front Page Cover of the University Of Delaware Cheerleaders (beautiful cover) and If, You owned a business in that area, it’s very possible you might think that book, is delivered to the College Students in the dorms-WRONG! And here’s the worst-A Senior Manager, who was trying to make a point ( in front of 3 sales reps) used what I considered to be a really bad example on how to motive us and to produce sales-When the sentence started like this-"You'll know, on a Saturday Morning in a Black Barber Shop people are waiting to get a haircut, a man walks in with a bag hanging over his shoulder much like Santa Claus-Now in this bag, there’s VCR'S/DVD'S etc. and people know its stolen-but if you have the money, you can buy these items-So, it’s important to make sales!" Please let me point out-I'm Caucasian and the manager was African American, but I was offended! You see there was an African America owned Beauty Salon like 3 doors down from the office, and when I walked by sometimes, I would remember, the man walking in like Santa Claus.(because that’s the picture, my manager painted for me) Sad but very true! **Please note-this was the method, when I was employed**

Advice to Management

Go back to the drawing board and figure out how to save your company Honesty with your employees and customers, would be a good start

Perhaps the worst job, I ever had!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Salisbury, MD

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice looking product For the most part, staff was nice

Cons

Very Miss-Leading Interview Process Confused Leadership No Clear-Cut Direction Lack of any type of a true Sales Culture Second Rate “On Going” Sales Training Struggling to sell Out Dated Core Product High Turn-Over Rate of employees Family Owned Business-Some people are in certain positions, that may not be the best qualified or suited for-Simply because their family or friends

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront in the interview process, you could be changing someone life for the worst. Introduce quality products and solutions for your employees to offer businesses. It's 2013, provide sales team with Ipads & away to generate a paperless contract Management should provide updates / reporting and coaching without the employee having to beg or request such vital /basic everyday sales 101 information (Hence, no true Sales Culture) The business model is continuously changing and its imperative “The Local Book” adapts Listen to your employee’s suggestions & Ideas, without them what do you really have? Implement a Virtual Teaching Cycle where team members learn from each other Create an environment where team members look forward to coming to work-How do you think some of your clients feel with the fact, every year their Account Manager is different? Get more involved with the communities & businesses you service

Family Affair

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office close to my house, great people try to work with this company.

Cons

The model is to get you to work for the company by telling you -You will be a manager in 3 months. The president will take your salary within 90 days of employment without telling you. You find out about your salary by -no direct deposit. Bad company to work for. Monagement consist of family and friends.

Advice to Management

Build a better model with your sales reps and clients. This is still a good business to be in but your management makes it a bad place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed