Local Book Publishing

Updated July 9, 2014
Updated July 9, 2014

2.0

Brian Willets

This Company Is Regularly Adapting To The Changing Climate of Marketing!

Current Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Saint George, UT

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have always loved how much my ideas and input is welcome. There are plenty of opportunities to improve your income just by looking for ways to help businesses. The effectiveness of the products sold are irrefutable and supported by facts, reports and the clients themselves. One of my favorite things about working here is the very smooth process used to have conversations with clients.

Cons

There can be a disconnect between what management is trying to get accomplished and what the real world allows. Most people running the company seem to be so overwhelmed with projects and commitments, they don't seem to have much time to review or discuss items of concern except on their timetable.

Make regular contact with employees, consultants, managers, etc. Even something as simple as an email of congratulations on a good week of performance, or a simple handshake when visiting offices goes a long way.

Look away from this place

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Greenville, NC

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job and that's all

Cons

I worked here 2 1/2 weeks was let go because of a and low performance apparently. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to finally sell something but in training I was told that would be ok!! (1 week was the week of the 4th)

Not wasting my breathe because they think there process works and it doesn't ( been in sales 5 years been trained by several other people and methods that work better) work!

Complete Disconnect with Reality

Former Employee - Media Consultant/Account Manager  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Media Consultant/Account Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with some truly great people and made sincere lifetime friendships.

Christmas Party is fun.

iPads.

Cons

Commssion structure is ridiculous. Must receive a third of a payment to even start getting paid on your sale (I.e sign someone up today for October start billing add 4 months that's when you get paid if they are current on balance. So May to February zero commission.

Micromanagement. From listening in on your one on one meetings with your DSM to checking your notes and questions for the next day. You will feel like you like you are back on grade school. I understand that there are numbers and goals that must be hit but they take to the excess.

Turnover. I've counted since I worked there 20 reps come in and leave within a 18 month period. From the CEO himself; "I don't care about turnover, if you can't do your job we will find someone who can"

Lagging Solutions. Way behind the curve as far as digital products is concerned. Major utility books have outperformed The Localbook Publishing/Local360 Media in terms of digital products offered for 10 years.

Pay your employees. Recruit better talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall Great Company

Current Employee - Office Staff  in  Midway, UT
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Midway, UT

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work environment. It's fun and outgoing and everyone is respectful.
    - All employees get along and are willing to help each other when needed.
    - AWESOME Christmas party.

Cons

- Slightly underpaid
    - Some seem to be rewarded more than others

Employees should be evaluated regularly and raises should be given if deserved. Hard work should be rewarded and it is always nice to hear "good job" every once in a while :)

Total training class no longer working at Local Book

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, DE

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Theoretically, still a viable product. Coworkers were good and willing to help each other.

Cons

Excessive and myopic micromanagement. Ask a question, get different answers from different managers. Commission structure is one whereby only a chosen few with make money...the rest...they are known for excessively high turnover.

Aside from the fact that the majority of management is related and egotistical...they recently implemented a "new" sales system that they believe is unique to them. However, they are 30 years behind the curve and not open to input. Open your eyes and ears.

Just be careful, if you're looking work for this company!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, DE

I have been working at Local Book Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

You have a job

Cons

Missed a payroll date
    Send out Child Support Check, with no signature on the check (Worthless Check)
    Huge turnover
    For Four months paid me the wrong mileage reimbursement
    They offer benefits-but in the interview process, never tell you "You must maintain a certain average"
    Family & Friends come first enviroment

Before I left, Local Book launched an "On-Line" Local search engine-I used this to search business's and realize there were many mistakes (which could prevent local business's from be found) I told management and to this day, (18 months later) there's still mistakes--Do they even care about their customers?
    Here are a few examples-
    When you’re in the main menu of Delaware on the site-
    You select Newark DE, but Newark MD appears
    You select Brookside DE, but Brookside Utah appears
    You select Middletown DE, looking for a Pizza-But there’s no Pizza Heading

**Online Positioning was based on size of Print Directory Ad-So for example, if you're looking for an Auto Repair Shop in Bear DE, the First ad you'll see will be the Auto Repair Company which as the biggest ad in the book, which may or may not be the best choice for your needs

On the Newark Delaware book, there was a Front Page Cover of the University Of Delaware Cheerleaders (beautiful cover) and If, You owned a business in that area, it’s very possible you might think that book, is delivered to the College Students in the dorms-WRONG!

And here’s the worst-A Senior Manager, who was trying to make a point ( in front of 3 sales reps) used what I considered to be a really bad example on how to motive us and to produce sales-When the sentence started like this-"You'll know, on a Saturday Morning in a Black Barber Shop people are waiting to get a haircut, a man walks in with a bag hanging over his shoulder much like Santa Claus-Now in this bag, there’s VCR'S/DVD'S etc. and people know its stolen-but if you have the money, you can buy these items-So, it’s important to make sales!"
    Please let me point out-I'm Caucasian and the manager was African American, but I was offended! You see there was an African America owned Beauty Salon like 3 doors down from the office, and when I walked by sometimes, I would remember, the man walking in like Santa Claus.(because that’s the picture, my manager painted for me)
    Sad but very true!

**Please note-this was the method, when I was employed**

Go back to the drawing board and figure out how to save your company
    Honesty with your employees and customers, would be a good start

Perhaps the worst job, I ever had!

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Salisbury, MD

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice looking product
    For the most part, staff was nice

Cons

Very Miss-Leading Interview Process
    Confused Leadership
    No Clear-Cut Direction
    Lack of any type of a true Sales Culture
    Second Rate “On Going” Sales Training
    Struggling to sell Out Dated Core Product
    High Turn-Over Rate of employees
    Family Owned Business-Some people are in certain positions, that may not be the best qualified or suited for-Simply because their family or friends

Be honest and upfront in the interview process, you could be changing someone life for the worst.
    Introduce quality products and solutions for your employees to offer businesses.
    It's 2013, provide sales team with Ipads & away to generate a paperless contract
    Management should provide updates / reporting and coaching without the employee having to beg or request such vital /basic everyday sales 101 information (Hence, no true Sales Culture)
    The business model is continuously changing and its imperative “The Local Book” adapts
    Listen to your employee’s suggestions & Ideas, without them what do you really have?
    Implement a Virtual Teaching Cycle where team members learn from each other
    Create an environment where team members look forward to coming to work-How do you think some of your clients feel with the fact, every year their Account Manager is different?
    Get more involved with the communities & businesses you service

Family Affair

Former Employee - Media Consultant/Account Manager  in  Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Media Consultant/Account Manager in Newark, DE

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office close to my house, great people try to work with this company.

Cons

The model is to get you to work for the company by telling you -You will be a manager in 3 months. The president will take your salary within 90 days of employment without telling you. You find out about your salary by -no direct deposit. Bad company to work for. Monagement consist of family and friends.

Build a better model with your sales reps and clients. This is still a good business to be in but your management makes it a bad place to work.

I really enjoyed working for the Local Book. The office atmosphere was wonderful. What a great bunch of people!

I worked at Local Book Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great office atmosphere. Set your own appointments. Not stuck in an office all day.

Cons

Only a stipend for gas and cell phone use, and there is a lot of travel (both locally doing sales and to the Eastern Shore for training.) Lots of "homework."

This is a below average place to work.

I worked at Local Book Publishing

Pros

Their product is top notch. They take every action to make sure they have the best product in town. They train sales reps continuously and try to get better at selling every day. I developed some good friendships with coworkers. They have a fun Christmas party and pay a small Christmas bonus.

Cons

They only allow 7 paid days off per year. They look for any way possible to reduce commissions or not pay them at all. It's very possible that an employee could receive commissions one year after making a sale. Of course if you leave the company before you receive your commission they keep the commission even though you earned it. They micro manage employees to death. They expect 1 - 2 hours of extra work each night for prepardness for the next days sales meeting. They place rigid guidelines on the number of accounts that reps need to close each week even though they have 6-7 months to work the accounts. There is plenty of extra time at the end of the campaign for accounts to be closed. If the rep does not close the specified number of accounts each week the company takes away accounts from the rep, essentially taking money from his/her pocket.

If ownership and upper management would put the same amount of work into making their company a great place to work as they do their product you would have something special. You would be able to attract top talent and keep them. Its sad to say you don't trust and value the great employees that you have and don't care enough to change in order to attract great sales people. Until you are willing to change, Local Book Publishing will be a below average place to work.

Worked for Local Book Publishing? Contribute to the Community!