Local Corporation

Local Corporation Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Local Corporation CEO Fred Thiel

Fred Thiel

Great company to work for. The people are bright and understand the market for their Media Services and Products.

Senior Recruiter/Staffing Manager (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThey occupy a great office space and have created a very nice environment to work in. They are very friendly and professional. They brought in Turkey lunch on Thanksgiving day and we had a mini Thanksgiving with the whole Local team. While there they bought 6 other companies and I helped with that transition and recruited for the now conglomerate company. They have the keurig coffee and tea maker in all the break rooms for free. I really liked my Direct Report Manager She was great to work for. Als o everyone in the HR dept and all other departments were really upbeat. A lot of smiles at Local.com.

ConsThey did offer free snacks and free soda and waters from the vending machines in the break rooms. But when we moved to a larger office space, they set things up differently. We had to pay a fee/put money in the vending machines. But the snacks and drinks had much lower prices than market prices/regular vending machines. So not too much of a Con.

Worked at Local for 2+ years.

Tele Sales (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsLocal Corporation has strong work-life balance and benefits. There are good opportunities for advancement. Many of the technical and sales folks are well qualified and professional.

ConsThe Executive Management Team is improving, but has lacked professionalism at the COO role. The company's "co-operatition"model with the major search engines puts the company in a fraught and vulnerable position.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggest ensuring that productivity, diligence and integrity are the factors for advancement; the new CEO is apparently inclined towards a meritocracy, which would be a step forward.

Excited about the opportunities ahead!

Irvine, CA

ProsHas a collaborative, bright management team and very strong culture that allows for idea sharing, and now more communication. Great worklife balance, but you are expected to deliver top-notch work. Very friendly people and cool offices!

The outlook for the company couldn't be better with a new CEO and clear focus on what makes a difference. It's a great time to work for the company.

ConsThink about new ways develop employees careers; Hire the most talented people even if they are located beyond the OC.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain lean and nimble and keep focused. It will pay off in the long term.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting place to work, hard work is rewarded!

ProsLocal Corporation is a great place to work and has an amazing team, everyone is extremely talented in what they do. Management is very personable and encouraging, hard work does not go unnoticed here. Promotions are well deserved and happen often for those who put in the work. It is a breath of fresh air to work in an environment that recognizes the importance of a positive work/life balance and the benefits that arise from a strong and creative collaboration.

ConsSome people get into the office later in the morning while others get in earlier. This can be challenging when trying to communicate and and touch base. Also, free bagels and pastries on Fridays are difficult to say no to when you're trying to stick to a diet...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to share your goals and expectations for the company, it inspires us to continue working hard!

Wonderful place to work, but you earn your keep

Online Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsSome of the best and brightest people in their craft work here; excellent team culture, people are very welcoming and receptive to new people and new ideas; atmosphere is a great balance of professionalism and friendliness. You have to come in ready to work and get things done, but the environment makes it worth it.

ConsMeetings seem to dominate the bulk of one's day (nature of the beast), action plans feel reactive (vs. proactive) at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the key attributes, conventions, and mission of the company, that can unify the company in forward-moving endeavors.

Exciting opportunities on the horizon - a good time to be at Local Corporation

ProsThe online landscape changes constantly and as a result workflow changes focus often - which keeps things exciting and challenging. I constantly feel like I'm learning and continuing to grow.

There are also fun perks like summer hours, a really fun holiday party and a summer picnic.

Pay is competitive and benefits are good.

ConsThere is a tendency to be spread too thin here. More help in my department would be nice at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on unique products that will set Local apart from the rest of the pack. Make sure we focus on quality over quantity.

The company has clearly turned the corner in a positive direction!

Pros+ New focus on exciting initiatives and disruptive technologies
    + Very good support from executive management
    + Everyone who works there is very competent
    + Turned profitable and cash flowing positively

Cons- Very fast pace
    - They do layoff
    - Not all business lines are fresh and exciting

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the constant communication to the troops. We understand the difference between the legacy businesses and the new opportunities, we want to hear how the new ideas are penetrating the market.

Great opportunity, great challenges, great rewards...

ProsGreat c-level and leadership team. Sets high standards. Recognizes talent, prepared to foster and support change. A good place to learn and grow. Great opportunities and if you show determination and drive results, you are rewarded. Wonderful internal recognition systems. Extremely family oriented and good work life balance.

ConsSome mediocrity and Complacency across the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress mediocrity. Continue to expect more, drive hard and keep the change going. Do not worry about fall outs.

Great Company with Great People

(Current Employee)

ProsThe company really cares about its employees. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Lots of great perks for employees. It is a great team environment with lots of collaboration. The company is resilient and continues to adapt to changing market conditions. The management team is strong and talented and has good ideas. The benefits are great too.

ConsSometimes in the past we tried to do too many things. We are doing a much better job of focusing our time and resources on areas where we can excel and win.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and continue to recognize hard work and dedication.

I have been with Local.com for 6 1/2 years. This company is great! The professional environment encourages growth.

Director of Sales (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsOpportunity; Compensation for productivity; Leadership; Technology; Work environment; Location; Benefits; PTO; Management Team: The executive management team has been very supportive.

ConsToday's competitive environment to acquire and keep good talent requires a bit more flexibility around the ability to work remotely. The constraints on dual working families is extreme. Commuting is wasteful. I would recommend flexibility to work remotely for at least several days per week or month.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be supportive of your A-Players. Listen and act quicker on advice from key executives. Stay focused on strategic intiatives. Be more proactive on diversifying the technology (especially our patents) beyond our core technology.

Worked for Local Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Local Corporation – Why Work for Us?

Local Corporation (NASDAQ:LOCM) is a leading local advertising technology company that connects millions of online and mobile consumers with businesses and products through a variety of innovative digital advertising… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Local Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Local Corporation CEO Fred Thiel. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Local Corporation employees.