Local Corporation

Local Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Local Corporation President / Chief Operations Officer Michael Sawtell

Michael Sawtell

Exciting place to work, hard work is rewarded!

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsLocal Corporation is a great place to work and has an amazing team, everyone is extremely talented in what they do. Management is very personable and encouraging, hard work does not go unnoticed here. Promotions are well deserved and happen often for those who put in the work. It is a breath of fresh air to work in an environment that recognizes the importance of a positive work/life balance and the benefits that arise from a strong and creative collaboration.

ConsSome people get into the office later in the morning while others get in earlier. This can be challenging when trying to communicate and and touch base. Also, free bagels and pastries on Fridays are difficult to say no to when you're trying to stick to a diet...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to share your goals and expectations for the company, it inspires us to continue working hard!

Exciting opportunities on the horizon - a good time to be at Local Corporation

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe online landscape changes constantly and as a result workflow changes focus often - which keeps things exciting and challenging. I constantly feel like I'm learning and continuing to grow.

There are also fun perks like summer hours, a really fun holiday party and a summer picnic.

Pay is competitive and benefits are good.

ConsThere is a tendency to be spread too thin here. More help in my department would be nice at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on unique products that will set Local apart from the rest of the pack. Make sure we focus on quality over quantity.

Wonderful place to work, but you earn your keep

Online Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Local Corporation as a contractor

ProsSome of the best and brightest people in their craft work here; excellent team culture, people are very welcoming and receptive to new people and new ideas; atmosphere is a great balance of professionalism and friendliness. You have to come in ready to work and get things done, but the environment makes it worth it.

ConsMeetings seem to dominate the bulk of one's day (nature of the beast), action plans feel reactive (vs. proactive) at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the key attributes, conventions, and mission of the company, that can unify the company in forward-moving endeavors.

The company has clearly turned the corner in a positive direction!

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros+ New focus on exciting initiatives and disruptive technologies
+ Very good support from executive management
+ Everyone who works there is very competent
+ Turned profitable and cash flowing positively

Cons- Very fast pace
- They do layoff
- Not all business lines are fresh and exciting

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the constant communication to the troops. We understand the difference between the legacy businesses and the new opportunities, we want to hear how the new ideas are penetrating the market.

Great opportunity, great challenges, great rewards...

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time

ProsGreat c-level and leadership team. Sets high standards. Recognizes talent, prepared to foster and support change. A good place to learn and grow. Great opportunities and if you show determination and drive results, you are rewarded. Wonderful internal recognition systems. Extremely family oriented and good work life balance.

ConsSome mediocrity and Complacency across the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress mediocrity. Continue to expect more, drive hard and keep the change going. Do not worry about fall outs.

Great Company with Great People

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time

ProsThe company really cares about its employees. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Lots of great perks for employees. It is a great team environment with lots of collaboration. The company is resilient and continues to adapt to changing market conditions. The management team is strong and talented and has good ideas. The benefits are great too.

ConsSometimes in the past we tried to do too many things. We are doing a much better job of focusing our time and resources on areas where we can excel and win.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and continue to recognize hard work and dedication.

I have been with Local.com for 6 1/2 years. This company is great! The professional environment encourages growth.

Director of Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Local Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity; Compensation for productivity; Leadership; Technology; Work environment; Location; Benefits; PTO; Management Team: The executive management team has been very supportive.

ConsToday's competitive environment to acquire and keep good talent requires a bit more flexibility around the ability to work remotely. The constraints on dual working families is extreme. Commuting is wasteful. I would recommend flexibility to work remotely for at least several days per week or month.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be supportive of your A-Players. Listen and act quicker on advice from key executives. Stay focused on strategic intiatives. Be more proactive on diversifying the technology (especially our patents) beyond our core technology.

Uncertain Future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat team, nice employee perks such as the holiday party

ConsNot enough technical resources, not proactive in preventing revenue affected products.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are more managers getting hired when they should be hiring more developers, engineers, and programmers to help improve the product. Test a product before launching it to the public and focus on improving products that have been working for the company.

Positive work environment and entrepreneurial spirit

Director Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company has created a positive culture where employees can grow professionally. Without question, this company is the best I have ever worked for at communicating the goals, vision and direction of the company to all employees. Though they have been in business for almost 15 years, they maintain an entrepreneurial spirit and are not afraid to try new ventures. This creates learning opportunities and keeps things stimulating & interesting.

ConsAll of their businesses units face intense competition and core revenue streams are highly dependent on the major search companies. This can sometimes leads to choppiness and unexpected disruption

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on innovation including continuously refreshing and expanding current products as well as developing the new, blue ocean strategies.

Good people. Future uncertain.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Local Corporation

ProsNice coworkers. Nice offices. Professional environment. Good pay. Fun picnics and Christmas parties. The CEO cares about the employees.

ConsNo growth. Existing ad business shrinking. Overall, poor leadership from COO. Poor execution with acquired companies. Missed opportunity with Screamin' Daily Deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a new idea for the company, or go back to serving SMBs. Krillion is probably not the answer.

Worked for Local Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Local Corporation – Why Work for Us?

Local Corporation (NASDAQ:LOCM) is a leading local advertising and technology company that connects businesses with approximately a million online and mobile consumers each day using a variety of innovative digital… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Local Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Local Corporation CEO Michael Sawtell. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Local Corporation employees.