Local Corporation

Local Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Local Corporation CEO Fred Thiel

Fred Thiel

Pros
  • Local Corporation has strong work-life balance and benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Very family oriented company, good pay at all levels from what I hear, alot of internal promotions lately (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Would like to see better career development plans for employees (in 2 reviews)

• New hire classes start pretty much on a weekly basis to replace the reps let go the prior week (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been with Local.com for 6 1/2 years. This company is great! The professional environment encourages growth.

Director of Sales (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsOpportunity; Compensation for productivity; Leadership; Technology; Work environment; Location; Benefits; PTO; Management Team: The executive management team has been very supportive.

ConsToday's competitive environment to acquire and keep good talent requires a bit more flexibility around the ability to work remotely. The constraints on dual working families is extreme. Commuting is wasteful. I would recommend flexibility to work remotely for at least several days per week or month.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be supportive of your A-Players. Listen and act quicker on advice from key executives. Stay focused on strategic intiatives. Be more proactive on diversifying the technology (especially our patents) beyond our core technology.

Uncertain Future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGreat team, nice employee perks such as the holiday party

ConsNot enough technical resources, not proactive in preventing revenue affected products.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are more managers getting hired when they should be hiring more developers, engineers, and programmers to help improve the product. Test a product before launching it to the public and focus on improving products that have been working for the company.

Positive work environment and entrepreneurial spirit

Director Sales (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsThe company has created a positive culture where employees can grow professionally. Without question, this company is the best I have ever worked for at communicating the goals, vision and direction of the company to all employees. Though they have been in business for almost 15 years, they maintain an entrepreneurial spirit and are not afraid to try new ventures. This creates learning opportunities and keeps things stimulating & interesting.

ConsAll of their businesses units face intense competition and core revenue streams are highly dependent on the major search companies. This can sometimes leads to choppiness and unexpected disruption

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on innovation including continuously refreshing and expanding current products as well as developing the new, blue ocean strategies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people. Future uncertain.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice coworkers. Nice offices. Professional environment. Good pay. Fun picnics and Christmas parties. The CEO cares about the employees.

ConsNo growth. Existing ad business shrinking. Overall, poor leadership from COO. Poor execution with acquired companies. Missed opportunity with Screamin' Daily Deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a new idea for the company, or go back to serving SMBs. Krillion is probably not the answer.

Challenging Work, Great Job

ProsChallenging and rewarding software engineering work… Many projects on various platforms and languages (.NET, c#, java, python, sql, MongoDB). A great opportunity to show off your skills and learn new ones.

Good pay and hours. The company really tries to create a good work environment, offering occasional lunches and breakfasts. Shortened work hours Fridays during the summer.

ConsThings can move fast… sometimes you may need to drop what you are doing and address an urgent change. Specifications are sometimes fluid and you need to be able to adapt (this is actually one of the points that makes this company interesting).

Telesales

Online Marketing Representative (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsVery positive employee culture, great product, very happy to come to work in the morning.

ConsThe sales department was laid off without notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees a chance to improve their performance if it is not up to snuff.

Energetic, fun place to work and thrive

ProsI'm simply having an awesome time here. The people are hugely welcoming, recognize the significance of teamwork, and are always ready to help each other out.

A lot of the recent management hires have proven that senior management is dedicated to extending the effective leadership that "gets it".

The real test for me was seeing how everyone is on board with growing this company and extending its local value through new and innovative products.

ConsMaybe it's just my glass being "half full", but I can't think of any cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide direction to maintain revenue and grow product lines at the same time.

On Life Support....

Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsNot much going on by the way of projects.

ConsEven though there is no much going on by the way of projects you are expected to be in the office before 9 AM.
    Management is insecure about their jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is dying anyways, so atleast keep good relationships with ur colleagues.

Working at Local is rewarding and fun

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsIncredibly interesting work for engineers. Working with the latest technologies - BigData, Search, etc. Great office environment with a lot of perks (Starbucks coffee, vending machines for .25C, free lunches, free Friday breakfast, birthday celebrations, picnics, etc). Work / Life balance is pretty good. Pay is very good. Best of all, I work with a lot of bright people.

ConsThe business that Local is in is very competitive and that at times can add pressure to all.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare as much as possible the long term vision.

Lack of trust, lack of thought leaders and lack of leadership

Pros-benefits, bagels, holiday party
    -made an attempt at fixing things
    -decent sales process

Cons-poor sr. management, lacking real leaderships. makes decisions based on emotion and tends to jump to conclusions
    -no real product, relies heavily on search engine traffic.
    -most of middle mgmt just kisses up to leadership, its digusting. have some dignity.
    -hostile work env, never know when the "big" chief is about to yell at someone.
    -horrible commission plan; they are always changing it on us.

Advice to Senior Managementoverall, local attempts to be a big fish in a big pound, but its really a small fish in a small pound. company really needs to revamp their sr. mgmt and if they don't they will continue to decline and fall behind. get rid of the "fat" up top and hire real leaders, if not you start losing your good employees. you already lost all sales leaders, head of tech and head of hr, what's next?

i hope you guys keep this honest and keep this review here.

Worked for Local Corporation? Contribute to the Community!