Local Corporation

Updated September 15, 2014
3.9

Local Corporation CEO Fred Thiel
Fred Thiel

Pros
  • Local Corporation has strong work-life balance and benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Very family oriented company, good pay at all levels from what I hear, alot of internal promotions lately (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Would like to see better career development plans for employees (in 2 reviews)

• New hire classes start pretty much on a weekly basis to replace the reps let go the prior week (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company with Great People

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time

Pros

The company really cares about its employees. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Lots of great perks for employees. It is a great team environment with lots of collaboration. The company is resilient and continues to adapt to changing market conditions. The management team is strong and talented and has good ideas. The benefits are great too.

Cons

Sometimes in the past we tried to do too many things. We are doing a much better job of focusing our time and resources on areas where we can excel and win.

Keep up the good work and continue to recognize hard work and dedication.

I have been with Local.com for 6 1/2 years. This company is great! The professional environment encourages growth.

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity; Compensation for productivity; Leadership; Technology; Work environment; Location; Benefits; PTO; Management Team: The executive management team has been very supportive.

Cons

Today's competitive environment to acquire and keep good talent requires a bit more flexibility around the ability to work remotely. The constraints on dual working families is extreme. Commuting is wasteful. I would recommend flexibility to work remotely for at least several days per week or month.

Continue to be supportive of your A-Players. Listen and act quicker on advice from key executives. Stay focused on strategic intiatives. Be more proactive on diversifying the technology (especially our patents) beyond our core technology.

Uncertain Future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team, nice employee perks such as the holiday party

Cons

Not enough technical resources, not proactive in preventing revenue affected products.

There are more managers getting hired when they should be hiring more developers, engineers, and programmers to help improve the product. Test a product before launching it to the public and focus on improving products that have been working for the company.

Positive work environment and entrepreneurial spirit

Current Employee - Director Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has created a positive culture where employees can grow professionally. Without question, this company is the best I have ever worked for at communicating the goals, vision and direction of the company to all employees. Though they have been in business for almost 15 years, they maintain an entrepreneurial spirit and are not afraid to try new ventures. This creates learning opportunities and keeps things stimulating & interesting.

Cons

All of their businesses units face intense competition and core revenue streams are highly dependent on the major search companies. This can sometimes leads to choppiness and unexpected disruption

Focus on innovation including continuously refreshing and expanding current products as well as developing the new, blue ocean strategies.

Challenging Work, Great Job

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time

Pros

Challenging and rewarding software engineering work… Many projects on various platforms and languages (.NET, c#, java, python, sql, MongoDB). A great opportunity to show off your skills and learn new ones.

Good pay and hours. The company really tries to create a good work environment, offering occasional lunches and breakfasts. Shortened work hours Fridays during the summer.

Cons

Things can move fast… sometimes you may need to drop what you are doing and address an urgent change. Specifications are sometimes fluid and you need to be able to adapt (this is actually one of the points that makes this company interesting).

Telesales

Former Employee - Online Marketing Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Local Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very positive employee culture, great product, very happy to come to work in the morning.

Cons

The sales department was laid off without notice.

Give the employees a chance to improve their performance if it is not up to snuff.

Good people. Future uncertain.

I worked at Local Corporation

Pros

Nice coworkers. Nice offices. Professional environment. Good pay. Fun picnics and Christmas parties. The CEO cares about the employees.

Cons

No growth. Existing ad business shrinking. Overall, poor leadership from COO. Poor execution with acquired companies. Missed opportunity with Screamin' Daily Deals.

Come up with a new idea for the company, or go back to serving SMBs. Krillion is probably not the answer.

Energetic, fun place to work and thrive

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'm simply having an awesome time here. The people are hugely welcoming, recognize the significance of teamwork, and are always ready to help each other out.

A lot of the recent management hires have proven that senior management is dedicated to extending the effective leadership that "gets it".

The real test for me was seeing how everyone is on board with growing this company and extending its local value through new and innovative products.

Cons

Maybe it's just my glass being "half full", but I can't think of any cons!

Continue to provide direction to maintain revenue and grow product lines at the same time.

On Life Support....

Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not much going on by the way of projects.

Cons

Even though there is no much going on by the way of projects you are expected to be in the office before 9 AM.
    Management is insecure about their jobs

Company is dying anyways, so atleast keep good relationships with ur colleagues.

Working at Local is rewarding and fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Local Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly interesting work for engineers. Working with the latest technologies - BigData, Search, etc. Great office environment with a lot of perks (Starbucks coffee, vending machines for .25C, free lunches, free Friday breakfast, birthday celebrations, picnics, etc). Work / Life balance is pretty good. Pay is very good. Best of all, I work with a lot of bright people.

Cons

The business that Local is in is very competitive and that at times can add pressure to all.

Share as much as possible the long term vision.