LocalEdge

Updated December 19, 2014
2.8

LocalEdge President, Revenue & Operations Mike Deluca
Mike Deluca

Pros
  • When Hearst brought in new leadership in 2013, it was like getting a shot of adrenalin (in 6 reviews)

• This is one of the top paying sales positions in Erie PA with no overnight travel & a high base salary (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Better communication is needed between customer service and product (in 13 reviews)

• Then the sales reps mostly just lie to the customer which in turn creates huge problems/lawsuits (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Love/Hate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good place to start a career in web development, project management, SEO, SEM. Good benefits. Relaxed dress code. Great people.

If you have the time, you can make friends with people on other teams and learn what they do, adding more tools to your toolbox. For those about to join LE, take advantage of this. If you work in SEO, learn SEM or web design, for example.

Cons

Entry level pay. Unmanageable workloads. Politics and Cover your A mentality(always protect against being hung out to dry). Sales staff disconnected from the rest of the company and do not care if they burn someone if something goes wrong. Web team has about 15 people responsible for production of hundreds of projects. Straight production environment leaves little room for creativity.

I was a decorated employee at LE and I achieved that by working 50-60 hours a week, along with doing all I could to make sales, clients, bosses, and associates happy. In my particular position, that is what needed to be done to be the best. Not an easy thing to do, given the lack of training and support from my immediate supervisors and the sink or swim mentality of the department. The department director chose to get as much work from as few people as possible to maximize the profitability of the department(he gets the carrot from his bosses while the workers get the stick from theirs). Additionally, we were rarely protected from blame and put in positions to fail. Mine was a burnout position and I voiced as much to my superiors on occasion, but no one cared or listened. This led to me leaving, along with many others from my particular team.

The old guard executives have mostly been swept out and I think that is a good thing. The New York City leadership shows a genuine desire to address the problems stated in the other negative posts. Time will tell if that is true or not. The most important advice I could give is to step back and look at how the web build process is set up. There is a huge team of SEO and SEM specialists but the web team has 5 coordinators and about 10 developers. So triple digits sales reps, and hundreds of clients, and projects funnel into about 15 people?!? The #1 complaint from sales is poor quality and poor communication. It's easy to see the problem is too much work for the few people charged with doing it. Staff up the developers and coordinators and watch the quality and communication improve. Hearst is a ridiculously big company. Why are you being penny wise and pound foolish?

Current Employee, enjoy and appreciate my job at LE. If you want a real review then read on...

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Getzville, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge

Pros

This career has been amazing for me both financially and personally. Never have I worked for a company that offered such lucritive bonus incentives, management support, and opportunities for further advancement within a position. I feel, in my current postition, that the more effort I put in, the more I am able to succeed and excel. In turn, this makes me work to my full potential and strive to do even more. This position is excellent for my competitive nature, and things like leaderboards and competitions give me increased motivation to surpass any obstacles I may encounter. I am able to support my family very well and have never been able to earm more incentives than I do now. From gift cards to electronics to trips it is all possible if you simply put forth the effort. I have been with the company less than 2 years and will surpass the $140,000 mark this year. I fully expect to increase that next year. Where else can you work for a company where you can make in the mid six figures in your second year while also earning other forms of recognition and praise. Again all you have to do is the complete job, what you're hired for.

Cons

Although they are few and far between, I have encountered a few very common cons; though they are unavoidable and there is no quick fix. When you are considered a leader, you become a victim of your own success. As much weight as you think you can pull can never be enough, as you become responsible for making up the areas where others are lacking. Relating to that, being at the top makes it difficult to have many work friendships, as people are generally not as friendly as they would be if you were only a mediocre member of the team. Also, when people are used to you exceeding expectations, recognition is hard to come by, as when you are consisitent the leadership becomes an expectation instead of an anomoly. This has happened in almost all of my past postions, and I have found is simply part of being good at your job. Too many people posting no sales or low sales which puts the pressure on the good sellers. If you want water, don't go to the desert... Maybe just removing the "desert" a tad quicker would help the consistent high sellers.

To me, if would be beneficial to have the ability to do my job the way I know I can do it, with full trust and encouragement from my managers. As a top seller, management knows I can do it and the confidence in me and my abilities would go a long way. Have 100% trust in me, of others don't sell or are caught doing something they shouldn't, don't bring it down on me. Don't include me in that class. Don't micromanage your top salespeople because of your outliers. Know that I am out there busting my butt every day and that the motivation I have is the $ I will make to feed and support my family. Trust in me and I will in you. Otherwise, simply keep up the amazing work; your knowledge and understanding of the job knows no bounds.

Great Opportunity for Advancement

Current Employee - Digital Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Manager

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many companies are actually expanding, opening new offices and offering opportunities for advancement like Localedge. Tons of new opportunities this year with a great outlook for more of same next year. This company recognizes and rewards success. Tens of thousands of customers and an A+ BBB rating should tell you this is a solid organization committed to success, for its employees as well as its customers.

Cons

No sales organization is perfect and neither is Localedge. The difference is that Localedge is looking to identify and improve across the board.

A solid company and a lot of opportunity for learning, advancement.

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is an excellent place to work if you're starting a career in Internet marketing. The compensation is competitive for entry level work, and the culture among employees has been very welcoming in my experience.

From the time I was hired, management let me play to my strengths. There's work for technical types, creative types even something in-between. I wasn't forced to working for a department or product that I didn't have a the skill-set for. However, I've always been granted the room to expand that skill-set with training opportunities and hiring from within postings.

In the department that I work in, there is usually some type of room for advancement every few months. If you put forth the time to work above your current position, you will get rewarded. Those that move on tend to launch into their next career step, or gain the skills to strike out on their own.

Cons

Sometimes it can feel like the company's big picture is too reliant on sales. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing and it's very profitable, it can feel like the potential of their products get diluted by misinformed customers or too much work.

Striving for Perfection

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Abilene, TX

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined the Localedge sales team after 8 months of searching for a sales opportunity. I could afford to be picky because I had a good job where I was established. Localedge has all of the qualities I was looking for in my future employer; extensive product training, helpful unique sales tools, and an overly informative human resources department. The upper management of the company is obsessed with creating the best work environment possible for all employees it is a fun, laid back, but professional.

Cons

Upon joining Localedge there were many management changes which can be frustrating for any employee; new or existing. But as said in the pros section this was all done in stride to develop the best work environment and office moral as possible our sales team has a great dynamic and everyone is very helpful.

Success Is From Within

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Midland, TX

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Success is from within...every opportunity weather its cold calling, premising, or meeting a new potential client is a opportunity for YOU to capitalize on whether YOUR successful or not. LocalEdge gives you the tools and platform for you to succeed. I have worked at LocalEdge for 6 months and endured the ups and downs of the sales world however; I make and break my month. I love the positive energy from our office in Midland TX. If you want a career that compensates you well, with the potential of endless growth come to LocalEdge.

Cons

Like in any sales career the month to month grind can be hectic. If you love money and the adrenaline rush of closing a sale then the grind is worth it.

Many offices throughout LocalEdge have 1 or 2 tenured employees that bring negative energy to an office which leads to low morale. Cut ties with them sooner than later...to many new hires are tainted by their negativity which spirals way out of control.

Company that provides out-dated services and is moving too slowly and inadequately to improve.

Current Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Rockledge, FL
    Current Employee - Multimedia Consultant in Rockledge, FL

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They try to help local business owners get more exposure to customers.

Cons

Their products and services are, in my opinion, not worth the expense because majority of local business owners don't have enough capital (especially if they're relatively new) to do this kind of "marketing."

Felt pressure and micro-managed

Former Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom during the day to travel around the market

Cons

Micro Managed and felt a lot of pressure on the sales floor. product that we were selling did not meet any sort of quality standard

So much opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined LocalEdge because I believed in what the company was trying to do, and it was a struggle but we are finally getting there. When Hearst brought in new leadership in 2013, it was like getting a shot of adrenalin. In just a couple of months, sales reps got electronic contracts, iPads and a CRM tool after years of being told that electronic contracts were not possible, ipads were expensive, and who needs CRM when you have Excel? Every quarter, Mike Deluca makes a promise, and every quarter he delivers. We are now doing the fun things that everyone talks about that used to happen in the "hey-days". Things like the holiday party, department cookouts, game rooms at all of the corporate locations. They have made significant investment in salary as well, giving out generous raises and redefining a lot of jobs over the last year and a half.

Cons

This is hard work no matter what department you're in, but hard work pays off. If you're looking for a 9-5 job where you leave your worries at the door, you need to look elsewhere because LocalEdge wants people who are passionate about what they do, people who don't just complain but instead own the issues and look for solutions. Are there "toxic" people here? Yes. It's like any workplace where you're going to find people who will never be happy or find the good in what they have. Avoid getting caught in their trap.

You can't make everyone happy, but don't ignore the negative reviews here. There are some common themes that can help address the culture as well as some things that need to be fixed. There is a special email address for people to send ideas to Mike - keep circulating that so people know they have a voice. I think some people may still be afraid to speak up because that wasn't the culture of the past. Personally, I am very pleased what what I've seen of your accomplishments and how that has impacted how I do my own job.

Need to find a direction and stick with ot

Former Employee - Sales in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Fast Advancement, Many Products

Cons

Inexperienced Fulfillment Teams
    Lost Training Team w no leadership
    No Work/Life Balance
    Favoritism
    Direction Changes Daily
    No Transparency
    Does not put their customers first

Be TRANSPARENT
    Be open to change
    Put your customers first
    Treat your hard workers well- don't run them over