LocalEdge

Updated November 14, 2014
2.8

LocalEdge President, Revenue & Operations Mike Deluca
Mike Deluca

Pros
  • When Hearst brought in new leadership in 2013, it was like getting a shot of adrenalin (in 6 reviews)

• This is one of the top paying sales positions in Erie PA with no overnight travel & a high base salary (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Better communication is needed between customer service and product (in 13 reviews)

• Then the sales reps mostly just lie to the customer which in turn creates huge problems/lawsuits (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Striving for Perfection

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Abilene, TX

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined the Localedge sales team after 8 months of searching for a sales opportunity. I could afford to be picky because I had a good job where I was established. Localedge has all of the qualities I was looking for in my future employer; extensive product training, helpful unique sales tools, and an overly informative human resources department. The upper management of the company is obsessed with creating the best work environment possible for all employees it is a fun, laid back, but professional.

Cons

Upon joining Localedge there were many management changes which can be frustrating for any employee; new or existing. But as said in the pros section this was all done in stride to develop the best work environment and office moral as possible our sales team has a great dynamic and everyone is very helpful.

Success Is From Within

Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Media Executive in Midland, TX

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Success is from within...every opportunity weather its cold calling, premising, or meeting a new potential client is a opportunity for YOU to capitalize on whether YOUR successful or not. LocalEdge gives you the tools and platform for you to succeed. I have worked at LocalEdge for 6 months and endured the ups and downs of the sales world however; I make and break my month. I love the positive energy from our office in Midland TX. If you want a career that compensates you well, with the potential of endless growth come to LocalEdge.

Cons

Like in any sales career the month to month grind can be hectic. If you love money and the adrenaline rush of closing a sale then the grind is worth it.

Many offices throughout LocalEdge have 1 or 2 tenured employees that bring negative energy to an office which leads to low morale. Cut ties with them sooner than later...to many new hires are tainted by their negativity which spirals way out of control.

So much opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined LocalEdge because I believed in what the company was trying to do, and it was a struggle but we are finally getting there. When Hearst brought in new leadership in 2013, it was like getting a shot of adrenalin. In just a couple of months, sales reps got electronic contracts, iPads and a CRM tool after years of being told that electronic contracts were not possible, ipads were expensive, and who needs CRM when you have Excel? Every quarter, Mike Deluca makes a promise, and every quarter he delivers. We are now doing the fun things that everyone talks about that used to happen in the "hey-days". Things like the holiday party, department cookouts, game rooms at all of the corporate locations. They have made significant investment in salary as well, giving out generous raises and redefining a lot of jobs over the last year and a half.

Cons

This is hard work no matter what department you're in, but hard work pays off. If you're looking for a 9-5 job where you leave your worries at the door, you need to look elsewhere because LocalEdge wants people who are passionate about what they do, people who don't just complain but instead own the issues and look for solutions. Are there "toxic" people here? Yes. It's like any workplace where you're going to find people who will never be happy or find the good in what they have. Avoid getting caught in their trap.

You can't make everyone happy, but don't ignore the negative reviews here. There are some common themes that can help address the culture as well as some things that need to be fixed. There is a special email address for people to send ideas to Mike - keep circulating that so people know they have a voice. I think some people may still be afraid to speak up because that wasn't the culture of the past. Personally, I am very pleased what what I've seen of your accomplishments and how that has impacted how I do my own job.

Need to find a direction and stick with ot

Former Employee - Sales in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Fast Advancement, Many Products

Cons

Inexperienced Fulfillment Teams
    Lost Training Team w no leadership
    No Work/Life Balance
    Favoritism
    Direction Changes Daily
    No Transparency
    Does not put their customers first

Be TRANSPARENT
    Be open to change
    Put your customers first
    Treat your hard workers well- don't run them over

RE-"So much opportunity! ” NOT! A manager obviously wrote that reveiw.

I worked at LocalEdge

Pros

"So much opportunity" the only opportunity you get is when someone gets fired or quit at a position.

Cons

I've been working at LocalEdge for a long time. LocalEdge has continue to struggle since I've been there. Yes, the company is growing, but unfortunately LocalEdge is only looking at the "number" aka "sales". Yes, the sales team has been given iPads to show clients our products. But the web team has been asking for iPads and other devices to check for quality on our customer's websites. We have one ipad (first version) to share with 10 developers............sorry 5 developers because 5 quit and found better jobs including me!
    "Every quarter, Mike Deluca makes a promise, and every quarter he delivers." LIES..... Nothing against Mike D. I'm sure he really tries to come through with his promises, not every was done. Let's not try to act like we're perfect. Let's not talk about raises......

"There is a special email address for people to send ideas to Mike - keep circulating that so people know they have a voice. " I know for a fact the this "emails" gets ignored. The sad thing is..... I really wanted an exit interview and I was denied.

Nothing actually changes here...

Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Standard health benefits/401k. Your coworkers are the only saving grace LocalEdge has going for it. They are the real reason you continue to come to work. They become your best friends and allies. They’re the only ones that will truly ever understand the toxicity that runs rampant in LocalEdge.

Cons

Why don’t we start with the basics: this company is a digital marketing company, but they can’t even provide their employees technology that is reliable. On a whole, we waste a considerable amount of time waiting for a browser window to open or a program to open. Imagine how awesome it is to be on the phone with a customer and have nothing open up or just plain not work for you. So helpful when trying to solve a problem or fix something for a customer who is already unhappy. It really makes people feel like they can be productive!
    The real problem at LocalEdge, however, is that nothing will ever truly change or get better. Why? Because while the upper management likes to talk a big game about wanting to keep its customers happy and retain their business, they let sales do whatever they want without any consequences and continue to provide inconsistent product performance. The real mission here is: keep piling on new sales, and do whatever it takes to get that contract signed! Then once the sale is made, the customer’s head is full of god-knows-what, and the real fun begins.
    Not all sales reps are created equal, but the ones that are actually good at their jobs and make sure the customer doesn’t have a head full of delusions of digital marketing grandeur are given the boot because they can’t make their numbers goals. The other issue here is that sales reps aren’t even trained well enough on the products they’re selling. They don’t know, because their sales trainers don’t seem to know either. They could probably solve this by making sure sales reps know not just the products but the process they have to follow to start a customer’s contract properly.
    Once a customer is signed on, the people who have to work on the products are essentially left to clean up the messes made by shoddy sales pitches and even shoddier accounting work. Charging a customer for a product that hasn’t even launched yet is pretty much fraud, no matter how you chop it up. Products don’t get launched immediately, and can take weeks or even months to get started due to sales reps not getting the fulfillment team the right info, or even the customer not knowing they were going to need to respond to LocalEdge teams to get things rolling. Good communication is extremely rare and company-wide employees need to worry about whether or not they are going to be blamed for something they had no control over. The other issue once a product gets to the fulfillment team is there just plain aren’t enough people. Upper management claims this is a “time-management” issue. Sorry guys, but you’re just wrong. If you came down from your ivory tower and sat with your fulfillment teams and saw the work they do day-to-day, you’d realize you can’t launch countless new customers and maintain existing customers without upping your work force to handle the overload. And the companies outsourced to are a complete mess, so don’t try to use that as an out here. HIRE MORE PEOPLE. Everyone is doing the best they can, but eventually, you’re going to lose good people.
    Speaking of losing good people: LocalEdge BLEEDS good people. Some lower level management is good at providing positive recognition, but an archaic review system and a terrible compensation scheme keeps exemplary employees severely underpaid and overworked. No one, not even the exemplary employees, get accurate reviews because then LocalEdge would have to explain the miniscule raises people receive. You can put all the ping pong tables you want in the breakrooms, you’re never going to keep underpaid and overworked employees happy until you pay them what they’re worth.
    Keep in mind that customers also see that the people they talk to disappear too. A constant complaint from customers is that they have to talk to countless numbers of people at LocalEdge because their previous person – be it a sales rep or an SEO Strategist – leaves for a better opportunity.

Lead by example. Don’t show up to work 45 minutes late on a daily basis, take two hour lunches and then talk to people like they’re a nuisance when they need you to do your job. If you showed up on time, ready to work like the rest of us, you wouldn’t need to be snippy and stressed to get your own work done before you leave promptly at 5. Stop treating salaried employees like they’re children. If you don’t trust us to get our work done, don’t employ us. Stop making promises you can’t keep. Only when you start to make your employees (who are on a whole very good at their jobs and very willing to do what they need to do to keep your customers happy) feel like they are valued will you start to see real change in the company. You can’t be passionate about your job unless you work for a company that cares about you as an employee. Until you provide sales reps, fulfillment and management with the tools and training they need to succeed, you’re just going to stay mediocre and unprofitable.

Web Department sucks! Bad management! Everyone is leaving

Current Employee - Web Coordinator in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Web Coordinator in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People I work with and having a 30 minute lunch break away from this place

Cons

Coordinators and Web Designer come in and out of this place. Our department has the highest turnover rate out of the whole company and the "higher ups" don't care. The manager doesn't know how to treat people (loves to show off his power)! You tell me if it's right to say we're growing as a team so now we can hire more people.......so we hire 2 people and fire 3 people (just one example). Who would want to work for a place where you don't know if your job is secure. Where we're told every year that things will get better, but they never do.

No point, our opinions never matter! It's pretty sad!

Wrong place to grow

Current Employee - Digital Account ExecAccount in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Digital Account ExecAccount in Erie, PA

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging sales position, good experience to take with you when you finally run for the exit door...

Cons

Live in fear of keeping your job.

Seriously? They know so much better than me, just ask them!

Customer service is non-existent.

Current Employee - Digital Account Executive in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Account Executive in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at LocalEdge full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of nice people working there, but they are endlessly trying to improve a banal, stagnant, and depressing workplace.

Cons

The BBB listing for this company shows 37 complaints in the last year, including 20 for products/service. Read them and you'll see a recurring theme... over promise/under deliver, phone calls not returned, and requests for cancellation ignored. They are still responding to so many complaints that the BBB won't assign them a letter rating.

Severe lack of employee training.

Realize that your customers are good people. They are spending what little advertising money they have, but are not nearly getting an equal return from the products they are purchasing. Far from it, in fact.

Worst experience

I worked at LocalEdge full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason on working for this company is being able to have a steady income to provide for your family

Cons

Dealing with incompetent people

My advice to manAgement is hire people who have the customers best interest at heart. Because you're in business to provide products to consumers.