LocalNet

Marc P. Silvestri

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Buffalo, NY

I worked at LocalNet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- You won't be micromanaged and there is a great deal of freedom assuming that you get your work done in a timely fashion.
    - Non-formal and fun work environment
    - Project oriented with very little end-user support. If you're basing your opinion of this place on the other reviews from Technical Support representatives, don't.
    - Great place to learn valuable skills (you will work with a bunch of industry-standard open source software such as openldap, freeradius, bacula, postfix, postgres, etc.). While I ultimately moved away from Buffalo for personal reasons, this job has done wonders for my resume.

Cons

- Benefits are not paid 100%
    - On call rotation (If you're a sysadmin, you know that this is a necessary evil almost anywhere you go)
    - Upper management can be stubborn and set in their ways

It's no longer 1999, and you can't coast forever on a dwindling customer base. Don't be afraid to try new things and embrace change.

Used to be great...

Current Employee - Tech Support Associate in Williamsville, NY
    Current Employee - Tech Support Associate in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at LocalNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great starter job for those looking to get into help desk work, or customer service, and the co-workers are great.

Cons

Questionable policies toward customers, and shrinking customer base. Frequent layoffs as of late, and seemingly lack of caring by the upper management.

ADVERTISE! We used to do a lot more advertising, and we grew a lot during that time, but our advertising budget has been cut to almost nothing, so growth is nil. When customers have bad experiences they are more likely to tell more people than if they have good experiences, so long hold times, and bad cancel policies are going to give the company a bad rap, whereas keeping hold times to as close to 0 as possible, and making policies easier for customers to deal with, will increase the happiness, and loyalty of the customers. More accurate DSL tools will help as well, currently there are a lot of false positives that show people are able to get DSL, when they are not, also huge issues with the telco's not connecting DSL to internal wiring, which should be addressed with the telco's, and is not. Giving the tech department more access to the DSL tool would be helpful as well, so they can run line tests when looking for potential issues, instead of limiting it to the team leads access only. Also, due to lack of growth, potential to move into management is non-existent. Pay is also below average for similar work elsewhere, which is a big reason people leave the company.

Fun!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Williamsville, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at LocalNet

Pros

Fun easy going workplace. Decent start pay. Perfect for college students. Everyone including management is very friendly. Sometime reminds me of the tv show The Office.

Cons

It is a call center job, so its very frustrating and boring at times. But any call center job is like that. NO comission for sales.

Comission?

Work for the experience, leave when something better comes along.

Former Employee - Tech Support Associate in Williamsville, NY
    Former Employee - Tech Support Associate in Williamsville, NY

I worked at LocalNet

Pros

They are very flexible with your schedules and you'll get days off guaranteed.

Cons

The techs are some of the most cliquey people you will ever meet. Unless you love being a anti social hermit who plays video games all day, don't expect to get along with them. They get upset over the most trivial thing and they are creepy to work with if you are female.

Don't expect to get a adequate raise either and watch out for attendance.

Pay at a competitive rate. The wages I had were absolutely pathetic. Instead of pouring money into useless BBQ dinners, just give us raises.

Also stop cutting corners at every turn. If you managed to not use used computers that run linux then maybe you wouldn't have so many outages.