Location Labs Reviews

1. Great culture and opportunity to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs

Pros

Culture: there's a huge emphasis on creating a positive culture and people are down to earth and have pride in the products we create. We always have company events, in and outside of the office. I've worked for many other companies where hand-holding, micro-management and awful attitudes was the way, LL is not that.
    Growth: teams are encouraged to keep learning, they promote professional development. You are treated "like an adult" and motivated individuals move up the ranks.

Good benefits, Friday lunches, great work/life balance. Senior management folks are approachable and down to earth.

Cons

We still run like a start-up, sometimes the small community feel is great, but sometimes it's a bit unorganized. Although, I have been seeing some improvements in HR, IT and other teams that are currently growing within the last year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love working at Location Labs.

2. Great place to develop and grow

I have been working at Location Labs full-time

Pros

Great people, office has a unique energy, managers encourage development and growth. It's a diverse group, with people from all over the world, and although a majority play ultimate, everyone has unique interests which they are happy to share. Every night is a different activity, from yoga to badminton to shooting arts to softball. The goal-oriented style of management defines exactly what success looks like and metrics help measure how well I'm doing and where I can improve. Daily SCRUMs, in addition to weekly goals, 30 day, 60 day and 90 day plans aligns expectations and helps collaboration. Goals are not just about your role, but how you want to grow professionally and personally. My manager wants to help me develop and the direction I grow is open to me. They're there to give me the resources to get there. There is a lot of freedom on the job, if you have an idea or something that interests you, you're encouraged to find the time to develop it.

Cons

The biggest con is it is unclear how to advance. I'd like more transparency about how to build towards the next step, by defining exactly what knowledge, skills and abilities is required to move up. Lack of organization. There are so many different tools and applications, work often gets duplicated because you can't find the resource you need so you have to recreate it. A lot of time is spent trying to get organized and aligned. We would benefit a lot by putting putting processes in place to save time and energy.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to be more transparent. If you have a reason for doing things, people will understand. If you don't explain things, people automatically assume it's unfair and complain.

3. I need to speak up this is not right

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse co workers with a varied breadth of knowledge among them. Free food on Fridays and unlimited snacks throughout the week

Cons

Low Morale, absurd IT department, you will only move up based on who you know and if they are personal friends outside of work. Mischievous executives.

My title is "I need to speak up this is not right" because i felt I needed to let both glassdoor and potential employees know that the recent influx of positive reviews for this company is false and it's a directive by the CEO and other executives to bury the negative albeit correct reviews of this company for former and possible future employees.

I have had a mediocre experience with locationlabs in the year and a half that I have been employees there but both my positives and negatives ring true. I don't feel comfortable with the falsification of the positive reviews when I know they are blatantly fraudulent, that taints and goes against everything that glassdoor is here to offer for future employees of both locationlabs and other companies listed on this web site.

Please stop the falsification of bogus reviews and asking your employees to lie for you. Do something about the IT department as they are out of control and it affects all aspects of making great software. I don't need to list this issues as all you would need to do is ask any software engineer or if the "open door policy" granted true immunity then you would have the truth about how the leadership of IT affects the entire process of making great software.

Advice to Management

Stop polluting your employee base with "yes sir men" stop fabricating a false image of your company and please do something about the IT department.

Location Labs Response

Jul 2, 2015COO

Software Engineer in Test, lots of vitriol here directed at our small (understaffed) IT team. Very sorry to hear that you haven't gotten what you wanted from that team--I know that they are working ... More

People Care About Doing Things Well

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The team is full of people who have been with the company for over five (or even ten) years. It's no accident that so many people have stayed so much longer than the industry average; working here is challenging and rewarding.

There's a large emphasis on mentorship and creating opportunities for employees to learn and grow into more responsibility. People care deeply about making things (software, culture, management) work well. Most people feel like they have a stake in the company's success.

The perks are nice, too.

Cons

The company has been around longer than most companies its size and some of what worked a few years ago doesn't work as well anymore.

Management increasingly emphasizes running a better organization, including a greater investment in HR, training, and infrastructure, but these improvements have not reached all parts of the organization equally.

Advice to Management

Keep working on building a great organization. Stay diligent about creating opportunities for growth.

Lots of opportunity for smart and motivated people

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Location Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined because of the incredible people I met during the interview and the medical benefits (covers 100% of premiums in a phenomenal plan).

I stay because of the active meritocracy (people are encouraged and rewarded for finding opportunities to improve and make an impact) and the people are the smartest I've ever worked with.

The product space is interesting and makes a real impact on people's lives - several examples where product has been used to locate an abducted child, find elderly family member with alzheimer's who wandered off.

Cons

Location Labs is kept behind the brand of the carriers so it's hard to get public recognition for what we do

Not a lot of structure around performance reviews, requires personal drive to make growth happen (though I hear this is being worked on) which isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep the fast, hungry spirit as we continue to grow
    Reinforce your open door policy (not enough people take advantage of it)
    Keep making improvements in HR (we needed it) and keep cutting folks sooner who aren't the right fit with values and caliber of the overall team

A great place to learn

I have been working at Location Labs

Pros

Fun place to work that gives lots of opportunities to grow. There are people who started on the customer support team now designing new products. QA engineers now tackling work as a developer. Most start-ups seem to be up and out... this place encourages folks to stay and learn.

Cons

There's always new projects going on and sometimes hard to keep track of them.

Easy to get in but hard to get anywhere else.

I worked at Location Labs

Pros

Friday lunch
    free coffee
    free snacks
    if you are a frisbee player, that's all the qualification you need to get in the door

Cons

Lots of bias towards frisbee players and not necessarily their skill level
    Hard to see anyway forward in career
    Pay difference between genders even though same workload
    HR is a chaos
    Harsh but non constructive criticism
    High turnover rate
    Not great benefits

Super chill culture where driven folks can really grow their careers

I have been working at Location Labs full-time

Pros

The most human company I've ever been a part of.

The company gives big career opportunities to folks who make an impact. Meritocracy isn't just a buzz word - it's a core value of the company that can be backed up with many, many examples of folks who have been promoted from within including all of the executives.

The fun side of the company's culture is driven by the employees not the HR team. Employees genuinely enjoy spending time together inside and outside of work and have formed little groups around their passions - anything from ultimate frisbee to crafts to mixology and more.

Cons

There are sooo many social groups/activities/events and there isn't one place to keep track of all of them. You can miss out on a bunch if you don't stay connected.

Unethical Hiring Practices

I worked at Location Labs

Pros

The company has an awesome culture and is pro-health, pro-fitness, and people have a deep passion for their role. They have a lot of impressive talent there. The company is founded by engineers, and so they have developed a really good environment.

Cons

Unfortunately, they have unethical hiring practices. They will give a verbal offer to the candidate, but if the candidate attempts to negotiate for a better compensation position, they will lie and stall that candidate, in hopes to find other candidates that will work for a cheaper salary.

This was a big shock for a company that has such a wonderful culture, but yet permit bad actors with collision from HR to practice these types activities.

Advice to Management

Executive/VP management should conform to a high level of integrity and ethical practices. Such practices shouldn't be permitted as this would not help develop trust and positive image for the organization.

Location Labs Response

May 22, 2015COO

Yikes. Very sorry that you had a bad experience, Anonymous, and thanks for raising it--I assure you that this is not how we intend to operate. A few relevant notes:

1) Every employment offer is
    ... More

11. Nice people

I worked at Location Labs

Pros

Nice place to work where long hours aren't expected, but are put in when a project is coming down on you

Cons

Older demographics, social atmosphere is a little strange

RSS Feed </> Embed