Location Labs

Tasso Roumeliotis

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Great place to work. Coworkers tend to be friendly, smart, and hard-working. Exec team is very approachable. Casual atmosphere with lots of opportunities for learning and growth. Opportunity to influence and work on projects for which there are large numbers of paying consumers. Last but not least: the culture of success. Taking pride in one’s work, solving problems, and working well with others tends to get recognized and celebrated.

Cons

This is a company slowly shaking off its small company origins and accepting the reality of being a mid-size operation. Internal structures and lines of communication, where they exist, are still being tried on for size. This is no longer the place for someone who wants a “10 people in a garage” feel... but nor is it for the faint of heart who need tons of structure.

Great company, great opportunities

Pros

As a quickly growing company, Location Labs offers a multitude of opportunities to learn and explore. Add onto that a product suite that benefits the lives of millions of people and a great team to work with at the office, and you have an awesome company. The perks (food, locally roasted coffee, company trips, etc.) certainly don't hurt, either!

Cons

Along the same lines, there are growth pains as everybody learns to work with an ever-expanding team. It's certainly a challenge.

Exciting, hard driving environment with enormous opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer, Tech Lead  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer, Tech Lead in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Great coworkers who are driven, interesting and enjoyable people. Real paths to advancement and real meritocracy. Pleasant office space and location convenient to transit.

Strong culture of support and training. Open engineering discussion and decision making.

Cons

Most current products are produced and distributed in partnership with large mobile carriers. Large companies can be complex to deal with. Large sales lead times and contracts require more extensive planning than direct-to-consumer products.

Food choices near office sometimes feel limiting.

Find a way to make product roadmap more clear with partners.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

* Locations Labs has a great work environment that promotes professional development and collaborative problem solving.
    * They make a serious effort to make the work experience a positive one with lots of in office amenities/perks, company events, as well as groups and activities outside the office.
    * Opportunities for advancement and increased responsibility are there to be earned and grabbed for the proactive and motivated.
    * Great people!

Cons

Working with the cell phone carriers poses challenges to the day to day execution of projects that can be frustrating at times.

Some growing pains as the company expands.

Keep improving internal communication as things can change quickly!

LL provides opportunities for those distant to the Tech World

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Emeryville, CA

Pros

- Slack hours of operations
    - Excellent Project managers that oversee work and guide each individual through their tasks.
    - Easy going environment, with plenty of warm and embracing individuals

Cons

- Opportunities for advancement:
    This is one of the the cornerstones of the company. However, you may find yourself stuck in that position for a while.
    - Directional problems:
    I found that due to the amount of projects and managers, one could be bogged down in work and not know the priorities at hand.

Establish better communication between the various departments' managers and leads.

A growing company that gives you the freedom to grow with it

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

Pros

The best thing about this company is it has great people. You will like working with your coworkers, and together they make a great atmosphere and work environment. There is still a small company feel despite being an established, profitable company. There are good perks, such as a gym, catered lunch on Fridays, subsidized cell phone bill, and much more. Most of all, this is a great place to learn and develop in your career. There are many opportunities to advance internally, and even change departments if you wish. You will be given the opportunity to succeed.

Cons

Location Labs works with major cell phone carriers, as partners. However, it often does not feel like a partnership but instead like you must do what the carriers desire. There is also a certain amount of missed opportunity and slow product movement, in part due to this relationship. Occasionally there is a lack of organization and infrastructure. Automated processes are still being introduced and need to be developed more fully.

Keep the small company spirit as you grow. Focus on quality engineering hires. Invest heavily in automation.

Challenge and opportunity - the best a young professional could hope for...

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Despite being quite a sizable company now, Location Labs has not lost sight of its startup roots - working hard always seems to pay off in troves.

I face complex problems every day, and my project list never seems to get shorter, but I constantly feel encouraged to attempt to achieve the impossible by embracing the challenges. I have never before felt so simultaneously trusted, empowered, and challenged by a job.

Along that thread, I'm impressed at how incredibly supportive the company is of projects and initiatives. Management is happy to lend its support and resources. I have never been told "no" to a good idea - but am almost always asked "But how can we do that better or more efficiently?"

Lastly, my immediate team in particular, but the Location Labs team in general, is filled with talent and character. I have never been surrounded by more capable and dedicated people in my life. We're a winning team and it shows.

Cons

We sometimes still communicate as if only 20 people work here. It's usually not an issue, but on bigger projects, a little more formalized processes would speed things along.

Keep guiding us through the transition to becoming a larger and larger company. I'm excited to see how Location Labs handles our continued growth.

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Startup environment,
    you get opportunity to work with smart people.
    Good growth chances.
    If you have any problem you can talk to any one even Engineering head/ VP/ CTO. They are ready to listen any time.

Cons

Not formalized process,
    no cubicle,
    Since the company is in growing phase, there are lots of changes now and then.

Should focus more on formalizing the process.
    Should focus on other product/project also to diversify the company protfolio .

High Potential player but moving slowly & Cautiously.

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

I have not written for any of my ex company where I have worked, however I am compelled to write about Location labs. I can surely write some adjectives like super culture, excellent skills and cool environment. I also wants to give you more in-depth details as to why LL ( Location Labs) is among the top rated companies to work for. Few good reasons

1) Probably a very few companies developing Products for Windows8, Android, iphone and HTML5 and targeting every device be it Tablet, HDPI and others

2) Product Based organization in real sense, in terms of Story boarding, Wire-frames, PRDs and Visuals with dedicated product managers contributing and accessible to engineers

3) Engineers are more valued than the CEO himself and I am not overrating it. You got to talk to any of our engineers

4) LL employees are sought out in market like anything right from FB to Amazon.

5) Literally every one is filled with innovative ideas and some of these proof points are shown to ATT as customers. So an engineer idea is shown directly to the consumer.

And overall, the products have potential of reaching to some exponential heights be in the space of LBS or M2M.

Cons

I wish we could have launched our Products in India and everywhere. We are not that aggressive in our approach.

Okay, too many of late night calls were hampering the work-life balance, it does comes along since LL US is based on west coast.

Long term planning in terms of visibility are something needed to be looked into. and I am sure without the Product Management Team out here in India gives a very tunnel vision & may not give an entire picture of things.

Sitting away from customer i.e. US parents and carriers is not encouraging.

Again, we got to be real captive and aggressive in our market acquisition strategy.

The holistic growth plan should have Global inclusion in all terms.

A Very open cultured company and approachable senior management

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Executive  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Executive in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

Work hard and party harder kind of culture.....flexibility to work, enormous opportunities to explore your potential..!!

Cons

Infrastructure is not very great, but quite decent

Need to change the infrastructure and match the standards of market....which help this great company to even look greater.

Worked for Location Labs? Contribute to the Community!